Old 1st February 2009, 22:49   #1201
Senior - BHPian

horror for frequent tailers
what mileage mhawk owners gettin?
Old 1st February 2009, 22:58   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
LOL, Raj, this solid ball really helps! An Omni discovered much to its horror how much damage it inflicts!
Attachment 96179

And I'd recommend that you buy the Shield warranty. I did so many moons ago.
Quote:
There are creative souls with great foresight, LOL!
Shankar got one retro-fitted to his Scorpio LX 2WD!! Will stand him in very good stead, I dare say!
But then, he's the most experienced M&M kindered soul here!
i really like those bumpers anup sir but sadly those are available only in the 4x4. and i am not interested to retrofit them into my 4x2 scorp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Mathur saab - the 4wds are the only ones with the ball, right? Lol... something doesn't sound right in that statement!

Anyway, my Scorp has a rear guard in addition to the tow hook giving an added degree of protection:

Attachment 96244

Maybe not the most elegant looking thing, but it does the job. Notice the dent in the left side of the guard - that came with the truck when I bought it. Interestingly, a Santro ran into the back of the Scorp recently (not sure what he had been smoking...), and hit the very same spot on the guard. So no damage done to me, am sure the Santro dude wishes he could say the same!
i am not a big fan of rear guards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
horror for frequent tailers
what mileage mhawk owners gettin?
my running is with 100% AC and i face some of the mumbai's worst traffic. for example, it takes me close to 1.5-2 hours to travel 30 kms!

so i get 10 kmpl in city, under normal city conditions, you can expect more. also, i am not exactly someone who drives with a light foot, so i feel you should get 11 kmpl easily in city with AC.

on the highways, i get 13-14 kmpl, this is again with 100% AC. once with some pune traffic & constant speed on highway & no AC, i got 16 kmpl.
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:57   #1203
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

very nice pics roshun
and the scorp looks lovely!
cheers and happy adventuring
shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Here are a few Scorp pictures from a recent weekend trip to Jeolikote (before Nainital). We had stayed at this place called The Cottage Jeolikote. Nice comfy place.
On day 2 there, I just took a drive around the area - from one tal to another tal - Nainital - Bhimtal - Nakuchiatal etc, just doing some lazy sightseeing (Stop, click, ponder for a few minutes, go)

Pics taken near this paragliding spot above Nakuchiatal (place called Padigaon).
Old 2nd February 2009, 05:45   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Mathur saab - the 4wds are the only ones with the ball, right? Lol... something doesn't sound right in that statement!

Anyway, my Scorp has a rear guard in addition to the tow hook giving an added degree of protection:!
Guys, can anyone tell me what is the rated towing capacity of the Scorpio? 2.6/2.2??
Old 2nd February 2009, 07:41   #1205
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Dont know the exact rating figures but this may give you an idea.

A normal 2WD scorpio/ bolero can easily tow another vehicle of the same type.

Ive personally towed a number of maruti 800's and Omnis which had gotten stuck, using my 2WD Bolero fitted with the Mahindra Heavy Duty Towhook, in the floods of 2005 in Bangalore.
Once when my Bolero Diesel pump was clogged a Service Scorpio easily towed the Bolero to the workshop - around 5 km distance.

I also know for a fact that a Scorpio 4WD with the rear ball type PINTLE HOOK can tow a normal jeep trailer fully loaded with about 600-800 Kgs of Coffee - I ve seen it being used this way.

Ive not yet had the opportunity of towing any other vehicle in my Scorpio 2WD (which is fitted with the same 4WD Pintle Hook) but I am very sure it will easily be upto the job on normal tarmac and normal non-slushy dirt road conditions. For towing in slushy areas and/ or sandy areas, it is better to use a proper 4WD vehicle for better grip and so as not to skid/ burn the clutch etc.

While performing emergency towing in cities/ towns, use only low gear. it is always better to use a rigid tow bar with a minimum of 4-6 feet distance between the two vehicles.

Heavy duty steel rope can also be used and/ or steel cored nylon cord, but both drivers need to be very alert and at all times have their warning flashers on. Distance needs to be maintained between the vehicles, especially in our conditions.

For commercial towing - trailers etc, the trailer has a rigid tow bar attached anyway so obviously one can get into higher gears as per surface and as per need/ speed. However, towing regularly does tend to take its toll on the towing vehicles gear box, clutch and so on. Which is why largely, people use the older generation Mahindra Jeeps in this manner OR simply invest in a proper tractor -trailer combo.

Anup Mathur and Roshun will be able to add value on this discussion.

Cheers

SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Guys, can anyone tell me what is the rated towing capacity of the Scorpio? 2.6/2.2??

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd February 2009 at 07:48.
Old 2nd February 2009, 08:37   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Anup Mathur and Roshun will be able to add value on this discussion.
Certainly not I! Haven't done any towing. Only ever pulled out two cars from water logged situations.

Those are good tips for novices; specially about the rigid tow bars! Ropes, if used by novices, create impact loads which often turn the towing venture into a demolition derby, LOL!
Old 2nd February 2009, 08:52   #1207
Senior - BHPian

ive got a question if the towing ball thingie doesnt break on heavy loads,wont the whole rear bumper get ripped out?
or is it strong enough

Last edited by vinaydas : 2nd February 2009 at 08:54.
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:26   #1208
Senior - BHPian

oops my bad i dint notice its not connected to the rear bumper in any way.. @ mods 20 mins up to edit
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:41   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Hi Roshun,

Excellent pics, brings back memories of my trips on the same roads in my fathers Jeep. (I belong to Nainital).

Just a quick question, does this Cottege Jeolikot belongs to Rawsons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Here are a few Scorp pictures from a recent weekend trip to Jeolikote (before Nainital). We had stayed at this place called The Cottage Jeolikote. Nice comfy place.
On day 2 there, I just took a drive around the area - from one tal to another tal - Nainital - Bhimtal - Nakuchiatal etc, just doing some lazy sightseeing (Stop, click, ponder for a few minutes, go)

Pics taken near this paragliding spot above Nakuchiatal (place called Padigaon).
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:23   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ive got a question if the towing ball thingie doesnt break on heavy loads,wont the whole rear bumper get ripped out?
or is it strong enough
Quote:
oops my bad i dint notice its not connected to the rear bumper in any way.. @ mods 20 mins up to edit
yes, i think its connected to the chassis itself... anup sir, razor or roshun can help.
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:27   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i loved the second pic roshun, you know why... the tag which reads 'scorpio 4WD' gives me a high!
Thanks Raj, and that's precisely the reason I added the badging there. M&M only provides one measly 4wd badge on the rear door.

Apart from the trailer hook, rear bumper, protruding hubs (now hidden with my alloys) and that badge, there's no way to differentiate the 4wd from the usual DX on the outside.

Cheers,
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:03   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi Roshun,

Excellent pics, brings back memories of my trips on the same roads in my fathers Jeep. (I belong to Nainital).

Just a quick question, does this Cottege Jeolikot belongs to Rawsons.
Hi,
Thanks, pity I didn't take too many more with just the Scorp in them (as I normally do).

No, the cottage belongs to a lady called Bhuvan Kumari. Here's a link to her website:
The Cottage Jeolikot Nainital Delhi Peace Comfortable Cottage Hills

Cheers,
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:10   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
Certainly not I! Haven't done any towing. Only ever pulled out two cars from water logged situations.

Those are good tips for novices; specially about the rigid tow bars! Ropes, if used by novices, create impact loads which often turn the towing venture into a demolition derby, LOL!
Neither have I pulled a trailer with the Scorp. I think I read somewhere that it's rated to 1-tonne capacity. The only towing I've done with the Scorp is pulling out a colleague's car that got stuck in soft slush after a downpour.

Plus, standard jeep trailers here come with an "eye" trailer attachment and don't suit the pintel hook that the Scorp is equipped with. One can tow such a trailer for a short distance on level ground, but not on inclines (as the trailer can just pop right off).

EDIT: Mods, I can't seem to multi-quote. Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Last edited by Roshun : 2nd February 2009 at 17:11. Reason: Too many posts too soon.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:26   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Raj,
It is always advised to opt for Extended warranty. I shall opt for the same before 50000km or 2 years!! Real peace of mind!!

Roshun, Your scorp looks nice with the sky backdrop!!

I am looking for the same tow hook to be put on my 2 WD!! just for rear protection. My earlier 7 seater had the foot step which was helpful for other cars to keep distance. But with 8 seater on mHawk my back is more prone for rear ending!!

Last edited by getsurya : 2nd February 2009 at 17:28.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:45   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
yes, i think its connected to the chassis itself... anup sir, razor or roshun can help.
Yep, it is attached to the chassis, not the bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I am looking for the same tow hook to be put on my 2 WD!! just for rear protection. My earlier 7 seater had the foot step which was helpful for other cars to keep distance. But with 8 seater on mHawk my back is more prone for rear ending!!
Surya, if it's just to protect your err.. behind , why go for a tow hook? Would suggest you get a strong rear guard fabricated or get one off the shelf (if you find a design that appeals) - paint it the colour of your truck if you think that helps.
The hook would protect a small part of the rear - there may be occasions when you get hit to its left or right. A guard would offer more protection in such situations.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks