Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 19:52   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
while we are at it, can someone let me know if i can download any free bedtime stories from the net? my son is no absolutely bored stiff with the same stories but with different variations. Right now i am out of stories to tell my child while putting him to sleep. Any help will be highly appreciated.
funnily enough, I have been telling the same story to my son for past 1.5 years that I made up about a bul, a bulbul, a wolf and a lion . We call it THE bedtime story.

here a video of him reading a regular story book. And I think it should be "my dog my cat, my momma and I" not "me".

Old 26th February 2010, 12:16   #152
BHPian

My four year old boy pointing to his scrotum says " Appa, there are two balls here!"

Mods: I hope it is not vulgar, My boy said it with such sincerity
Old 26th February 2010, 12:21   #153
Senior - BHPian

Gosh! Pull out that cable TV outta your house.

On the other hand, I don't know how I'll react
if my kid says that!
Old 26th February 2010, 12:28   #154
BHPian

It was not the TV effect. After bath, before dressing up he sort of became aware of two round things there similar to a ball and acknowedged it.
Dont be shocked, just reassure them it is normal.
But it was such a beautiful moment, the spontaneity and sincerity with which he said it. Something like Einstein discovering gravity!
Old 26th February 2010, 20:39   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
It was not the TV effect. After bath, before dressing up he sort of became aware of two round things there similar to a ball and acknowedged it.
Dont be shocked, just reassure them it is normal.
But it was such a beautiful moment, the spontaneity and sincerity with which he said it. Something like Einstein discovering gravity!

ha..ha.yeah kids come up with real cute stuff. On my recent visit to a toy shop, we both were checking out the toys there and upon finding a transformer, my son just screamed "MAN !!, look at the this awsome bumblebee(one of the transformers i suppose)". There was a another couple closeby and they had such as suprised look on their faces and my wife was more embarassed than I was. Then finally i realized that , he got this from one of his cousins , who had visited us from seychelles. Thats how the other child used to address his elder sis and brother, so my son also has started using the same much to our embarassment . But when we reached home me and my wife just had a good laugh and had to explain to him that parents should not be addressed that way and probably not even friends. But am not sure how much of it registered in him, will have to wait till the next visit to the toy store. But this time, i am going to stay out...

One more things parents need to watchout for is kids taking school buses and vans which transport older kids too. A lot of bad language and behaviour is picked up from there. I have strict instructions to the van driver to keep him close to him as much as possible, hoping that the veiw from the front and the vehicles ahead of him will keep him distracted from whatever is happening within the van. Btw, the hottest words in school vans now is "Chill dude", "Awsome dude", "wicked" and the ones between 5-7 years were only talking about transformers and ninja hatori. About how i got to know it, well my wife travelled in the van for a day to get a hang of the super cool, super dude current gen behavior. Needless to say she got out the van pretty much shell shocked at their vocabulary at this young age.

Last edited by Rotorhead : 26th February 2010 at 20:41.
Old 9th May 2010, 15:15   #156
BHPian

My son is 3 years 2 months as of today. He is attending playschool, Friday (day before yesterday) was their last day before summer break. Since yesterday he has been repeatedly saying, "I will not go to school". Last night while talking about not going to school he said, "I am a bad boy" a few times and tears welled up in his eyes. I can't describe the exact feeling for want of words.

I am beginning to suspect the teachers and/or ayahs may have been not sensitive in disciplining him. His teacher never mentioned any discipline issues during any of the PTMs. Once he came back with a new vocabulary “ganda bachha”. I immediately complained that the ayahs should not be using such words on the kids. My son is not an angel but he is not a terror either.

This school started splash pool session every Friday since three weeks back. My son enjoyed it a lot last year. However this year he did not want to participate at all after the first week. If we mention he simply says “no”. He even asked us to remove his change of cloth from his school bag.

There seem to be a common thread here but we have not been able to get any plausible reason directly from him. I would appreciate insights from more experienced members here. Maybe I should change school when summer break is over.

Last edited by Guite : 9th May 2010 at 15:19.
Old 9th May 2010, 19:15   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
My son is 3 years 2 months as of today. He is attending playschool, Friday (day before yesterday) was their last day before summer break. Since yesterday he has been repeatedly saying, "I will not go to school". Last night while talking about not going to school he said, "I am a bad boy" a few times and tears welled up in his eyes. I can't describe the exact feeling for want of words.

I am beginning to suspect the teachers and/or ayahs may have been not sensitive in disciplining him. His teacher never mentioned any discipline issues during any of the PTMs. Once he came back with a new vocabulary “ganda bachha”. I immediately complained that the ayahs should not be using such words on the kids. My son is not an angel but he is not a terror either.

This school started splash pool session every Friday since three weeks back. My son enjoyed it a lot last year. However this year he did not want to participate at all after the first week. If we mention he simply says “no”. He even asked us to remove his change of cloth from his school bag.

There seem to be a common thread here but we have not been able to get any plausible reason directly from him. I would appreciate insights from more experienced members here. Maybe I should change school when summer break is over.
I may be going on a tangent here, but given an option to desensitize my son, or sensitize his caretakers, I would choose the former. I mean, when he goes out to the real world, he will face all those things, and you can't control the surroundings there. I would start with explaining that "bad boy" at 3 is not necessarily a bad thing. all kids make trouble at that age at some point of time (for you: don't expect him not to be a terror ever, it's acceptable ).

about pool session, find about if he is scared of water, and get him accustomed to it by going with him yourself a couple times. Happens if kids swallow water at first instance and come out coughing. And not trying to scare you, but also keep eyes open for possible teasing/abuse. these can have long term effects and they really need your intervention. And I would still look at desensitization as an option if possible.

And I would advise against changing school, unless there is a compelling reason to do so.
Old 10th May 2010, 00:00   #158
BHPian

Thanks vivek for the advise on desensitisation, that approach never occured to me. Now that you mention it, I agree with you that it will be for the long term good.

As for the water pool activity, his last year's experience demonstrates that he is not scared of water. Last year he was watched by his mom as it was part of summer break activity. But not this year because it is part of normal school activity.
Old 10th May 2010, 22:04   #159
Senior - BHPian

My little girl's almost 6 months now, and its amazing how she does certain things. For one, she loves machines and electronic appliances! She knows exactly where the Tv and the laptop, with respect to the other things in the room. We are very firm on the fact that she's not going to watch any TV until she's atleast 3 years old.But this lil brat knows exactly where to turn in order to get a glimpse of the screen (TV or the laptop, ie). Sometimes she'll even stretch out so far as to almost jump off our hands to see what's going on the TV.
Kids these days! God alone know what all's in store for us. Gotta say it though, we'r enjoying every bit of parenthood..
Old 11th May 2010, 14:23   #160
Team-BHP Support

I saw Guite's post last night and was meaning to reply, but in the meanwhile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
...given an option to desensitize my son, or sensitize his caretakers, I would choose the former...
Quote:
... keep eyes open for possible teasing/abuse. these can have long term effects and they really need your intervention....
Quote:
...And I would advise against changing school, unless there is a compelling reason to do so.
I agree with vivekiny2k's points above 100%!

Add to that :
1) Ask your son who calls him a bad boy & why? Just ask him in a casual friendly way when he brings it up. This might shed some light on the situation.

2) You say he stopped wanting to go swimming after the first week. Was it a sudden change? Once again, have you tried asking him why? What was his reasoning?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th May 2010 at 14:28.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:34   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
My little girl's almost 6 months now, and its amazing how she does certain things. For one, she loves machines and electronic appliances! She knows exactly where the Tv and the laptop, with respect to the other things in the room. We are very firm on the fact that she's not going to watch any TV until she's atleast 3 years old.But this lil brat knows exactly where to turn in order to get a glimpse of the screen (TV or the laptop, ie). Sometimes she'll even stretch out so far as to almost jump off our hands to see what's going on the TV.
Kids these days! God alone know what all's in store for us. Gotta say it though, we'r enjoying every bit of parenthood..
And I thought we were the only ones! That's exactly what our daughter is doing - to the extent of jumping out of our hands. Only thing is - she just turned three months old! Wifey says keeping her off TV is going to be one tough job. But we both are committed to doing that. Strictly no TV for the first 3 years at least - even if it means that we have to stay off it as well.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:46   #162
Team-BHP Support

With both me and my wife working, we entrusted our 7 month old ddaughter to a full-time maid whom we hired through an agency. This was after we tried all sources such as known people, friends and relatives to help in sourcing us a maid.

The little one used to totally enjoy being given a bath when my wife used to look after her, and bathe her. After the maid started bathing her, we realized the kid is terrified of water, and started yelling as soon as she saw water being prepared to bathe her. We arent sure of what exactly happened, but we've fired the maid, and its taking a long journey to get the little one accustomed to water.

Other instances also pointed out to the fact that the maid wasnt doing her job right, despite being a person in her 40's.

Its quite sad about the lack of trustworthy people these days to look after kids, meaning that the lady of the house needs to throw away her career for the sake of her kids.

Currently, we are managing through the services of a creche, where the child is really happy, and absolutely loves going.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:52   #163
BANNED

Why this aversion to TV?

I do let my child who is 2 years watch TV. Mostly the music channels, he likes music a lot. I dont think he understands vulgar or non vulgar bit, yet. And other channels like Cartoon Network.

What he does mostly is when a song starts playing he will watch it on screen for a few seconds and walk away. But the TV should be left on for him to "hear" the song play. I tried playing him music CDs but he prefers the audio/visual experience more.
If the songs stop playing on the TV he just swiches the TV off and walks away.

Is this a bad thing. He is least bothered to look at the TV if there are any serials or sports going on, rather anything non music he will not turn towards the TV. He does have some favourite ads though mostly those having kids in them.

Is this ok or is watching TV a strict no-no. Instead of banning TV totally I think I should instead ask him to look at the beneficial aspects. And leave the effects good/bad as he grows up.

Other then that he just loves to play outside. If given a choice between TV and playing outside he wants to go outside. So I am fine with that.

Last edited by Spitfire : 11th May 2010 at 15:54.
Old 11th May 2010, 17:54   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why this aversion to TV?

Is this ok or is watching TV a strict no-no. Instead of banning TV totally I think I should instead ask him to look at the beneficial aspects. And leave the effects good/bad as he grows up.

Other then that he just loves to play outside. If given a choice between TV and playing outside he wants to go outside. So I am fine with that.
In our case we are more afraid of the harm TV can cause to the kids eyes rather than the actual content on TV. My sister's son as well as my brother-in-law's daughter (one from my side and one from wifey's side) had to start wearing spectacles from an early age (before turning 6) because of TV watching. We really don't want that to happen to our daughter.
Regarding the outdoors - that's the best distraction to TV. We plan to take our daughter out to parks from an early age so that she is more hooked to outdoors than TV.
Old 11th May 2010, 18:16   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Currently, we are managing through the services of a creche, where the child is really happy, and absolutely loves going.
which creche? where is it located?
my daughter is in her sixth month, and we may need the service soon, as we both are working.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks