Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2015, 23:15   #901
BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Been using Mee Mee Fluoride Free toothpaste for my kid since last 3 months. He just turned 2 this month.

Attachment 1384763
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I have used pigeon, but I like the 6+/12+ month flavor of Chicco toothpastes. Given all the brouhaha on the food stuff recently, and given some recent stories I've heard about this business, I would strongly advise you to use only an international brand with impeccable credentials like Chicco.
Thanks guys!! I just got the Chicco Banana flavor a couple of days back and my kiddo seems to like it..
Old 1st July 2015, 18:07   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
We bought a Graco LiteRider from The Baby Shop in Ulsoor (Bangalore) when my daughter was about 6 months old. We used it for the next 3 years. It's been to half a dozen countries and survived some pretty rough usage with no hassles. Features we liked:
  • It can be folded up with one hand and carried
  • Fits into the boot of a Swift (underneath the parcel tray)
  • Stands vertically on its own when folded
  • Basket underneath is pretty strong and can accommodate 5-6 kg of shopping bags etc easily
  • Comes with 3 cupholders - one for baby and two for you!
The only not-so-good feature is the small wheel size and hard "tyres" which make it difficult to navigate uneven surfaces (like cobblestones for example).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I use this. Been using it since my boy was about 3-4 months. Earlier he used to lie down in, but now at 1.5 years, he sits, and will be able to use it for another 2 years, I am sure.
Its folds up like an umbrella, weighs about 5-6 kgs, and has a shoulder strap so can be carried like a golf-bag. Fits in a santro boot too, under a woofer, so , pretty compact. Has been all over india, all the malls, all the restaurants, anywhere the boy has been. Nifty carrier under the seat as well, takes not much, but enough. eg: milk/egg runs with the baby.

http://www.meemee.in/baby-stroller-927.html?___SID=U
Thanks to Mayank and Ajit for suggestions. Bought Graco Mirage Plus Stroller for my 3 months old daughter. Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.in/Mirage-Stroller...co+mirage+plus

Had evaluated Chicco, Mothercare and other local Indian brands as well. The options boiled down to Graco Mirage Plus, Chicco Simplicity and Chicco Cortina. Cortina was too bulky for our needs so finally opted for Graco Mirage Plus over Chicco Simplicity due to build quality and price difference.

Mom & Mee is running some impressive promotions on Strollers so check those out before you buy online. You will be surprised. And no need to visit there store, call them and ask for Make/Model/Price, compare with Amazon/Flipkart and then decide
Old 18th July 2015, 12:02   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
This thread is to share the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences with parenthood.

Lessons I want to share:
Set a good example (Very Important): He just imitates our speech and behaviour. If we set a good example, he will definitely a good individual.

Do not be stingy in showing love: They want our time, care and love more than anything else. Toys can never replace the time we can share with them.

Encourage him to do good things. A smile/ clap when he does something good (taking newspaper from outside, switching off tv when asked for etc) gives encouragement to do it again.
Quoted you to thank you for this nice thread.

Kids are beautiful and so is parenting; the role I truly love. I even dropped a flourishing career 2 years back the time when my son started schooling just to be with him in the evenings and do homework together. Like every father, I too feel that my son is the best Its after I started my parenting role that I truly realized the meaning of sacrifices and the amount of struggle that my parents took in bringing me up.
Honestly, I like it - when he presses all the buttons in the lift, when he spills the melting chocolate / ice-cream on his shirt, when he used to wed the bed in infancy stages (We minimized usage of diapers while at home), when we watch cartoons together, his small cries when I bite his cheeks and many more.

Lessons -
Children will not do as per advise. they only do what they have learnt from their parents.
Be a friend to your child/children, listen to them, encourage them to open up and let this habit continue for long time
Children wont understand quality time. they know and care only about quantity time. so be prepared to waste time

Happy parenting
Old 18th July 2015, 18:26   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Quoted you to thank you for this nice thread.
Kids are beautiful and so is parenting; the role I truly love. I even dropped a flourishing career 2 years back the time when my son started schooling just to be with him in the evenings and do homework together. Like every father, I too feel that my son is the best Its after I started my parenting role that I truly realized the meaning of sacrifices and the amount of struggle that my parents took in bringing me up.
That is a very good decision. If you spend time with him now and become his best friend, he will be a good son and be close to you for life time. The time spend with kid during childhood is very important. The mistake many parents do is to think that working hard for children compensate for the lack of quality time spend with them. It is like giving a toy to a child who is in need for food.

Quote:
Lessons -
Children will not do as per advise. they only do what they have learnt from their parents.
Be a friend to your child/children, listen to them, encourage them to open up and let this habit continue for long time
Children wont understand quality time. they know and care only about quantity time. so be prepared to waste time

Happy parenting
Old 28th September 2015, 17:20   #905
BHPian

Friends, In my childhood, one of the good magazine i read was the "MISHA" which was published from USSR. Is their any similiar magazine for kids, published here?
Old 28th September 2015, 17:35   #906
Distinguished - BHPian

Blessed with a daughter on 22nd! Enjoying sleepless nights!
Old 28th September 2015, 23:31   #907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Congratulations Saket !
Old 29th September 2015, 07:39   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Friends, In my childhood, one of the good magazine i read was the "MISHA" which was published from USSR. Is their any similiar magazine for kids, published here?
MISHA is the one book I loved a lot during my childhood days.
I had only one, and it was my favourite. I had a small square shaped hard bound, white colour. Had short stories.

Quote:
Many many congratulations Saket !! All these sleepless nights will be forgetten soon as your kid starts her activities. May be in 2 months or so... It will be a different bliss to see her trying to communicate so much...
Old 29th September 2015, 13:59   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Congratulations Saket !
Thanks Sagar for your wishes. Nice to hear from you.

Quote:
Many many congratulations Saket !! All these sleepless nights will be forgetten soon as your kid starts her activities. May be in 2 months or so... It will be a different bliss to see her trying to communicate so much...
Thanks Saumyajit! 2 months sounds assuring! She sleeps all through the day and keeps awake at night! We are waiting for the time when she starts recognizing us and start communication through her actions!

Thanks guys!

Regards,
Saket
Old 29th September 2015, 14:09   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Saumyajit! 2 months sounds assuring! She sleeps all through the day and keeps awake at night! We are waiting for the time when she starts recognizing us and start communication through her actions!

Thanks guys!

Regards,
Saket
Your happiness would have no limits when she starts recognizing you both.
Best moment is when she will see you after a while (after you return from work) and smile or roll her eyes.

Enjoy all the moments, later you would realize that those sleepless nights were nothing compared to the happiness you get.
Old 29th September 2015, 14:15   #911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your happiness would have no limits when she starts recognizing you both.
Best moment is when she will see you after a while (after you return from work) and smile or roll her eyes.

Enjoy all the moments, later you would realize that those sleepless nights were nothing compared to the happiness you get.
Thanks Saumyajit! That is fascinating! Waiting for the time to come.
Old 29th September 2015, 14:20   #912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Very many congartulatons!!
The forum will probably see a lot less of you in the coming days.

Quote:
Its worrying actually.
I am sort of in a similar situation. As my son is growing up, I am worried that he will not have access to such books. Misha was killed off after 90, as were the many books which could be picked up at the book fairs.
The kind of books that are available off the shelf nowadays for kids today, compared to what we were getting.......Geez! Utter nonsense you get.
WHat I did for my nephew, though a few years back, was go to a lot of used book stores. So the backalleys in shimla, goa, Pondicherry,paris etc. You get a lot of Misha type mags, and books that are intelligent.

Also check out the "young reader" section on secondhandbooksindia.com
Youll have to login before you can browse categories, thats a gripe. Its good, condition of books is excellent, and the collection is huge!
Old 29th September 2015, 14:28   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

Its worrying actually.
I am sort of in a similar situation. As my son is growing up, I am worried that he will not have access to such books. Misha was killed off after 90, as were the many books which could be picked up at the book fairs.
The kind of books that are available off the shelf nowadays for kids today, compared to what we were getting.......Geez! Utter nonsense you get.
WHat I did for my nephew, though a few years back, was go to a lot of used book stores. So the backalleys in shimla, goa, Pondicherry,paris etc. You get a lot of Misha type mags, and books that are intelligent.

Youll have to login before you can browse categories, thats a gripe. Its good, condition of books is excellent, and the collection is huge!
Magazines, I don't know. We buy Geronimo Stilton for our 4 yo son which helps broaden his perspectives at this age.

Further he LOVES dinosaurs and can recognize over two dozen of them and loves to collect their images / fridge stickers and what not. So we bought a few books of that as well.

We have an encyclopaedia which didnt really work since he didnt have the patience.

He's all enthu for real world demonstration of science though - heat, air, gravity etc. Teach him the concepts by a book and he'll try to claw your face in boredom.
Old 29th September 2015, 14:28   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This looks like a low-life's website. Just checking the Delivery page, and it gives me creeps and boils my blood. So many terms and conditions !! Seriously !
http://www.secondhandbooksindia.com/delivery.php
Old 29th September 2015, 14:39   #915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good one there Mayank! Thanks a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks