Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 23:19   #286
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
1. Watch taare zameen par

2. writing one page of same spelling is not going to help if she did not get it in the first place. I guess you need to explain her what "where" "who" and "when" mean. teach her how to use them in sentences, and then tell her how to write, starting with each syllable, assuming she already has learnt what sound each letter of alphabet represents. That should be the first step.

I think the whole process is backwards here.

EDIT: since you asked for technique, here's one I used. write CAT, ask her to pronounce it, help her, and then replace T with P. she should pick up that it's cap, after a couple tries. Try the same with 'tot' and 'top', 'pot' with 'pop' etc and soon she will know P stands for 'p' sound. I did it when my son was 3, your daughter may already have been thru this.
The ICSE syllabus has a course of Phonic sounds like Aa, Baa, Kaa, Daaa

With this the kids catch pronounciation a bit faster and precise.

Nothing to fret about the trouble, your kid will overcome it very soon.
Old 1st July 2010, 23:29   #287
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how brilliantly the 5 year olds can think.

Smriti happened to drop a box on the floor. She immediately asked me, "Papa, why do things fall down?".

I started thinking as to how best I can talk to her about gravitational force so that she can understand it. I did not reply immediately. She then said, "I know why it fell down". I asked "Tell me". She then says, "Simple, because it does not have wings".
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:00   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
My daughter doesn't know there is something called as cartoons. TVs is a strict NO when I am at home.
If you really mean a big NO to TV, then I guess that itself is a little disaster. Reason? Mind always wants to do the thing that is not allowed to do. Try to make it controlled & let alone the kid think free instead of pushing our ideas. For instance I like hearing retro music, but I don't insist my Son to listen them. Just keep it free & make the kids understand that too much of anything is bad be it TV, food or outdoors. Let alone their mind think free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
The desktop icons are changed to Alphabets which we change on regular intervals and she knows how to open the playlists, play/pause, next and repeat functions. That keeps her busy when wifey is busy.
Good idea; will do this once my Son grows a little more. Instead we chose to paste posters of shapes/numbers/animals/birds/transports/vegetables/fruits on the wall instead of book. Planning to buy a white board & marker once he joins school

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
children at that age are moody. I personally won't force them to eat anything, but keep away unhealthy choices so when they feel the need to eat, they have healthy food.
Rightly said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Guys need help to tutor and better technique to teach and make kids remember , my daughter is in 1st class , she just memorize and good at oral and recollecting , but when she has to read , she is absolutely clueless.
The best way to make your kid learn is, learn along with them. Keep murmuring or repeating (as if unintentionally) while the kid watches. Trust me it works!!! Writing alone doesn't help. All the more, never raise voice with kids, give them the reasons as why it cannot be done. They'll understand better than grown-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I started thinking as to how best I can talk to her about gravitational force so that she can understand it. I did not reply immediately. She then said, "I know why it fell down". I asked "Tell me". She then says, "Simple, because it does not have wings".
This is the best thing I love to hear. Please google or refer, learn & give them the scientific explanation in simple terms even if they don't understand. If not now, they'll understand this in due course of time. The mind does a brilliant job at some point in future by recalling all these explanation.
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:12   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This is the best thing I love to hear. Please google or refer, learn & give them the scientific explanation in simple terms even if they don't understand. If not now, they'll understand this in due course of time. The mind does a brilliant job at some point in future by recalling all these explanation.
I have been doing this for quite some time now. She has a lot of books which I read for her. She keeps asking me about things, and I try to tell her in a manner that she can easily relate to.

For example, she asks me to narrate "fan story". She asked me how we feel the air when the fan is on. I had to introduce the concept of molecules, and how the energy gets transferred and all that stuff, in a very "kid friendly" manner. She now knows these things. It really is a challenge to talk to kids in a manner that they can understand, but it is fun doing so.
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:57   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been doing this for quite some time now. She has a lot of books which I read for her. She keeps asking me about things, and I try to tell her in a manner that she can easily relate to.
Yes, that's the way to go about

Quote:
I had to introduce the concept of molecules, and how the energy gets transferred and all that stuff, in a very "kid friendly" manner. She now knows these things. It really is a challenge to talk to kids in a manner that they can understand, but it is fun doing so.
Oh!!! well well, no molecules required. Just say air is present all around you push the air with fan so that the air pushes you kind of basic answers. Alternatively you can refer (I should be doing this soon) sites such as Science With Me - Science Website for Kids, Science for Kids - Fun Experiments, Cool Facts, Online Games, Activities, Projects, Ideas, Technology for cool explanation.
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:41   #291
Senior - BHPian

Have come across a lot of books in Hypercity which are good starters for all those forthcoming inquistive questions. My wife keeps pestering me to buy those books and stock it so that we are prepared but I keep stalling it saying our kid is too young to start knowing all those complex things of life. Let him atleast start asking questions.
In fact before he asks any questions, I start the subject so it makes him think before he answers however vague the answer might be. But he thinks for a while which I feel is a must coz these days in schools the basics to thinking, finding anwers on their own concept is lost.
Old 2nd July 2010, 20:23   #292
Senior - BHPian

@Ghodlur - I would rather lookup to Google than waste my money on books. Having said that, I like to stock up books on automobiles

Quote:
In fact before he asks any questions, I start the subject so it makes him think before he answers however vague the answer might be. But he thinks for a while which I feel is a must coz these days in schools the basics to thinking, finding anwers on their own concept is lost
Very true; I do this all the time with my Son. I ask him a counter question & ask him to think & answer. But has its own cons - he does the same with you. He asks you some question, for which he knows the answer, and expects you to answer it back.
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:07   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Ghodlur - I would rather lookup to Google than waste my money on books.
There is a hidden danger in doing this.

Whenever you turn to the computer for answers to the kid's questions, the kid will, in turn, subconsciously develop a habit of turning to the computer.

This habit could be very difficult to control and manage at higher ages near 10 years and beyond.

Whereas there are lots of plus points of developing the book reading habit.
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:24   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Whenever you turn to the computer for answers to the kid's questions, the kid will, in turn, subconsciously develop a habit of turning to the computer.
Oh!!! I should've been more specific; the point being that google to find out the answer, but not immediately in front of the kid.

Quote:
This habit could be very difficult to control and manage at higher ages near 10 years and beyond.
I'll keep that in mind. I'm already planning to install a firewall to keep away unwanted sites.

Quote:
Whereas there are lots of plus points of developing the book reading habit.
Very valid point; pls provide some pointers as I'm not a big fan of reading books.
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:01   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
pls provide some pointers as I'm not a big fan of reading books.
Enid Blyton is the first name that comes to mind. Probably the most popular author of children's literature.

Some other authors are Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll, Robert Louis Stevenson, Rudyard Kipling. And of course, J. K. Rowling.

Themes are related to adventure, mystery, magic, fantasy, fairy tales. These elements nourish imagination and creativity. Especially when in a academic oriented schooling system.

At higher ages of 12+, Isaac Asimov is a good choice. I would even go to the extent of saying Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie.

At small ages near 5, Aesop's Fables, Tenali Rama stories, Birbal stories, Panchatantra tales can be read to the kid.

BTW, all these are worth reading for adults as well.

P.S. These are based on my experience, not necessarily universal. I had Shakespeare's Julius Caesar full text in my high school. Hence I think science fiction and detective stories make much better reading.
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:57   #296
BANNED

Me - dad of 2.

The elder is in UKG, at my alma mater. I had got some charts for her before we put her in school. And there was the pic of a Jeep in one of them. While learning about "J", she turns around to me, and asks, "dad, can we buy a Jeep?"

I got her a Hummer. A remote control one.

And she once built a - hold your breath - JCB, complete with the front bucket using interlocking blocks when she was less than 2.

The younger one is 20 months 3-4 months, he opened up, while we were relaxing in the garden, and for about one full hour, he was pointing at various trees, leaves, and birds and asking "what is that", in his kiddie accent. After that, he decided to shut up.

So, one day, while he was figuring out how to open a pack of biscuits, I snatched it away from him, hoping to make him at least cry. He stood up, in rage, lifts a finger at me and shouts:-

"baaaad boy!!!"

He still would not say "amma", not yet. But when his grand mom asks him "who are you"; he replies smartly "I am dad's".

BTW, both of them have realized that hitting the smaller button on the tall thing near the TV like thing on dad's table is the only way to get dad's attention, if dad is looking at car pics. So, the button is used 2-3 times a day :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Something like Einstein discovering gravity!
Dude, you better get your history / physics right. You really do not want your kid lose marks in class because you did not know something, right?

Quote:
At small ages near 5, Aesop's Fables, Tenali Rama stories, Birbal stories, Panchatantra tales can be read to the kid.

Amar Chitra Katha has an online shopping site. My first on line purchase was from there. And yes, we do read them out for both the kids.

I am now looking for meccano set.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 3rd July 2010 at 22:02.
Old 4th July 2010, 19:57   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Dude, you better get your history / physics right. You really do not want your kid lose marks in class because you did not know something, right?
Sheesh!
I promise I wont go anywhere near teaching my son! god promise!
Old 4th July 2010, 21:28   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Sheesh!
I promise I wont go anywhere near teaching my son! god promise!
On second thoughts ... didn't Einstein discover a lot about gravity? You can always get away by telling your son that you meant the effect of gravity on light. But children these days are pretty smart. They will catch you sooner.
Old 6th July 2010, 11:22   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Enid Blyton is the first name that comes to mind. Probably the most popular author of children's literature.
Some other authors are Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll, Robert Louis Stevenson, Rudyard Kipling. And of course, J. K. Rowling.
Themes are related to adventure, mystery, magic, fantasy, fairy tales. These elements nourish imagination and creativity. Especially when in a academic oriented schooling system.
Initially I have got my son some books which have good graphics and some story since he casnt read still. Some things about Disney characters, Winnie the pooh etc where either me or my wife can read the stories and he can see the pictures. We also have got him the books about animal basics but he's more interested in vehicle basics and make it a point to open is first whenever we ask him to sit down and read the books. The way he gets excited seeing those machines, I believe I will have to open an T-BHP account soon for him.
Old 12th July 2010, 19:08   #300
Senior - BHPian

Went to purdue yesterday to give the family a tour. Vikrant was excited to see "Daddy's school".

First question after we arrive, "Dad, where are your toys?".

I also realized he has been missing a lot of things when he asked, "dad, what's a bus stop?", upon seeing one.

After explaining that this is where the bus stops, next question, "So, where is 'bus go' ?".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks