Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 01:09   #226
Senior - BHPian

Hey Pawan, That was a really very nasty incident. I hope the angel is fine now. I know hearts of the parents lies in their angels. Mine too.

Just would suggest you to keep a good first-aid box handy. Dont forget to acquaint your wife and mom too. Sometimes they can be life savers.
Old 24th June 2010, 09:06   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
She tripped over her school bag right in our bedroom. All she wanted to do was finish her homework. Next minute she's collapsing on the floor, In Shock, her breath is struck somewhere within her lungs, My wife is cold and nervous and i just outside the room hear no voices suddenly.

I rush to see my kid down on floor not moving, presence of mind made me hit her hard several times to re-susciate her and get her breath back.
Good presence of mind. Good to hear that your Angel is back to being normal.

This gives raise to a question to me. Is there a small first aid course which we can undergo somewhere? That might come in very handy at any point of time in our life.
Old 24th June 2010, 09:12   #228
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hey Pawan, That was a really very nasty incident. I hope the angel is fine now. I know hearts of the parents lies in their angels. Mine too.

Just would suggest you to keep a good first-aid box handy. Dont forget to acquaint your wife and mom too. Sometimes they can be life savers.
She's just fine , again jumping and running around the house, bunking her school for a good 3 days

First Aid is handy at home always, but i feel parents must learn few first Aid tricks in such emergencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Good presence of mind. Good to hear that your Angel is back to being normal.

This gives raise to a question to me. Is there a small first aid course which we can undergo somewhere? That might come in very handy at any point of time in our life.
Thank you.

I strongly feel, we parents need to undergo some sort of training to act as per, during such emergencies.

Good that you told me this, will need to talk to my kids pediatrician and get some gyaan. Any doctors on board can help us here.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:48   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
My take, don't "give" it to him. When he asks for it, control it.
Vivek - My opinion is the more you control, the more uncontrollable they will remain. My point to convey is not to let them free, but to remain controlled when & where. There's a world of difference when the kid asks for a knife compared to spoon to play. Likewise controlling for ice-creams during fever is good while on summers is not so nice.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:40   #230
Senior - BHPian

Going thru the posts I can see my 3 ys old son is no different from others when it comes to throwing tantrums. He has this habit of asking for chips, biscuits or cars whenever we go out to a mall or some aquaintance place. It becomes a bit embarassing when he starts crying in front of everyone when not given to his demand. No amount of cajoling, sweet talking has any effect on him, finally we have to concede and give him whatever he asks to calm him down. But this behaviour is slightly getting out of hand. We have tried to explain him things he shouldn't be doing but thats all in the house, once outside he goes back to his ways.
Maybe my parents have been pampering him too much, cant say anything to them either. Me and my wife are both confused. Surprisingly he doesn't behave that way in his school (as per his teacher).
Old 24th June 2010, 16:12   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Going thru the posts I can see my 3 ys old son is no different from others when it comes to throwing tantrums. He has this habit of asking for chips, biscuits or cars whenever we go out to a mall or some aquaintance place. It becomes a bit embarassing when he starts crying in front of everyone when not given to his demand. No amount of cajoling, sweet talking has any effect on him, finally we have to concede and give him whatever he asks to calm him down. But this behaviour is slightly getting out of hand. We have tried to explain him things he shouldn't be doing but thats all in the house, once outside he goes back to his ways.
Maybe my parents have been pampering him too much, cant say anything to them either. Me and my wife are both confused. Surprisingly he doesn't behave that way in his school (as per his teacher).
Always be firm with the child. As your son knows that you are going to in if he throws tantrums, so he does exactly that. Few times just dont be emabarrased and carry on. May be just leave the mall then and there and come back. Tell him its beacause of his behaviour. Advise your parents too to pamper him only as much as they pampered you .
The teacher in the school is firm thats why he does not.
Old 24th June 2010, 16:23   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Advise your parents too to pamper him only as much as they pampered you .
I tried doing this with my parents and in laws, but to no effect. Grandparents somehow feel that it is their right to pamper the grandchildren.
Old 24th June 2010, 18:18   #233
Senior - BHPian

Over the years I have learnt that we can commit blunders in case of emergency because of ignorance, and its important we go thru some kind of emergency care course to be able to save others.

@pavan, what kind of homework she has to do at 4?

off topic, imagine my surprise when my son (4) shouted while waiting at a signal "hey, that's a nissan cube". He was right.
Old 24th June 2010, 19:51   #234
Senior - BHPian

Well, my Son only needs reasoning for everything as why it should or shouldn't be done. Once the justification is given, he accepts it. But it has its own pitfalls (we're suffering now) that he's asking too much of questions, I mean really too much. Not sure how to control them!!!
Old 24th June 2010, 20:55   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ghodlur : It becomes a bit embarassing when he starts crying in front of everyone when not given to his demand..
Is it possible in such situations to come out of the place ? if you are at a friends house, and he starts this tantrum, can you just head home ? I'm sure your friends would undertand. A few times of doing this may drive home the message that there is still something that's not in hands when he is demanding things.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:26   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Going thru the posts I can see my 3 ys old son is no different from others when it comes to throwing tantrums. He has this habit of asking for chips, ...............

Maybe my parents have been pampering him too much, cant say anything to them either.
Since he is fine at other venues, I strongly feel the above could be the root cause.

Let me relate it with a personal experience I usually undergo with my son who is now 4 yrs.

We go to mall, and as soon as he passes thru a toy section his demands start. This toy, that toy etc etc....I am pretty happy to say that(touchwood), I would be successful in distracting him from his stong demands and things would be in control. ...all izz well ....

Enter scene, my parents, who visit us periodically. The above scenario remains the same with the only difference that he is now held through the toy section by my parents. As expected, he starts of with his usual demands. Slowly the urge grows stronger as I am not allowed to handle the scene by my parents who have already set his expectations. My mom has a toy in her hand, dad with another one in his hand ! what else is required for my son ! Then I interfere strongly by objecting the action as I dont want to cultivate a feeling in him that he gets whatever he demands. That's when my son throws his tantrums and starts crying !

As someone mentioned here, parents pamper their grandchildren without any limits ! We cant blame them either..
Old 24th June 2010, 23:09   #237
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Since he is fine at other venues, I strongly feel the above could be the root cause.

Let me relate it with a personal experience I usually undergo with my son who is now 4 yrs.

We go to mall, and as soon as he passes thru a toy section his demands start. This toy, that toy etc etc....I am pretty happy to say that(touchwood), I would be successful in distracting him from his stong demands and things would be in control. ...all izz well ....

Enter scene, my parents, who visit us periodically. The above scenario remains the same with the only difference that he is now held through the toy section by my parents. As expected, he starts of with his usual demands. Slowly the urge grows stronger as I am not allowed to handle the scene by my parents who have already set his expectations. My mom has a toy in her hand, dad with another one in his hand ! what else is required for my son ! Then I interfere strongly by objecting the action as I dont want to cultivate a feeling in him that he gets whatever he demands. That's when my son throws his tantrums and starts crying !

As someone mentioned here, parents pamper their grandchildren without any limits ! We cant blame them either..
I feel you are wrong here, Grandparents do it out of love and they know their limits, i've seen my parents pamper my kid to the hilt, but they draw a line and teach her how to behave, Even my kid demands and throws tantrums for toys, but somehow, my parents have taught us the ways of distraction We have learnt few great things from them.
Old 25th June 2010, 00:14   #238
BHPian

Quote:
I rush to see my kid down on floor not moving, presence of mind made me hit her hard several times to re-susciate her and get her breath back.
Hi Pavan, where exactly di you hit here? Right on the chest, below the chest, elsewhere? Also, which part of her body exactly did she hurt herself. I remember as a kid while playing if some one hit you or a ball hit you right below the chest, someone would come from behind and do a Heimlich maneuver kind of stuff while standing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
off topic, imagine my surprise when my son (4) shouted while waiting at a signal "hey, that's a nissan cube". He was right.
OT: My 3 year old son can identify most cars available in India, and some that are not. He once surprised me by identifying an i10 from a top view photo. He can ID cars standing right next to us at traffic stops: just profile view from 2 feet away, whole profile not visible. Here is a short video shot last night.

Quote:
It becomes a bit embarassing when he starts crying in front of everyone when not given to his demand. No amount of cajoling, sweet talking has any effect on him, finally we have to concede and give him whatever he asks to calm him down.
For the most part my son is pretty well behaved. But infront of any toy shops, we have to buy atleast one toy vehicle. For ice cream, trinkets, etc. we just make up some excuse and he accepts it sportingly.
Old 25th June 2010, 00:22   #239
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel you are wrong here, Grandparents do it out of love and they know their limits, i've seen my parents pamper my kid to the hilt, but they draw a line and teach her how to behave, Even my kid demands and throws tantrums for toys, but somehow, my parents have taught us the ways of distraction We have learnt few great things from them.
+1 to what you stated pavan. When my father refused anything to me, I always used to run up to my grandparents! And initially I felt that my parents are pampering my daughter when I try to make her listen to me. It dawned upon me after a couple of times, what my parents would have gone through when I ran to my grandparents!
I'm not spoilt now. I never threw tantrums. So I don't interfere between my daughter and her grandparents now. Because, she can't grow up much different than what I grew up to be!
Old 25th June 2010, 09:51   #240
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, I see most of us are in dilema as to not offend our parents and at at the same time instill some discipline among our children. My Parents too over the period of time have realized that they have over pampered my son and these days they too try to teach him a manner or two. But some times during pamapering they go over board and when interrrupted or questioned they shoot back saying that they had done the same for me too as a kid. I think this also sets a bad example since the kid starts to compare things now initially at home but maybe later at school when he is with his friends. He would no longer believe in sharing things. He keeps his toys to himself when my friends with their kids come visiting.

@guite - Even my son has this habit of identfying the cars. He keep shouting the car names when we go for a drive. Pretty impressed with his memory. I think most kids do have a strong memory at their age.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks