Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 22:32   #301
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
On second thoughts ... didn't Einstein discover a lot about gravity? You can always get away by telling your son that you meant the effect of gravity on light. But children these days are pretty smart. They will catch you sooner.

Sheesh!!! Never be dishonest with kids. You are giving them the license to be dishonest later in their life.

And never miss an expectation from your kids for guidance, help etc.

And how do you guys deal with sibling rivalry? Fighting, insisting on having the same piece / thing the other kid has? Pulling hair and pushing down when parents are looking the other way?
Old 13th July 2010, 10:52   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Sheesh!!! Never be dishonest with kids. You are giving them the license to be dishonest later in their life.
No no, this is not being dishonest. Einstein did discover lot about gravity. I am sure kids will grow up to understand this.

As a teenager it came as a surprise to me to know about relativity. Teenager-me had initially thought great about Newton only to read about Einstein's contribution. I had learned about relativity in my 11th or 12th class. Syllabi these days are more advanced and I think kids learn about all these in 8th class itself.

Everyone told me only about Newton and gravity. If someone had told me about Einstein also, my respect for that person would have multiplied manifold that day.

p.s. I hold Newton to be great for his contribution to mathematics. Anyway this is OT.
Old 13th July 2010, 13:28   #303
Team-BHP Support

Guys, is there a way to get a 15 month old to stop sucking her thumb? When my daughter started this habit at around 6 months, we had read on babycenter.com that this was their self-mechanism to soothing themesleves in case of anxiety, so we didnt stop her.

Now, she still sucks her thumb, but when she starts to sleep, feels hungry, and or when she is scared - the usual symptoms which we had read about. These days, we do tell her not to do it in a playful manner, but she mischievously puts it back in again.

Any pointers as to how others dealt with the same? Her thumb has started swelling now, owing to this.
Old 13th July 2010, 13:50   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
is there a way to get a 15 month old to stop sucking her thumb?
Sanninayakam is a ayurvedic herb traditionally used for this purpose. It has a bitter taste and the kid loses the habit.

Quote:
this was their self-mechanism to soothing themesleves in case of anxiety
Yes, one of the ways of feeling emotionally secure.
Old 13th July 2010, 14:01   #305
Senior - BHPian

Whoa!!! My daughter has developed this attitude, somehow I need to stop this. My cousin is about 6 & she's still not stopped this behaviour. Hope the herbs doesn't help her at tha age of 6 I guess.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:40   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
foood dilema here too my Boy just turned two and does not like to eat much, very very moody. Sometimes Upma, khichdi, sometimes roti dipped in tea, sometimes only and only water, sometimes just no chocolates at all. kinda confusing when he says no to chocolates. he just does'nt take one sip of milk now a days, no fresh milkshakes. I think too much of nooo.

Any advice?
Do let me know if you have a solution to this. My son is 20 months old and he too is showing similar patterns.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:11   #307
BHPian

2 yrs on is the time the lil devils start getting naughty and throw tantrums. No silver bullet, just work around it by distractions and cajoling.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:14   #308
BANNED

My 2 year old is epitome of naughtiness and tantrums.

I play a lot with him - running, throwing the ball, running up and down the stairs, etc.

This makes him have a healthy appetite for food and is asking for food even before we have it ready.

Earlier he used to eat not more then one spoonful.
Old 13th July 2010, 18:17   #309
Senior - BHPian

to stop sucking thumb, give them other things to engage in. I personally would never try any external substances, herbal or otherwise. First, find out why they have anxiety though.

our pediatrician said give him pacifier so he doesn't use his thumb, but we never had to.
Old 13th July 2010, 18:35   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
First, find out why they have anxiety though.
I think most common reason could be separation from mother, even though for short durations.
Old 14th July 2010, 09:45   #311
BHPian

Car Seat

Hello All,

Folks has anybody used a car seat that's available for kids?

My son is 14 months old and sits in my wife's lap, but off-late he has developed this tendency of standing in her lap, I find this very dangerous, so I am planning to buy a car seat for him.

Just wanted to take some feedback from you all, before I buy it for him. Is it of any use, do kids actually sit on them?

What say?
Old 14th July 2010, 12:00   #312
BANNED

Quote:
As a teenager it came as a surprise to me to know about relativity. Teenager-me had initially thought great about Newton only to read about Einstein's contribution. I had learned about relativity in my 11th or 12th class. Syllabi these days are more advanced and I think kids learn about all these in 8th class itself.

Everyone told me only about Newton and gravity. If someone had told me about Einstein also, my respect for that person would have multiplied manifold that day.
Ditto here.But overcame the surprise later on. It took a bit to digest the fact that Newton could be wrong.

It was worse in chemistry. In highschool, atoms were plain neutrons, protons and electrons, in a two dimensional plane.

In Pre-degree, the electron started to revolve in three dimensions; and there was this Hiesenberg's uncertainity principle. It took me all of one year to voercome this shock.

Quote:
we had read on babycenter.com that this was their self-mechanism to soothing themesleves in case of anxiety, so we didnt stop her.
Oho, did you?

Quote:
Now, she still sucks her thumb, but when she starts to sleep, feels hungry, and or when she is scared - the usual symptoms which we had read about. These days, we do tell her not to do it in a playful manner, but she mischievously puts it back in again.
Obviously, that site is right. Right?

Since we had no access to that sanni.... herb mentioned here, we used karela jiice. (Bitter gourd).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Hello All,

There is a thread on this. I guess it is in the accessories section. Not sure. Just search for "baby seat" in advanced search > title only.
Old 14th July 2010, 13:52   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think most common reason could be separation from mother, even though for short durations.
Possible, but why does she do this, even when the mother is beside her? So, cant narrow it down to just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
to stop sucking thumb, give them other things to engage in. I personally would never try any external substances, herbal or otherwise. First, find out why they have anxiety though.

our pediatrician said give him pacifier so he doesn't use his thumb, but we never had to.
She's the age where she removes the pacifier from her mouth and then plays with it. So, that isnt a solution.

We try to engage her in other activities, but the more we try to stop her, the more she engages in it, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Whoa!!! My daughter has developed this attitude, somehow I need to stop this. My cousin is about 6 & she's still not stopped this behaviour.
Thats something i definitely want to avoid.

Quote:
Sanninayakam is a ayurvedic herb traditionally used for this purpose. It has a bitter taste and the kid loses the habit.
These would be the last resort.

Quote:
Oho, did you?

Obviously, that site is right. Right?
Well, that site used to be the homepage for my wife, and we followed it quite religiously during the early days, or rather till my wife started going for work. Even now, she checks it on a weekly basis, if not daily.

Quote:
Since we had no access to that sanni.... herb mentioned here, we used karela jiice. (Bitter gourd).
Hmm.. will have to try out this, if nothing else works.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:04   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Yes, I do, for my son. Child seats are available at Shopper's Stop, Lifestyle, etc.

Quote:
Is it of any use, do kids actually sit on them?
Sure they do sit in it. My son is so comfortable in it that he usually sleeps during long drives.

The thread referred to by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...seat-kids.html
Old 14th July 2010, 14:53   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this herb is available is traditional medicine shops ('angaadi marunnu'). This was a grandma's wisdom passed on to us.

Neem leaves are also bitter, this juice will also work I think.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks