Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:53   #16
Team-BHP Support

My eyes are very good.
Heck I suprise my team mates during lunch by reading the scrolling lines from the new channel running on the 32" LCD screen in the cafeteria about 20 feet away.
Read e-books on my Kyocera 7135 PDA Phone on an almost daily basis.

But I find girls wearing glasses very nice to look at.
PS1: dont tell my wife.
PS2: She is the only non spec lady I like to see all the time.

Why am I commenting in this thread?
A good frame that suits your face actually makes the wearer look quite good.
Dont think of this as a handicap or something
Please dont think glasses make you look less cool or hip.

This post is not intended to offend anyone.

I just wanted to say this, please ignore the nonsense that passes for cheap comments from idiots who like to make fun of people as they have nothing better to do.
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

My LASIK Operation - Part 2

This time I took an appointment with the doctor and went with my father.
He came for moral support, most of the questions and doubts were mine. I had already done my bit of research and i knew what to expect.

Before we met Dr. Dedhia (who was obviously a very busy and popular man) we met 2 or 3 of his (very pretty) assistants who patiently tried to answer every question we had.
We then met another senior lady doctor at the clinic which was pretty big and ran across 3 floors and very busy too.

They explained the working of the operation in minute detail, honestly and clearly. First with a power point presentation, photos and testimonials.
Then with a plastercast model of an eye.

And finally with pictures of the procedure and the actual instruments involved.
Soon it was time to meet the good Doctor.

Even though it was all-in-a-day's-work for him, he too was patient and strikingly clear and honest about everything. At no point did we ever feel pressured or felt like we were being sold an operation with fantasy solutions.

He was honest enough to tell us what could go wrong. He also said that there was a series of tests that would actually let us know if my eyes were eligible for the operation or not (obviously corneal thickness etc.)

He let us know about an operation that left the patient with a number of -1 from -7. While this was a huge improvement for the patient, he was still wearing glasses.
He made us understand one thing

NO operative procedure on your body is fool proof. NONE!
The LASIK was a low-risk procedure and that's what made it inviting.

What was strange is that post-op there was no stitching involved on the cut cornea. It was simple: A flap would be cut open, the laser would opeate on my eyes, changing the basic curvature by sculpting using the laser and then the flap would simply be dropped back.

It would stick on using cohesion that we had learnt in Physics class. In a few hours the healing process would begin and in a few days it would have healed completely.
Sounded risky but I was better armed with the complete knowledge of what exactly was going to happen, rather than a bunch of speculations.

I needed to think about it.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:02   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Think of the times when glasses were not hip. Today's kids walk around in Rs. 10,000 spectacle frames made by Armani and Byblos.

The last time clear glasses were cool was in the sixties!!

We neither had the money, nor the choice of imported designer frames. Nor these super expensive Carl Zeiss super-thin weightless lens options. Ask an old-school prescription glasses wearer if it is/was cool.

To make matters worse, even if you bought an expensive imported frame, if your number was more than -3 you could not fit those thick lenses inside. The same frame that looked so nice with the clear glass inside, looked like crap once the soda bottle glass was fit in the frame. When you looked at yourself, the optical property of the glass made your eyes and face (as seen through the glasses in reverse,) much much SMALLER than actual life.
What most people dont realise is that PHYSICALLY - the eyes of a myopic person are actually larger in size than you as an observer perceive them to be. This changes their facial appearance too.

I look at people with perfect vision buying clear glasses for style and often shake my head in disbelief. The grass is truly greener on the other side.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd August 2008 at 15:08.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Why am I commenting in this thread?
Dont think of this as a handicap or something

This post is not intended to offend anyone.

I just wanted to say this, please ignore the nonsense that passes for cheap comments from idiots who like to make fun of people as they have nothing better to do.
I could not agree more. I have been wearing specs for the last 3 years now, and have never faced any teasing or any stigma while in college, which is the period of your life most people would consider not wearing glasses. I am completely comfortable in my glasses and see no reason to switch to contacts.
Very honestly, even my luck with the opposite sex has been as it was before I got the specs! Lol. Maybe they like the mature intelligent look. Haha
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I am wearing prescription glasses since I was in 1st standard. A teacher in school noticed that it was too much of an effort for me to make out what was written on the board if I sat on the back benches, and informed my mom of the same
I wish my issue was recognized that early !! But unfortunately mine was spotted by my professor in the same situation but at the age of 19. By birth my right eye is above -10 as I assume. So left eye struggled alone for 19 years and got weak by itself, bringing the real issue into notice. If the left eye continued healthy and clear, my eye issue would not have been noticed even later.
Quote:
Heck, if I remove my glasses, I cannot even see this post I am typing, if I maintain my normal distance. I have to lean and sit very close to the screen, if at all I have to make out something without my glasses.
Same here bro. I cant read nor write at a normal distance without glasses. I have seen lot of people wearing very thick glasses (I assume the power to be above -7), but I really feel sad for the inconvenience one can feel with a thick and heavy glass.

My glasses are both made in the -3 configuration, because right eye is above -13 and glasses cant correct it. One thing I noticed when I recently changed to new frame and day & night glasses, my eyes cant take left with -3 and right with 0, it feels very disturbing and I cant even walk with that difference. Means although both eyes are different powers, it has some syncronisation taking place with glasses ON.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

My LASIK Operation - Part 3

Some day in May 2005

I did not take long to think about it. This is what I wanted to do.

I called them. My other problem was absence from work. I could not disappear for 5 days.
They recommended I arrive for my complete eye check up on thursday.
This was I could complete my procedure on Friday morning, rest on Saturday and Sunday and depending on my healing progress, I could resume work on Monday or latest Tuesday.

On thursday i spent 3 hours in the clinic. If I remember correctly - I placed my head on at least 8 different machines before the senior lady doctor examined my eyes in detail.

Each machine gave out a little slip like an STD phone machine with a bunch of numbers on it and the doctor would look at them and write something down, collecting all the data on my eyes in minute detail.
Some tests were run more than thrice for accuracy.

To tell you the truth I was very impressed. More so because it was not done to impress me. Each test made a lot of sense when explained. They were measuring every possible aspect of my eye.

Then some drops were put in my eye and I was asked to wait for 30 minutes. I was warned that my vision would get hazy and blurry.
The drops made my pupils dilate completely.

They then ran many tests on my eyes with dilated pupils. Once again every one of my questions was answered patiently by the (very pretty) techs that were operating each machine.
Some of the machines were massive, with their own monitors and they were all running Windows.

I was handed over some eyedrops to use every hour while awake and asked to sleep well that night.

Tomorrow was my big day.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd August 2008 at 15:23.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:20   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

A Disclaimer

I have just been reading some posts and would like to make some things clear before i go on with my experience.
  • I am not advocating any operative procedure on anyone's eyes. - I am nobody to do that, I have no medical background or education.
  • I am not saying that wearing prescription glasses or contact lenses is a problem, both in convenience of use or aesthetically. Glasses actually can look very cool on some people.
  • To each his own, I am merely stating from my personal experience.

• I recommend you use your own judgement, do your own research and follow a qualified Doctor's advice before coming to any conclusion.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd August 2008 at 15:22.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Some of the machines were massive, with their own monitors and they were all running Windows.
Very reassuring.. that !! But please go on. We are all waiting for the D-Day story.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:39   #24
BHPian

Hey Sam,

Allow me to appreciate your thoughts on your LASIK eye-correction.

Having considered it for over 8 months now, am keen to enter the new year with clear vision. If I dont chicken out at the 11th hour, am in it as well.

Despite all the research done through various inputs & doctors opinions - it is indeed heartening to hear a personal opinion such as yours.

Thank you and please continue.

Am keen to hear your post-operative cure and any specific DO's & DON'Ts through personal experience.
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Friday, May2005

I woke up with a healthy mixture of apprehension, excitement and fear.
I showered and washed my hair, being extra careful not get any water or soap into my eyes, I just kept them clenched shut throughout.

I dressed comfortably and carried a pair of sunglasses as I was asked to.
On my very first visit I was told not to wear my lenses for a few days before the tests were done. I had stopped wearing my lenses from that day, sticking only to glasses.

On the ground floor, the lady doctor checked my eyes one last time before asking me to take my shoes off and go to the first floor. She was comforting and assured me that Dr. Dedhia would perform the operation himself and it would be over in 15 minutes. (!!)

To my shock, there were 5 people there already, all waiting for their operations!
I spoke to some of them, cases were all quite similar to mine. In the waiting room was a 14" colour television. To my surprise I realised that there was a camera focussed entirely on a human eye.
When the operation began I was even more surprise to realise it was LIVE! We (including friends and family) were free to observe each step of the operation in astonishing clarity, obstructed only occasionally by the doctors hand or something which we couldn't make out.

True enough, this was over in 10 minutes, only to find another eye there (obviously the other eye).
10 minutes later a girl stepped out from inside, wearing dark glasses and her face was full of streaming tears.
A nurse was talking to her, giving her instructions and stuff.

Later I asked her how she was feeling. She said it was burning and hurting like crazy.

Then while I was watching another operation, they called me in. Asked me my name and stuck it on a gown and made me wear this surgical gown. I had clean myself and they made me wear a cap to cover all my hair.
I was prepped and waiting for about 20 minutes in the ante room.

Then they told me it was my turn.

I stepped into the operation room with the help of a male nurse/assistant. I needed some help as I could not see clearly, having left my glasses outside.

I was aware that the room was very cold and that there was a HUGE machine inside with 2 people sitting to the far left of the room, looking like they were supervising the computer that was running it.

Dr. Dedhia was sitting on a small stool in a green surgical gown, hair and face covered with a mask. I was made to lie down on a bed that appeared to be in the centre of the room. The doctor sat on a stool to my right, slightly behind my head.
It was quiet, except for some whirring sounds of the machine and some whispers that the assistant were making. I was bothered by those whispers honestly as I was straining to catch every word.
My heart was beating really fast and I could hear it banging against my chest really quick.

Soon some kind of a mask was fit tightly over my entire face, leaving just my right eye exposed. Then some kind of clamp was fit on my eye making it impossible to blink.
I suppose it was a natural reaction to panic as my breath quickened and i tried to look at the doctor.
he spoke to me in a soothing voice, telling me not to worry and that everything would be OK.

Soon i felt some liquid in my eye. I do not know if it was dropped in by a machine or a man. I was getting disoriented with having only one eye open and that too clamped wide open.

The doctor spoke to me softly and in a soothing voice. What I like best was that he was explaining every step. he went on to explain that he was wetting my eye to keep me comfortable.
He then raised a little device in front of my open eye and said this was the Kerato-something - a machine was was going to cut my corneal flap open.
He aked me to calm down, making sure I had a good eyeful of the machine so my eyes would stop moving around and waited for a few minutes till my breath was normal again.

He then placed it on my open eye and did something. I knew what was going to happen as I had been informed.

But to see THROUGH the eye that was being operated was a completely different thing!

To my horror after the machine had cut through my cornea I saw the doctors gloved hand lift up the flap delicately with some instrument and turn it over to the side.
I immediately realised that my vision had become far more blurry than without my glasses.

Next - The Laser.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 22nd August 2008 at 16:37. Reason: Back to back posts within 15 minutes
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The operation continues

Soon the Doctor brought in the large head of the laser machine that had been whirring next to me.
He went on to explain that all the data that had been collected on my eyes yesterday had been fed into the computer that controlled the laser machine.

That he was right here, by my side, but the operation would be completed without his intervention, that the laser would robotically sculpt and shave what was necessary from my eye, using my measurements from yesterday.
This was a bit unnerving. Those who know me well (and those who have read my earlier blogs) know that I have a deep distrust of robotic machines.
But this was also no surprise to me, as I was mentally fully prepared. The last thing one ever wants, is to be surprised on the operating table.

Before we began, the good doctor asked me to breathe slow and deep and not to try to move. He said that initially there would be a red light on my eye and later there would be a green light. Both of these would be lasers that would be working on my eye. I should not worry and that he would be sitting next to me and I should relax and that it would take a couple of minutes.

It was exactly as he said. Unfortunately I could smell burning flesh.

I knew that smell from childhood.

As a child I used to take a magnifying glass and focus the sun's rays onto unsuspecting little ants and watch them BURN BURN BURN!
The smell of the laser operating on my eye was very similar.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a good Sunday I would burn ants by the hundreds. Often I would save a piece of food from Sunday's lunch and place it near the window sill, waiting for the word to spread in the ant community.
Sometimes while trying to take home little pieces of food, on my attack they would send messengers quickly back home, informing the base station that a giant human child was burning their soldiers with a large magnifying glass. I would take special pains to make sure that every messenger was destroyed before word got back to their base that I was burning them. BURN BURN BURN!!

I was a lonely child, I had no siblings, an uncontrollable imagination and I was not very good with other kids of my age. Every Sunday afternoon, after their siesta, my Mother would clean up the mess shouting and shaking her head and telling my father that this was not normal behaviour for a child at ANY age.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thankful for that small reverie, because if my mind had not switched off, I would have realised that a robot was in effect, burning little bits of my eye and I was wanting that to happen.
I knew it was just a few minutes like he said, but it seemed very long.

Soon the laser-head was put away and the Doctor's gloved hand and the instrument put a few drops of liquid on my eye and then closed the flap shut. Just like that.
He then asked me to close my eyelid slowly and deliberately and keep it shut.

It felt like someone had squeezed an orange skin into my eye. Identical feeling.

Soon the same exact procedure was repeated for the other eye.

After this was over, I was helped to my feet with both my eyes tightly shut. My sunglasses were placed on top of my nose. One arm of the glasses was not on my ear properly. I hate it when that happens.

Someone took me outside and made me sit down somewhere.

It was over.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd August 2008 at 16:46.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:54   #27
Team-BHP Support

I got glasses a few months back. I need glasses to read but can watch TV and drive safely without them. Since I am senile and glasses are relatively cheap (Rs. 1K gets me a frame and a pair of lenses) I asked my optician to make 5 pairs. I leave one at work, one in my primary car, one at home, one in my laptop bag and one near the TV in case I get a SMS. When I travel I stuff one pair in each bag I carry.

I did consider Lasik just to rid myself of this headache. My doc (opthal) told me that since my number has not settled I have to wait. I might have to wait 10 years (by which time my eyes better be Lasik-compatible because at the rate my mind is going I wont be able to remember much) before I can do Lasik. :-(
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
But to see THROUGH the eye that was being operated was a completely different thing!

To my horror after the machine had cut through my cornea I saw the doctors gloved hand lift up the flap delicately with some instrument and turn it over to the side.
Thats it.... I have now positively chickened out! Scary stuff that, Sam.
You didnt say anything about the pain yet...
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:08   #29
BHPian

Sam has gone into Stephen King mode.. I think this narration sort of eliminates all potential LASIK interested folks in this forum from the queue

Just kidding...
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Keep 'em comin' Sam. We are eagerly waiting for your next post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks