Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 21:00   #151
Team-BHP Support

Well CliffHanger, your story almost read like a cliffhanger. I have been wearing glasses since 23 years, with powers -5 and -2 in left and right eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
As I started to grow, wearing glasses started becoming a hindrance on various activities that I was doing, I became restricted as years passed by. I couldn't become very active in many sports such as Basket ball, Volley, etc, this started giving a kind of stand-odd feeling and made me believe that I'm not one of those lucky guys that can take up these games, even now I feel for that. So as I progressed I became more inclined to books than to sports, however I continued watching them on television.
I am surprised about this part though. I never held myself back from any sport on account of my glasses, I actually got into contact sports like Karate, Aikido, sword fighting, etc. I once sent my glass flying in the air after a roundhouse kick, broke it badly. Later I switched to plastic lenses and never worried about breaking it. I still do weapons practice wearing my glasses. I have never tried contact lenses.

I have many times considered Lasik, but I am scared of side-effects.
Old 24th July 2009, 21:20   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well CliffHanger, your story almost read like a cliffhanger. I have been wearing glasses since 23 years, with powers -5 and -2 in left and right eyes.

I am surprised about this part though. I never held myself back from any sport on account of my glasses, I actually got into contact sports like Karate, Aikido, sword fighting, etc. I once sent my glass flying in the air after a roundhouse kick, broke it badly. Later I switched to plastic lenses and never worried about breaking it. I still do weapons practice wearing my glasses. I have never tried contact lenses.

I have many times considered Lasik, but I am scared of side-effects.

Dont know about Karate, Aikido etc but I found it difficult to play sports like Footy, Tennis etc. I sweat a lot and often there would be drops/streams of sweat all over the glasses! And sometimes it would start slipping over the nose etc. Same problem while running (i used to jog/slow run a lot). It was mighty irritating really. Thats why I went for it. Dont regret it now!
Old 24th July 2009, 23:55   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am firmly against elective eye surgery at any age, but even people
who recommend it, don't recommend it before 18 years of age. The
general rule is that your eyesight should be stable for 2 years before
the surgery.

Another thing is that usually power upto -2.5 is OK for the Merchant
Navy - beyond that is a problem.
Thanks carboy. Thats what we also thought but he's been told that his eyes should be 100% correct.

Now how do we get around that? Any suggestions?
Old 25th July 2009, 00:20   #154
Senior - BHPian

Im considering it guys, contacts are becoming a pain and iv discovered the world of Scuba which has me addicted.
Old 25th July 2009, 00:41   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Dont know about Karate, Aikido etc but I found it difficult to play sports like Footy, Tennis etc. I sweat a lot and often there would be drops/streams of sweat all over the glasses!
I used to remove it the dojo though, can't do full contact sports while wearing glasses.
Old 25th July 2009, 00:44   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Im considering it guys, contacts are becoming a pain and iv discovered the world of Scuba which has me addicted.
Scuba is done with mask. there are prescription lense attachments which you can fit inside the mask.

Contacts are a pain that's why I threw away some pairs after trying first.
Old 25th July 2009, 00:45   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Scuba is done with mask. there are prescription lense attachments which you can fit inside the mask.

Contacts are a pain that's why I threw away some pairs after trying first.
Iv tried, additional headache....
Old 25th July 2009, 14:24   #158
BHPian

Thanks guys for your wishes!!

@milindbajekal
Sir,I can understand how you would have felt with such high powers, I'm happy that you are able to lead a normal life now..Have a Great Life!!

@ashthedivx
Mate, I don't know whether you have done Lasik or still with glasses, whatever it is,I do wish things go on fine for you..

@joslicx
Good to hear from a fellow bhpian who leads a normal life after Lasik.. Mate, actually my experience with the lasik wasn't horrid, it's the barrage laser which caused all the problems...Now though, life has moved on and I'm happy.

@Samurai
Brother,you seem to have high tolerance level,basically I just give up whenever my glasses fall of or whenever it gets soaked with sweat.Blurred vision generally haunts me much.As far as your fear of side effects is concerned,I have nothing to suggest or comment,but from whatever I experienced I can tell you it's not as scary as you imagine..Just go and give it a shot,sometimes there are cetain things that are worth the risk..

Update-

I met the doctor today for post consultation, the doctor said my eyes are healthy and are progessing well.He prescribed a tablet 'Fit Eye' for the next 30days and adviced me not to carry out heavy workouts at gym..
Old 25th July 2009, 18:24   #159
Senior - BHPian

Me and a friend are considering getting Lasik done at Shroff Hospital in Mumbai any testimonials from you guys? They are pretty expensive and are saying its because of the Wavefront Laser that is much more advanced then others and can track the eye much faster then others.
Old 25th July 2009, 18:32   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Me and a friend are considering getting Lasik done at Shroff Hospital in Mumbai any testimonials from you guys? They are pretty expensive and are saying its because of the Wavefront Laser that is much more advanced then others and can track the eye much faster then others.
Wave front guides a laser surgery. Every eye is unique just like our fingerprints, the wavefront technology measures the exact distortion of light for each eye.

If you don't mind me asking, how much are they charging?
Old 25th July 2009, 18:50   #161
Senior - BHPian

Its been 20+ years i started to wear glasses, (-2 & -3) idea if being free without glasses gives a great feeling but am __ scared of going for "Lasik"

The fear was justified when i learnt about my colleague facing problems with it, his story goes like this about 5+ years back he got the surgery done by a well known doc in Bangalore, things where normal till last year but this year onwards he started to face issues like blurry/glary vision especially at night. unluckily for him he is one among the people with whom this surgery does not go well...

Though many claim that its very safe but there is certain percentage of risk involved and it can be dangerous!

With my colleague there is actually no fix! doctor has told that last resort is an operation but there is a chance where he can loose his eye!

On top of it he has met with many accidents at night( i know have advised him not to ride) and most importantly he gets bad eye pain which is very regular, this is badly hampering his work!

Seeing all this i never want to go for Lasik!
Old 25th July 2009, 18:56   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Its been 20+ years i started to wear glasses, (-2 & -3) idea if being free without glasses gives a great feeling but am __ scared of going for "Lasik"

The fear was justified when i learnt about my colleague facing problems with it, his story goes like this about 5+ years back he got the surgery done by a well known doc in Bangalore, things where normal till last year but this year onwards he started to face issues like blurry/glary vision especially at night. unluckily for him he is one among the people with whom this surgery does not go well...

Though many claim that its very safe but there is certain percentage of risk involved and it can be dangerous!

With my colleague there is actually no fix! doctor has told that last resort is an operation but there is a chance where he can loose his eye!

On top of it he has met with many accidents at night( i know have advised him not to ride) and most importantly he gets bad eye pain which is very regular, this is badly hampering his work!

Seeing all this i never want to go for Lasik!
There has been a lot of advancement in the laser technique. I think it is pretty reliable these days. However at least some of you guys should stick to glasses. Even the optician needs to live.
Old 26th July 2009, 10:47   #163
BHPian

@lohithrao

This is definitely scary, but are you sure the side effect was only because of lasik?
I feel even other illness could have caused an impact on his eyes.
Old 26th July 2009, 10:54   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
@lohithrao

This is definitely scary, but are you sure the side effect was only because of lasik?
I feel even other illness could have caused an impact on his eyes.

Nope, it was due to Lasik...

actually i was making up my mind for Lasik but the moment i heard about this i just gave up
Old 26th July 2009, 12:06   #165
BHPian

@lohithrao

Dude,I'm happy that I did not read your post before taking up lasik,If I had,even I would not have taken it.But now everything is over,I'm done and at ease now.
Hope this is not in offer en route destiny..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks