Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2009, 16:46   #106
Senior - BHPian

I am preparing myself for Lasik, to be done on 23 Jan, in either Pune or THane. But the posts on this topic lately have been pretty disarming :(
Old 1st January 2009, 18:41   #107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am preparing myself for Lasik, to be done on 23 Jan, in either Pune or THane. But the posts on this topic lately have been pretty disarming :(
Think 100 times before risking something as critical as your eye for elective surgery - it's a different matter if the surgery was required & you had no choice. Finally, it's your decision, no one can force you to have or not have it.

The eye is a very sensitive part of our body.
Consider something as trivial as a spec of dirt in your eyes - can you
function properly with this in your eye - you starts watering, you get irritated, you cannot concentrate on anything else, but put all your effort towards towards getting it out of your eye.
So think of a very minor problem happening because of the surgery - something like "Dry Eyes" - as per the FDA, 20% of LASIK patients have this as a side-effect of LASIK. I bet dry eyes are far more irritating than a spec of dirt.

Dry eye syndrome

For some people with this sideeffect, the dry eyes subsides few months after surgery. For some others, it is permanent. For some, it starts only a few years after LASIK - i.e. they feel perfect in the beginning, but after a few years, they get dry eyes.

Another thing even for people with no side effects, people who have had LASIK get reading glasses (normally caused with age) earlier than those who haven't had surgery - i.e. you will end up again with glasses some day.

Another news I have read is that the US FDA held a hearing in April 2008 about LASIK because lots of patients with complications petioned the FDA to ban LASIK. As a result of this FDA is now holding a study on post-LASIK quality of life & reports are being filed in the MAUDE Database. FDA is collecting reports & is going to have another hearing in 2009 based on the data collected.

Some of the LASIK machine manufactures have listed this as a concern for stockholders in their SEC filings.

For eg. LCA-Vision has the following line in their shareholder letter.

"In addition, an ongoing FDA study about post-Lasik quality of life matters could potentially impact negatively the acceptance of Lasik"

One more thing - if we live long enough, most people get cataract at some point in their life & have to get it operated. For people who have had LASIK done, cataract surgery which is normally very routine becomes a little problematic because some measurements which are used to guide cataract surgery aren't accurate for people who have had LASIK. Similiar issues for glaucoma screening also. So apparently you have get some measurements done before you have LASIK & keep a record of it so that it may be useful after 20-30 years if you require cataract surgery.

Last edited by carboy : 1st January 2009 at 18:43.
Old 8th January 2009, 10:48   #108
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Carboy for the inputs. I went to NIO, pune for further information. They insist on PRK instead of Lasik, because even if the healing period is bit more and bit painful, there is no cutting of flap involved. So long term benefit is there. Also, they say that even though the healing time depends on patient, the results are same as lasik, and they haven't yet come across even one patient, who had problems afterwards for any eye surgery (including cataract).

They have this wavefront Allegretto 400hz machine, but i am not sure whether they use it only for lasik or for PRK as well.

The cost quoted is 34000 for Lasik, and 25000 for PRK, inclusive of pre-test.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:08   #109
BHPian

no worries

Quote:

Don't worry - everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If LASIK was as dangerous as facing a gun - I wouldn't have undergone it, and to tell you the truth, It's a whale of a change -having freedom from glasses. Just chill. I'll PM you the finer points if you want.
Old 8th January 2009, 15:08   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Carboy for the inputs. I went to NIO, pune for further information. They insist on PRK instead of Lasik, because even if the healing period is bit more and bit painful, there is no cutting of flap involved. So long term benefit is there. Also, they say that even though the healing time depends on patient, the results are same as lasik, and they haven't yet come across even one patient, who had problems afterwards for any eye surgery (including cataract).

They have this wavefront Allegretto 400hz machine, but i am not sure whether they use it only for lasik or for PRK as well.

Between LASIK and PRK, I think the former is safer. My colleague underwent PRK on both eyes way back in 2000, but he still cannot see clearly with his left eye. Repeated visits to the Chennai hospital have not borne fruit.
I've avoided both as I'm middle-aged, and have reconciled to wearing glasses for the rest of my life, though I do feel tempted at times to go in for LASIK.
Old 8th January 2009, 15:10   #111
BHPian

Guys,

Can some one please explain what is PRK?
Is PRK, same as EpiLasik?

Regards!
Old 9th January 2009, 19:44   #112
BANNED

Quote:

Both LASIK & PRK carry risks.
About the cataract thing, here is a partial article
Cataracts after refractive surgery: a new set of complications present as baby boomers near the age of cataracts. (15-APR-04) Review of Optometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
Don't worry - everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If LASIK was as dangerous as facing a gun - I wouldn't have undergone it, and to tell you the truth, It's a whale of a change -having freedom from glasses. Just chill. I'll PM you the finer points if you want.
Quite obviously, it's not like facing a gun.
However, here is why I wouldn't do it
1) For any refractive surgery, there are risks. Risks may be side effects like halos, starburst, bad night vision, ghosting, dry eyes etc.
These side effects are possible even with a very experienced doctor
& a successful surgery. Everyone is not going to have these
side effects, but some people will have it. For some it will be temporary,
for others it will be long term. Some people may have the side effects
soon after the surgery. Some people may have it 4-5 years are surgery
or even later.
Now even if the risks are small, I wouldn't take it for an elective procedure. I may be willing to take that risk for a life saving procedure
Eyes are how we experience everything - I won't take a risk on my
eye, except if it's done for saving my eyes

2) All these procedures are 10 odd years old - hence you really don't
know long term effects. In one of my earlier posts, I have given links about
couple of people having no problems for 8-9 years & then having serious
problems.

3) FDA had complaints last year & because of that they are collecting
info in the MAUDE database. They will publish a report once their
study is done. At the minimum, I would wait for this.

4) It's pretty well known that people having refractive surgery require
reading glasses earlier than people havent had refractive surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithi View Post
Guys,

Can some one please explain what is PRK?
Is PRK, same as EpiLasik?

Regards!
LASIK, LASEK, PRK, EpiLASIK all are different kinds of Refractive surgery

Refractive surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by carboy : 9th January 2009 at 19:52.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:25   #113
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone faced any problems after getting Lasik done.
Problems with night driving , with smoke fumes. etc?
Old 12th February 2009, 11:31   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Has anyone faced any problems after getting Lasik done.
Problems with night driving , with smoke fumes. etc?
Night driving makes me sleepy and smoke fumes make me cough. I don't know if it's because of the operation though...
Old 12th February 2009, 15:42   #115
Senior - BHPian

Lol. Thats normal. I meant any effect on the eyes?
Old 12th February 2009, 15:51   #116
Senior - BHPian

My Wife had LASIK more than 10 years back and till today she has not faced any side effects or issues with her eyes. She had myopic power of more than 6 in both eyes which has completely cured now and she has 20-20 vision without any glasses. If 10 years back this surgery was good now it would be great. So I would always suggest if you have high power than LASIK is a good option.
Old 12th February 2009, 17:29   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

An ex-colleague of mine had -9 in both eyes went through a Lasik in March'08 and till date he has no complains.

Seems like it's indeed a wonder cure. Just ensure that pre-op process is thorough and i think your good to go.
Old 8th March 2009, 20:54   #118
BHPian

Hey Diesel Fan where did your wife got operated ?
Old 10th March 2009, 22:27   #119
Senior - BHPian

hey friends. why is this thread not progressing ???? sam kapasi, please feed this thread or it will die of hunger
Old 11th March 2009, 00:39   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

What sort of progress would you like?

There are over a hundred posts, explaining different points and putting different views. Unless there is some new discovery, or someone has cause to change the report of their experience, what can we say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks