here you are - ооооо hahaha

Use (Alt+R) on a Mac. Simple.

Ooh, you mean the Option key.

оооо Woot! But can you do this 
Old 1st April 2009, 22:24   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post

@DocG, care to elaborate on that? For most of the Indians (including me) , [paracetamol] is the first tablet that they reach out for when they are feeling down with fever/cold/headache/anything at all !! In fact i've experienced gynacs advicing pregnant ladies to have that as its the mildest antibiotic around with absolutely no side effects - or so they claim. What are the alternatives for a mild dose of antobiotics when you want to give your WBC something to help them fight the bad boys.
Crocin... Paracetamol... Antibiotic?

It is pain killer and reduces fever.

Too much of it destroys the liver. There is actually a limit on the number of tablets that can be sold in one transaction in UK, to cut down on those selecting it as a suicide drug.

Of course, one can just go to several shops...

Better to be very sure too, as, if you have taken enough of it, all they can do is make you die more slowly --- or that's what I heard a few years ago.

It is one drug that I am very, very careful to take only the stated dose.

It is also a component of some cough syrups, etc, and it is all too easy to exceed the stated dose
Old 1st April 2009, 22:47   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
@DocG, care to elaborate on that? For most of the Indians (including me) , that is the first tablet that they reach out for when they are feeling down with fever/cold/headache/anything at all !! In fact i've experienced gynacs advicing pregnant ladies to have that as its the mildest antibiotic around with absolutely no side effects - or so they claim. What are the alternatives for a mild dose of antobiotics when you want to give your WBC something to help them fight the bad boys.

huh!!!

Crocin/Tylenol (Paracetamol) isn't an antibiotic - it's a fever reducer &
pain reliever.

And it's side effect long term is liver & kidney damage - very slowly, though.

Most pain killers & NSAIDs have this side effect, except the opiates.
Sadly, most of the effective opiates aren't legal in India - you
can get a license if you cancer or something like that.

Recent studies have shown that aspirin may better in terms of liver
damage but aspirin causes stomach for some people. And more bleeding
since it's a blood thinner.
Old 4th April 2009, 22:46   #139
Senior - BHPian

This is getting really OT here.

Anybody mind answering what I asked earlier? I am really looking forward to lasik in the next couple of weeks.
Old 5th April 2009, 04:22   #140
BHPian

Paracetamol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Crocin... Paracetamol... Antibiotic? It is pain killer and reduces fever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
huh!!! Crocin/Tylenol (Paracetamol) isn't an antibiotic - it's a fever reducer & pain reliever.
Again, slightly OT, but you might find this interesting. Please go through posts #66 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1194542 through #68.
Old 5th April 2009, 15:56   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Goodness. I'm glad I didn't have to read #69 as well!

I glanced at it and ran away, singing dRON RON RON RON, dRON RON RON!

Astonishing stuff, Dr, and I am amazed at your grasp of science and history.

Thank you!
Old 7th April 2009, 02:46   #142
BHPian

Click here to read some un-biased information about Lasik and to see videos of the procedure.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:19   #143
BHPian

Glasses,Nightmare to Normal Vision!!My encounter with the LASIK!!!

I believe many fellow t-bhpians wear glasses and would want to know the alternatives to glasses; I would like to post my experience in taking up LASIK as I was once one among you.

I took the Lasik procedure a week back and let me tell you why I went for Lasik and how I feel now

I was one of those kids who had to wear glasses at a very young age. I used to be one of the very notorious guys during my childhood days, most of the time I fly kites, play marbles, 7stones, trump cards, spinning tops, cricket, etc. To make it short, I spent most of my time on streets, my mom still says that only because of my hyper-activities my eyes became defective. As I started to grow, wearing glasses started becoming a hindrance on various activities that I was doing, I became restricted as years passed by. I couldn't become very active in many sports such as Basket ball, Volley, etc, this started giving a kind of stand-odd feeling and made me believe that I'm not one of those lucky guys that can take up these games, even now I feel for that. So as I progressed I became more inclined to books than to sports, however I continued watching them on television. After completing school, I was looking for things that can give an alternative to glasses; thankfully, I got to know about contact lenses and without much of a thought I got myself a pair of contact lenses. Things started to change, I felt more confident and I was more positive, I took up cricket, I became the lead bowler for my college team, thanks to my height as well, things went fine. Though contact lenses solved most of my problems, nothing can beat a normal vision. Since I used to be in my contact lenses most of the time, I felt uncomfortable on situations where I had to be with glasses, whenever I was in a trip or on my friend’s home for a get-together. I tried to avoid wearing glasses as much as I can and many times I even slept with my lenses on.

For the past year or two, my eyes started giving irritations, thanks to the ever increasing pollution, whenever I get on to the road, I end up hurting my eye, also since I became more active in adventure sports, lenses weren’t helpful at occasions where I was in waters. Again I started to look for alternative since I felt that my eyes can’t take the irritations anymore. I felt that LASIK would be it and also I wasn’t really apprehensive about Lasik; personally I have seen people being normal after Lasik. I started planning to take up Lasik, did a lot of inquiries and finally decided the month to be July and also decided to leave the date to the doctor. I chose the doctor that was very famous in my region, went for the checkups and found out that I have a retinal thinning on my eyes, thanks to the high power of 4.5. The doctor said it is nothing to worry about and taking up Barrage (I don’t know the exact spelling) laser would solve this problem; also she said taking up this is essential before taking the Lasik procedure. I wasn’t worried about the fact that I have to take up two surgeries since I know I would get my normal vision back. So I got myself an appointment for taking up Barrage Laser. Since I had read that Laser treatments are usually painless, I wasn’t expecting anything dramatic, but, something dramatic occurred, during the surgery I was asked to glue on to a device which penetrates laser into the eye. The doctor kept a kind of magnifying glass on my eyes and started flashing a powerful torch on it, imagine how it will be if someone flashes up a powerful light over a magnified glass on your eyes. I started feeling something I never felt before, giddiness started creeping in, the doctor started applying the Lasik, each time he passes the laser into my eyes I felt some pain that I had never felt before, and this coupled with the powerful light made me literally faint. I told the doctor that I need some rest and somehow managed to complete the surgery; still I feel that was one of those days to forget just because of the sheer feeling of pain that I had to undergo on that day.

After the surgery the doctor checked my eyes and said that my eyes are normal and advised me not to be scared as these procedures are normally done on many. She then fixed up July 16th for the Lasik and gave a set of eye drops to apply on a schedule. Days passed by and finally july16th arrived. Woke up in the morning and took a call taxi to the LASIK center, made sure that I didn’t expose myself to the pollution. Everything was set at the center and I was given some pain killers, my eyesight was again checked. Finally the doctor called me in. With the previous bad experience with the barrage laser; I was actually terrified as I went in. The nurses started putting in a lot of drops as I lied down under the Lasik machine, the doctor fixed some equipments on my eyes, I felt a strong pain but controlled myself, the doctor spread some sheets across my eyes and a strong light started flashing on my eyes, after a few minutes the doctor said that she is going to apply the laser and asked me not to blink. As the laser penetrated into my eyes I could smell something getting charred and I told the doctor immediately about it, she said it’s my eye brows that are getting burnt because of the laser, before I could get terrified my brain immediately responded it should be normal and I pacified myself, after two minutes, the doctor said the procedure for my right eye is over and asked me to blink 10times.Two minutes later, the same procedure was carried out on my left eye without any hiccups, and finally the entire surgery came to an end

I was made to wait for 20minutes with my eyes closed and was taken inside the doctor’s cabin for final examination, as I opened my eyes I could see an improved vision for myself, I started getting excited as I saw this world with the normal vision which was deprived of me since my berth. With the same excitement I looked at my mom’s face, she was more happy than I was, my sister kept asking me a lot of questions, but with the excitement that I was in I couldn’t reply back, I thanked the doctor, came back home with my eyes closed. My eyes remained closed for the rest of the day, the next morning when I woke up, I was able to perceive things better, my entire house looked bright, my mom looked very fair, and I could see a never seen brightness. I was happy, I just recollected whatever I experienced all these years and thanked God and my mom for supporting me throughout my life. As days passed my vision started getting better and better, now as I type this post I complete a week after Lasik, with a 99% perfect vision, I know I would get the remaining 1% in the coming weeks.

What is life, if we cannot see the world properly?

I hope this post gives some meaningful information to people who are contemplating Lasik on what to look at while taking up Lasik.
As I look at the pain I underwent, I would like to say it is worth it.

Thanks for reading this post.

Note from mod: Please so not post with FONT COLOR and SIZE tags

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th July 2009 at 13:23.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:42   #144
BHPian

Good for you.

Hi,

I had -20 in Left eye and -18 in right eye before I opted for LASIK in 2001. I am now 40+ and only require reading glasses now.

It's been 8+ years now that I have been without my 'soda' glasses.

I am happy for you.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:58   #145
Senior - BHPian

I certainly feel good to have all organs functioning well after reading your experience.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the world you always dream for !!
Old 24th July 2009, 14:01   #146
BANNED

How are you so certain this is unbiased? This website belongs to people who do Lasik for a living.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:03   #147
Team-BHP Support

Its as unbiased as a review of the santro by Hyundai
Old 24th July 2009, 17:16   #148
BHPian

Guys I need a little help. My younger cousin brother just passed his Class 12 exams and is hell bent on joining Merchant Navy. He will turn 18 in January 2010 and has a power of -2.5 in his righ eye and - 1 in his left. As his vision has to be 100% before joining, he wants to get laser eye surgery done. Problem is the doctor (his Doctor is Dr Shroff in New Delhi) says he shouldnt do it before 18 years of age. If he gets it done before he is 18, his eyesight may reduce again.

My cousin brother now plans to get it done immediately after his 18th month in Jan itself so he does not lose a whole year. He wanted to take the risk and get it done now but we managed to convince him to wait until atleast his 18th Birthday. I still feel he should wait for a little more time (say 3-6 months) after his 18th birthday.

I would appreciate if you guys could me any suggestions?
Old 24th July 2009, 18:30   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I believe many fellow t-bhpians wear glasses and would want to know the alternatives to glasses; I would like to post my experience in taking up LASIK as I was once one among you.

What is life, if we cannot see the world properly?

I hope this post gives some meaningful information to people who are contemplating Lasik on what to look at while taking up Lasik.
As I look at the pain I underwent, I would like to say it is worth it.

Thanks for reading this post.

Note from mod: Please so not post with FONT COLOR and SIZE tags
Itz quite an interesting and informative narrative. Actually I also had Lasik done 4 years back (Setp 2005 to be exact) and have been without prescription glasses ever since (and 6/6 vision). It was actually painless in my case. I went for something called zyoptix (its wavefront guided laser) Lasik at Dr. Mahipal Sachdev (he was HoD at AIIMS and is now having his own eye hospital). The entire procedure for both eyes took less than 10 mins with actual treatment on each eye not more than a min! I will also jot down my own exp here in some detail

I also had very similar feelings for long time with all the frustrations with prescription glasses (about -4D power) and those were compounded when I started playing lawn tennis and swimming. Finally decided to take the plunge, read about it a lot (as much as was available at that time!) and fixed an appointment with the doctor. it was a two stage procedure - first was a pre-op examination (for like 1 hr) where they gathered lot of data about my eyes. the actual surgery was done 2 days later in the afternoon. The doctor did like 10 or 12 surgeries that day in about three - four hours! Most of the patients were girls!
Anyway they were showing the entire procedure on television to the waiting audience (other patients, relativess etc) outside. this helped settle down the nerves somewhat. I went in the op room, they applied some mild Anaesthesia on the eyes and something to dilate them and then they applied clamps to keep eyes open (and it didnt hurt! or I didnt percieve any pain as I was under influence of the anesthesia) the doctor then fed some smart card kind of a thing into his machine that all all my eye's details (this was mapped in the previous pre-op procedure). he then cut a thin flap of the cornea (I cud very much feel what he was doing!) and then applied laser to the exposed eye (for like 30-40s). it felt like watching fireworks (only with no colors). I felt as if everything had turned black and white around me! Mind it during this time the other eye was blinded. The doctor then told me to close eye and then put blinds on it and then repeated the same with other eye. In 15 mins I was out, walking on my legs. It could see (but everything was sort of hazy and eyes were heavily drugged). Anyway I was advised to take rest and really next morning when I woke up, I woke up to a new world - free of my prescription glasses!!! I was the happiest person on earth!
Followed doctors post op precautions and follow-up checks and things have been good so far! I definitely recommend lasik to anyone who wants to get rid of glasses!
Old 24th July 2009, 19:31   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
Guys I need a little help. My younger cousin brother just passed his Class 12 exams and is hell bent on joining Merchant Navy. He will turn 18 in January 2010 and has a power of -2.5 in his righ eye and - 1 in his left. As his vision has to be 100% before joining, he wants to get laser eye surgery done. Problem is the doctor (his Doctor is Dr Shroff in New Delhi) says he shouldnt do it before 18 years of age. If he gets it done before he is 18, his eyesight may reduce again.
I am firmly against elective eye surgery at any age, but even people
who recommend it, don't recommend it before 18 years of age. The
general rule is that your eyesight should be stable for 2 years before
the surgery.

Another thing is that usually power upto -2.5 is OK for the Merchant
Navy - beyond that is a problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright й2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks