Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:45   #181
BHPian

Re: The Indian / Foreign MBA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonic View Post
Need good MBA advice. My only question is this: Are indian MBAs even worth it? I have a good percentile in CAT and calls from top IIMs, are they worth the price?
From my pov it seems a bad bargain tbh. I already make a decent amount of money, nothing spectacular like MBA CTCs, but is getting into 25L loans and then receiving a package where I make more or less (less most likely) the same amount after esops, tax, loan emi and cost of living in a metro city seems a bit odd at the least.

The loan really puts me off because it means that I will have to shift all my plans by 5-10 years and maybe indefinitely and truncates my risk taking ability by a lot, now I can move to whichever city in the world, can buy whatever I want, can afford to slack at work or switch at will, I cannot do that when I have to pay at least 30k loan emi (+home,car etc etc)

Adding to the woes is the fact that I love my job and work remote in my hometown even though I could get a better career track with an MBA.

Another factor is that indian b schools definitely don’t provide the kind of peers or opportunities they did 15 years ago, but less said about that the better.

Should I take a leap of faith? (Or buy an Aprilia RS 457 and keep my current job )
You haven't given enough information about your background for people to offer their opinion; if you are an engineer/quants grad and are in a good profile, then an MBA is unlikely to add any more value. You seem to have answered this question yourself so will not add more. If you crack FMS (Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi) then you will not have to shell out big bucks. If you are good at math then you can work out the return based on the opportunity cost of 2 years and your post qualification pay.

I do want to make a point about Indian MBAs and your question. Are you serious? You mean to say IIM A/B/C/L and even K/I, XLRI, FMS aren't good enough? Lets break it down, if you mean academic rigor, I don't think its even a debate. The intellectual challenge at any of these schools is as good as any other school elsewhere. For most, a good B School is a place where you build your professional network for the future. You can do far worse than walk the hallowed portals of the top ten B schools in India, which consistently graduate managers who are well placed globally.

Of course, you can argue Harvard, Said, INSEAD etc but those places are going to cost you much more without offering you a substantial advantage.

Bottomline - If you are good enough to get into a top B School in India and MBA is what you want to do, it should be a no brainer.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:57   #182
One
BHPian

Quote:

My only question is this: Are indian MBAs even worth it? I have a good percentile in CAT and calls from top IIMs, are they worth the price?

I already make a decent amount of money....

Adding to the woes is the fact that I love my job and work remote in my hometown even though I could get a better career track with an MBA....

Another factor is that indian b schools definitely don’t provide the kind of peers or opportunities they did 15 years ago, but less said about that the better.

Should I take a leap of faith?
If you already love your job (notice I am not talking about you currently earning decent money), that's an envious position to be in already. As long as you are aware that your job won't last forever and it's not inertia/ change you are wary of, you can choose to do whatever suits you today. You will have to choose between two trajectories and both will be good and both will come with challenges irrespective of whatever you choose today.

However, do remember that the biggest advantage of an MBA from the top IIMs is the cushion of the network that gets created which helps in some of the future challenges you will face. To recreate that outside of a school setting is possible but not always easy. So should you decide to not do an MBA, spend the next two years learning to build a network of people who appreciate and recognise your skills while building your skills beyond the job you love.

Not sure why you think that B-Schools don't offer similar opportunities as 15 years back - they do, just that with the amount of entrepreneurship stories, these "regular" opportunities don't get highlighted much.

All the best to whatever you decide, but first, onwards to clearing the interviews to know if you even have to make a decision ....
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 13:03   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
You haven't given enough information about your background for people to offer their opinion
My bad. Yes I am a STEM major and work in a data science related job and I want to take a related trajectory in analytics using MBA, for any others that might opine.
To add, look, I’m in no way doubting what the top B schools might provide, in all honesty if I manage to crack one, I’m going to take it up with both hands. Just want to look at my case through a (very) critical angle.
You make a good point regarding what it might add for someone with my credentials. FMS is what I’m indeed hoping for as it would solve all issues my mind makes a fuss over.

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd February 2024 at 13:06.
Old 22nd February 2024, 16:54   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My bad. Yes I am a STEM major and work in a data science related job and I want to take a related trajectory in analytics using MBA, for any others that might opine.
To add, look, I’m in no way doubting what the top B schools might provide, in all honesty if I manage to crack one, I’m going to take it up with both hands. Just want to look at my case through a (very) critical angle.
You make a good point regarding what it might add for someone with my credentials. FMS is what I’m indeed hoping for as it would solve all issues my mind makes a fuss over.
Your trajectory into analytics will help in Investment banking and other banking fields. So, an MBA will can help you move in that direction faster.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 20:38   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Need good MBA advice. My only question is this: Are indian MBAs even worth it? .....

Should I take a leap of faith? (Or buy an Aprilia RS 457 and keep my current job )
You might want to read this.

Quote:
Hiring slowdown: After IIM Lucknow, BITS Pilani taps alumni network to seek jobs for 2024 batch
Quote:
Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani (BITS), an institute that has created a brand for itself in the world of entrepreneurship, is tapping its alumni network to seek jobs for the batch of 2024 amid a hiring slowdown, multiple sources confirmed.

This comes days after the Indian Institute of Management Lucknow, one of the top five business schools in India, struggling to place about 72 of its students reached out to its alumni.
Quote:
The issue first came to light when the edtech entrepreneur Ravi Handa took to social media platform X (formerly Twitter) to share a screenshot of the message and said, “First IIM Lucknow, now BITS Pilani asking alumni to help out with placements. This is the first time I am seeing such grovelling after 2008,” he said.
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 09:46   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
You might want to read this.
Been following this thread for weeks. As an alumni of one of the institutions mentioned, I know how it is for my juniors. Hearing news from lots of baby IIMs and few older IIMs that people are not getting placed or at least not in the jobs they hoped for. Tech sector is on a slowdown, whatever it means

Anyway gave an IIM interview yesterday, felt it went well. This dilemma is just going to torment me for 2 months
Old 14th March 2024, 22:39   #187
BHPian

Best Executive MBA Programmes?

Hey all,

My wife is a Project Manager (Remote) with a MNC in the Life Sciences industry with 10 years of experience under her belt. She's looking to climb the career ladder, but many senior roles at top companies seem to prefer an MBA (although not always mandatory).

We've been researching options, but here's the dilemma:

IIM/ISB: Too expensive!
Online MBAs: Not convinced they're worth the time & money.
SIBM eMBA: Looks good, but it requires relocating for a year.

Is relocating for a full-time eMBA program really necessary? Are there any good Executive MBA options that would fit her needs?

Additional info-

Education: BE (VTU)
Certification: PMP®
Location: Bangalore (Ideally wants to stay put but open to relocation for a year)

Any advice or recommendations on good Executive MBA programs would be greatly appreciated!
Old 14th March 2024, 23:24   #188
BHPian

Re: Best Executive MBA Programmes?

ISB will be way too expensive and IIMs have good faculties too
Online programs offered by various institutions will just not solve the purpose of networking and learn from various industry leaders of their sector
IIM B will be a good bet
Look for MBA with weekend classes. That way you go full time, don’t risk the job, get the MBA degree.
Jangra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 00:33   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
ISB will be way too expensive and IIMs have good faculties too
Online programs offered by various institutions will just not solve the purpose of networking and learn from various industry leaders of their sector
IIM B will be a good bet
Look for MBA with weekend classes. That way you go full time, don’t risk the job, get the MBA degree.
Thanks for your inputs!

Considering she wants to work while studying, IIMs are effectively out of the race. Bengaluru doesn't offer many promising alternatives. Perhaps SIBM Pune is the nearest and most feasible choice!
Old 15th March 2024, 12:53   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Considering she wants to work while studying, IIMs are effectively out of the race. Bengaluru doesn't offer many promising alternatives. Perhaps SIBM Pune is the nearest and most feasible choice!
Are you sure? IIM Bangalore offers Post Graduate programme in Enterprise Management (PGPEM) for working professionals with weekend classes. This program was started in 1998, but the name has changed. I was in the 3rd batch that started in 2000.
wocanak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 00:26   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Are you sure? IIM Bangalore offers Post Graduate programme in Enterprise Management (PGPEM) for working professionals with weekend classes. This program was started in 1998, but the name has changed. I was in the 3rd batch that started in 2000.
Thanks for the info. Can I DM you?
Old 16th March 2024, 16:06   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Thanks for the info. Can I DM you?
Sure, but keep in mind I did this a long time ago.
wocanak is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks