Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:54   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
The situation in the US looks VERY bleak. Not sure if this is the right time for an MBA!!
It's probably time to sack all the MBAs.

See what the MBA generation has done!

But hey, I still wish any individual personally all the success they can get out of the system
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's probably time to sack all the MBAs.

See what the MBA generation has done!

But hey, I still wish any individual personally all the success they can get out of the system
actually, most of the MBAs end up as workhorses, it's the masters who do the damages. Most of the top execs are not MBAs is what I have heard.
Old 13th October 2008, 08:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

more bad news. i am postponing my applications/looking for low cost options.

Citibank Cancels CitiAssist Student Loan Program at Several Business Schools » Clear Admit: MBA Admissions Consultants Blog

ross, chicago GSB, cornell, wharton, harvard....and they all (understandably) cut off intl students first.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 13th October 2008 at 08:31.
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

I have 20 days to GMAT, can somebody please tell me where I can take timed mock tests so that I have a rough idea of score.
If not timed, even normal site would do, want to get an idea
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:45   #35
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Tsk u giving GMAT ! :O nice nice. Did you get in touch with Jamboree @ NFC
Old 4th November 2008, 00:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

GMAC's software was the best (and their book too), i saved one of the tests for last.

There are some pirated copies on torrents but I don't think you really need to time the whole test. I devoted 1 hour each for each section i.e 4 hrs everyday, just trying to stay in speed.

see if these help:
http://www.testsandtutors.com/course/view.php/GMAT
GMAT Data Sufficiency - TestMagic Forums
Old 4th November 2008, 09:21   #37
Team-BHP Support

My preparation is really horrendous. I started preparing 2 days back.
I have postponed the test before also, and don't intend to postpone it again, so its do or die this time
Old 4th November 2008, 10:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

tsk, All the best for your GMAT test. GMAC provided GMATPrep sample test should be fine. Many people who have taken the test say Kaplan and other GMAT book publisher provided tests are more tougher than the actual test. So its important not to get disheartened if the sample test scores are a bit low.

BTW, Has anyone here posted on scoretop.com ? .. Read on

Last edited by spadival : 4th November 2008 at 10:50.
Old 4th November 2008, 11:02   #39
BHPian

TSK, I was in a pretty similar situation as yours a few months back. It was only 2 weeks before the exam that I realized my predicament. I took a test a day. Kaplan is tough but it doesn't matter as long as you are practising. The best are the GMATPrep tests but you can attempt them no more than thrice, so keep them for the end. I gave my GMATPrep tests on the last 2 days, got the same score on both the mocks and then, in the final exam too. Another thing I did was to make my own mock exams from the OG - approx 12 CRs, 12 RCs, the rest SCs. Mix them up and attempt in 75 minutes. Although you do not get the feeling of a CAT, but then, it's better than nothing!

I wouldn't really agree with you vivek on attempting a section in an hour. You have the time, so why hurry? Just make sure you know where you stand and keep track of the time. The D-Day definitely makes you lose your sense of time! But as long as you get the initial few questions in the green, there's nothing to worry about!

One book I came across in my last few days of prep is Princeton Verbal Workout - this is a fantastic book, get hold of it for a quick walkthrough!
Old 4th November 2008, 11:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have 20 days to GMAT, can somebody please tell me where I can take timed mock tests so that I have a rough idea of score.
If not timed, even normal site would do, want to get an idea
All the best with the GMAT tsk. Don't worry, 20 days is not too short a time span to prepare - as long as you can put in 2 to 3 hours a day of work.

The GMAC simulated tests are pretty good, you should be able to download them from the official website (www.mba.com), since you've registered for the test. You can download two for free as part of the preperation software package. I suggest you take them around a week before the exam and spend the remaining days just practising (assuming you've finished covering the basics by then)

Happy preparing!
Old 4th November 2008, 16:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

Practise around a min of 3 hours a day tsk. Best of luck. And as mentioned princeton review is a great book. One of the best for verbal
Old 4th November 2008, 16:36   #42
Team-BHP Support

I solved a lot of questions in these 2 days on various websites, and also tried the test in the book. Data Sufficiency and statistics are my weak points, algebra etc., I could solve in my mind without even using rough papers etc., pretty quickly.
So will focus more on that.
Wife will be helping me with english(she got 99%ile in CAT) so not too worried about that part for now.

The score is valid for 5 years... right?
Old 4th November 2008, 16:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Is the GMAT exam still based on that on-the-run evaluation format, where the toughness of your next question is decided based on whether you have answered the current question correctly?

If so, then make sure that you devote extra time to questions at the beginning. Dont try to stick to the average time you should be spending on the initial questions. Give them more time. The direction that your score will take is decided primarily in the initial set of questions.
Old 4th November 2008, 20:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

yes, the score is valid within GMAC for 5 years, but it's the school who sometime decide they will only entertain a test taken in last 2 years.

what amitoj said is right. give extra time in beginning, but make sure you finish the whole test be the end. else it's a linear penalty as far as i know.

another thing would be to avoid silly mistakes. i have done crappy mistakes in practice sessions like missing a "not" or responding in fraction when what's asked is a percentage etc. for most of us indians, the toughest part is verbal though. lots of reading practice and grammar technicalities need to be worked on.

I would say if possible get multiple editions of GMAC's own guide because their reasoning is sometimes different from other books.
Old 20th November 2008, 01:06   #45
Team-BHP Support

Okay, less than a week to my test. I started preparing couple of days back and haven't been able to devote any time thanks to official travel and the like.
But I am not too worried, because I don't think I have any plans of doing MBA for next 3 years. So I will be giving GMAT again after 3-4 years or so.
But I want to do the best I can this time also, so will give it my best shot.
I have a few questions
1. What do I take to test center?
I am taking the printout of the email(online registeration) and Passport. I read on the site that they give an erasable notepad with pen, so no personal pen paper needed
2. Even if I am going to apply to a B.School earliest after 2-2.5 years, will giving my score to 5 b-schools of my choice help right now?
3. Does the Essay come up first or last?
4. Do I get a score receipt or printout like thingy also?
5. Anything else I need to know

Most Viewed