Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 13:35   #4801
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Planning to take my wife to a VFM restaurant next monday (Ramzan day). As of now Barbeque Nation is lingering my mind, since I have been to it in Chennai and loved it.
BBQ Nation is always a good place to enjoy a non-veg meal. However, since you confessed to being poor eaters then you will not justify the price you pay which is approximately Rs.750 per person A.I. Btw, if you go dont forget to order their mocktail which is pudina stuffed in some juice and soda. Mindblowingly refereshing

Also, i can recommend "Sholay" for a VFM excellent non-veg meal. Their Chicken Bathinde De Kukkad is very nice and our forum is popular with them. It's located in Begumpet right opp. to Shopper Stop.

Last evening, after the movie, we wanted to stop for a quick meal and after some confusing twists and turns finally landed up at Pakwaan, Lakdikapul

We sat for first time 1st floor in their AC family section. It was decent

We ordered :-

Haleem ( Rs.100)

Worst Haleem of the year. I liked it before but, maybe we went late yesterday it was bad.

Mutton Roganjosh ( Rs.150)

Most oily dish that i ever encountered in my life. Tastless gravy, tough as bones mutton. It was good when i took a take-away. See, i always crib about consistency which is lacking in most places.

Roti : Excellent

Kheema Parantha : It just blew me away. Best Kheema Parantha that i ever had. Soft, Fluffy, non-oily and very tasty

After that disappointing meal, we came down and decided to quickly eat " Badam Phirni" from their outlet downstairs.

I gotta tell you, this was the BEST phirni that i ever tasted. It was full of badams, light and not too sweet. Ate 2 bowls and packed 3 more. Rs. 30 each.

Guys, do try this phirni out before Ramzan ends. Really Really worth it
Old 16th August 2012, 15:46   #4802
Senior - BHPian

Nan-King Fans

For the benefit of Nanking "fans",Nanking-CR has opened up at Picket next to Clubview Guest House.This is on the slope to your left while coming from Secunderabad Club towards Picket.

Also Punjab Sind(Herbal Ghee Paneer Herbal Desi Ghee Fresh Cream Mava (Khoa) Lassi Chaas Shrikhand White Butter Basundi Rabadi Kharvas Milk Curd Kulfi Pro Biotic Curd) has opened up their second outlet in the city at Karkhana next to the Airtel showroom before Ratnadeep while going towards Trimulgherry.
Old 16th August 2012, 15:57   #4803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
BBQ Nation is always a good place to enjoy a non-veg meal. However, since you confessed to being poor eaters then you will not justify the price you pay which is approximately Rs.750 per person A.I. Btw, if you go dont forget to order their mocktail which is pudina stuffed in some juice and soda. Mindblowingly refereshing
I visited BBQ Nation last month and they have reduced the price to Rs.525 plus taxes. May be because they had a case of food poisoning few months back and are trying to get their image restored. At Rs.525. I think is a decent deal. We were in for a surprise. Half way through the dinner, they raised the music volume and all the waiters started dancing on 'wake-waka' and few more songs that I don't remember now. Me and my friend too joined them. May be the first of its kind in Hyderabad. It was an 'AWESOME' experience.
Old 16th August 2012, 16:17   #4804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, if you go dont forget to order their mocktail which is pudina stuffed in some juice and soda. Mindblowingly refereshing.
Are you referring to Masala Coke of BBQ-Nation? +1 for it.

Question : How do you rate Grills N Steak viz-a-viz BBQ-Nation?

Update : Grills N Steak are priced @ 400 odd for mon, tue & thu at lunch and 460 odd for wed and fri at lunch. They do not have buffet on rest of the days or at dinner and also on any public holidays.

Wanted to try out prawns there yesterday but since they were not having buffet being a public holiday, went to Hadippa.

Ordered 1.5 plates of Hadippa Special Tandoori Chicken, 1 Black Dal and 5 rotis between the 4 of us. Costed 800/- including tip. All of us were so stuffed that I did not venture out for my customary haleem outing in the evening and ended up having khichdi for dinner. Of course, the restaurant has changed the marination of their TC and do not do so is curd anymore like earlier times. Though it was not bad at all, the earlier recipe was simply too good.
Old 16th August 2012, 17:23   #4805
Senior - BHPian

Sarvi Banjara Hills Haleem

We did have the Haleem at Sarvi,Banjara Hills the other day.Opted for one normal plate priced at 90rs and one special plate priced at 120.No difference between the two except that the special one had a slice of egg and some cashew nuts sprinkled on top.Quantity was good-no complaints on that front.

Overall the IMHO,the haleem was just average as compared to last year'.The major put off for us was that the haleem was filled with dalchini (cinnamon)every spoon had a piece of it and it was too much trouble biting it or removing it.3/5 for Sarvi from me.Ofcourse I guess the mass production is taking a toll on the quality.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:59   #4806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008

Also, i can recommend "Sholay" for a VFM excellent non-veg meal. Their Chicken Bathinde De Kukkad is very nice and our forum is popular with them. It's located in Begumpet right opp. to Shopper Stop.
Thanks for the feedback. I love the ambience of BBQ Nation, is Sholay on the same standards?

Any other joints i can venture and later wont repent.
Old 17th August 2012, 12:42   #4807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I love the ambience of BBQ Nation, is Sholay on the same standards?
Sholay's ambience is pretty upmarket and decor & theme is based on the famous movie.

Best thing I like about Sholay is if you want to enjoy a quiet meal. It's the best place with not too much bustling crowd and excellent food. Going to a place to enjoy some peace and quiet while having your meal is a rarity these days.

Some of us BHPians have been venturing to this place from last 3 years and had several lunch and dinner meets and liked the food each time.
Old 17th August 2012, 18:06   #4808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
If its Friday night, then may be we will cross paths.
I did not wait till dinner time. The first non-veg meal I had after abstaining for a month was lunch today - mutton fry and prawn fry from KDM. Bliss.
Old 18th August 2012, 10:55   #4809
BHPian

Re: Where all should a foodie tourist in Hyderabad eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
All these are tried and tasted and come strongly recommended. Also do try the Paradise and give your opinion about their biryani. Most of us Hyderabadis believe it sucks and is all hype but there are a few among us who believe it is good. Would like to know what you think.
Well, I had biriyani at Shadab and Paradise. Here is what I thought

Shadab: Asked for extra masala/meat. The masala was quite good, but had very strong cardamom flavour. It was also a little bit too salty. Meat was tender and easily came off the bone

Paradise: Didn't have time to dine in, hence took a special (extra masala/meat) mutton biriyani takeaway. The flavour was much more balanced, with no over-riding strong flavours. Meat was also very tender and fell off the bone.

Quantity, quality of rice, tenderness of meat was about the same for both, but the Paradise biriyani was much more balanced. Hence, I preferred the Paradise biriyani. If you are not a big eater, one biriyani of either place is enough for 3 people. Even if you are a big eater, 2/3rds of a dish should be more than enough.

If you prefer a less spicy biriyani, Shadab might be better as their would be less masala with the same amount of rice, hence it would not have been so salty or had such strong flavour of whole garam masala.

Summary: Recommend Shadab for less spicy biriyani, Paradise for the spicy biriyani (double meat/masala).

Haleem: I had the chance only to have haleem from an outlet selling Pista House's packed Haleem tubs. Quite expensive at Rs.130/tub. There were no fried onions. Also, there were a few small bones and a large piece of cinnamon. The texture was smooth and overall quite tasty, but had a predominant flavour of cardamom. Unfortunately, as my family and relative's are not haleem fans, I am not likely to eat haleem again, so can't compare it to any other Hyderabadi haleem. However, this was much more flavourful and tastier than the haleem I used to get at Good Luck Iranian restaurant near Mehboob Studio in Bandra West in Mumbai.

I was too early in the day to get haleem from Shadab and by the time we finished visiting Charminar and Salar Jung museum, we all just wanted to get back home as soon as possible.

Last edited by anoop.mathew : 18th August 2012 at 11:05. Reason: Added haleem experience
Old 18th August 2012, 21:30   #4810
Senior - BHPian

Re: Where all should a foodie tourist in Hyderabad eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
Well, I had biriyani at Shadab and Paradise.
Glad you got to taste some of Hyderabad's original fare.Sad that you did not get to taste the dine in biriyani at Paradise,the takeaway at paradise is nowhere close to the original one that you get at dine-in.te takeaway just had a couple of huge chunks of meat pieces,marination is bad,and lots and lots of rice,while the one in the restaurant is so so different.Maybe you could do that the next time round.
Old 20th August 2012, 15:43   #4811
BHPian

Visited Kakatiya Mess for dinner on Friday evening after reading the reviews here :-

Fresh, clean and delicious veg meal. Though would have liked to have some other vegetable other than the standard carrot and capsicum ones. Very economical @ Rs.60/-. Tried the Mutton Fry, it was too spicy and salty for my taste .

Visited Old city yesterday evening specially to have haleem and other delicacies.

Pista House :- Extremely crowded, but worth struggling for the piping hot haleem. Absolutely loved it. Also had qurbani ka meetha, firni and sweet paan there. Totally YUMMMMM!!!!
I have been having the firni at Arsalan restaurant in Kolkata since long. But this firni here was absolutely fantastic. Could have gobbled up a dozen bowls . Rounded off the day with a takeaway biryani from my favourite Paradise.
Old 20th August 2012, 17:24   #4812
BHPian

A foodie thread on an automobile forum. Could it get any better??

My few cents :

Fav' biryani - Chicken biryani at Prince, which is near Mehdipatnam. Piping hot, perfect masala (not like the Paradise, Hyderabad house masala), tender chicken that literally melts in your mouth. Prince is known more for its beef, the tala-hua gosht and their beef biryani but I always prefer the chicken. Also, if you ever visit post 4am, you get steaming hot khichdi and kheema, another absolute winner. All meals must end with their malai roti. Now, I hate cream otherwise and am not a big fan of milk, but this malai roti HAS to be tasted to believe it. Isn't the prettiest place to eat at so you'd need to leave your inhibitions by the door.

Chinese - For flavor it would have to be Chinese Pavilion, just past Midway Bakery. Aromas of China isn't bad either. VFM, the erstwhile Nanking near Parklane has been visited since I was a wee lad.

Post 1AM eats - Jugnoo near Erragadda, idlis opposite Aditya Park Inn and at the Secunderabad Station.

Hyderabadi food - Biryani, haleem, shikampur etc all year round from the Nizam Club. If you know any members ask them to take you for a traditional breakfast!

Andhra Food - Abhiruchi, Rayalseema Ruchulu, Spicy Venue, Southern Mirchi - all of them serve you food that threatens to kill you while you eat.

Prawn Biryani - Celebrations opposite Chiranjeevi Eye Bank, made me go back there 3 days in a row once.

Bengali food - A small canteen at the Bangali Samiti next to Ramakrishna Muth - its a dump, but the food is to die for.
Old 20th August 2012, 19:09   #4813
Senior - BHPian

After Ohri's Jiva shifted from Raj Bhavan Road, we had not had a vegetarian buffet meal for long. But with visitors who were pure vegetarians, we tried out their new outlet at the White House building, adjacent to Lifestyle building at Greenlands. The outlet is called Ohris De Thaali, and had valet car parking facility.

Here's what we were served (unlimited) :-
  1. Sabu daana vada and dahi wada
  2. Thepla and phulkas, served with lots of ghee
  3. 2 types of daal (one sweet daal) and kadi to go along with the rotis
  4. 4 curries such as capsicum, paneer, potato and brinjal
  5. Paapad and buttermilk in an earthen goblet
  6. Pulao, khichdi and curd rice
  7. Moong daal ki halwa and chum chum
  8. Kulfi on a long stick
All the above was for a vfm price of Rs 220, incl taxes.

In the evening, had a couple of pals from US visiting, who wanted to have light veg snacks with refreshments.As pubs would be noisy, I took them to Sholay.

They loved the ambience and the theme of the restaurant. But I must admit that for the first time, the veg manchurian starters were not upto the mark, though it was always good over the past few times. Hope they get better in my future visits.

On a sadder note, when I checked my weight today at Imax, I'd shot up 4 kilos. Blame all the haleem and recent gorging on food for this, coupled with lack of walking during summer months. Gotta get back to my exercise regimen now! I promise not the read this thread for the next week at least.

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th August 2012 at 19:13.
Old 21st August 2012, 10:36   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Tried the Mutton Fry, it was too spicy and salty for my taste .
Thats a first. I eat Kakatiya mess food regularly and almost always order mutton fry and mutton curry. Personally I prefer mutton to be fiery hot but KDM is one place where I never found it spicy - not to my liking but it is so delicious I over look the fact that it is not as spicy as I want it to be. Salty? It usually is not at all salty. The cook must have had one of those bad days.

The prawn fry and kheema fry are always very spicy - everytime I ate these dishes it was with a burning tongue and tears in eyes - bliss.
Old 21st August 2012, 11:22   #4815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Thats a first. I eat Kakatiya mess food regularly and almost always order mutton fry and mutton curry. Personally I prefer mutton to be fiery hot but KDM is one place where I never found it spicy - not to my liking but it is so delicious I over look the fact that it is not as spicy as I want it to be. Salty? It usually is not at all salty. The cook must have had one of those bad days.

The prawn fry and kheema fry are always very spicy - everytime I ate these dishes it was with a burning tongue and tears in eyes - bliss.
Ya even i was surprised, after all the good reviews here. What else would you suggest i try next time i am there for dinner?
Also am looking out for more such joints to try out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks