Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 11:14   #4681
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Is it near the pantaloon outlet where some hectic construction activity is going on?
Yes, it is the same one. The new one adjacent to Pantaloons. It was originally supposed to be opened by January 2012 but I guess it got delayed.

Last night ordered one regular Chicken barbeque pizza, one portion chicken wings and one portion chicken strips. Pizza was awesome. I guess the all meat pizza will be even better. Wings were nice. Strips were so so. Total cost - Rs.645/-

Also ordered double meat mutton biryani and family pack chicken biryani from Paradise, Masabtank.

Chicken biryani was an absolute horror. No taste or flavor. Couple of morsels, I did not touch it again. Mutton biryani was better but nowhere close to being great. Pieces were over cooked, lacked that typical biryani flavor.

Paradise - Never Again
Old 12th July 2012, 12:41   #4682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Where is good quality 'bade' ka haleem sold? Someone I know was asking about it.
Few places are listed below:
  • Prince hotel - Mehdipatnam (near old X roads)
  • Amfa hotel - Mehdipatnam (near sarvi)
  • City Diamond - Mehdipatnam (near sarvi)
  • Gulzar Yousufian - Nampally Market
  • Salwa - Charminar ( next to traffic PS)
  • New Hotel Empire - MJ Market ( near PS)
Old 12th July 2012, 15:12   #4683
Senior - BHPian

A few of us landed up at Al Saba restaurant in Gachibowli to taste biryani.
There is a AC Family section with a decent set up and Aircon running efficiently (16 degrees).
We ordered 3 Chicken Biryani and 1 Egg Biryani and closed with irani chai.I found the egg biryani to be excellent and my friends gave a feedback that the chicken biryani was well cooked with double masala.The quantity was quite huge that all of us could not finish their portions.
The pan shop outside Al saba had an amazing Laddu Paan which melted in my mouth.
Worth a try and good enough to take home parcels while returning from work.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img00226201207121300.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img00225201207121258.jpg  

Last edited by hillram : 12th July 2012 at 15:20.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:50   #4684
BHPian

Had mutton curry and mutton fry from Kakatiya mess for lunch yesterday. As usual, excellent. Had leftovers for dinner. KDM rocks.
Old 14th July 2012, 14:42   #4685

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post

Paradise - Never Again
Ditto. Visited Paradise after reading a lot about it. It was a disappointment.
Old 15th July 2012, 01:34   #4686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_411 View Post
Ditto. Visited Paradise after reading a lot about it. It was a disappointment.
Really !! I thought it was just the Hyderabadis who hated Paradise. What did you eat ?
Old 15th July 2012, 02:28   #4687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Really !! I thought it was just the Hyderabadis who hated Paradise. What did you eat ?
I love Paradise. Only the Paradise branch and especially during lunch/dinner time. Their biryani is unbeatable in the twin cities.
Old 15th July 2012, 08:54   #4688

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I had to visit Hyderabad for some business in 2011. Being a foodie, I wanted to give Paradise a try, so I visited and ordered Mutton biryani. I expected "Kacchi Biryani" as I was in hyderabad, but it was "Pucci Biryani". The waiter deftly served depriving me a chance to have a good look at the dish in the metallic "Handi" before it was served. The aroma of the masalas had not percolated well in the rice. The mutton did not come off the bone as it should. We make better biryani at home. I had lunch only once during the stay. Paradise does not qualify for a benefit of doubt as it had been doing biryani for years. There are die hard fans who would swear for its taste, but somehow I was disappointed. With this much of fame and experience, the aroma, the look and the first spoon should hit you like a meteor, it did not.
Old 15th July 2012, 08:56   #4689
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Had mutton curry and mutton fry from Kakatiya mess for lunch yesterday. As usual, excellent. Had leftovers for dinner. KDM rocks.
Could you please locate KDM in google maps. Where is it situated?

I have another query about Midnight Biryani @ Green Park. How much does it cost and is it worth going there. My friend is coming to hyderabad for the first time. I am trying to find a good restaurant which will note make hole in my pocket and give then true hyderabad experience.

Last edited by ottocycle : 15th July 2012 at 09:25.
Old 15th July 2012, 13:26   #4690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Could you please locate KDM in google maps. Where is it situated?

I have another query about Midnight Biryani @ Green Park. How much does it cost and is it worth going there. My friend is coming to hyderabad for the first time. I am trying to find a good restaurant which will note make hole in my pocket and give then true hyderabad experience.
KDM is in Ameerpet : https://maps.google.co.in/maps?daddr...p=1&sz=19&z=17

Note that you should eat there only if you do not mind a few hundred cockroaches swarming your table and chairs.

However, if you get the food packed and eat at home, it will be more enjoyable. The parcel outlet is just down the lane and is not in the dining hall outlet (Saves you from seeing cockroaches and is very neat and clean).

The basic thali which is priced at 60 when eating there is 85 when packed for take away. Add ons to the thali are KDM mutton fry (spl if you want boneless), even egg fry is good. Do not take the biryani there, it is not Hyderabadi dum biryani.

BTW, it is Andhra style food with a solid "hot" level in spiciness.

Not sure of the midnight biryani price for Green Park at the moment but you can expect it to be around 300/350 range and it is VFM at what ever price they charge.

You could try out Shah Ghouse at Toli Chowki in the evenings (ensure that there is a lady in the group else you will be denied access to the family area) or Shadab in the mornings (for breakfast) for some delicious Hyderabadi food which does not burn a hole in the pocket. Shah Ghouse for some kebabs and biryani while Shadab for keema, magaz, khichda, paya and sheermal.
Old 15th July 2012, 14:13   #4691
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
KDM is in Ameerpet : https://maps.google.co.in/maps?daddr...p=1&sz=19&z=17

Note that you should eat there only if you do not mind a few hundred cockroaches swarming your table and chairs.
Thanks hyd_traveller for the detailed info.

I will try the KDM. Take aways only, since I can't bear watching cockroaches running on the food table. That brings to another significant question - is the food hygienic?

Regarding Shadab, what would we get in breakfast? Are the items like keema, magaz, khichda, paya and sheermal, breakfast items? I heard that place is not suitable to go with ladies and take away is better option. Any opinion?

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th July 2012 at 13:54. Reason: Long post quoted
Old 15th July 2012, 16:06   #4692
BHPian

Quote:
That brings to another significant question - is the food hygienic?

Regarding Shadab, what would we get in breakfast? Are the items like keema, magaz, khichda, paya and sheermal, breakfast items? I heard that place is not suitable to go with ladies and take away is better option. Any opinion?
Hygienic? No idea but since I have never heard of any incident of food poisoning or such at KDM, I guess it is safe.

If I had not told you about the cockroaches, your visit to "KDM Takeaway" will never have you even thinking about it not being hygienic. The place is spic-n-span and the display and packing counters area is much more cleaner than "Hyderabad House" and that too by miles.

This is the breakfast menu to be had at Shadab in the authentic style(or the way Silverwood treated me here). Start with paya and sheermal and follow that with keema and magaz with either or both roti and khichdi (I think I have reviewed long back that I would not eat khichdi there but that is my personal taste).

It would certainly be rare to see a lady there for breakfast but a lady will certainly not be subject to lewd remarks or whistles or cat calls. Stares, yes, but that would happen even in the lobby of a 5-star. I do parcel the stuff from there around 7:30 in the morning and then eat the breakfast in the comfort of my home.

Shadab opens up their first floor dining in the evenings (maybe even for lunch but never been there so not sure) and families throng there and you will still get most of the breakfast items even then.

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 15th July 2012 at 16:11.
Old 15th July 2012, 22:54   #4693
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Hygienic? No idea but since I have never heard of any incident of food poisoning or such at KDM, I guess it is safe.
Thanks a lot. I will certainly go either of the hotels. Probably on the day when I will start early to take them to Ramooji Film City.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th July 2012 at 13:54. Reason: Please dont quote an entire long post. Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 11:59   #4694
BHPian

Quote:
That brings to another significant question - is the food hygienic?
In last couple of months I might have eaten the KDM food atleast 15-20 times including a lunch and all dinners since last friday. Hygiene is never a problem and while I never ate in the restaurant, I have friends who ate there for years together. This is the first time I am hearing a complaint about cockroaches, must have been a bad day when hyd-traveller visited. You can safely take your friends for dine in and believe me take away takes away atleast 20% of the taste.

If your friends like spicy food, order kheema fry and prawns fry. There are 2 varieties of mutton fry - one which is totally dry and the other with light gravy. Both are boneless and yummmmm. The mutton curry (with bones - no boneless option) is not as spicy as I prefer but is one of the tastiest I ever ate.

Quote:
I heard that place is not suitable to go with ladies and take away is better option. Any opinion?
Again, you can safely take your female guests to Shadab. I have been there with my wife and never faced a problem.

Last edited by NoRules : 16th July 2012 at 12:01.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:27   #4695
BHPian

Quote:
This is the first time I am hearing a complaint about cockroaches, must have been a bad day when hyd-traveller visited.
You are absolutely right : it had to have been a bad day since I chose to go along with Mod "Mobike008".

We (that is, me, Mobike008 and another friend, Shyamal Jethwa) sat at the table in the corner which is diagonally across from the wash basin / cash counter / entrance).

One thing I can say is that the owner is an extremely humble person. He met me recently while I was parking my car to pick up a parcel and in the course of general chit-chat, told me that he caters to approximately 1,500 meals.

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 16th July 2012 at 12:29.

Most Viewed