Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2021, 18:45   #151
BHPian

Re: Are you diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I used to spend my school holidays at grandparent's place. Typical day, food-wise was: (excludes milk/buttermilk/tea).

8:00 porridge made of coarsely ground Jowar (this mixed with milk)
11:00: lunch - jowar roti
5:00 pm: some snacks
8:00 dinner. Jowar roti or chappati. Foxtail millet rice most of the time. Sometimes white rice.

....... This is where millets are better. Apart from the micronutrients.
We are trying it. Ragi malt in the morning, lunch between 11 and 12, snack at 4+ P.M and 8 P.M Dinner. Rice meal is only for lunch. Night eat is always like Dosa/ Idli/ Upma/Roti-curry kinds.
Old 12th May 2021, 18:49   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Rice meal is only for lunch. Night eat is always like Dosa/ Idli/ Upma/Roti-curry kinds.
What are the dosa/idli/Upma/roti based on ?

Personally, i prefer white rice in the afternoon. Rice at night I prefer fox-tail millet. Fox-tail because it is our traditional choice.

Btw, if any fox-tail millet rice is left over, we just add it to buttermilk the next day and have it. May be a round in the mixie to mix it up.
Old 12th May 2021, 19:50   #153
BHPian

Quote:
End of the day, all food gets converted. What we need to look out is - the glycemic load and glycemic index. This is where millets are better. Apart from the micronutrients.
All millets, quinoa, oats etc. are whole grains and primarily comprised of carbs, which again spikes blood sugar levels. The nutrition part is also very less. A diet higher in vegetables will give much better nutrition in terms of vitamins and minerals. The misconception of millets being the healthy choice is due to the millet mafia advocating the benefits for commercial gain as a super food, wonder food etc. It has become more of a fashion nowadays to promote millets saying it’s the healthier choice.

If one must have millets, its better to restrict the quantity to bare minimum possible. Most of the times we consume carbs in excess and that’s where the problems start.

The human body can function very well with lower quantities of carbs. It’s just a matter of tuning the body to function on other sources of energy.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 20:07   #154
BHPian

Quote:
What are the dosa/idli/Upma/roti based on ?

Personally, i prefer white rice in the afternoon. Rice at night I prefer fox-tail millet. Fox-tail because it is our traditional choice.

Btw, if any fox-tail millet rice is left over, we just add it to buttermilk the next day and have it. May be a round in the mixie to mix it up.
There is some rice, but I believe not as much as rice centric meal. Typically there is Black gram, Bengal gram, etc.. in close to equal portion. Yup, buttermilk is a great soother plus healer in summer.
sreenivass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 20:24   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Personally, i prefer white rice in the afternoon
You may try boiled/brown rice instead of white rice. The former has low glycemic index comparatively. Also it is known to be more nutritious. Just my 2 cents
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 10:36   #156
BHPian

Indians consume some form of dairy with almost every meal these days. And India has the second largest number of diabetics in the world! There is a connection. Milk is leading cause of Diabetes.

Source

This came in google feed today and the reasons mentioned in the post is abysmal.

Quote:
Have you noticed that whenever you experience emotional or physical stress, the blood sugar levels most likely go up? For example, during an operation or a medical intervention, fever or even a visit to the dentist, the blood sugar levels may rise. When we are stressed we produce adrenaline. When animals are stressed they, too, produce adrenaline. Cows are subject to crude artificial insemination, and after delivery have their babies taken away from them so that all their milk can be sold. They are re-inseminated just a few months after, so that they are pregnant and lactating at the same time. After just a few repeated pregnancies she is spent and goes to slaughter. This is a severe stress and therefore dairy is full of stress hormones and contributes not just to diabetes but also psychological issues.
There are lot of debates, analysis, experiments on whether Milk is one of the reason for Diabetes and there are contradicting outcomes to it

Diabetes.co.uk says

Quote:
Milk and type 1 diabetes
Cow’s milk has been linked with an increased incidence of autoimmune diseases including type 1 diabetes.

Research has indicated that the presence of cow’s insulin within cow’s milk leads to an increased number of autoantibodies which raise the risk of type 1 diabetes. The research has yet to prove conclusive enough to change health recommendations on the drinking of cow’s milk.
Diabetes.org.uk says

Quote:
What effect does eating dairy foods have on my blood glucose levels?
The glycaemic index (GI) tells us whether a food raises blood glucose levels quickly, moderately or slowly. This means it can be useful to help you manage your diabetes. Carbohydrates are digested and absorbed at different rates, and GI is a ranking of how quickly each carbohydrate-based food and drink makes blood glucose levels rise after eating them. Milk and other dairy food generally have a low GI because of the moderate GI effect of the lactose (natural sugar in milk), plus the effect of the milk protein, which slows down the rate of stomach emptying.
and many more..

Just thinking whether this new post from Outlook India is a paid article from PETA considering their recent battle over Cow's Milk and Vegan Milk?

What do you guys think? Yes or No to the Milk?
Old 28th September 2021, 16:59   #157
BHPian

My son, aged 9y and 9m was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last week.

I am curious to know if anyone here knows someone who is now a grownup and was diagnosed with diabetes as a child. Would like to know how as a child they coped up with the changes in diet, frequent pricking, etc

A question on Glucometers- We were having Gluco One from Dr. Morepen and yesterday we found that it gives reading which differed at times even by 60 units. The readings were taken consecutively. Maybe even within a minute.
Today I got an Accucheck and find that it too provides different values but not up to the deviation that Gluco One showed. Are there any trusted meters? Are these variances normal and if so how to get near to accurate measurements?
Old 28th September 2021, 18:48   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Today I got an Accucheck and find that it too provides different values but not up to the deviation that Gluco One showed. Are there any trusted meters?
Recommend you to do away with these meters. You are doing more harm by pricking him umpteen times. Have a monthly check-up in a trusted lab and go for the HB1AC test for the averages once in three months. Follow the diet plan and regular exercises. Hope your Son copes up with the new diet plan and do not stress him much.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 11:46   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any trusted meters? Are these variances normal and if so how to get near to accurate measurements?
My wife has been using a Arkray glucometer for the past several years, and says its quite accurate (when compared with a lab test done around the same time). Battery life is good and strips are also easily available (at least in Pune). However, it doesn't have many memory related features, if that's important for you.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 12:03   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My son, aged 9y and 9m was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last week.

I am curious to know if anyone here knows someone who is now a grownup and was diagnosed with diabetes as a child. Would like to know how as a child they coped up with the changes in diet, frequent pricking, etc
I had a colleague who's son was diagnosed when he was about 7 during mid 90's. The boy is now grown up and lives in London with his wife and kid. I don't remember much now, but he seemed normal whenever I saw him and all of us took care to treat him as a normal kid.

If he went to attend any birthday parties at his friends' places the parents concerned were notified in advance by my colleague about his condition and what he can and can't eat. He himself will carry a few diabetic chocolates and if nothing else was available, eat only them. He was also trained to inform the adults in any new home he visited alone or with his friends about his condition as soon as he arrived.

Things have changed quite a lot a quarter century down the line, your son will be alright. I am now retired, but I will try and get in touch with my friend and find out any important tips that will help. My blessings and best wishes to your kid.

Last edited by Gansan : 29th September 2021 at 12:06.
Gansan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 12:37   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Things have changed quite a lot a quarter century down the line, your son will be alright. I am now retired, but I will try and get in touch with my friend and find out any important tips that will help. My blessings and best wishes to your kid.
Thanks a lot, sir. I am given the examples of many kids who grew up fine and are fine which is very reassuring.
Old 29th November 2021, 10:24   #162
BHPian

Read this promising news today -

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/27/h...tem-cells.html

Quote:

Mr. Shelton, now 64, may be the first person cured of the disease.

The study is continuing and will take five years, involving 17 people with severe cases of Type 1 diabetes. It is not intended as a treatment for the more common Type 2 diabetes.

On June 29, he got an infusion of cells, grown from stem cells but just like the insulin-producing pancreas cells his body lacked. Now his body automatically controls its insulin and blood sugar levels.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 10:54   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
All millets, quinoa, oats etc. are whole grains and primarily comprised of carbs, which again spikes blood sugar levels. The nutrition part is also very less. A diet higher in vegetables will give much better nutrition in terms of vitamins and minerals. The misconception of millets being the healthy choice is due to the millet mafia advocating the benefits for commercial gain as a super food, wonder food etc. It has become more of a fashion nowadays to promote millets saying it’s the healthier choice.

If one must have millets, its better to restrict the quantity to bare minimum possible. Most of the times we consume carbs in excess and that’s where the problems start.

The human body can function very well with lower quantities of carbs. It’s just a matter of tuning the body to function on other sources of energy.
True. I have a chonic disease and I have bee advised from 2004 to take high protein and low carbs and fat. In fact, it is a paleontological fact. Till 25000 to 30000 years ago, excavation of human bones reveal larger heights and strong bones. They were hunter gatherers living on cooked meat and moving around. Then around 12000 years ago, agriculture an domestication and tethering to one place. Result. Higher population could be spported but more carbs in dietfrom cereals caused shorter heights and weaker bones. Shorter heights are not measured in feets but inches. But hunter gatherer protein diets and active lifestyle made their bones and physical condition much better. After all, that is what all fitness regimens prescribe today???
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 12:30   #164
BHPian

Have been T2D since 2009. Have gone through multiple medications to control the symptoms of high glucose. Evidently every 2-3 yrs end up taking more stronger medicines. Initial 1-1.5yr the medicines would work and control but does not improve the insulin sensitivity. Metformin to Azulix 2MF to Januvia and then to Janumet etc. Nothing has helped much. Maintaining them during office work and travel is always a challenge.
My Hba1c is 9.7 to 11.5%. Its too high even after following the routine from doctor. Doc himself says to eat Ragi/Rice/Chapathi etc and take meds. Then found that all these carbs are very bad including millets. Even tried fruits like Papaya/guava/Orange/Brinjal/Egg plant which spiked my glucose like 100 points. Most of these are GM produce probably. The food quality is bad even after spending good amount on fruits & veggies.

After going through Dr. Fung Diabetes Code book, have started 20hrs fasting with 4 hrs window of eating LCHF food that too veg items only. Am able to control it better from 300+ fasting to 150+ fasting. PPS is also controlled with LCHF diet which does not cross more than 30-40 points after 90mins. Really amazed to see this result.

Only gripe is that dawn effect of high glucose in morning after 12hrs. Its mostly around 190-200. However, if i exercise for 30mins & test it will be down to 150-160 types.

I think I need this routine for 6 months to make my insulin resistance better rather than only controlling the glucose by medicines.

My current routine: LCHF since last 3 weeks

1) 8pm Dinner to 5pm - Water fasting. If hungry, drink black coffee/tea no sugar.
2) @5pm Drink Whey Protein Isolate (no sugar) 1-2 scoops
3) @6pm Eat Panner few slices and grated cheese
4) @7-8pm Eat veggie salad made with Broccoli/Cauliflower/Capsicum/Tomato/Cucumber/Nuts
5) Good Portion of Curd with flax seeds and pumpkin seeds
6) Exercise for 45mins in morning and 30mins walk in night

https://headbangerskitchen.com/ - This site or videos helped a lot in trying different varieties of Keto diet.

With above, my PPS glucose test would not spike more than 20-30 points.
And i feel full throughout the night. However, whenever there is a function or festival hard to avoid the cravings of typical south indian dishes. Hard to explain when relatives ask why fasting every time. Trying my best.
blackstallion76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 17:54   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
After going through Dr. Fung Diabetes Code book, have started 20hrs fasting with 4 hrs window of eating LCHF food that too veg items only. Am able to control it better from 300+ fasting to 150+ fasting. PPS is also controlled with LCHF diet which does not cross more than 30-40 points after 90mins. Really amazed to see this result.

Only gripe is that dawn effect of high glucose in morning after 12hrs. Its mostly around 190-200. However, if i exercise for 30mins & test it will be down to 150-160 types.
You are doing the right thing. Please also monitor your fasting insulin hormone in the blood.

I feel sad that doctors may prescribe bariatric surgery for obesity and diabetes but they never advise the fasting. Just shows the amount of commercialization in today's world: one only recommends what one can sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
In fact, it is a paleontological fact. Till 25000 to 30000 years ago, excavation of human bones reveal larger heights and strong bones. They were hunter gatherers living on cooked meat and moving around.
I think most hunter gatherers were more of gatherer and less of hunter. Otherwise we would've never progressed to agriculture. It is the foraging knowledge that was instrumental in selection and cultivation.

Regarding the physical characteristics of hunter gatherer: why don't we check the height and weight of hunter gatherers living TODAY and compare it with us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Indians consume some form of dairy with almost every meal these days. And India has the second largest number of diabetics in the world! There is a connection. Milk is leading cause of Diabetes.

What do you guys think? Yes or No to the Milk?
Quite frankly, it is not just the stress on the animal aspect but loading up on antibiotics and hormones that is prevalent in animal husbandry industry that scares me.

Does milk cause Diabetes: Definitely NO! Otherwise all nomads roaming in the Steppes would have it.

However, there is a growing understanding (and perhaps some sort of consensus) within the medical community that most of the prevalent disorders of with our modern lives (diabetes, arthersclerosis, allergies, etc.) are caused specifically by our own immune system gone berserk, attacking our own cells.

There can be a lot of factors instrumental in making our immune system oversensitive, but unwanted chemicals in our food (pesticides, antibiotics, heavy metals etc.) definitely contribute majorly to it. You may want to read more about the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_microbiome and its effect on our life processes.

The higher up in the foods chain, the more concentration of these unwanted chemicals one observe.

Last edited by alpha1 : 29th November 2021 at 18:01.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks