Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 07:52   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Are you diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
I would like to know some more about something but would wait a little.
That's excellent progress. And typical of most of us - we dont realize we have the levels get high, and we discover it accidentally.

Curious, but what is the "something" you mentioned here ?
Old 29th August 2012, 08:58   #62
ECM
BHPian

One major point which many are not aware of and often it creates a confusion.
Pen cartridges must be kept in refrigerator(not in freezer)at a temp of 5*-10*C or so.Once you start using the pen with the full cartridge,pen should be placed at a place having max temp.of 30*C and should not keep in freeze at this time.All this is written on the pack of cartridges but very few people/patients take a note of this in their daily life.
Quote:
Thanks, ECM! We used the pen only after meeting our family doctor. This was a spontaneous question that cropped up when we purchased the pen!
Old 29th August 2012, 09:49   #63
BHPian

Frio is available in India. The distributor is in Mumbai. PM me for address/contact. I will need some time to dig this info up from my rolodex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868
Guys, How do you take the insulin pen with you when you go out?
Its written that it once you start using it, it needs to be stored at room temperature < 30C
Is there any carry case like this available in India?
FRIO :: Individual Pen Wallet :: Buy Online
Old 29th August 2012, 11:31   #64
ECM
BHPian

@ Rajesh1868 check your PM.I have sent you address/contact details for Frio packs which will be useful to you while traveling/keeping cartrides during prolong power failures.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
@ Rajesh1868 check your PM.I have sent you address/contact details for Frio packs which will be useful to you while traveling/keeping cartrides during prolong power failures.
@ECM,

I first didnt understand the PM you sent as i had posted the query long back. Thanks for the info provided. Will check out
Old 29th August 2012, 17:07   #66
BHPian

Hi All,

Has any one tried Pranayam as a cure/controller for diabetes?
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:58   #67
ECM
BHPian

It helps but no idea wether it cures Type-2 diabetes.In Type-1 diabetes only Insulin and strict diet helps(caunting carbs).We must remember that diabetes is a system disorder and not a disease.Each patient act differently when thinking of diet-insulin-exercise factor etc..
Quote:
Has any one tried Pranayam as a cure/controller for diabetes?
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:32   #68
BHPian

Hi everybody
Once you become diabetic then always a diabetic(this is quoted always as far as allopathy school of thought is concerned)
The moment you start nearing the border line then somethings can definitely delay the onset.
Diet,walking and one yoga exercise which stimulates the pancreas does help.Am not sure if it is the pranayam.
Fenugreek roasted on a tawa powdered in a mixie and a teaspoon taken on an empty stomach and 20 minutes before tea/breakfast helps.I take it everyday.
My Maharashtrian homeopathy doctor had suggested 'gurmar' and i have read about it in a newspaper.I have never tried it.
Fresh bitter gourd juice/powder of it available with ayurvedic pharmacies may help.
An old Sindh grocer had mentioned about bitter things that will delay the onset.
Since my mother, my grandmother were diabetic and my brother also is, I take good care.
Caveat:I am not a doctor,forget being a doctor not even a compounder.
Regards
Old 4th September 2012, 00:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Fenugreek roasted on a tawa powdered in a mixie and a teaspoon taken on an empty stomach and 20 minutes before tea/breakfast helps.I take it everyday.
My Maharashtrian homeopathy doctor had suggested 'gurmar' and i have read about it in a newspaper.I have never tried it.
Fresh bitter gourd juice/powder of it available with ayurvedic pharmacies may help.
An old Sindh grocer had mentioned about bitter things that will delay the onset.
Since my mother, my grandmother were diabetic and my brother also is, I take good care.
Caveat:I am not a doctor,forget being a doctor not even a compounder.
Regards
Sir, you need not be a doctor to suggest the stuff above, it is pure experience and all of it is true. Fenugreek has immense potential to avert diabetes and also to control diabetes. Thanks for sharing.
Old 4th September 2012, 09:52   #70
BANNED

I know the Fenugreek treatment can lower the Cholesterol and sugar dramatically. However, it will work on only about 10-15% of the population. So no harm in trying, and maybe you are the lucky one.
Old 4th September 2012, 11:02   #71
ECM
BHPian

Thanks v.much Faustus77,Esteem_lover and sgiitk for sharing your thoughts.
Now I want to share some information on Type 1 diabetes which occurs in Children,this generally seen at an age around or below 12.Sadly one can only know this T-1 only when patient/Child is about to collapse from severe high blood sugar- say Fasting Blood sugar above 300 or so(This should be around 90-100 in normal person).Ketone(Protein)is seen is Urine as body starts to burn the fat at this stage and child fast loose the weight,dark circle around eyes etc..No hunger,nautia etc is seen,list is long.
In early age there is one thing which can be taken seriously though there can be several reasons for this but what I have observed is most of Children used to wet their beds in their childhood at an age of 5 or above.I am involved in a juvenile diabetic foundation where we have at present around 300 children having T-1 diabetes and this feagure is going up and up slowly,a dangerous sign IMO.
Whenever we arrange the annual camp(Each year in December all India level camp is being held at Khandala)and in prelunch session when we see all these children taking their Insulin shot with smiling faces,even a strong person cannot stop tears in his eyes.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:27   #72
BHPian

Diabeties was just another medical condition to me until a month back. Did not know much about it other than something related to sugar. My 2 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes just one day after her 2nd birthday. With no history of diabetese on either side for couple of generations it was a shock. We only came to know about this after she felt sick for 2-3 days with symptoms of polyuria(excessive urination) and polydipsia(excessive thirst). She was admitted with DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis) for alomst 10 days. Since then she is on insulin. Its been one month and the entire family is learning to manage her sugar level. Normal things like sending her to day care, taking her out for weekend shopping, a day picnic or outstation trip have all changed. She is healthy kid now after recovering all her lost weight in one month. You would not know she is diabetic until someone tells you.
Test have indicated that she had high levels of sugar for almost 2-3 months before the DKA. Cause suggested by tests is destruction of beta cells in pancreas by her own antibodies.
Have to say my daughter has taken this bravely. She has got used to the daily 10 times of sugar checking and 4 injections of insulin. She has even given funny names to these. She calls the pricking required to check blood sugar level as "ding" and happily suggest which finger to use to draw the blood. The two types of injections - basal dose given through pen device is called "mothi mungi" and the bolus dose through small syringe is called "choti mungi" literally indicating a sensation of being biten by a big ant or small ant respectively.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:27   #73
ECM
BHPian

Dear Vtec-Guy sorry to know that your daughter is T-1 diabetic.It is indeed heartbreaking moment when one get the news"your kid is diabetic",you are not alone as my younger daughter found T1 is 2008 and still I cannot forget that day which changed our entier life and that is the motto why I started this thread!
She too takes 4 shots per day and all with a smiling face,initially she was upset when she used to inject with syringes but now she is using Pen with 3 bolus(Humalog) and 1 basal(Lantus).She was 10 when she got diagnosed but in your case she is too young(2 years).I can feel your pain but we have to adjust ourselves to these conditions.You can use a bolus calculator which I have posted earlier in this thread,it is very helpful and while using it you need to input some datas like Carb intake,Target blood sugar etc.If you need any help please PM me.I wish very best to you and your family,lots of love and blessings to your sweet daughter.
Old 14th September 2012, 00:05   #74
BHPian

Vtec-Guy/ECM
Hi.
Felt very sad after reading your posts.
Around 15 years back read about a family from Calcutta which migrated lock,stock and barrel as their T-1 daughter could not be treated there.The doctors had recommended the move to Bombay(things might be different now).Subsequently a German hospital took up this case and sponsored her visit and cure.As there was no follow up on the news do not know the outcome otherwise I would have remembered it.
I dont know if this bit of news is of any help but it is something I wanted to do.
Blessings to your daughters.
Regards
PS:I am just a layman.
Old 14th September 2012, 18:10   #75
BHPian

Had visited the KEM hospital in Pune for my daughters checkup couple of weeks back. KEM is very well known for there diabetes centre.
Came to know there that there are almost 500+ children who are registered there and being treated for T-1 diabetese which is also commonly known as juvenile diabetes. Also many of the cases are of children aged below 4 years age. Don't know whether we can conclude anything out of this information but just wanted to share it.

@faustus77 - lot of study and progress is made on diabetes in recent years (last 10-20 yrs) and it can be monitored and controled in better way now a days.

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 14th September 2012 at 18:15.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks