Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 14:19   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
I'm into embedded testing basically into settop box testing.
I work in a small company which is into embedded domain. Last month 12 out of 17 employees in our project were asked to leave... the same day. A huge shock for us. We completely lost the motivation to work...

Looking out for openings but the situation is very bad right now...
Old 15th April 2009, 15:31   #362
BHPian

I am into embedded testing (Device Software Management) and looking out for a job. I will most likely be out of job by first week of May. Most of my colleagues who were laid off in Feb are yet to land in a job.

If you are aware of any opportunities in this field, please let me know
Old 15th April 2009, 17:10   #363
BHPian

Sign of Things to Come : No free coffee for IBMers from May 1

No free coffee for IBMers from May 1- Software-Infotech-The Economic Times

IBM worldwide has begun cost cuts in order to battle the effects of the global financial crisis and will scrap office amenities such as
tea and coffee, and even company-funded home internet access.
From May 1, IBM will cease to reimburse Internet access for staff working from home. Direct pay corporate managed and contracted home Internet services will also be scrapped.
"IBM will cease the reimbursement of home internet access for employees," The Australian quoted the company, as saying in an email to staff.
"Secondly, over the next several months the provision of some office amenities, including tea and coffee supplies, will be phased out. Where it makes sense, our intent is to replace this with user-paid vending machines at selected sites."
IBM said the expiring home Internet policy was developed in the 1990s, when home Internet was not the norm. The cost-cutting measures would allow IBM to continue workforce programmes including a salary bonus pool, a single-cycle salary review later in the year, funding education to support revenue generation and continuing to invest billions in research and development, it said.
IBM Australia declined to reveal how much money it expected to save from the cost-cutting initiatives.
IBM reported a 12 per cent gain to $4.4 billion in net income for the fourth quarter of 2008, but slipped 6 per cent in revenue to $27 billion when the recession hit technology spending.
In January, IBM sent layoff notices to more than 2800 people in its sales and software groups in the US. The latest round of job cuts at IBM was announced last month, when industry sources said another 5000 IBM workers in the US would lose their jobs.

PS: No offense meant to anyone. Just reporting !!!!
Old 15th April 2009, 17:38   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
No free coffee for IBMers from May 1- Software-Infotech-The Economic Times

IBM worldwide has begun cost cuts in order to battle the effects of the global financial crisis and will scrap office amenities such as
tea and coffee, and even company-funded home internet access.
From May 1, IBM will cease to reimburse Internet access for staff working from home. Direct pay corporate managed and contracted home Internet services will also be scrapped.
"IBM will cease the reimbursement of home internet access for employees," The Australian quoted the company, as saying in an email to staff.
"Secondly, over the next several months the provision of some office amenities, including tea and coffee supplies, will be phased out. Where it makes sense, our intent is to replace this with user-paid vending machines at selected sites."

PS: No offense meant to anyone. Just reporting !!!!
The Home internet policy seems fine, nothing wrong with it anticipated step in a slowdown, however what's really interesting is the amount they intend to save from cutting down on tea & coffee across the board.

Any idea who the provider to IBM is for tea & coffee ? Is it machine made or man made coffee & tea ?

Man made would be expensive compared to machine made.

Cheers
Old 15th April 2009, 17:43   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Any idea who the provider to IBM is for tea & coffee ? Is it machine made or man made coffee & tea ?

Man made would be expensive compared to machine made.

Cheers
AFAIK its machine made coffee/Tea. And atleast in IBM India it tastes like crap. I am sure, no one will miss it. IBM - US always had pay for coffee concept.

Moreover, this news looks like its for IBM - Australia. My sources tell me that no one in IBM India has been informed about the same atleast not until today.

Regards,
Old 15th April 2009, 17:49   #366
BHPian

Quote:
however what's really interesting is the amount they intend to save from cutting down on tea & coffee across the board.

Cheers
I dont know others numbers in here, but in my division, for a employee strength of 75, we get a canteen bill of more than 1.5 L for lunch, tea/cofee. When I heard the numbers, I thought thats a good professsion if we loose job
Old 15th April 2009, 20:21   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
I dont know others numbers in here, but in my division, for a employee strength of 75, we get a canteen bill of more than 1.5 L for lunch, tea/cofee. When I heard the numbers, I thought thats a good professsion if we loose job
A 20k budget per person per month you bet its going to go. (if you divide the 1.5l by the 75 people )

The machine made tea coffee costs cuts is hardly a cut, max to max 18k a month for 100 people (this is max you can go as low as 9k as well but its all saccharine and chicory no real coffee).

What are they intending to save with the machine made coffee ? peanuts .

This I think is to convert a cost head into a revenue stream, or sounds like that.

Cheers
Old 15th April 2009, 20:28   #368
BANNED

IBM is going to close down Australia and UK offices. Close down as in not a total shutdown. Marketing, sales and allied will stay. Recession is being used as a excuse. This was formulated way before the recession hit. It has acted as a catalyst to get it going though.
Old 15th April 2009, 20:53   #369
Senior - BHPian

675,000 jobs lost in the US in March.Unemployment's headed close to 8.0%. Where is all this headed??
Old 15th April 2009, 21:02   #370
BHPian

I work for one of the Indian IT majors and just received notification of flat 50% cut on salary. Need to work only 10 days a month.

Compared to many thousands who lost their jobs, I'd consider myself lucky that I get to keep the job even though at 50% reduced salary.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 15th April 2009 at 21:03.
Old 15th April 2009, 21:42   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I work for one of the Indian IT majors and just received notification of flat 50% cut on salary. Need to work only 10 days a month.

Compared to many thousands who lost their jobs, I'd consider myself lucky that I get to keep the job even though at 50% reduced salary.
50% cut? Holy cow! I know that something's better than nothing, but this is a bit too drastic. Any plans of working elsewhere on the side?
Old 16th April 2009, 08:47   #372
BHPian

No wonder IBM is recruting for Hyd, Pune, Blr and Delhi positions.
Refer to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1262446-post180.html for more info.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 16th April 2009 at 08:53.
Old 16th April 2009, 09:06   #373
BHPian

Quote:
A 20k budget per person per month you bet its going to go. (if you divide the 1.5l by the 75 people ) Cheers
You know what. I want it to go. Surprisingly, till date we are NOT charged for food/beverages we consume in office.

Gut feeling is that either they might ask us to share the burden by putting a partial cost on us, or they mgiht even withdraw the same.

Transport, till date its still 800 bucks, might/might not increase. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:13   #374
Senior - BHPian

Have just put down my papers in my present company. Will join the new one on 7th May, 09 with a higher position but a reduced compensation. Trying to appear for other interviews as well where I get the same position but a higher compensation!
Old 16th April 2009, 10:34   #375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A 20k budget per person per month you bet its going to go. (if you divide the 1.5l by the 75 people )

The machine made tea coffee costs cuts is hardly a cut, max to max 18k a month for 100 people (this is max you can go as low as 9k as well but its all saccharine and chicory no real coffee).
Hmm, isn't that 2K budget per person per month, why isn't anybody pointing it out?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks