Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 14:14   #406
BHPian

My brother works with one of the IT giants, it's unbelievable what they are for cost cutting - Got cheaper brand of teabags, told the peons not to serve tea to the employees, forcing the employees to take a test to be retained.
Old 8th May 2009, 14:57   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee
Is it only the services sector or even the product / manufacturing firm environment too is like this?
I work for a product company and while we did not have any lay-offs, workload has definitely increased. Mainly because there is a recruitment freeze and so when new projects/tasks come in, the existing people have to do it, apart from their usual tasks.
Old 8th May 2009, 16:36   #408
BHPian

Hi there, I am as they all say in one of the most scariest field today. I am working for a financial services company in the investment banking team...

To be honest we live in terror, because everyday we hear stories of other I banks laying off people and we wonder whats going to happen???

TOUCH WOOD there have been no lay offs in my deptartment as of now but we have had salary cuts in the range of 20% - 30% depending on your seniority.

Also there have been some other cost cutting measures that have been implemented. Our profile generally demands long working hours and as a rule, these guys turn of the AC at 6 in the evening to top that we have no windows in our office or any fans so basically I can actually use the saying "ye mere khoon pasine ki kamai hai" . Instead of using vaccum cleaners the poor office boys are now sweeping our 12000 sq ft office... Instead of mineral water, they have now installed a water purifier for drinking water. Also the fancy coffee machines have now given way to the cheaper nescafe ones. Our travelling budgets have gone down and are now only allowed to use the no frill airlines like Go Air and so on...

God knows when but I really hope that the markets stabilize as soon as posible!
Old 8th May 2009, 16:37   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Girl View Post
My brother works with one of the IT giants, it's unbelievable what they are for cost cutting - Got cheaper brand of teabags, told the peons not to serve tea to the employees, forcing the employees to take a test to be retained.
Thats nothing...beyond what you've mentioned, my company (one of the IT giants) additionally has

# Removed Pantry: Only vending machines which serve some horrible liquid irrespective of Tea/Coffee selection. It helped me kick the tea habit though.

# Curtailed support staff: Washrooms are cleaned only once in the morning, No more air freshners and the exhaust fans are either damaged or switched-off to save on electricity. Cant go there beyond 11:00AM or else you'll puke.

# AC temperature has been increased to 27 degrees (Still fine) to save on running costs, AC works only intermittently to save on power and strictly during office hours only. If you want to stay late for any reason, bring your own fan from home.

# Reduced security staff means no more vehicle inspection at the gate. Just flash your ID and get in/out. ISI/Taliban...are you hearing?

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 8th May 2009 at 16:53.
Old 8th May 2009, 18:37   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Girl View Post
told the peons not to serve tea to the employees, forcing the employees to take a test to be retained.
I have never had a luxury of peons. always thought that was a remnant of british raj era. efficiency bars are in pace in government organizaions for decades. As long as it's not unfair, I don't see an issue in demonstrating my skills via a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankoor View Post
Instead of using vaccum cleaners the poor office boys are now sweeping our 12000 sq ft office... Instead of mineral water, they have now installed a water purifier for drinking water. Also the fancy coffee machines have now given way to the cheaper nescafe ones. Our travelling budgets have gone down and are now only allowed to use the no frill airlines like Go Air and so on...
I have been advocating these changes even before the recession hit. if labor is cheaper, why use fancy vacuum cleaners and a lot of electrical energy. do you know for each bottle of mineral water there is 4 bottles of water wasted in preparing it. not to mention fossil buel burnt in transporting it. nescafe are good. and i hope you are not complaining about travelling go-air.
Old 9th May 2009, 00:00   #411
Senior - BHPian

we've been using the previous days newspapers to wipe/dry our hands in our pantries instead of tissue paper for a while now. and notepads are being made from abandoned printouts which would have been otherwise shredded.
Old 9th May 2009, 03:11   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Effect of the recession? Never wanted to take an on-site assignment in the UAE, but after being without Projects for close to 5 months I ended up in a Project @ Dubai in Peak Summer
Old 9th May 2009, 04:04   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
we've been using the previous days newspapers to wipe/dry our hands in our pantries instead of tissue paper for a while now.
Ha, in our company they stopped providing tissue papers in pantry and restrooms. On contacting the admin, the employees were advised to use their own kerchiefs. Thank god they still provide us with toilet papers though.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:22   #414
BHPian

Found something on Rediff

The Layoff Tales: Indians laid off by the current recession tell their stories |rediff.com
Old 11th May 2009, 12:16   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
notepads are being made from abandoned printouts which would have been otherwise shredded.
We have been actually doing that for a long time now and not because of recession but to save paper.

Also vivekiny2k - the thing is that we are to used to the pampering we get when we fly Jet or Kingfisher because of their frequent flyer programs. Also as far as the vacuum cleaners are concerned, I guess your office area plays an important role because we have seen our house keeping boys at work they are understaffed to do all the cleaning manually and their situation will not improve because the company is tring hard to cut all unwanted expences... I completely agree with you as far as the plastic bottles are concerned.
Old 12th May 2009, 17:56   #416
Senior - BHPian

Bitten by the bug:(

Today i lost my job:( guess dont have to explain the reason(cause its obvious)

Anyways search is on, any info/leads would be very helpful

Professional Synopsis

· Experience spans across rich internet applications to web designing, and providing solutions for the print media. With exposure into the travel and tourism sector, distribution sector, healthcare and life sciences domains, I have special interest in the automobile industry from a design solutions perspective

· A creative and innovative thinker with over 8 years of experience in Graphic Designing (User Interface Design, Websites, Presentations & Print)

· Adept in handling multiple projects. Made significant contributions to the design & development of New Media Design, Interactive CD Presentations & Print

· An effective leader with proven abilities in leading & guiding teams to deliver allocated tasks within specified time, cost and quality parameters

· Good communicator with strong analytical, relationship management and organizational skills

· Adept follower of Usability principles

Previous experience

Aug 08 - May09 Program Manager

As the Offshore Program Manager, I lead a team of 30 professionals to manage the design, development and maintenance of a web-based project for a US client in the auto industry. I manage a team of programmers, designers, web developers and industry researchers.

My Responsibilities:

Client Relationship: Requirements gathering, planning & communication
Program Management: Delivery planning, execution and issue resolution, team management
Resource Management & Training: Project allocation, load balancing, analyzing skill gaps and preparing a training calendar
Process Innovation: Identifying process bottlenecks and identifying workarounds

Thanks guys

Last edited by lohithrao : 12th May 2009 at 17:59.
Old 12th May 2009, 18:07   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Today i lost my job:( guess dont have to explain the reason(cause its obvious)
Damn! Thats sad man. Hope you get another one soon. I'll check here if there is something that suits your profile.
Old 12th May 2009, 18:30   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

LR, really sad to know. Dont lose heart, you will get a better one soon. Keep the Faith
Old 12th May 2009, 20:36   #419
Senior - BHPian

LR, sorry to hear that bro. Keep the spirit high, I am sure with your experience you will get one very shortly.
Old 12th May 2009, 20:51   #420
Senior - BHPian

$hit ,that sucks lohith .
Sar was it instant or were you given any notice period ? any compensation ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks