Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 19:34   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ nice to hear that Uday. Allz well that endz well :-) Congrats and best of luck for your new job.

And what you say as points/learnings are so true.
Old 6th February 2010, 19:36   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
a) so my friends, yes i have survied the worst.

b) My support was that of my 5 month old son, each passing day I would look at him and said to myself " yes I will give him a very good life"
Learnt my lesson

2- never fell in love with your company.
3- each day learn some thing new.
4- when you feel that you have learn't every thing from the present company , just change the company.
5- talk more to your family, take them in confidence.
6- never feel shy in asking for a job even from your enemy.

I do not know about IT but I am from Oil & gas sector, and if a gap comes in the experience then no company will hire you.
I have seen, people with lesser exp are at higher level just because they know some one in the company , its gets on your nerve.
friends always remember that Belive in yourself , belive in your ablities, success will follow.

I am yet to see success but yes I am on my way.

AAL ISS WELL
uday
a) I am currently enrolled in BPO sector ( one of the reasons why I am not very active on TBHP now ) as I was not able to find a job in IT field. Tried my best, but could not. The offer that I had was with bonds. Argument was that they spend on training. My argument was that, just as there is competition between employees and people for getting promotion and job respectively, there is competition between companies for hiring good people. If your competitor pays more than you, its your problem. In an open market, you cant hold down somebody.

That is what I feel. Down south, things are different where the pay scale is higher in IT field.

b) Correct, except point 4. My father is working in IPCL since he graduated from MSU, Baroda. He is still in the same plant, and now, rather than age, respect comes in.

3) I am myself looking forward to a job in IT field, but looks like I will have to work for sometime in finance field, gain some experience and exposure.
I think that currently if you find a job, dont reject it but grab it. The market has still not recovered 100% from the recession. And Mr. Obama is hitting hard in IT field. The openings are less, so grab what comes to you, then think about going further.
Old 6th February 2010, 19:41   #498
BHPian

^^ thats great news !! Congrats and good luck with the new job :-)
Old 6th February 2010, 19:43   #499
Senior - BHPian

The thing that hit me on Head in this recession

Corporate Doesn't have a Soul - So, never Love your Company

Every Damn corporate operates for profit - If they think you are not contributing to it, you get a pink slip even if you are an outstanding perfromer for last 5 years

So, guys you too plan weel, when the market is good make full use of it by jumping jobs and payscale - You know ultimatley you too want to make some profit
Old 6th February 2010, 19:58   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post

Every Damn corporate operates for profit - If they think you are not contributing to it, you get a pink slip even if you are an outstanding perfromer for last 5 years

So, guys you too plan weel, when the market is good make full use of it by jumping jobs and payscale - You know ultimatley you too want to make some profit
Yes you are right, corporate dose not have a soul, My company was very well known as employee friendly, but now its not, for a company loseing an employee is not important. for then its just profit & loss, Only top bosses are pamppered who only make statement using excel sheet. the employee who is working at bottom level is the most hard working person, he the person who actually performs well because he is learning all the time. and he the most likely to be sacked for non perfomance.
correct me if I am wrong
I have 9 years of experience but I have seen a GET being promoted above me as he is related to some GM.
uday
Old 6th February 2010, 20:52   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
a) I am currently enrolled in BPO sector ( one of the reasons why I am not very active on TBHP now ) as I was not able to find a job in IT field. Tried my best, but could not. The offer that I had was with bonds. Argument was that they spend on training. My argument was that, just as there is competition between employees and people for getting promotion and job respectively, there is competition between companies for hiring good people. If your competitor pays more than you, its your problem. In an open market, you cant hold down somebody.

That is what I feel. Down south, things are different where the pay scale is higher in IT field.

b) Correct, except point 4. My father is working in IPCL since he graduated from MSU, Baroda. He is still in the same plant, and now, rather than age, respect comes in.

3) I am myself looking forward to a job in IT field, but looks like I will have to work for sometime in finance field, gain some experience and exposure.
I think that currently if you find a job, dont reject it but grab it. The market has still not recovered 100% from the recession. And Mr. Obama is hitting hard in IT field. The openings are less, so grab what comes to you, then think about going further.

Dear friend,

I passed out in 2001, at that time there were no jobs in the market, I am qualified java programmer but no jobs were available in the market, and did some odd jobs here and there and then entered in oil & gas sector. People do get suprised by my experience. Today we have a lot of s/w company.

even I was trying to get in BPO in 2001 as this was the only sector which was blooming, but was always rejected as they do not hire an electronic engg.
Since your are and IT engg, first get any job in s/w company, if you stick with BPO then you are stuck for life.

always remember NEVER get in to confort zone in any company, if you are confortable then you may never try.
success is always achived by getting out of confort zone and making that extream effort in getting a job and that too putting great effort in learning all the time.

I was confortable in my previous company, and when I was layed off then I really made all the effort to learn all the fine details of the Oil & Gas sector.

uday
Old 7th February 2010, 11:57   #502
BHPian

Guys,
need info, has the markets improved? As per my info companys are testing waters and are very choosey in selecting candidate. many of my friends have being interviewed but not selected. Even I have been to various companes, but no luck. ( I am from oil & gas sector and not from IT )

uday
Old 7th February 2010, 12:46   #503
BHPian

@ udaydesai

Congrats on getting a new job dude.

What you've mentioned on your previous posts about the downside of being loyal to your company is absolutely true. No matter what you've contributed to the project for years, if "that" moment comes, you are just another resource to be directed to the Exit gate.

I'm glad that your new job keeps you going.
Old 7th February 2010, 22:17   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post

Well, the point which hit my head this recession is
- never be in bad terms with your bosses (read it as, never try to point out anything wrong)
- dont try to be on the right side always
- learn how to save your soul (and your 'you know wht') when the need be
- keep your eyes & ears open all the time
- In addition to learning/skill honing, focus on building networks (formal & informal) within & in the industry
- learn to be smart
Old 25th March 2011, 15:27   #505
BHPian

Re: Effect of Recession on our Jobs

Just saw this news. Not sure how far it is true

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...-staff/429744/

Wipro puts the heat on non-billable staff

Asks employees to work without delay on project of its choice or leave; says can’t afford more refusal/reluctance.
Wipro, the country’s third-largest information technology (IT) services company, is asking non-billable employees unwilling to work on any project they have been assigned to leave immediately. Non-billable employees, or employees on the bench, are those with no assigned project work.

The policy, said to be a part of the company’s efforts to contain its rapidly dropping numbers of billable headcount, has created widespread discontent among the staff. So far, employees have the freedom to decide the project they want to work on.

In an internal circular to the human resources department, Executive Vice-President and Chief Global Delivery Officer Sambuddha Deb said the company was finding employees on the bench assigned different projects were declining to take up assignments, citing various factors, including constraints in changing locations

“We have gone way past the stage when we can afford to tolerate this. With immediate effect, the company policy is as follows – any person who refuses to take up an assignment would be asked to move out of the organisation immediately,” he said.
Usually, when a non-billable employee is asked to work on a particular project, he takes the final call on joining the project, based on various factors like skill sets, domain expertise, new skills one can learn by working on the project and location.
“It is really unilateral to force someone to work from any location and work on any project, which does not have any future. Many people have been asked to change their locations, leaving behind their family, as they can’t relocate them immediately. Many of them own houses at one location and even their children are in the middle of the academic year,” said a middle-level manager on condition of anonymity.
According to the new norms, neither employees nor delivery managers and project managers can turn down joining a project, if their profiles match the requirements. This could only be done by the clients concerned, if they find someone unsuitable for the project. In case of any violation, the respective delivery managers and project managers are being taken to task, according to an employee.
It is also learnt that 250-300 senior level employees, above the rank of delivery managers, have been identified by the company for retrenchment, as many such positions have been done away with. In the recent restructuring exercise, the company merged many verticals and horizontals to create newer ones. Wipro wished not to issue any comment on these developments.
Wipro had a higher number of non-billable resources in the December quarter, compared to the past couple of quarters. During the quarter, the gross utilisation rate, including support and trainees, fell to 68.6 per cent from 70.9 per cent in the previous quarter and 73.2 per cent in the year-ago quarter.
The number of active clients also dropped to 880 from 890 in the previous quarter. Utilisation rate and new client additions are expected to drop further in this quarter, as the company has not been able to add many clients, according to analysts and industry experts.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:46   #506
BHPian

I hear layoffs have become routine in recent weeks in almost all top notch software Product cos here in Bangalore.

Bad winds blowing from West.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:56   #507
BHPian

I do not know about IT , I am from oil and gas, and this sector is booming, I did change my job two months ago and I am back to higher level now. Had to suffer during recession.
Old 21st September 2011, 09:16   #508
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Sensex as of yesterday looks good. Is there a recession on its way in India?
We should be able to survive it given our controlled consumerism and aggressive saving habits.
Time will tell I guess!
Old 25th October 2011, 13:20   #509
Oxy
BHPian

Guys, hold on to your jobs for now. Looks like recession is coming in.

One of my ex-colleagues quit my company three months ago and joined another software firm. Now he has been asked to leave from there on a month's notice.

Can anyone help him? He has a PMO profile, 5 yrs of experience.
Old 7th December 2011, 14:59   #510
BHPian

Heard McAfee Bangalore laid off employees yesterday.
If a security company is affected, recession must be in full force.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks