Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 22:39   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
As of now, no plans of working elsewhere...Been running too much and I need a good 2 months break and then I have too many personal projects which I left midway to complete That should keep me occupied for the next 6-8 months or so.
Thats good,Sir. Use your free time to catch up on stuff you've missed out out. I did that to an extent,when I was between jobs.Had 4 months at home,and enjoyed every bit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Thanks a lot Nitin. In fact, I appeared for another interview yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed now.
Not bad at all! Way to go. I'm sure something good will click soon.Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
If given an option, I'd be happy to take this offer. There had been so many things which I would have loved to do, but couldn't due to my job. I would treat this as an opportunity for skills upgrade, and to live my life the way I want to for some time :-)

\N
I totally agree with you.Its probably the only time you get to work (at a relaxed pace), and use the chance to fill up on other activities.Definitely the best time to learn something new(either on the professional front, or the personal one) if one can afford it.
Old 17th April 2009, 23:27   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
If given an option, I'd be happy to take this offer. There had been so many things which I would have loved to do, but couldn't due to my job. I would treat this as an opportunity for skills upgrade, and to live my life the way I want to for some time :-)

\N
we had a consultant who never agreed to work more than 3 days a week. he used to play in a band rest of the days. we used to envy him.

but he did not have 3 dependents and he had social security.
Old 18th April 2009, 00:48   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
we had a consultant who never agreed to work more than 3 days a week. he used to play in a band rest of the days. we used to envy him.

but he did not have 3 dependents and he had social security.
makes all the difference, eh? No dependents, and the ability to claim unemployment(if something were to happen).
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:30   #394
Senior - BHPian

There was a time when my company flew my entire team of 30+ folks from Pune to Bangalore and back (on a Kingfisher flight, no less !!), for a 2 day outbound learning program at some Pegasus institute. We had some fun and games.. which we promptly forgot once we came back to work.

With hindsight, I really wonder why companies indulge in such wasteful expenditure and then fire the same people they trained a few months ago!! In the current economic climate, I hope the first to get the chop will be such wasteful "training".
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:58   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
.. which we promptly forgot once we came back to work.
thats the best part of any training program , isnt it ?
Old 24th April 2009, 22:56   #396
Senior - BHPian

Checked in with a bunch of friends in the bigger IT co's , and all of them seem to be forcing folks to transfer to their BPO wings or go home. same story with Accenture, TCS and even Infosys. And their HR departments all seem to have been staffed with controlled freaks, with the weirdest policies being laid out.

Reminds me of dogbert complaining about the recession.
"Being evil used to mean something...

These days I can cut salaries by 10% and people will start thanking me for not firing them".

I guess now's the time to be one of those in charge of making policies. you can make employees bring their own toilet paper if it means savings to your organization. I pity those employees - and myself. I too might be in the same shoes soon enough

Last edited by greenhorn : 24th April 2009 at 22:58.
Old 25th April 2009, 02:21   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Checked in with a bunch of friends in the bigger IT co's , and all of them seem to be forcing folks to transfer to their BPO wings or go home. same story with Accenture, TCS and even Infosys. And their HR departments all seem to have been staffed with controlled freaks, with the weirdest policies being laid out.
I guess too many stories are floating around thanks to the recession. I know that contracts are not being extended and poor performers and ppl on bench for long are being asked to tighten their belts and take up whatever comes their way but as far as I know no one is being forced to get transferred to BPO wings in atleast one of the companies of the 3 you have mentioned. , It even paid almost 100% of the performance bonus in these hard times. I think stories are being concocted and not all can be believed.
Old 25th April 2009, 10:00   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
There was a time when my company flew my entire team of 30+ folks from Pune to Bangalore and back (on a Kingfisher flight, no less !!), for a 2 day outbound learning program at some Pegasus institute. We had some fun and games.. which we promptly forgot once we came back to work.

With hindsight, I really wonder why companies indulge in such wasteful expenditure and then fire the same people they trained a few months ago!! In the current economic climate, I hope the first to get the chop will be such wasteful "training".
Talk about that!
In my relatives team everyone was given gift vouchers for performance and timely quality deliveries. The same month their seats were empty.
Don't they have forcasters ?
Old 25th April 2009, 11:19   #399
Senior - BHPian

Look at it this ways. Assuming the unfortunate job loss was inevitable, atleast they got some vouchers!
Old 25th April 2009, 13:03   #400
BHPian

I am responsible for a small but ongoing project in one of the Indian IT majors and client being a telco operator.
My team size was 5 persons with average actual effort being 6-7 person hours daily per team member before recession.
Recession has sent 2 members home .
Work load being same, the existing team with 3 members has to work very hard to keep up previous response times.
Earlier I used to spend about 8-9 hours in office while actually working for about 7-8 hours.
Now, I had to actually work on an average of 10hrs and spend about 11-12 hours in office(some times more).
Though my ratings ensure that I will not be fired, the work load is taking a heavy toll on health and personal commitments.
I am finding it hard to balance work and personal life.
If not for my dependants I would have quit the job and would have searched for a better balanced work even if in a smaller company.
Is it only the services sector or even the product/manufacturing firm environment too is like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I work for one of the Indian IT majors and just received notification of flat 50% cut on salary. Need to work only 10 days a month.

Compared to many thousands who lost their jobs, I'd consider myself lucky that I get to keep the job even though at 50% reduced salary.
I wish my company too provides such an option,atleast for those who can't bear the increased work load.

Last edited by deetee : 25th April 2009 at 13:11.
Old 25th April 2009, 13:59   #401
Senior - BHPian

@deetee, good times will come mate. Hang in there!
Old 27th April 2009, 16:45   #402
Senior - BHPian

Just read this on Yahoo. I guess this is not the end of bad things for IT sector :(

IT sector may layoff over 1 lakh by Sept
Old 8th May 2009, 00:02   #403
Senior - BHPian

a friend of mine ( a mech guy) who quit his call centre job to pursue his dream of working in his own mech field , and finally landed a job as some sort of trainee in a mahindra and mahindra plant. Guy worked there for almost a year, and was laid off just before completing it. when the plants were stopped.

His next stint turned out to be ..... At satyam , where he worked in engineering services for a Truck manufacturer. That was before the fiasco hit. He was just about getting his act together after the satyam debacle , when appparently he's been laid off after the takeover by Tech M .

Just found this out yesterday. He was pretty angry, I mean, How would you take to having your life ruined by what is , essentially the same management, twice?

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th May 2009 at 00:06.
Old 8th May 2009, 00:34   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

Just found this out yesterday. He was pretty angry, I mean, How would you take to having your life ruined by what is , essentially the same management, twice?
Satyanarain ka pooja karne ko bol, if he's catholic he should go to Mount Mary Bandra, if he's a punju, he should go to the golden temple & do minimum of five days seva.

Post that, may be if a good astrologer........................................ .......
join the gang dude, its not only him at a junior level many have been sacrificed at a higher level as well, people with home loans, car loans and personal loans all together.

Regards
M
Old 8th May 2009, 01:05   #405
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Uncertainty kills! You can't make any long-term financial commitment.

All I can say is IT is not the only sector affected. and the worst's still to come :(
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks