Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 20:57   #421
BHPian

LR: sorry to hear that buddy. send me a copy of your CV to narayanang76@yahoo.com will try in my known circles

where were you working before, BTW?

Dont lose hope this is only a temp mess, will come out soon.

Regards,
Old 12th May 2009, 21:14   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Today i lost my job:( guess dont have to explain the reason(cause its obvious)
For once, I am a loss for words. Sorry mate. It hurts, it hurts us all when someone we know gets a hit.

Knowing you, your spirit and positive attitude (as seen here on TBHP) it should not take too much time for you to be on track again.

Cheers & Chin up,
Old 12th May 2009, 21:19   #423
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton guys appreciate it...

Pervez, thanks bro

extreme_...thats encouraging

black12r, yea was give 2 months basic...

narayan_thanks will send it across

Ravendra thanks a ton.

With all these encouraging words definitely my +ve energy wont go down....

Last edited by lohithrao : 12th May 2009 at 21:22.
Old 12th May 2009, 21:31   #424
BHPian

lohithrao - sorry to hear about your job. But do keep up your positivity and do not lose hope. Take a break and figure out what you want to do rather than rush into the next job that is available. Understood there are bills to pay - take care of that but also do figure out what is core for you. If you have the funds the recession is the best time to start soemthing of your own. Am not aware of any openings as of now but will let you know if I hear of any.
Old 13th May 2009, 00:46   #425
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about it Lohith, don't lose heart, you will get through this.
Old 13th May 2009, 01:19   #426
BHPian

Hang in there Lohith.
I can truly understand what you must be going thru. Just finished my first week without a job (first in my career). (Lohith and Mohit - coincidence isn't it!)

Am seriously looking to take a small break- Study a bit, enjoy a bit of hiking when the weather is not so hot and look for something interesting to do.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:03   #427
Team-BHP Support

This is what shrinks have to say: Why Layoffs Hit IT Professionals So Hard | CIO - Blogs and Discussion
Old 13th May 2009, 12:43   #428
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No go. Get this "Access denied due to security policy violation"
Old 13th May 2009, 12:46   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No go. Get this "Access denied due to security policy violation"
Hmm your office guys dont want you to read this

Anyways here's the complete article

Quote:
Source

Why Layoffs Hit IT Professionals So Hard

Posted by: Meridith Levinson in Best Practices
Topic: Personal Management

Blog: Career Connection

Current Rating: 5 Comments: 3

Sure, IT jobs are difficult to find. But making matters worse, many IT professionals lack the personality traits that make career change easier, even exciting, for others.

Are you an ISTJ? That's Myers-Briggs-speak for Introverted Sensing Thinking and Judging. The ISTJ personality refers to individuals who like timelines and closure, who are goal- and deadline-oriented, who enjoy collecting and analyzing data, who think systematically, and who make decisions based on what has worked in the past, says Sherrie Haynie, an organizational consultant with CPP Inc., an HR consultancy and the exclusive publisher of the Myers-Briggs personality type indicator assessment. (Haynie analyzes the results of Myers-Briggs assessments and facilitates professional development sessions with Fortune 500 clients.)

ISTJs tend to discount intuition in favor of facts. They're uncomfortable with ambiguity and risk.

As a result, says Haynie, ISTJs don't handle change very well, which makes coping with job loss more difficult for them than for, say, INTPs (Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving) and ENFPs (Extroverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving), who thrive off of change and risk-taking. (I'm an ENFJ (Extroverted Intuitive Feeling Judging) or INFJ (Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging), depending on whether I'm feeling gregarious or moody.)

If you work in an IT job, then you're probably an ISTJ. Haynie says approximately 60 percent of technology professionals who've taken a Myers-Briggs assessment with CPP are ISTJs. Only 35 percent possess the INTP's intuitive nature.

Another characteristic of ISTJs is black-or-white thinking. "We find that technology folks are more set in their ways when it comes to what's right and wrong and what won't work based on the past," says Haynie.

Because IT professionals who are ISTJs are so set in their knowledge, she adds, they think they have all the answers, and they consider themselves authorities and experts. But that attitude—and the black-and-white thinking—make moving into a new company, new industry or new career hard for them, says Haynie.

"Change, generally speaking, is an area that may be very difficult for this group of people," she says. "When they find themselves in a new role or in another industry, they have nothing to benchmark it against."

In a new environment, ISTJs can't always rely on what worked in the past. The thought-process that made them successful in prior roles may not apply in their new roles. They have to learn new skills that may not feel natural to them, such as actively soliciting feedback and opinions from others, says Haynie.

"Putting their expertise aside and getting input from others is challenging for them," she says. "Letting go of their authority and letting others into their decision-making process may be uncomfortable."

It's ironic that change tends to be so difficult for IT professionals, since technology is so mercurial. Also ironic: A common career move that IT professionals make—to become independent IT consultants or contractors not suited to the ISTJ personality. Making the transition to the largely unstructured professional life of an independent consultant requires ISTJ people to take a big step outside their comfort zones and learn new skills and traits that they'll need to be successful as entrepreneurs, says Haynie.

"They need to be flexible, to see the big picture, to be able to communicate and negotiate with customers, and that may be difficult for people who've been in the same career or same industry for much of their working life," she says. "If you have a full-time job and you know what's expected of you, you don't have to be as much of a risk-taker. But as a new business owner, you'll have to take risks and deal with ambiguity."

With career experts advising job seekers to expand their searches to new industries in order to more quickly land a job in this market, many unemployed IT professionals will have to overcome personality traits (like the need to be the expert) that might hamper their ability to succeed in a new job.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:49   #430
BHPian

Restructuring..

Though we had some force reduction in our company (Large MNC in system/Security area). We also have new openings in the QA area. If you are looking for a position in Pune and have QA background , specially in system area send me PM and I will route it to our recruiters.

Take care folks
Old 13th May 2009, 15:26   #431
Senior - BHPian

Lohith and Mohit: Sorry to hear about the situation! Hope you guys get a wonderful break soon.

My prayers are with you both.
Old 13th May 2009, 15:35   #432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you an ISTJ? That's Myers-Briggs-speak for Introverted Sensing Thinking and Judging. The ISTJ personality refers to individuals who like timelines and closure, who are goal- and deadline-oriented, who enjoy collecting and analyzing data, who think systematically, and who make decisions based on what has worked in the past, says Sherrie Haynie, an organizational consultant with CPP Inc., an HR consultancy and the exclusive publisher of the Myers-Briggs personality type indicator assessment. (Haynie analyzes the results of Myers-Briggs assessments and facilitates professional development sessions with Fortune 500 clients.)
This is ME in the office.

On my bike (or car these days), I am the exact opposite.
Just read my last travelogue of venturing into a road I had no idea even existed.

I wonder what the shrinks will make of me.

Education ruined all of us.
If only we had dropped out of school, we would have been driving trucks and doing the thing we love, driving.

My prayers with all the guys who have been hit by this recession.
Old 13th May 2009, 16:20   #433
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the inspiring words/prayers, helps a lot.

Mohit yes its a coincident, we both are "Hit" by the recession( PJ hehehe)
Old 13th May 2009, 16:23   #434
BHPian

Lohith and Mohit sorry to hear about your situation man. Just hang in there, I bet there'll be some good news coming in your way shorthly!!!
Old 13th May 2009, 17:51   #435
BHPian

Lol yeah - no escaping the "Hit"!

Thanks a lot for the positive words guys. Helps one keep thinking straight.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks