Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 17:59   #976
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecker View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Downloaded the Kindle version.
After two days and 8 hours reading still at 45% of the book.
And I continue to smoke. Seems this may work, BUT waiting till I finish the book and at least 3 months of smoke free period before declaring anything more.

Reading the Book brought some headache at some point when I would miss the message and have to re-read the page and endure his repetition, which of course he did explain in the book why he does that.
How are you doing now? I would guarantee you that you will quit after reading the book.. Now thats a good incentive to finish reading faster
Old 26th July 2012, 19:14   #977
NMS
BHPian

Avoiding the First smoke in the Morning can be a Key for a lot of People, Just those 10 minutes avoided can keep you going for almost half a day without wanting one.. It worked for me (for quite some time till I started again :S )
Old 31st July 2012, 11:01   #978
BHPian

How do you deal with anger/irritability?

I fought with a friend for no fault of hers. I know its not like me to fight with anyone but since I quit I've been on a short fuse. I feel bad later but when I am being rude to people, it feels good at that moment.

This quit might cost me a few friends.
Old 31st July 2012, 13:14   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

No answer really, apart from explaining to your friends and colleagues what's going on, asking for patience, and telling them it shouldn't last more than a week or two. And that you are working hard on not smoking and on not being irritable.

Turn it to your advantage, and use that effort to take your mind off smoking!

Take extra care when driving --- or you might loose more than friends.
Old 31st July 2012, 13:41   #980
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
How do you deal with anger/irritability?

I fought with a friend for no fault of hers. I know its not like me to fight with anyone but since I quit I've been on a short fuse. I feel bad later but when I am being rude to people, it feels good at that moment.

This quit might cost me a few friends.
Not smoking might be causing your blood sugar to take a dip. Try and plan your meals. Have apples for a mid day snack.
Old 1st August 2012, 07:27   #981
BHPian

I followed your advice. I told my 'close' friends about the situation. Unfortunately or fortunately, none of them have smoked but I do hope they do get what am saying.

I survived a couple of hours in the smoking room with a few friends who were puffing away to glory last night. Although, it does not count much, I'd still like to believe in itself it was a test.

I do take extra care when driving. I do abuse but with windows rolled up and ofcourse with no eye contact so I guess I'll keep getting away like that.

I am not thinking about smoking as much as thought I would. Although keeping my guard up because I know that craving is around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No answer really, apart from explaining to your friends and colleagues what's going on, asking for patience, and telling them it shouldn't last more than a week or two. And that you are working hard on not smoking and on not being irritable.

Turn it to your advantage, and use that effort to take your mind off smoking!

Take extra care when driving --- or you might loose more than friends.

Thanks bblost. Oh yes, you're absolutely correct. The blood sugar issues made driving in bumper to bumper traffic a little difficult. But for the initial days, acidic juice (grape) helped a lot apart from cold water and yoga.

Still trying to get the 'balance' back into my meals, I am eating irregularly and heavily as of now. Thanks will bring fruits as a snack between meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Not smoking might be causing your blood sugar to take a dip. Try and plan your meals. Have apples for a mid day snack.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 1st August 2012 at 07:28.
Old 1st August 2012, 16:58   #982
BHPian

It's been 6 calendar months since I have been tobacco-free! After having smoked for nearly 22 years, am as surprised as my near and dear that I haven't fallen off the wagon. Thankfully haven't lost any friends or have rubbed off people so badly, but have gained a lot. Stamina, appetite, sense of smell, no smoker's cough, no extended periods of cold and of course, gained a lot of weight! Started working on shedding the extra weight - In my 3rd week of Couchto5K and planning to cycle to work a few days of the week (thanks bblost!).
Old 1st August 2012, 17:09   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I survived a couple of hours in the smoking room with a few friends who were puffing away to glory last night.
If you can, please avoid doing this. It is a test, but it also a way to get an illicit dose of nicotine! Second-hand smoke is almost as bad for your health as first-hand smoke anyway.

When I was giving up, my attitude to other smokers began with taking an illicit gasp of that sweet nicotine and then veered to an almost irrational fury that smokers inflict their smoke on others --- as I had been doing too, just a few weeks before!
Old 9th August 2012, 21:18   #984
Team-BHP Support

I'm counting the cigarettes left in my B&H twenty's. I've got eight. And as I write this, I've made up my mind to stop smoking the moment I'm done with the last cigarette.

The last few days have been tough. I was down with a cold that slowly subsided and mysteriously turned into a cough and subsequently, a fully blown throat infection. I find it hard to breathe. My chest and throat hurts when I cough. I felt like my wind-pipe was closing up when I smoked my 3rd cigarette today.

I need to stop. And I will. Or at least, I will try.
Old 9th August 2012, 21:51   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My chest and throat hurts when I cough. I felt like my wind-pipe was closing up when I smoked my 3rd cigarette today.

I need to stop. And I will. Or at least, I will try.
Sir good decision if you are planning to quit. But if the problem is that bad, why not show it to a physician? Just a thought - whatever health issue you are undergoing is not always because of cigarette. Sometimes cigarette just contributes to it but the cause might be something else!
Old 9th August 2012, 22:26   #986

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm counting the cigarettes left in my B&H twenty's. I've got eight. And as I write this, I've made up my mind to stop smoking the moment I'm done with the last cigarette..
The best method to quit is to "just do it" , Planning NEVER helps , "i will taper out my smoking" , "i will quit on new year" , "i will quit after this pack". Trust me an "Addiction" is extremely creative and it will make you come up with some wacky reasons to stop you from stopping , My addiction was so creative that it was able to convince me to postpone my quitting until i finish writing a software for quitting LOL (ya will tell you what that software did , some other day). Finally what worked for me after 10 years if smoking is to simply throw away my pack outside Holiday inn in New jersy in Dec 2009 , No mercy, No Planning (was trying to quit for 5 years before that ). After that , the first 7 months everytime i felt the craving and got creative i used to say to myself "your adddiction is trying to fool you, dont fall for it". Good Luck with your adventure and Believe me if you are able to do it , the sense of achievement is like none other.
Old 9th August 2012, 22:46   #987
Team-BHP Support

@suhaas307

Read the post by adithyakani and don't ever forget it.
Old 9th August 2012, 23:08   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Suhaas...true dat!

I will quit after this first cigarette

I will quit after first year exams

---> I will quit after final exams

I will quit when I start working. Offices are air conditioned anyway and it's a loss of productivity.

I will quit after my next promotion. Bosses don't like smokers.

I will quit when I meet the right girl, even if she doesn't mind me smoking.

I met the right girl and she does mind me smoking, so I will quit after we are married.

I will quit since we are trying to have a child and smoking affects fertility.

I will quit now that I am a father.

I don't smoke that much anyway. At home only at parties. That too on the balcony. And never in front of my children. So I will quit, someday.

Will quit. Promise.

I will! Don't look so digusted.

i don't need your pity OK? I will quit.

I'm telling you. Let the new year come. It's on top of my resolution list. along with drinking less and losing weight.

I'm getting chest pains. A friend of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer. my doctor says I should quit smoking.

Is 5 cigarettes a day bad you think? I think the threshold for "regular" smoker is 10/day. am glad I'm not addicted. I can quit anytime.

No really, I can. I once quit for 6 months. I can do it again.

Not NOW. But soon.

Just you wait.
Old 9th August 2012, 23:55   #989
Senior - BHPian

I do not smoke but have my fair share of "habits".
Off late this has been useful in keeping me away from my habits:

The answer to this Question:

"And what good is going to come out of that?"
Old 10th August 2012, 00:08   #990
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Sir good decision if you are planning to quit. But if the problem is that bad, why not show it to a physician? Just a thought - whatever health issue you are undergoing is not always because of cigarette. Sometimes cigarette just contributes to it but the cause might be something else!
Please don't 'Sir' me. Call me Suhaas.

I suffer from asthma. It's hereditary. Cold beverages, pollen, closed rooms and smoke aggravate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyakini View Post
The best method to quit is to "just do it" , Planning NEVER helps ,
I've heard of this too, and it's definitely the best way to do it. I never felt the need to quit. I rather enjoyed my cancer-sticks. I do know it's bad. But before I could do anything about it, it turned into an addiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@suhaas307

Read the post by adithyakani and don't ever forget it.
+1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Suhaas...true dat!

I will quit after this first cigarette..

..Not NOW. But soon.

Just you wait.
Never missed the 'thanks' button this much.

Can't wait for the IT guys to whip up a new interface - one that doesn't count the 'thanks' - while I pull onto my 6th.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th August 2012 at 00:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks