Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 20:50   #1126
BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Recently a renowned Pulmonologist was unpleasantly surprised to see the scan report of one of her patient which confirmed and advanced stage of lung cancer. What perturbed her more was not the disease but the fact that her patient was a house wife and non-smoker. On enquiry she learnt that her husband was a chain-smoker.

Source: Collabration Platform in my organization.
Old 4th May 2013, 08:58   #1127
Distinguished - BHPian

Iam not a heavy smoker. I smoke about 3-5 ciggarettes a day. Some days my count is just 2 per day which is usually after lunch/dinner

Now in my quest to reduce/quit, I have decided to smoke only once or twice a week when I party

Found success in this new quest from last one week where i havent smoked at all during regular days. Though the urge is strong after a meal

Eventually, will get out of this routine too and hope to be smoke free soon.
Old 4th May 2013, 09:56   #1128
Distinguished - BHPian

Mobike you are following "the pattern". Ask any quit smoker and he work tell you something similar about how he eventually quit. Good luck and let me know how I can help!
Old 4th May 2013, 16:33   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Mobike you are following "the pattern". Ask any quit smoker and he work tell you something similar about how he eventually quit. Good luck and let me know how I can help!
Don't agree because more than half smokers quit cold turkey.
Old 4th May 2013, 17:00   #1130
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, ask any smoker how they found the cutting down method, and you'll find out that ...they are still a smoker.

It takes a lot of effort to cut down substantially, and just a little more to stop altogether. It seems, at the time, like an infinite amount more (that's addiction for you, fighting to keep its foothold in your brain) but it isn't. Unfortunately, one only knows that afterwards

So the answer is, well done so far, but don't 'try,' don't 'hope,' because that stuff doesn't work, nicotine is always stronger. Just do it.
Old 4th May 2013, 23:50   #1131
Senior - BHPian

I picked up smoking in very early years and at one point in time I was even up to 2 packs a day :/ it severely affected my performance in sports to the extent that my football coach eventually had me kicked off the main team in my school and for months I found it hard to get back. I even found that I got tired really quickly doing stuff with girls I used to date. This immediately led me to reduce to about 3-5 a day.
Now, if I have been busy for a month with exams etc, and not exercised much, I quit for a month's time when I am free again to bring myself back to a physically sound state to restore my lung capacity and stamina. In months that I have to do extensive training for cycling, football or swimming, I restrict myself to 8 smokes a week only on Friday and Saturday. This has worked so far
Physical exercise rids any hormonal imbalances and gives you more focus and determination allowing you to make decisions on how much to give in to your addictions.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th May 2013 at 23:55.
Old 5th May 2013, 00:27   #1132
Distinguished - BHPian

That 8 a week is probably enough to make sure that your body doesn't recover. Honestly, I think this has to be a zero-tolerance thing
Old 10th May 2013, 08:39   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I picked up smoking in very early years and at one point in time I was even up to 2 packs a day :/ it severely affected my performance in sports to the extent that my football coach eventually had me kicked off the main team in my school and for months I found it hard to get back. I even found that I got tired really quickly doing stuff with girls I used to date. This immediately led me to reduce to about 3-5 a day.
Now, if I have been busy for a month with exams etc, and not exercised much, I quit for a month's time when I am free again to bring myself back to a physically sound state to restore my lung capacity and stamina. In months that I have to do extensive training for cycling, football or swimming, I restrict myself to 8 smokes a week only on Friday and Saturday. This has worked so far
Physical exercise rids any hormonal imbalances and gives you more focus and determination allowing you to make decisions on how much to give in to your addictions.
I started occasional smoking when I was in class 8. As in tasted my few smokes over the next few years. Engineering was more like 1-2 a day. Work was 3-4 and after 10 yrs of working now I was at 7-10 a day. I was starting to get worried.

I have quit recently. Been a month and not even a smoke. I have been in all testing situation like parties where everyone else is smoking or at work where your colleague is smoking.

This is how I justified my motivation: I run a start up and really find it difficult to hire people and especially been looking for a partner to share the load. My work efficiently increase at least 70-80% after I quit. More focused more fresh etc etc. so I told my self I can solve my people problem by getting a 'another me' if I quit smoking. May sound silly to some but it worked for me. At least so far. I have occasional and big urges to smoke and so far I have been controlling my self.

Btw interesting you made: exercising does it really help quit? I was working out about a month back when I quit and now since I have not worked in a weeks time I feel that the temptations are high?
Old 10th May 2013, 12:11   #1134
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Eventually, will get out of this routine too and hope to be smoke free soon.
My two cents, For now just Quit completely !! Atleast for 6 months. Say no to smokes while partying as well. From personal experience, I have had times when I came down to 1 a day, and lesser, however I would always find excuses to have that extra smoke. So this time I decided to stop it.

One of my friends who has been a non-smoker for 8 years now, tells me that it takes a mere 21 days to break a habit. Dont know how true it is, but no harm in trying !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Actually, ask any smoker how they found the cutting down method, and you'll find out that ...they are still a smoker.
Agree a 100% have experienced this myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
My God! I didn't know it went That Far But yes It definitely adds to your will power. One of the major reasons I decided to quit smoking was because one of the guys (who I play squash with) was beating me regularly, and only because I was running out of breath. And post quitting there has been a noticeable difference. Heck !! I now feel good climbing 8-9 floors using stairs. I am using such events to keep me motivated and away from smoking
Old 10th May 2013, 13:15   #1135
AVR
BHPian

So this is the second week since I went clean. Cold turkey working so far. The urge to smoke is gone. To test myself I tried one the night before but it tasted awful and had to throw it after a few drags. Now I wonder what was I having all this time. Glad to be keeping away. So far so good.
Cheers,
Adi
Old 10th May 2013, 14:27   #1136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
My two cents, For now just Quit completely !! Atleast for 6 months. Say no to smokes while partying as well.
Thanks for the encouragement. I have always felt that i smoke less so why should i quit? Atleast iam coming above that level of thinking by smoking on occasions. Will give the full quit try in near future

Last Week Smoke Report :-

Saturday : 3 Ciggs
Sunday : 0
Monday : 0
Tuesday : 0
Wednesday : 3 Ciggs ( At night within 3 hours time span)
Thursday : 0
Friday : 0 till now

Total Ciggs in last 7 days : 6 Ciggs
Old 10th May 2013, 15:31   #1137
Senior - BHPian

@AVR, why did you try it out? I would not suggest that, it is too risky.
Old 10th May 2013, 18:34   #1138
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
@AVR, why did you try it out? I would not suggest that, it is too risky.
Was just trying to convince myself that its an addiction and not about taste. It helped actually.
Old 11th May 2013, 13:33   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I have always felt that i smoke less so why should i quit? Atleast iam coming above that level of thinking by smoking on occasions. Will give the full quit try in near future.............................
Sorry for being rude? unpleasant? truthful? practical?

Till your report reads:

Last Week Smoke Report :-

Saturday : 0 Ciggs
Sunday : 0
Monday : 0
Tuesday : 0
Wednesday : 0 Ciggs ( At night within 3 hours time span)
Thursday : 0
Friday : 0 till now

Total Ciggs in last 7 days : 0 Ciggs

don't even bother to post here. It does no help the cause and encourages slippages. Being "clean" for more than 27 years, I know what I am talking about. And a single aberration (a departure from what is normal, usual, or expected, typically one that is unwelcome) can lead one to starting again, even after years.
Lets see when such a report comes up. It will make you feel better for sure. Check with your family

Cheers and don't give up (trying), do stop, harit

Last edited by harit : 11th May 2013 at 13:35.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:44   #1140
BHPian

Guys, today i complete 2 years of smoke free life.

Your Quit Date is: Friday, May 27, 2011 at 9:00:00 PM
Test Time Smoke-Free: 730 days, 8 hours, 2 minutes and 46 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 2191
Lifetime Saved: 16 days, 17 hours
Money Saved: $383.78

Most Viewed