Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 18:50   #1036
BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Guys,

It has been more than 2 months without the cancer stick and life has never been this better. Better sense of taste & smell, feeling my stamina (lung capacity) increasing while playing badminton, the stress levels have gone down considerably and I am no more jittery & restless as I used when I used to miss my sutta breaks.

The best part is no more mentos/happy dent and deo's before going home and no constant fear of wifey smelling the smoke tainted smell of the clothes and hands

My appetite has improved and I have gained weight due to the hogging during parties. Planning to hit the gym & start swimming starting October.

One more thing what I wanted to mention is that having flavored black tea has helped me curb the desire to smoke.
Old 22nd September 2012, 16:27   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a post which is mean for those who seriously want to quit smoking, whether they have already tried and failed or not even bothered to try.
As we all know, smoking is bad and if one did get into it, it is advisable to quit after some time, specially when one gets married, has kids etc.
As for me, been there, done that and quit! About 24 years ago! I want to share how I did it.
When I was puffing a fag, our cool lingo at that time, it was very cool and enjoyable. I really enjoyed my 'fags' Marlbolo toasted tobacco. In fact in college and a few years thereafter, I was a cool dude 6ft tall, long hair and had my green Amby. Cars were few in college in those days, I was just lucky in that none at home drove the car and I could sneak it to college. Today there may be parking issues in colleges.
Back to the subject. When I finally decided to stop, it still took me almost 1 year to do something concrete. I decided one day, with inspiration from nowhere, that the crux of the problem is not to light up the first cigi of the day. This was easily concluded, but could not be done, so I deferred the first cigi to 5.30PM. I was working in our factory and 5.30 was closing time, so I would be faster than the workers and go up to my room to light up after 5.30PM. Then, till I went to bed, I may have had even 20 pcs, but next day none till 5.30PM. By this method, I managed to learn to control the urge, and still know in the back of my mind that I can do it after 5.30. I did this for 3 months, then one day decided to stop completely.
When I stopped, it was a Sunday and I went home in the evening. I had my last cigi's at 11PM on Saturday, not even my brand, went to the terrace and destroyed the 2/3sticks in my pocket. And uttered, 'so God help me". I managed to abstain that Sunday, so day 1 was over. Then I told everyone that I have stopped. Ofcourse no one believed, clothes were still smelly but I was sure. And for 1 week I did not go to the factory, I sat at home, went to office with dad as I could never smoke near him. So that was added pressure. But most important was to tell everybody, so that if you started again you could be considered as a Eunach, no strenght to withstand. After only 3 days our representative was in town, we went to have dinner with beers. First thing I told him that I had stopped smoking, when he lit up he offered one to me as a test. I passed that test. Just like AA, one day at a time, I took one day at a time for a week, then decided to be clean for one month and after a month just stopped counting. So here I am, not smoked for 24 years.
There are 4 effects one notices after some time.
First, you get to smell cleaner air. It does make a difference.
Then you suddenly have some more money at your disposal, a daily expense has been cut.
But, the power of the cigi is also very strong. After a few days, it started coming in my dreams, and in the dream one cigi is lit and you awake just like when having a nightmare, and the first thought is " Oh s***, now I have to start from all over again. This is a nightmare just like one dreams of being involved in an accident, or whatever. This nightmare does reoccur a number of times, but decreases. The last one I had was after 5 years or so.
Lastly, you will see that your cough or spitting of mucus from lungs increases and then gradually tapers off. This is because when you start to smoke, a mucus is formed in your lungs. This is now not required, the body has to readjust. If you see your chest X-ray, as I saw in the presense of my mom, doctor clearly explained dark the shaddow on the lungs.

I went through all the posts on this thread before writing. I am glad that some have kicked the habit, in their own way. But a word of caution to those who want someone to give up, please do not nag them. No amount of pressure will do. It has to come from within and then the pressure to support has to come from within too. Say if you have a 16 hour flight, you are compelled not to smoke, it is an external pressure. But when you yourself tell the world that you have stopped, then it internal pressure created by you. And you have practiced to withstand the crave by 'fasting'. So you have to decide and act, generally you cannot be forced. Just see how many light up as soon as they exit the airport terminal building. i was offerd money, threats, had nicotine gum lying in my cupboard, articles were stuck near my study table etc.

To those who want to keep up smoking, that is fine, go ahead and do it. But do not tell others that as far as you are concerned, you will keep on doing it. There are weaker souls who want to stop and then try to console themselves by clutching onto such statements and say, see, even he is hooked.

I am proud of my achievement, though it was a long while ago. Anyone has questions, I shall reply, and I tried to be as detailed as possible.
Best of Luck on your endeavour, whoever want to follow. And all the best to those who have started this journey.
I am quoting this post in full without editing as I do in regular posts just to refresh memory of my old post. Some may find this useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyakini View Post
From experience of "trying" to quit for 5 years and failing, then success striked and now staying quit for 2.5 years i certainly qualify to say that nothing you do will help with the craving. no patches , no chewing gum, no drink loads of water, no eating, no excercise, no take a different route, NOTHING other than nicotine can substitute the sweet smell of nicotine. Quitting smoking is exactly like trying to fall out of love, if you have been in love and then had your heart broken, you will know what i am talking about. In short- ONLY time can heal the addiction, the physical damage done by smoking will get repaired long before you stop loving the smoke. ..........
Well, you are quite right, but as I had mentioned before, some training to become accustomed to the craving and withstand it would certainly help. Sometimes, when falling out of love you were not given a choice, similarly when stopping to smoke its not always a matter of choice, health, family etc. issues can be a cause to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
.......... What is there to fall in love with? The only reason we light up is to get another hit because nicotine leaves the body quickly.

There is no love involved. If there was you would still be a smoker and quitting would not have been an option............
You forgot about taste. Smoking is not only about intake of nicotine through your lungs, its also about a taste. Cigar smoking is an example. You taste it, don't generally inhale. I did not love smoking, I enjoyed it greatly. The smell of toasted tabacco is still enjoyable, as are scents of roasted coffee beans and chocolate. Some like the smell of petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
.....I keep harping on that word- CHOICE-and a lot of you are probably wondering why............ Just like I choose the people I hang out with, or where I work, or whom I marry. Once you choose a lifestyle that excludes smoking, .........If your quit fails, you just weren't ready for it. Stop beating yourself up. Quit again. It's a choice worth making.

Edit: @Abhishek- I disagree with you. I used to LOVE smoking............
And sometimes that choice is imposed on you!! Marriage, office, but once you have quit, smoking will not be a part of your schedule or consideration towards any activity. Anyway, there are no smokers sections anymore. The activity of smoking used to play heavily on the mind, can I have one before I go there, do my clothes smell, shoild I change my clother, these small bothers were very much a part of life, now gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Sometimes this works -- just assume you have a cigerette in your hand and "smoke" it.. Does wonders actually..
I see how many mods smoke/smoked Assuming a cigi in your hand and just smoking it can be done better with a pen/pencil. But that is a terrible idea, I used to do that when I was starting. Don't worry, if you have stopped over a longer period and much mucus has been spat out, it will take some time for you to be able to inhale again. And if one were to start with those few drags, then one would be a complete idiot.

Lets stay smoke free.

Cheers harit
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:29   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
My day 4 since quitting. I used to smoke 3-4 a day with friends. Avoiding them till I can control the cravings. Just wanted to document the fact that I quit. It's a bday gift to myself and my girl for next year. It's my bday day after hers was on Tuesday.

Congrats paras! the key is to remain strong. In a fight between you and the cigarette, If you smoke, you loose. Take that as the challenge.

@all, Thank you for the support and advice. Crossed 2 months of my quit on 18th of this month.
Old 22nd September 2012, 18:30   #1039
BHPian

Will the anger and irritability ever subside?

I am well over a month into my quit. It might not be record breaking compared to the huge days you folks have beyond you, but it's right there in comparison to my longest time off nicotine.

I have no love for smoking nor do I think it eases/benefits me in any way. I see smoking as nothing but an addiction which controlled me, which I am successfully recovering from.

What I really am disturbed about is how angry I have been in recent times. I get irritated by little things and I am always ready to give someone a piece of my mind.

I want to ask ex-smokers how far were they in their quit when they finally thought they've come home to their old selves?

Frankly, I can do with anger and irritability but not with nicotine. However, I would want this to be behind me too.
Old 22nd September 2012, 18:59   #1040
BHPian

I started smoking in engineering college in 1974 and was able to finally quit COMPLETELY in march 2012. This, after several serious attempts at quitting, using nicotine patches, counseling in a centre and lots of will power.

Don't give up quitting, because it does take several attempts. You need to constantly remember your loved ones - they are one reason for you to stop.
Old 22nd September 2012, 21:58   #1041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Will the anger and irritability ever subside?
Yes! Don't worry, it will.

Except... you might find yourself getting madder and madder at the people who blow their smoke over you, just like we used to blow our smoke over others

Quote:
Don't give up quitting, because it does take several attempts.
That is setting yourself to fail. Joke repeat: Giving up smoking is easy, I've done it lots of times.

Don't fail. Don't use next time as an excuse to fail this time.

in small type at the bottom of the page:

OK, if you do fail don't let it stop you trying again.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd September 2012 at 22:05.
Old 23rd September 2012, 00:20   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom

Yes! Don't worry, it will.

Except... you might find yourself getting madder and madder at the people who blow their smoke over you, just like we used to blow our smoke over others

I don't really bother if someone blows their smoke around me. I step away. However whats funny is some folks I used to smoke with want me to give them company when they light up. I don't think it is tempting however it is a sheer waste of time at work and these guys smell aweful.

I wonder if they secretly want me to fail. Seems like that.
Old 23rd September 2012, 00:29   #1043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't really bother if someone blows their smoke around me.
I didn't at first; then I got very self-rightious about it (combined with wondering how I could ever have done it) and then I was left with the fact that it just hurts my lungs. Still does, 20 years on.
Quote:
I wonder if they secretly want me to fail.
Nicotine wants to fail!
Old 23rd September 2012, 06:55   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Anger is one thing that is getting to me as well.

@sridhar, I may be on just two months into my quit, but, Thad has got the theory spot on. There is no next time. I try to avoid places that i used to go to smoke, so that the habitual dependence is removed.
Old 14th November 2012, 19:51   #1045
Senior - BHPian

I slipped a few days back. (about a week). Had one cigarette in an inebriated state. none since then. Hard to keep the no smoking rule when your room mates are smoking. But apart from that one single cigarette, the no smoking policy is going quite OK.

EDIT: how is this going for the rest of the folks?

Last edited by govigov : 14th November 2012 at 19:53.
Old 14th November 2012, 19:55   #1046
BHPian

THis december it will be 2 years since I quit .
Old 14th November 2012, 20:34   #1047
Senior - BHPian

People who wanna light up a stick for the first time should seriously take a look at this thread.

Glad to see the positive results flowing in. Great going guys! Live Strong!
Old 15th November 2012, 13:58   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Anger is one thing that is getting to me as well.

I try to avoid places that i used to go to smoke, so that the habitual dependence is removed.
It will gradually subside. After being a chain smoker for over 20 years I quit smoking completely in 2010 April / May. Cutting down, tapering off never worked for me - so I went cold turkey. One evening I said this is my last smoke and that was it. Only thing I did was avoided my friends for 1-2 weeks, did not go to my regular hang out places, bars, clubs.

Now I have no issues sitting in parties where several guys smoke. I do get the urge once a while but it is ok as I am confident I will not succumb.
Old 27th November 2012, 22:32   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Not yet quit smoking but trying my best, not one of those who puff down an entire pack a day but my usual intake was 6-7 cigs a day max, started smoking 6 months back, used to be once in a few days as my close friend also smokes, used to have one when he used to smoke and since then i entered into this mess

Trying to get myself away from it, have reduced my intake to 3 cigs a day and trying to ultimately quit it. The only time craving comes up is after having food, my new year resolution is definitely to quit smoking. Only 21 years old and want to make my life better than keep on puffing this cancer stick, read a lot of posts, still going through the thread and kudos to all those who have quit smoking.

Am confident i will and will report once i totally quit this darn thing.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:29   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007
Not yet quit smoking but trying my best, not one of those who puff down an entire pack a day
==============
Am confident i will and will report once i totally quit this darn thing.
Quitting by reducing intake will not help- you are better off quitting in one go. I say this from personal experience as well as from reading various forum posts! Also, try and tell all your friends of your intention to stop smoking from a particular quit date ; this puts tremendous back pressure on you. Do try and avoid the places and people you associate with smoking till such time your nicotine cravings subside. Subside they will, in about one month's time! After food try to be in the company of non-smokers or those friends/family members to whom you have shared your quit date.

All the best, mate!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks