Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 17:54   #1201
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyakini View Post
Don't get me wrong cause i don't mean to demotivate you, but switching to this alternative will not help with anything unless you work for this company and are advertising the product LOL, you see with stuff like this you are still feeding your addiction and i am pretty sure this alternative comes at a higher price if not the same as 10-12 ciggs. The only advantage is you are not taking in harmful gases (tar and a million other things) but some day you will be faced with a situation where you have run out of this juice but then your addiction at that time is still alive and it will be kicking.
2 things

1. One may want to quit cigarettes but not nicotine. Nicotine is the addictive part of the cigarette but not the harmful part - I think nicotine is slightly more harmful than coffee but it's the tar and the 5000 other chemicals released by burning tobacco which cause the main harm. Other than that nicotine prevents Alzeimers and delays Parkinsons.

2. eliquids are available at various concentrations and even at zero nicotine levels. A lot of people who want to quit both nicotine and cigarettes progressively reduce nicotine levels and finally go to vaping zero nicotine eliquids.
Old 16th December 2013, 18:23   #1202
Senior - BHPian

For me a 1 pack smoker (20 cigs) for near on 20 years, and having quit multiple times before the (hopefully) final time - the method that worked best was cold-turkey quitting.
And it happened over 3 very unremarkable days in my life - ie not lifechanging milestone dates - such as an engagement, a wedding, the birth of a child or a death of a loved one. Not even a vacation period. Nope. It was over regular office days, that I quit, and stayed quit for close to 4 years since.
Here's what I read for guidance: www.whyquit.com , and during moments of intense craving - all I did was drink water, and played a really intense video game
Old 24th December 2013, 11:14   #1203
Senior - BHPian

I have been a smoker right since the day I entered college. So that is about 22 years now. In the last year or so my smoking had increased to almost one full pack a day (20's).

Well, I finally decided to get some encouragement from this thread and quit smoking. I quit on Saturday night and since Sunday morning I haven't touched a cigarette. I have an electronic cigarette as a back up, but in the last 3 days I have only had about 10 - 12 drags of it in total. Today I am not even carrying the e-cig with me and I hope to be able to make it. This is my first ever attempt at quitting and I hope I succeed.
Old 24th December 2013, 11:36   #1204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Well, I finally decided to get some encouragement from this thread and quit smoking. I quit on Saturday night and since Sunday morning I haven't touched a cigarette. I have an electronic cigarette as a back up, but in the last 3 days I have only had about 10 - 12 drags of it in total. Today I am not even carrying the e-cig with me and I hope to be able to make it. This is my first ever attempt at quitting and I hope I succeed.
3 days is a long time. It means you have broken your bodies dependency on nicotine.
Now all that remains is your mind's dependency.

You DONT need a smoke. Your body has already crossed that milestone. Its only your mind which will now play very nasty tricks on you. Don't give in.
If the urge gets very strong....laugh it off. Since that is what it is. Its a game between your habit and your determination.

Old 24th December 2013, 11:48   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
3 days is a long time. It means you have broken your bodies dependency on nicotine.
Now all that remains is your mind's dependency.

You DONT need a smoke. Your body has already crossed that milestone. Its only your mind which will now play very nasty tricks on you. Don't give in.
If the urge gets very strong....laugh it off. Since that is what it is. Its a game between your habit and your determination.

Thanks for the encouragement, but surprisingly since today morning I haven't felt the need for a smoke at all. Even the mind is relatively calm and this was the main reason why I didn't carry the e-cigarette with me today. I'm hoping it stays that way.
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:01   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is the place we bought all the stuff. http://healthcabin.net/
did you face any customs problems ordering the liquids. I have also ordered from a chinese website. Healthcabin was cheaper and had good reviews but they were not carrying some of the stuff i needed, so finally didn't order from them
However, its been more than 10 days now that its reached customs, but is not moving ahead. Was wondering if that's normal for them or are is there a problem in calling for e liquids from abroad.
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:09   #1207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsoboy View Post
did you face any customs problems ordering the liquids. I have also ordered from a chinese website.
=========Was wondering if that's normal for them or are is there a problem in calling for e liquids from abroad.
There was a custom duty that was charged that's all, infact since we had ordered for a group of friends it had more than 3-4 cans of liquid in it. ~ 1200 Rs was charged as customs/handling, but that was it. DHL delivered it in record time.

From my previous exp when a shipment came from china through mumbai, there was similar delay of few days without any updates. This was for an electronic device (ECG thingie).
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:22   #1208
Team-BHP Support

Good going Vikram! Keep it up!

it's been almost 8 months since I've smoked a cigarette. Quite proud of it if I say so myself.
Old 23rd January 2014, 02:18   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Good going Vikram! Keep it up!
Thanks Suhaas, I completed a month last Sunday and it's a great feeling. It's been a long time since I felt so energetic and food tastes so great.
Old 23rd January 2014, 08:48   #1210
Team-BHP Support

I used to smoke ever since I stepped out of college and got into work! That is 7-8 smokes a day for the last 5+ years (July 2008 to be precise). I have quit since January 1 this year. No, this wasn't a part of any new year's resolution. I am about to get married this year, the lower lip was already discolored pretty badly, wanted to get rid of this nasty habit anyway and I just did. Haven't touched a smoke since then and it has been 23 healthy days and counting.

I was a bit worried if I'd have any withdrawal symptoms during the initial days after quitting. The urge to grab a smoke was always there but I resisted and friends who would accompany me to the chai-shop outside the company premises would ensure that I stay away from smokes. We would just have tea and walk back to our respective desks. Friends and colleagues were greatly helpful and supportive. And so was this thread and some of the suggestions from the members.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:47   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
There was a custom duty that was charged --- ~ 1200 Rs was charged as customs/handling, but that was it. DHL delivered it in record time
One more help pls. This 1200 you mentioned is the shipping charges that DHL charged or was it charged separately as customs duty.
Were you asked to pay this additionally when the package was delivered to you or was it charged upfront during the ordering process. Why I'm asking is because I had earlier ordered some e-cig starter kit from the US on which I had to pay the mailman an additional about 50% of the value as customs duty. This was in addition to the shipping charges that I paid for USPS delivery.
In case this was charged as a separate customs duty, could you also pls let me know what percentage was it of your ejuice + shipping value
Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 15:20   #1212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsoboy View Post
One more help pls. This 1200 you mentioned is the shipping charges that DHL charged or was it charged separately as customs duty.
==========
In case this was charged as a separate customs duty, could you also pls let me know what percentage was it of your ejuice + shipping value
Thanks
All inclusive for the package paid to DHL with receipt; which had customs, handling, etc etc as line items adding to 1200. This was for the whole package which was not even opened. So they should have put the value based on invoice attached.
Old 4th February 2014, 22:28   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement, but surprisingly since today morning I haven't felt the need for a smoke at all. Even the mind is relatively calm and this was the main reason why I didn't carry the e-cigarette with me today. I'm hoping it stays that way.
Hi Vikram
Your story is inspiring. I tried your way. Just threw away the smokes.
6 hours and I gave up. How do u control ? I ended up smoking after that. What motivation let's u get away.
Old 5th February 2014, 00:17   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been a smoker right since the day I entered college. So that is about 22 years now. In the last year or so my smoking had increased to almost one full pack a day (20's).

Well, I finally decided to get some encouragement from this thread and quit smoking. I quit on Saturday night and since Sunday morning I haven't touched a cigarette.
Been a smoker for about 8 years. Tried quitting a number of times before and did write on this thread. This is my other attempt at quitting.

I had a wild night in sep 2013 with lots of binge drinking and smoking. The next day woke up to a bad hangover and some body issues. So decided that enough of smoking. Quit the same day cold turkey.

Initial week was tough. Worse was when i had a drink. After a couple of weeks actually lifted a smoke up after a couple of drinks and voila i had terrible smokers cough. Did a bit of mouth faking and threw. I knew my body had resisited and this continued during my bouts of drinks.

Been4 months. I have not smoked during normal days and have jus had half a smoke on the drinking days all mouth faking. I feel good that i have been able to give up!

Reducing drinking is my next target! I just want to have one and be done.

One advice. Do not think of it. Will reduce your urge to smoke.

I hope to write back on this thread in a year!
Maddy
Old 5th February 2014, 00:25   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
What motivation let's u get away.
My biggest motivation is my 3 year old son and I don't want him growing up with a smoker dad. If you cannot stay away from the nicotine, then I would recommend that you use an artificial aid like I did for sometime. I used an electronic cigarette for about 3 days and after that it was all about will power.

The biggest thing to remember is that the craving for a cigarette lasts between 3 - 5 minutes max. If you can resist that craving period you will be just fine till your next smoking trigger.

I completed 6 weeks last Sunday and I also survived a weekend trip to Mangalore. Driving used to be my biggest trigger for smoking. Any time I got into my car I would light up. Thankfully I have overcome all my smoking triggers now.

Most Viewed