Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:23   #1186
BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

It's now one week and I am not smoking "analog" cigarettes which I had been used to for almost 30 years now. Am on e-cigarettes and can already feel that the persistent smoker's cough is gone. Only nicotine and no tar seems to have done the trick.

I know there are plenty of misconceptions about nicotine, but most people say that nicotine may not be bad/harmful per se. Some argue that nicotine is actually a stimulant like caffeine, and no harm is done if consumed rationally and in limited dose. Rather, there are some benefits. Here is a link which talks about nicotine:

http://www.tobaccoharmreduction.org/faq/nicotine.htm

And the good and bad about e-cigarette is presented in a gist manner here:

http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/as...igarettes.html

Am on e-cigarettes and planning to cut down on that too gradually. And believe me, I haven't had the urge to light up one normal cigarette so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are there shops in Mumbai where these electronic cigs/kits are sold? Or are they only available online?
I got one e-cig kit from a cigarette vendor at Park Street in Kolkata. So, there must be some outlet in Mumbai too. I am using a kit which I got online from www.smokefree.in

Their e-liquid kit works better for huge nicotine addicts like me.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:13   #1187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
I got one e-cig kit from a cigarette vendor at Park Street in Kolkata. So, there must be some outlet in Mumbai too.
I haven't seen one yet. If anyone else in Mumbai knows about one, do post here.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:29   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
I know there are plenty of misconceptions about nicotine, but most people say that nicotine may not be bad/harmful per se. Some argue that nicotine is actually a stimulant like caffeine, and no harm is done if consumed rationally and in limited dose. Rather, there are some benefits. Here is a link which talks about nicotine:
Some people say similar things about heroin. Sounds, to me, like addiction talking.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:44   #1189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Some people say similar things about heroin. Sounds, to me, like addiction talking.
Nicotine is the not the only stuff in a cigarette - nicotine causes the addiction but the harm is mostly caused by the other stuff. The e-cigs, nicotine patches etc deliver only the nicotine without delivering the other things. It may be better to not smoke at all - but I think e-cigs are better than analogs.

Also look at this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoker%E2%80%99s_Paradoxes
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:01   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
True. But just applying common sense one would be able to differentiate between heroine and nicotine. Nicotine, unlike heroine, is available over the counter in medical shops as chewing gums and patches. Have not heard about anyone buying them just to get a "high"and later get addicted to them.

Last edited by subratasenn : 2nd September 2013 at 14:04.
Old 8th November 2013, 17:50   #1191
BHPian

Thanks to all my fellow Team-BHPians for inspiring me to quit!
After 16 years of regular smoking (10+ per day) and 3 or 4 failed attempts to quit, I've now managed to complete 2 smoke-free months. During the 2nd month, I started going out to regular parties and afternoon tea with friends who smoke, and surprisingly the urge is not there at all.
Hope it is the very end of this habit.
Old 8th November 2013, 18:44   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Thanks to all my fellow Team-BHPians for inspiring me to quit!
After 16 years of regular smoking (10+ per day) and 3 or 4 failed attempts to quit, I've now managed to complete 2 smoke-free months. During the 2nd month, I started going out to regular parties and afternoon tea with friends who smoke, and surprisingly the urge is not there at all.
Hope it is the very end of this habit.
Awesome. I hope you can keep up the determination. The itch tends to strike at odd times but I am sure you'll kick such temptation and stay on course.
Old 8th November 2013, 22:40   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Well done, ventoman. May the months become years, and may 2 years (for some reason, a dangerous time for ex smokers!) become many years. Don't lower those defences: keep up the good work
Old 9th November 2013, 11:22   #1194
BHPian

It has been a year. I really want to thank thad for his posts, I used to read this thread whenever I got a craving and it helped big time. I wish my friends would stop smoking, I wish I could make them believe it is not that hard to quit.
A big thank you to everyone who didn't let me give in .
Btw i tried the e-cig it is shit, I got a bad throat, I am almost sure your better off with a normal stick.
I still smoke hooka, it does have bad things , but its once a week or so and most importantly not addictive.
Old 16th December 2013, 15:58   #1195
Team-BHP Support

Planning to try some vaporing have been using for last 3 days and have not touched the ciggie till now. I was consuming 10-15 ciggies daily when i moved to this. Been taking a very low dose of 11 mg pure nicotine juice and consume about 1 ml a day i guess.

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-kanger.jpg

Got myself a http://www.kangeronline.com/products...-2-clearomizer
Old 16th December 2013, 16:01   #1196
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Planning to try some vaporing have been using for last 3 days and have not touched the ciggie till now. I was consuming 10-15 ciggies daily when i moved to this. Been taking a very low dose of 11 mg pure nicotine juice and consume about 1 ml a day i guess.

Attachment 1179373

Got myself a http://www.kangeronline.com/products...-2-clearomizer
I have also been doing eliquids for about a month now. I use a egoctwist vv and a kangertech T3S.

BTW, where do you get your eliquids from?
Old 16th December 2013, 16:22   #1197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have also been doing eliquids for about a month now. I use a egoctwist vv and a kangertech T3S.

BTW, where do you get your eliquids from?
My friend ordered it online along with the device, but indian dealer is right next to office so will be visiting them to find my brew. Link below for the dealer, costly compared to where my friend ordered.

http://www.ecigindia.com/e-liquids/c...elled-e-liquid

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th December 2013 at 16:25.
Old 16th December 2013, 16:27   #1198
BANNED

Quote:
My friend ordered it online along with the devic, but indian dealer is right next to office so will be visiting them to find my brew. Link below for the dealer costly compare to where my friend ordered.
Where did he order from - abroad? All Indian sites are very expensive and they also don't give much choice wrt vg/pg ratios etc. Lots of people order from abroad. I haven't tried that yet. I got my current equipment and liquid from a guy who orders from abroad and sells it at inflated prices (just like ecigindia). But planning to order liquids from ecigindia or one of the other vendors next time.
Old 16th December 2013, 17:26   #1199

Quote:
Don't get me wrong cause i don't mean to demotivate you, but switching to this alternative will not help with anything unless you work for this company and are advertising the product LOL, you see with stuff like this you are still feeding your addiction and i am pretty sure this alternative comes at a higher price if not the same as 10-12 ciggs. The only advantage is you are not taking in harmful gases (tar and a million other things) but some day you will be faced with a situation where you have run out of this juice but then your addiction at that time is still alive and it will be kicking. My friend after having tried a 100 times and a 100 different things I have stayed quit for 3 years now , the only thing i have understood that works is.
1) "believing" that YOU control your addiction not the other way round. (i know everyone says that, but that's only because its true)
2) Be strong and treat each day as an achievement.
3) As each day goes by every time you are faced with a craving remind yourself the hell you have gone through in the last 24 hours or 48 hours or 1 week or 1 month and that ALL, ALL, ALL your effort will be wasted because of that one cigg.

do that and few months later you will not need to remind yourself anything cause your body would have cleansed all the filth and would have re-tuned itself the way god designed it to be used. here is some excellent fact for you, Dec 2011 - 3 years back when i quit smoking my LDL (bad cholestrol) levels were at "high". Dec 2012 - one year after quitting it dropped to "borderline", Jan 2013 i started cycling to work (20 Kms a day) and Dec 2013 3 years after quitting and in my mid thirties i have LDL levels of a teenager (doctors words).
Old 16th December 2013, 17:51   #1200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where did he order from - abroad?
This is the place we bought all the stuff. http://healthcabin.net/

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyakini View Post
Don't get me wrong cause i don't mean to demotivate you, but switching to this alternative will not help with anything unless you work for this company and are advertising the product LOL,
====
Dec 2012 - one year after quitting it dropped to "borderline", Jan 2013 i started cycling to work (20 Kms a day) and Dec 2013 3 years after quitting and in my mid thirties i have LDL levels of a teenager (doctors words).
Lol i unfortunately don't work for the company and have to pay for it

Well people are different and different things work for them. In my case i never smoked till i was 24-25 years old i guess. Infact i was an anti smoking personality in college. Smoking started more as a stress buster, still i used to quit every new years eve and start again in july (my birthday). No apparent reason just a quirk i would say. Last 5 years i have not done that, sometime during this year i had quit for couple of months then again went back. No one to blame but my lifestyle and will power.

This move to vapor was very coincidental, my friend moved and suggested it and for the heck of it i said 'yes'. After i placed the order started reading up and then i knew this is serious stuff to help quit or have an alternate (relatively safer) way of nicotine intake. Now that i have tried it, i find it pretty effective in keeping me off the real thing. I shelved out Rs. 3430 for the kit, which came with 50 ml of liquid, which should last for about 40-45 days. My ciggie cost for 45 days would be ~3375/-. So i guess, it is going to work out cheaper also in the long run.

Is it the best thing to do, definitely not. But its definitively better for me consuming 11mg nicotine in one day than a bunch of chemicals and tar on a daily basis.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks