Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2022, 23:52   #3856
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
On a side note, sincerely hope we get to see movies on other genocides in India
There are some well made movies on genocides in recent years but people have not heard of them since they were not promoted well enough or some of them even got banned in their home state. Do watch Parzania or Firaaq or even Punjab 1984.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th March 2022 at 18:29. Reason: Edited post and removed bits which could derail thread. Request to stick to topic. Quote edited
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 11:55   #3857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
There are some well made movies on genocides in recent years but people have not heard of them since they were not promoted well enough or some of them even got banned in their home state. Do watch Parzania or Firaaq or even Punjab 1984.
There is another one, 31st October. I watched it in an Ola Rental over the course of a day. Thats pretty grim as well.

Last edited by mayankk : 17th March 2022 at 11:56.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 12:07   #3858
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: No political discussions please. Thank you! Some posts have been deleted.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 21:45   #3859
BHPian

Movie : The Kashmir Files
My Rating : 5/5

I watched the movie in Inox in Chennai and it was a 10.45 PM show on a weekday and the movie hall was jam packed! Rightly so!

This is a movie that every Indian should watch. I am glad that a movie has been made on the genocide in Kashmir.

More importantly - I am pretty sure the brutalities and atrocities shown in the movie may not even be 1% of what has happened in the real world and what each affected family went through.

I hope justice prevails.
Attached Images

Last edited by searacer932 : 18th March 2022 at 21:50.
searacer932 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 03:18   #3860
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Kashmir Files last weekend.

It is a very well made movie with some fabulous and restrained acting by almost every star-cast. Wonderful dialogues, great history and some gut wrenching visuals of Kashmir.

This story of Kashmiri Brahmins exodus/genocide may not directly hit you unless you are a Kashmiri or connected to that region in some way.

There was a lady behind our seat who was sobbing uncontrollably (We assumed she is a Kashmiri and may have faced that trauma).

Nonetheless, a great piece of history to know and narrated in a gripping way. Folks behind the movie should be applauded for bringing this to forefront.

4.5/5

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th March 2022 at 03:19.
mobike008 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 09:57   #3861
Senior - BHPian

Watched Jalsa yesterday (on Prime)
I felt it is a well directed, edited movie and rides on great performance by everyone. The scene where movie gets its name is very well made. We liked it.

4/5.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 10:11   #3862
Distinguished - BHPian

Badhaai Do : 5 / 5

What a wonderful movie on the impact of Indian family & society norms on the LGBTQ community, all depicted with a flavor of mischief and satirical comedy thrown in every odd scene, yet never losing the core theme of the plot.

Not only both Rajkumar Rao & Bhumi Pednakar are absolutely brilliant, but it the secondary set of actors (too many to name) that also steal the show during their scenes (be it Rajkumar's mother or Bhumi's father or the bumbling BIL or Rajkumar's partner's teasing antics).

It's absolutely delightful to see non-mainstream movies pick up such important themes and exploring it further for the larger audience to understand the morals depicted in the movie(s).
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 10:21   #3863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Badhaai Do : 5 / 5

What a wonderful movie on the impact of Indian family & society norms on the LGBTQ community, all depicted with a flavor of mischief and satirical comedy thrown in every odd scene, yet never losing the core theme of the plot.
Totally agree with your review. Watched it over weekend and enjoyed the acting of Rajkumar Rao and Bhumi Pednekar. These actors have some real big potential and waiting for movies where they can showcase that even more.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 10:49   #3864
Team-BHP Support

I enjoyed Badhai Do, so will rate it 4 stars.

My wife did not agree with the plot. She felt they could have done better than showing a compromised marriage & a compromised adoption. I don't agree, but who am I to argue?
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:50   #3865
Senior - BHPian

Watched 83 last night on Netflix.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Really well made movie although couple of over the top scenes could have been avoided.

Not a fan of Ranveer Singh but he has done a tremendous job of an understated Kapil Dev and his portrayal of Kapil's mannerisms especially the way he talks was quite brilliant.

The supporting caste was equally good. Being a cricket player and fan i could relate with the movie more but it was a pleasant surprise seeing rest of the family including the extended one enjoying it as much.

1983 world cup was a much more important win than the 2011 one cos in 1983 no one took India seriously and they were regarded a loser team. That win changed everything.

Still upset over the fact that Kapil's 175 was not recorded cos of BBC strike. But the movie has done a fair job of portraying how it would be.

I wasn't expecting much from it but it's a solid 4/5 movie for me.

Also, it was pleasing to see the way they incorporated the original stuff with the movie one.
harry10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 09:04   #3866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Watched 83 last night on Netflix.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Really well made movie although couple of over the top scenes could have been avoided.

Not a fan of Ranveer Singh but he has done a tremendous job of an understated Kapil Dev and his portrayal of Kapil's mannerisms especially the way he talks was quite brilliant.
Watched it yday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the movies. Once in a while we should watch such kind of movies which rekindles the never give up attitude.

I liked the protrayal of Cheeka aka Shrikant esp for the mannerisms. Ranvir Singh seems to be scaling new heights in acting, Deepika's miniscule role was a waste. I think everybody did justice to the roles which made the film stand out.

Rating: 4/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 09:26   #3867
Distinguished - BHPian

83 : 2/5

Terribly disappointed. The cast chosen is full of good actors but terrible cricketers. Feels like one is watching two movies - one with the non-field scenes feel well made with great chemistry among the actors, except for the repeated moments when the director tries to pull that "love for the motherland" emotion of the watchers. And the second movie of the scenes on the cricket-field where every scene looks as if its made by a bunch of school kids playing some local tournament. And then thare are those cringing moments where actors don't seem to realise they are in the 80s (e.g. Deepika with her 21st century English).

Only good part is the team has seemingly retained most of the actual story (on the field). Ranveer Singh does a good job but its Pankaj Tripathi who steals the show in every scene.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 09:36   #3868
Team-BHP Support

Okay one-time watch, more to live history than anything else, since this happened way before I was born. The movie should have been tightened and focussed on the subject. The best part is, there's no unnecessary drama or masala. Pankaj Tripathi, Jatin Sarna (Yashpal Sharma), Jiiva (K Srikkanth) have done a lovely job.

Definitely won't have the patience to watch it again, the way the Dhoni biopic can be watched.

3/5
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 13:12   #3869
BHPian

This movie thrives on nostalgia. The authenticity of the cricket and that era are nicely maintained throughout the movie. I really did not see Ranveer Singh at all, it was all Kapil Dev. He lived that character. Pankaj Tripathi as P R Man Singh also has done a phenomenal job and acts as the other pillar of this movie. Saqib Saleem has done a great job as Jimmy Amarnath; he has perfected the run. Even if it is a far off shot, where he is just collecting the ball in the outfield, you know it is Jimmy. Jiiva as Srikkanth and Ammy Virk as Sandhu are very entertaining. All actors representing the players have done a good job. The backdrop of that era is also nicely reproduced; the news anchor shown on Doordarshan has a striking resemblance to Salma Sultan. Overall, lot of effort has gone into maintaining the authenticity of cricket and the players, and it shows.

I enjoyed it thoroughly, because I could make all these connections with that era. But I doubt if my son would enjoy it so much, as the story telling itself is not that engaging. Still I would give it a high rating, because I enjoyed it.

My rating: 4/5
pnredkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:52   #3870
BHPian

The last few posts have been great to read. Such varied perspectives from team Bhpians on the same movie - 83. I haven’t seen the movie and now I’m even more confused.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks