Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2022, 21:07   #3871
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Jalsa Amazon Prime

Expected a whole lot from the movie, considering two powerful actors were part of the starcast. But at the end of it, the movie was kind of underwhelming. The plot revolves around a single incident and how the incident and its subsequent circumstances have their repercussions on the characters of the movie.

The plot line is thin and there is not much deviation or intrigue to hold the movie. The slow pace is another drawback of the movie. Central characters Vidya Balan and Shefali Shah have done their bit to the extent the characters allowed them to. Watchable but be prepared for the slow drag.

Rating: 2/5

83 Netflix

The film can be defined in two ways. One for the ones who already know the players and have seen them in action and how the World Cup was won and the stories on which the movie is based. Another for the ones, who just know that World Cup was won in 1983.

For the first section, of which I am a part of, the movie is a disappointment. The full focus of the movie is on Ranveer Singh and how he transformed himself into Kapil Dev. He did the part commendably well, specially the diction part. Among the rest of the cast, Saqeeb who played Amarnath, the guy who played Srikanth, the guy who played Roger Binny matched the mannerisms of the original. Rest of the cast couldn’t match up, as far as I am concerned. Most glaring was Balwinder Sandhu who was much taller in real life but that’s may be nit picking since I have seen them in action.

For the second section, the movie should be entertaining and with ample amount of pride about the flag thrown in, folks should enjoy. But yes, that song Lehra Do is a winner for sure. Special mention for the guy who played Kris Srikanth, it’s not easy to copy him. Pankaj Tripathi is always good anyways. Also, the guys who played the West Indian bowlers have perfected their bowling action and it was a joy to remember them all. One time good watch.

Rating: 2.5/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 21:53   #3872
Senior - BHPian

Jalsa : Had high hopes seeing Vidhya & Shefali but turned out to be pretty ordinary movie. Passable.

2/5
Old 23rd March 2022, 22:29   #3873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
The last few posts have been great to read. Such varied perspectives from team Bhpians on the same movie - 83. I haven’t seen the movie and now I’m even more confused.
I have always felt Movies and Music choices are quite subjective. What looks brilliant to me might be crap to someone else and vice versa. That's why you should see it yourself and form your own opinion.

On a side note watched trailer for Sharmaji Namkeen. It's coming on Prime video on 31st March. I am a huge admirer of Paresh Rawal and as it's Late Rishi Kapoor's last movie I hope to get a bit nostalgic. Also if anyone hasn't seen Rishi's ' Do Dooni Chaar', i will highly recommend it. A very simple and sweet movie.

Last edited by harry10 : 23rd March 2022 at 22:32.
Old 24th March 2022, 17:55   #3874
Senior - BHPian

Adding one more opinion about 83.

In my opinion it is a generic feel good, inoffensive movie that won't leave a mark. That is not necessarily a bad thing though. Sometimes you need it. To me it felt like a movie that Bollywood A-listers will do in-between two big projects.
No risk, checks a lot of popular tropes: patriotism, cricket, funny English, inspirational songs etc.

Two things that did stand out.
a. Ranveer Singh indeed looks like Kapil Dev with that hair-do, make up and false teeth.
b. Pankaj Tripathi is made to override his heavy UP Hindi accent and speak Hyderabadi Hindi which is not only a language in itself but that accent is something too, and Tripathi clearly struggles with it. Not sure why they couldn't cast anyone with natural Hyderabadi accent.

Overall, 3/5.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 15:05   #3875
Senior - BHPian

Watched Dhanak on Netflix.

Almost 7 years old now and I heard it for the first time. Found it while browsing and noticed that it is a Nagesh Kukunoor movie.

It is a movie about two poor orphaned kids who are living with their uncle and aunt. Kid brother is blind due to some illness and his elder sister decides to give him his vision back after seeing a flyer about eye donation. The flyer has Shah rukh khan promoting eye donation and that quickly captures young girl's attention who happens to be a massive fan of SRK. While her brother is equally big fan of Salman Khan and keeps referring to him as "Bhai". Its hilarious!

Won't spill any beans but the camaraderie between two kids is absolutely fantastic and story is heart warming. The young boy delivers dialogues feistily and makes you laugh.

Setting is in rural, arid Rajasthan and I really liked the overall feel of the movie. There are some head scratching moments but I can let it go for the movie is intentionally feel good and warm.

Good watch with family and kids at just 1.45 hours long.

4/5
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 00:58   #3876
Senior - BHPian

Watched 83.

Highlight for me was the iconic 175 by Kapil Dev which was never on air. Didn’t know he used the mongoose bat. Even in the finals he came out with that. Ranveer looked almost like Kapil & did a decent job. However Gavaskar probably won’t be too happy about the screen time & showcase of his rather lukewarm outing.

Initial expectation was a biopic like Dhoni and this was nowhere near that. But in isolation a nice one-time watch.

Rating-3/5

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th March 2022 at 01:23.
Old 26th March 2022, 10:24   #3877
Senior - BHPian

An okay movie. Highlight as others mentioned is the iconic 175 by Kapil. Getting actual photographs at important moments was a good touch.

But I think they could have benefited by omiting some melodrama towards the end. Also Deepika Padukone stuck out as a sore thumb. Casting otherwise was quite good (except a few like Gavaskar and Sandhu). Ranvir's portrayal of Kapil was quite good. I was only 2 years old when the WC was one. Will rewatch this with my dad though who would have some fond memories

One question though. Who were the comentators commenting for during the India vs Zimbabwe match when it was not even telecasted?

Cheers

Last edited by vibbs : 26th March 2022 at 10:34.
Old 26th March 2022, 10:45   #3878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

One question though. Who were the comentators commenting for during the India vs Zimbabwe match when it was not even telecasted?
The radio commentary was always there, just that there were no cameramen around. Also, there is a wrong notion circulated that there was a BBC strike due to which there is no video recording of the match. Two other matches were also played on the same day and both were recorded. There was some dispute between BBC and Association of Broadcasting people regarding some sacking of staff and may be BBC was working with less staff. India-Zimbabwe match didn’t warrant the recording since both the teams were considered minnows at that time and were not felt important enough for BBC !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 26th March 2022 at 11:05.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 17:03   #3879
BHPian

Gangubai Kathiawadi

After a gap of not watching a movie for two years in a theatre, watched the movie today in PVR Orion.

Only Sanjay Leela Bhansali can craft such a movie. Many shades of Padmaavat, especially in the magnificient direction, carefully designed sets and gracious dance sequences.

Alia Bhatt has given one of her best performances - on par with Raazi. Hard hitting storyline and dialogues are outstanding.

Rating : 4/5
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 18:36   #3880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
83 Netflix
The film can be defined in two ways. One for the ones who already know the players and have seen them in action and how the World Cup was won and the stories on which the movie is based. Another for the ones, who just know that World Cup was won in 1983.

For the first section, of which I am a part of, the movie is a disappointment.

For the second section, the movie should be entertaining and with ample amount of pride about the flag thrown in, folks should enjoy.

Rating: 2.5/5
Spot on. I am also part of the first group. Although my close following of cricket started with the Azhar-Tendulkar era and onwards, since all of that was built on the 83 triumph, was aware of every single cricketing aspect shown in the movie. So there were no surprises or thrills in it.

My wife and my daughter found it super thrilling as they had no background other than the fact that India won the world cup.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 19:49   #3881
BHPian

RRR

Watched Rajamouli's blockbuster. After Bahubali, I have become a fan of his direction. Sairat - Marathi movie by Nagraj Manjule and Bahubali reaffirmed my belief - director is the most important part of the film.

But RRR is okay, could have been better. Some scenes are outstanding. Only Rajamouli can do that and pull off with such conviction. NTR and Ramcharan were brilliant.
Rest I found movie unnecessarily long to the extent that it becomes a bit boring at some places after interval. Movie ending could have been a lot better instead of focusing on only lead actors. The plot, story loses its sheen after interval. With this ending, in an attempt to show bravery, it looked like actors became bigger than the film or story.

My rating 3/5

Last edited by StepUP! : 26th March 2022 at 20:00.
StepUP! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 09:11   #3882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
The radio commentary was always there, just that there were no cameramen around. Also, there is a wrong notion circulated that there was a BBC strike due to which there is no video recording of the match.
Thank you. I always knew about the wrong notion only. Something new learnt today

I did think about the radio commentary. But it did not seem that they were comentating for the radio - well unless radio and TV comentary was same back in the days. Anyways it can be overlooked I think.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 11:54   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
RRR

Rest I found movie unnecessarily long to the extent that it becomes a bit boring at some places after interval. Movie ending could have been a lot better instead of focusing on only lead actors. The plot, story loses its sheen after interval. With this ending, in an attempt to show bravery, it looked like actors became bigger than the film or story.

My rating 3/5
I was just debating in my mind whether to watch it in IMAX or local PVR. IMAX is obviously double the cost and it's an effort too as we have to drive down to Saket to watch it. Local PVR is a 5 minute drive. Plus a 3 hour+ playing time means it will be atleast 3.30 hour time including intervals etc. Your review has made the decision easier. Will see it in local PVR.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 06:39   #3884
Team-BHP Support

83 (Netflix)

I know about the WC win, and how it heralded India's love for cricket. I didn't know too much about the stories behind the win. From this perspective, it was a decent one-time watch. I would nitpick to say that the camaraderie shown between the players felt forced and unnatural, not to forget the attempts to win over the audience with liberal patriotic tugs thrown in.

If i had to choose, I'd easily pick 'Chak De!' and even 'Dhoni' over this.
A one-time watch and nothing more, IMHO.

Rating : 3/5
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 07:18   #3885
Senior - BHPian

Joining the comments on the recently watched 83- I think its too small a subject for a film, because there is not much of a backstory. Its not like India played cricket for the first time in the 83 world cup, a.k.a Lagaan (where again the backstory was more interesting).
For example, there was this utterly silly "introduction" of some of the West Indies fast bowlers. In reality, the two teams had faced each other multiple times and the fearsome reputation of their fast bowlers was legendary by 1983.
They tried to make something interesting of the matches and the depiction of the inter-personal relationship of the players was a fairly honest attempt, but it was sort of brushed aside by the motivational drive of the captain. In fact there was this "forced" element of the underdog with hints of racism (Lords passes etc) which do not resonate much with 2021/22 audience anymore. In reality, the Indian cricket team was well established by the early 80s, just that they were not performing well enough in the run up to the world cup.
I am not surprised that the movie did not connect too much with the masses. People have moved on with the times and India has also won the world cup again later.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks