Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2022, 19:25   #3886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Writing with Fire: (Expected) 5 / 5

The world is a funny place. We have an Indian Oscar-nominated documentary movie that is hardly visible in the local movie-goers scene. Heck, if I hadn't gone through the oscar nomination lists, I would have never realized such an amazing movie has been shot in India. And that too about a true (ongoing) news unit that is operated and run by a group of dalit women in (probably) cities/states that do not look at them as equals.

Looking forward to get an opportunity to watch this as soon as possible. Currently don't think it's being shown on any theatre or any OTT platform; nor does the movie website (link) list a paid option.

Edit: The referenced news agency is Khabar_Lahariya, in UP.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th March 2022 at 19:31.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 07:32   #3887
Team-BHP Support

Watched Sharmaji Namkeen last night.

A light hearted movie with a different spin on a very common theme with two actors: Rishi Kapoor and Paresh Rawal playing the same person. While the storyline is predictable, the movie still has its moments and you can enjoy it.

3.5/5
Old 2nd April 2022, 10:27   #3888
Distinguished - BHPian

Kaun Pravin Tambe?

Watched this Biopic of Pravin Tambe on Hotstar yesterday. Nicely made movie and a decent watch with family. Of course some exaggeration is there but overall they've captured the essence well. The setting of a small home in the chawls of Mumbai was what i liked the most. Shreyas talpade and Anjali patil have done very well in their respective roles. Ashish Vidyarti was at his natural best. Parambrata Chatterjee's character has been exaggerated too much I felt.

After the movie saw this video by KKR (where Pravin is part of the coaching staff) and it really is touching.

I'd rate the movie 3.5/5

The movie starts with a clip of the below speech by Rahul Dravid. I had watched this speech long time ago and is really inspiring.

hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 12:20   #3889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Kaun Pravin Tambe?

Watched this Biopic of Pravin Tambe on Hotstar yesterday.
Many Thanks for the review and recommendation. I am looking forward to seeing this movie.
Old 2nd April 2022, 20:07   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Kaun Pravin Tambe: Shreyas did a splendid job of portraying Mr.Tambe. I never knew about this bowler, so was a good watch. Goes on to show the struggle of millions of Indians who dream about making it big in the field. Kudos to the gentleman’s perseverance. It also showed another yesteryear’s bowler in a small but key role who we almost forgot.

Rating:4/5

Sharmaji Namkeen: A light hearted watch with family. Paresh Rawal & Rishi Kapoor played the same role. Had a few funny moments which everyone enjoyed.

Rating: 3/5
Old 3rd April 2022, 20:44   #3891
BHPian

'Kaun Praveen Tambe?' is an inspiring watch. It is a decent movie that one can watch with family. I guess there was no one better in the current crop of actors to play the titular role than Shreyas Talpade. The cast, pace, music everything was apt for the storyline. May this second innings in the role of a cricketer, years after Iqbal become a turning point for Talpade. Like the movie says, 'Life ho ya match, all you need is one good over'. Do watch.
AnnaRocks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 16:41   #3892
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a few movies over last few days.

83 -
I liked it just like everyone else in my family. Dad was getting nostalgic. Available on Disney Hotstar and Netflix.

Sharmaji Namkeen -
A good light hearted movie but the brilliance was both the actors par excellence switching between scenes. Good watch. Available on Amazon Prime.

Dasvi-
The dark horse. It's a great movie. I enjoyed it. Some scenes could have been deleted and movie shortened. Nevertheless, it was a good one. Abhishek Bachchan is a good actor, but doesn't get good movies I guess. I loved his work in Yuva. Available on Jio Cinema and Netflix.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 9th April 2022 at 16:47.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 17:53   #3893
Distinguished - BHPian

Kaun Parveen Tambe Hotstar

The movie felt like I am watching the mature version of the movie Iqbal which also starred Shreyas Talpade. The movie is said to be a biopic but some things are shown as too convenient. The story may be an inspiring one for sure but the treatment of the movie was disappointing. It could have been so much more, nevertheless one can give it a shot. Shreyas Talpade has acted earnestly and Ashish Vidyarthi is just as he always is- very good.

Rating: 2.5/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 00:09   #3894
Distinguished - BHPian

BacchanPandey Amazon Prime

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid, even if somebody is pointing a gun to your head, take the bullet but don’t watch this movie !! Today being a holiday, I started watching the movie with no expectations and zero interest just to kill some time but inadvertently wasted 45 minutes of my life on our Bengali New year!!

Usually avoid any Akshay Kumar movie but started watching this because of the starcast which has some very competent names like Arshad Warsi, Pankaj Tripathi, Pratik Babbar, Abhimanyu Singh, Sanjay Mishra and Mohan Agashe. What unfolded was pure horror, I fast forwarded the whole movie before dozing off !! I mean, why waste so much of time in making such crap with such brilliant actors ?? I am still grappling with that and it will take some time for me to come back to my senses. No story,glamorisation of violence, awful leads, pathetic music, it’s a manual on how not to make a movie. I can go on and on but why bother !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 08:59   #3895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
BacchanPandey Amazon Prime

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid, even if somebody is pointing a gun to your head, take the bullet but don’t watch this movie !!
I wholeheartedly endorse your view.

Had the misfortune of watching it yesterday. Wish I could undo it!
x x x x x

A few minutes into the movie, it struck me that this is a loose recreation of a Kannada movie called Jigarthanda - with the lead role being portrayed by a lady now. Interestingly, the Kannada movie was itself based on an eponymous Tamil movie, which in turn was inspired by a South Korean flick called A Dirty Carnival.

Wish filmmakers develop the good sense to acknowledge their sources of inspiration. That is the minimum courtesy one expects from them.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 18:26   #3896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I wholeheartedly endorse your view.

Had the misfortune of watching it yesterday. Wish I could undo it!
x x x x x
I wholeheartedly disagree. If Pushpa, Bahubali and RRR demand suspension of belief, so does Bachchan Pandey. I actually liked the quirkiness and occasional dark humour of the film. I don't want to get into arguments about legitimising violence etc. because its all been done before in the guise of "good cinema". Its just too bad that it got swept away in the tide of some other film.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 17th April 2022 at 18:27.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 20:02   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree.

Quote:
If Pushpa, Bahubali and RRR demand suspension of belief, so does Bachchan Pandey. I actually liked the quirkiness and occasional dark humour of the film. I don't want to get into arguments about legitimising violence etc. because its all been done before in the guise of "good cinema".
Suspension of Disbelief is of course a prerequisite for enjoying all forms of entertainment. One can't be looking for microscopic bits of reality in our films - it is neither practical nor possible. Fantasy - the stuff that drives our movies - is, by its very nature, a concept of imagination and creative freedom.

The presenters put forward a proposition and the audience accepts it, enjoys it, endorses it and in the process pays for the pleasure, thereby making the film successful.

The level of acceptance differs. What is good for the goose may not necessarily be good for the gander and therein lies your yes and my no for BP.

I have seen movies far worse than BP; I have enjoyed Akki in roles still more removed from reality; I have watched lady leads being reduced to just eye candy (which, fortunately isn't the case here).

Did I like those movies?

I did like some, a few I have detested.

They are just movies.

We see them for pleasure.

Some succeed, others don't.

BP, for me, clearly didn't.
Quote:
Its just too bad that it got swept away in the tide of some other film.

(PS: BP = Bachchhan Paandey (Yes, with three hs in the first name and two as in the last. BP is also the title of the movie that gets made inside the movie.

x x x x x

Although out of the purview of this thread, I would request cinephiles to watch a Kannada movie called Aa Dinagalu. The very premise of the movie is violence, yet not even a drop of blood appears onscreen.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 11:53   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Kgf 2

It surpasses the first part. Watched with full house in PVR and there was so much hooting and whistling whole movie. Full on entertainment. No wonder there are rumours makers are thinking of making part 3. Why can't Bollywood make such entertaining movies anymore. Yash obviously carries both movies but in this one Sanjay Dutt was as awesome in his brief role.

Rating - 4.5/5
harry10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 01:22   #3899
Distinguished - BHPian

2/5
Saw it over the weekend and I was rather disappointed. Ranvir Singh acted decently but I felt that the screenplay was very poor. I did not feel any connection with the story or how significant it was. In contrast, I was cheering every scene in Dhoni and can still watch it again. The unnecessary drama with the wives getting jeered etc was just unwanted.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 21:27   #3900
Distinguished - BHPian

A Thursday: What utter load of crap. The entire movie is something which will put you to sleep. The last 15-20 minutes reveal the plot and you may wake from your slumber.

What a poor sequel to the famed ’A Wednesday’. The entire cast was a miscast, including the lead lady Yami Gautam. She simply didn’t look evil enough for the role.

Rating it 1/5.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks