Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2022, 23:52   #4036
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Anyone here who's seen Kantara in Hindi? Is it a good dub?
I heard in couple of reviews of Hindi version, that the dub is really good. But I haven't seen the Hindi version myself.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 00:28   #4037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Anyone here who's seen Kantara in Hindi? Is it a good dub? I want to watch it, but I've never really enjoyed dubbed content (regional indian languages to Hindi). I found Bahubali very boring.
Yes, I did. It’s nicely dubbed.

Hmm, When you say Bahubali wasn’t good, then I am not sure of your liking.

On a different note, make sure you watch it in a good theatre which has good video/sound clarity.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 18th October 2022 at 00:55.
balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 10:00   #4038
BHPian

The movie flopped because of bad writing and direction. Forest Gump movie was a classic and it is always risky to attempt remake of a classic like Godfather or Sholay. Character Forrest Gump was naïve and considered stupid in the sense of not being worldly wise. His world was simple and he lived in that world. His love is unconditional and pure. His simplicity is not conveyed through peculiar mannerism of shaking his head or rolling his eyes. This was a critical mistake makers of LSC made. The tone of FG was a narrative with incidents provoking users to think for themselves and not a preachy one trying to portray gump as superior. Anything preachy in today's times is not market friendly. The makes made the second mistake here. Third mistake was to promote movie through controversy but bad product cannot survive today in the times of Netflix and Prime Video. Amir backed a wrong horse this time.
autobahnjpr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 11:52   #4039
BHPian

Forrest Gump itself is based on a novel which is written as if it is written by an idiot filled with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

There is much more to the book like Gump becoming an astronaut or being kidnapped by cannibals in New Guinea who teach him chess. I think he even rescues Mao from a river.

The Indian makers should have bought the rights to adapt the book than to adapt the movie as it would have given them a lot more material to play around with.

LSC, though sincere, lacks any recall value. I saw it on Netflix and was disappointed which is a shame because clearly they have made an honest effort. It's just that it's mostly bland.
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 12:14   #4040
Senior - BHPian

I watched LSC last weekend. I think if they had presented him as an all- new character loosely based on the original, it could have worked better. They need not have messed with Naga Chaitanyas jawline to mimic Bubba. Aamir need not have shown goofy expressions at all, considering how remarkably calm the kid actor is shown as. Actually for what its worth, the kid has acted better, conveying emotions through his eyes. Also, this film is actually meant for an OTT release. Although shot beautifully, it is simply not a big screen movie.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 18th October 2022 at 12:19.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 15:03   #4041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Laal Singh Chaddha (LSC) vs. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump, is a not a simple movie to make, it is a complex machine, just like an airplane. Each and every part, even the tiniest one, is connected to something big and is responsbile for flying that thing safely.
Oh what a splendid and immaculate review. You have captured it so well and better than any of the critics reviews we have read. Other than what you have mentioned, I found Aamir's acting to be the weak link. Forest was not a wordly intelligent man, he lived in his own world and some may have found him stupid, but Tom Hanks acted so beautifully, his eyes didn't roll like a idiot or he didn't talk in a dumb way, his way was difference but he didnt behave like a dumb guy, innocent yes. According to me thats where Aamir Khan failed, one could see him rolling his eyes and try to look and talk in a dumb way. As someone wrote the Kid acted better than Aamir.
Joyb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 15:49   #4042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
Oh what a splendid and immaculate review. You have captured it so well and better than any of the critics reviews we have read. Other than what you have mentioned, I found Aamir's acting to be the weak link. Forest was not a wordly intelligent man, he lived in his own world and some may have found him stupid, but Tom Hanks acted so beautifully, his eyes didn't roll like a idiot or he didn't talk in a dumb way, his way was difference but he didnt behave like a dumb guy, innocent yes. According to me thats where Aamir Khan failed, one could see him rolling his eyes and try to look and talk in a dumb way. As someone wrote the Kid acted better than Aamir.
Agree - Aamir's acting in LSC is totally over the top. Honestly, some of his better performances of late were in films like Taare Zameen Par and Rang de basanti and 3 idiots to some extent. He has hugely over-acted in films like Superstar, PK and LSC. I found him to be irritating, to say the least.

Tom Hanks played the character in very nuanced way. Aamir with his eye-rolling, constant hmm sounds every sentence - made a caricature of the character.

Last edited by RoadTiger : 18th October 2022 at 15:51.
RoadTiger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 21:44   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
Laal Singh Chaddha (LSC) vs. Forrest Gump
Excellent writing and keen observations!

Although I feel LSC did not deserve this precious write-up!
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 23:23   #4044
BHPian

Quote:

Forrest Gump, is a not a simple movie to make, it is a complex machine, just like an airplane. Each and every part, even the tiniest one, is connected to something big and is responsbile for flying that thing safely. One missing rivet and the plane will crash, we've all seen that on Nat Geo. Sadly, that is what happened with Laal Singh Chaddha.
Brilliantly written and absolutely spot on in the above paragraph.

I have much simpler theory. You just don't try to recreate Forest Gump or Cast Away or Catch me if you can kind of movies. Maybe you just don't try to recreate stuff that has such halo place in people's mind. You can have your own version of that thing, but not recreating it scene by scene.

As much as I love Amir, and I attempted to watch the movie just for that, you just cant re-create Forest Gump or even come close for that matter. It is not actor to actor comparison, it is just the way everything comes together.

One point that came to my mind for Forest could fit in into American society and we could accept it because of the way western world is (at least in our minds). Our society is just different and those concepts feel like alien here and its hard to digest them.

What is really surprising is how bollywood is finding it hard to capture the imagination of audience (at least certain section of it), when it has been the only source of movies for us and OTT providers have captured it so well in such a short span of time. I will accept that some OTT content is a bit too violent, too raw and in some cases too vulgar to catch attention, but still most of it is so well executed.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 11:16   #4045
BHPian

@NiInJa

Brilliant review. Enjoyed reading this. Truly, LSC did not capture an iota of the magic that Forrest Gump has.

The original showed the great moments and cultural shifts the US, and the world went through.

The 60s hippie movement, experimenting with drugs, Vietnam war, the hopelessness felt by the vets returning from the war, the 80s US boom, and most importantly, the AIDS crisis that engulfed America..

Jenny's story paralleled Forrest's but was a polar opposite. She lived a carefree life, reveling in the moment, enjoying the world of the 60s and 70s.

Her life ends due to HIV / AIDS while Forrest finds the chance to settle down. None of this emotional struggles, the trauma, the meaning that all cannot be found in life was present in LSC.

Bollywood is a tired trope now. There is no originality left.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 12:13   #4046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Her life ends due to HIV / AIDS while Forrest finds the chance to settle down.
Just a small nit-pick. Though the movie indicates some virus and HIV was prevalent in those times, Jenny died of Hepatitis C.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 12:33   #4047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Just a small nit-pick. Though the movie indicates some virus and HIV was prevalent in those times, Jenny died of Hepatitis C.
The screenwriter confirmed it was AIDS / HIV. The hepatitis C plotline was introduced in the original book.

Substance abuse was one of the topics the movie touched upon but it was not broadly spelled out unlike the other stories of the movie.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...192839355.html

https://screenrant.com/forrest-gump-...ess-death-hiv/

Last edited by no_fear : 19th October 2022 at 12:34.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 19:57   #4048

Anyway; I really saw the movie to understand how LSC team would manage the situation where gump’s mother had to compromise herself to get the kid admitted to a normal school. They did it in the most brash way, did not connect at all.
Old 19th October 2022, 21:22   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbug View Post
Anyway; I really saw the movie to understand how LSC team would manage the situation where gump’s mother had to compromise herself to get the kid admitted to a normal school. They did it in the most brash way, did not connect at all.
If they had to depict it like it was in FG, they would have run into political trouble. So they played it safe.
Old 20th October 2022, 08:56   #4050
BHPian

Movie: Kantara (hindi dub)

Rating: 5/5

Few people from office were interested, so we booked an after office show however only hindi was available. Going by the reviews, I had high expectations. 90% into the film I was pretty disappointed as it felt like a standard fare with the exception of a few moments here and there.

Then the climax happened.

And it tied together the whole story and choke slammed me out of my mind. I have never experienced something like this in a long time. In fact I don't even remember the last time I felt like clapping in a theater.

The performances were spot on and everything was consistent. At sometimes I felt Rishabh shetty was getting into another caricaturish larger than life hero (pushpa/kgf) but he manages to push that aside and surrenders to the story he wants to convey. Shiva isn't the hero, the daiva is. I greatly respect the fact that he chose to glorify the story rather than dish out another alpha male.

Kuldevis and devtas are a common subculture across India. In my native kerala, I remember witnessing the "vellichapppadu"s act where the local goddess "got into" his body. I never could make out if that was an act or it actually happened. Even in Maharashtra the term "devi angawar yete" and North Indian peoples "usme mata aati hai" are similar concepts.

Inspite of not being well versed with Kannada/tulu culture It was easy to connect with all the elements shown in the film. And the sequence where Shiva smokes up with the blacksmith got me trippy too. The dubbing is very typical and I would actually watch it again in Kannada to enjoy it better.

Rishabh shetty, a man whom I never knew existed has got me thinking real hard about films and filmmaking in general. This could be his life's work or maybe there's more. Anyway I would say it is a true masterpiece.

Kudos to the team of Kantara!
400notout is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks