Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2014, 12:31   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
2. Chennai Express: A parody in bad taste of South India. And people actually COMPLEMENT Deepika's rubbish accent and dialogue?
No offence to you or anyone else. I think many people enjoyed this film because of the way Tamil speakers are portrayed. Even I liked the movie (however, I consider it a one-time watch. I won't watch again, even if I have nothing else to do when it is played on TV).

I must confess, even I secretly laugh at people who speak English with their mother-tongue accent's influence. However, I understand that it is highly offensive to those who have mother-tongue influence on their accent, since it is not easy to get rid of this accent. It is also offensive to those whose close ones (family/friends) speak like this.

I guess film makers are running out of ideas. We no longer have neutral comedies like Golmal (Amol Palekar's) which can make people laugh without hurting anyone's sentiments. It seems like the formula is to make fun a small percentage of people, to collect money from a large number of people!

A little OT: there was this Kannada film called "Mungaru Male". It was critically acclaimed, and was a massive hit. I went to watch it. It was my first Kannada film in more than 15 years. I didn't like it. Why? Because there was a character in a negative role, who spoke Kannada with Mangalorean accent even though his place was some 250 KMs away from Mangalore (Coorg). I found it offensive because I speak Kannada with Mangalorean accent (even after being in Bangalore for more than 10 years).

I don't really know if other Mangaloreans would share my sentiments.
Old 13th January 2014, 12:38   #2537
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Club 60 last weekend in remembrance of timeless Farukh Sheikh.

Would prefer watching such movies over age-old romance tied movies anyday. Decent movie and fantastic acting skills displayed by Sarika & the man of substance- Farukh Sheikh.
Old 13th January 2014, 22:55   #2538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
No offence to you or anyone else. I think many people enjoyed this film because of the way Tamil speakers are portrayed.

I must confess, even I secretly laugh at people who speak English with their mother-tongue accent's influence.

there was this Kannada film called "Mungaru Male". I didn't like it. Why? Because there was a character in a negative role, who spoke Kannada with Mangalorean accent

I found it offensive because I speak Kannada with Mangalorean accent (even after being in Bangalore for more than 10 years).
The problem is that we as Indians can not laugh on ourselves, we are willing to laugh at other's expense but we take offense when sides change.

You post is a great example of this fact, we need to relax & take comedy as it should be
Old 14th January 2014, 05:13   #2539
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
No offence to you or anyone else. I think many people enjoyed this film because of the way Tamil speakers are portrayed. Even I liked the movie (however, I consider it a one-time watch.
It seems like the formula is to make fun a small percentage of people, to collect money from a large number of people! .
Bollywood has always type-cast Southern India and there is nothing one can do about it. I guess they will continue to do so as long as there is a certain element of people who find this funny.

TN is one of the larger Southern States that also has a very high visibility for some reason. Possibly the reason is that it was the central hub of all things Southern, until not so long ago. Hence, the descriptive term used by Northern Indians, ' Madrasi' irrespective of which Southern State one may hail from. By contrast, should a humble Madrasi ever use a generic term such as 'Bihari' or ' UP wallah' or 'Dhaalliwalla' to describe any Northerner, I am reasonably sure that fireworks will ensue.

Chennai Express was a stupid yet entertaining film. Frankly I think of Shahrukh as an expression-free, wooden-faced, wrinkly-countenanced, tired-looking fellow who does not seem to have much acting or other real talent but seems to have somehow reached superduperstar status. However, I like Deepika because she is pretty and because she actually comes across as 'nice' person. I personally do not like the portrayal of the 'Tamil' accented Hindi speech. However, this accent can be construed as a generic Southern Accent if it comes to that.

Tit for tat behaviour is not going to solve anything at all.
I think we in India, need to first start thinking of ourselves as Indians rather than be governed by this horrid all pervasive 'parochialism, regionalism' and misguided pride in the 'home-state'. We must instill National pride in ourselves. Right across the country.

The political class and the goon class have been instrumental in fanning the flames of parochialism in India and appear to have succeeded admirably with the uneducated, semi educated and that segment of 'sons of the soil' who feel entitled to things, without working for the said things, which, in turn causes all this misguided sentiment.
Old 14th January 2014, 11:49   #2540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hence, the descriptive term used by Northern Indians, ' Madrasi' irrespective of which Southern State one may hail from. By contrast, should a humble Madrasi ever use a generic term such as 'Bihari' or ' UP wallah' or 'Dhaalliwalla' to describe any Northerner, I am reasonably sure that fireworks will ensue.
The 'Madrasi' usage stems from the days of East India company when the Madras Province covered TN, parts of Kerala,AP,parts of Karnataka and thus anyone from the South was automatically presumed to be a Madrasi.

Why do we 'Madrasis' have to make such hue and cry on few stupid bollywood films.? Imagine the plight of North East on how the text books of our state(s) depicts North Eastern states.Kaziranga in Assam has the one horned rhinoceros and Cherapunji gets the maximum rainfall in the country. The entire history of North East is dismissed in two sentences. One tends to forget that it is a Region comprised of eight states.How many of us know the names and capitals of these eight states.?We all know the answers right.

Waseem.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 14th January 2014 at 11:54.
Old 14th January 2014, 12:08   #2541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
The 'Madrasi' usage stems from the days of East India company when the Madras Province covered TN, parts of Kerala,AP,parts of Karnataka and thus anyone from the South was automatically presumed to be a Madrasi.
Also probably since Madras was the most developed in the Southern India and all major hospitals, and other important centres (which probably the north people accessed) was located in Madras only. Probably this generalised the term Madras and it was used interchangeably with southern India as most people going to southern India were almost certain to land up in Madras due to some reason. Just like how people term the musical instrument 'keyboard' as a 'casio', and many such examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Why do we 'Madrasis' have to make such hue and cry on few stupid bollywood films.? Imagine the plight of North East on how the text books of our state(s) depicts North Eastern states.Kaziranga in Assam has the one horned rhinoceros and Cherapunji gets the maximum rainfall in the country. The entire history of North East is dismissed in two sentences. One tends to forget that it is a Region comprised of eight states.How many of us know the names and capitals of these eight states.?We all know the answers right.

Waseem.
I am quite with you on the plight of the North Eastern states on India. They are unfortunately still very very far from the mainstream India...so much that many people in that region do not know what which country they are in!

However, we are going seriously OT in this thread.

Club 60 anyone?

Last edited by saket77 : 14th January 2014 at 12:11.
Old 14th January 2014, 13:07   #2542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Also probably since Madras was the most developed in the Southern India and all major hospitals, and other important centres (which probably the north people accessed) was located in Madras only. Probably this generalised the term Madras and it was used interchangeably with southern India as most people going to southern India were almost certain to land up in Madras due to some reason. Just like how people term the musical instrument 'keyboard' as a 'casio', and many such examples.
In British Raj, south was Madras Presidency with bubbles of Mysore, Kerala and Hyderabad princely states. Hence South was Madras. Development etc was a side effect of being the base for Presidency. Similar was the case with Bombay and Calcutta.
Old 19th January 2014, 23:22   #2543
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw Dedh Ishqiya last evening.

I am a big fan of Nasseruddin Shah and Madhuri Dixit so this movie was a must watch for me. The movie is loosely derived from Ismat Chugtai's "Lihaf". The movie has dialogues that will be difficult to interpret if one has no knowledge of Urdu so subtitles were provided. Initially it looked weird to me seeing a hindi flick with subtitles but as the movie progressed I realized its necessity.

Madhuri Dixit looks ethereal in her role of Begum Para and Nasseruddin Shah in his role of Khalujaan is instantly lovable with his acting and expressions. Special mention to Arshad Warsi and Huma Qureshi too for their lovely acting. However, I felt the movie was a drag in some parts. Overall I would rate it 3.5/5 and yes from a Bhpian's point of view, the film has some lovely vintage cars too, a Chevrolet Caprice and a Fiat Select to name a few.
Old 20th January 2014, 10:45   #2544
Distinguished - BHPian

In case you guys want to see the worst movie of all times, go watch Love you Soniyo. You will be considered a patient guy only when you see the complete movie, that too in one stretch. My test results - highly impatient, as I could not watch the movie beyond 40-45 mins; leave alone watching it completely in a single stretch!

Rating - 0/5.
Old 21st January 2014, 16:36   #2545
Distinguished - BHPian

Oops I did it again! Watched Yaarian. What utter loads of........! You fill in the blanks. Felt like someone tried to copy the other rubbish movie - Student of the year and in the process made it into something which Student of the year could have achieved it the makers did not lack ambition - A Super Rubbish. Ultimate case of GIGO.

The plot looked borrowed from a scrapyard and you have to watch the last 15-20 minutes of the movie to believe that how bizarre & eccentric it can get. I was laughing rolling on the floor during the 'climax' of the movie...sounds good for a comedy movie but the problem is that it was an action adventure scene! All mountaineers who won the Everest would be put to shame!

The makers have tried to get in all masala found in Hindi movies - romance, heroism, girls, action, some emotions...competition which wouldn't have been won if it wasn't for the hero...sigh...when will the industry grow up? I wonder what convinced an actress as good & matured as Deepti Naval to be a part of this movie?

Rating 0.5/5
Old 21st January 2014, 16:46   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Had the misfortune of watching yaariyan today. It's the only movie till date, in over 100 or more that I have watched on the big screen, where I walked out before the interval. It will make you numb. I have no idea what the director was doing and why didn't the producer give away money in charity instead. Please avoid at all cost. The director should be banned from making movies again ever. Please spare us the trauma.

Rating : 0/5 & trust me I am being generous here.
Very well written
This movie was produced by the T Series big boss for his wife who didn't like sitting at home!
Totally agree with your review. I haven't seen a worse movie in the recent times that this one. They could have spent a few crores in charity instead
Old 24th January 2014, 14:08   #2547
BHPian

Jai Ho: Directed by you know who, so you know the story is going to be a disaster. It was frustrating after 30 min into the movie. But then Salman started beating up the bad guys and I forgot who the director was and what the story was. Salman+Action 4/5. Overall movie 2/5.
Old 24th January 2014, 14:18   #2548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Jai Ho: Directed by you know who, so you know the story is going to be a disaster. It was frustrating after 30 min into the movie. But then Salman started beating up the bad guys and I forgot who the director was and what the story was. Salman+Action 4/5. Overall movie 2/5.
Oh Ho ! Iam slated to see this movie tomorrow night.

But, being a big time Sallu fan, i am willing to ignore all shortcomings of this movie

Because of Salman, both his brothers are making money ( as producers/directors). He is playing the big brother role perfectly and ensuring all siblings are self sufficient even though they spend more time in the gym than behind the camera
Old 24th January 2014, 14:59   #2549
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Oh Ho ! Iam slated to see this movie tomorrow night.

But, being a big time Sallu fan, i am willing to ignore all shortcomings of this movie

Because of Salman, both his brothers are making money ( as producers/directors). He is playing the big brother role perfectly and ensuring all siblings are self sufficient even though they spend more time in the gym than behind the camera
How Salman managed to survive in the industry after Hello Brother is beyond me. Ditto with Kareena when she did Khushi. People should be shot for acting like that in movies.

I have never been able to stand the sight of these two ever since.
Old 24th January 2014, 15:21   #2550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I have never been able to stand the sight of these two ever since.
Finding a movie despicable is understandble but, not able to stand the sight of such popular actors means you belong to a different league which is bejeweled by fraction of our population who live in an artistic stratosphere sneering down upon commercial cinema which is loved by rest of the unfortunate souls like us

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks