Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 23:26   #2386
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
Anyone here who's heard of or watched a film called Listen...Amaya? Farooque Shaikh, Deepti Naval and Swara Bhaskar? Released on the 1st of February...

Reviews?
Nice to see queries on 'Listen... Amaya'!!!
I happened to see it a couple of weeks back, wasn't sure what its about but went ahead one Sunday afternoon post lunch. It turned out to be a pretty nice movie with a not-so-usual-these-days storyline, won't give one-liners as its better to watch it with blank mind.

The story moves slowly but you got to be patient and just enjoy the proceedings, someway mid-way you will start empathizing with the three main characters and realize their dilemmas.
All the actors do a good job, but the best are the two main leads - DN/FS.

Music is good too, especially the two songs sung by Kunal Ganjawala.

I would go with 3.5/5.
Old 31st August 2013, 12:22   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

John had absolutely no clue which expression to give when, he had just 2-3 different expressions which he used throughout the movie irrespective of what was required. Probably his worst performance so far.

Overall casting was a mixed bag. Some were casted brilliantly while some were lame.

3.5/5
Actually there was lot of narration scene of John in the movie than acting, and hence his limited emotions helped him out.

To be fair, I loved the second half of the movie. It was at a fair pace and kept you engaging.
The first half not so much. It kept on building the story but only ended up disappointing.

Coming to the casting, I really felt Siddhartha Basu as raw chief looked out of place. His acting only rivaled John's.
Other actors were ok of sort, finally at the end it felt like he was patronizing the ex-pm too much.

Overall a nice movie but not everyone would like it. It's kinda documentary type of movie like many said for another John Abraham starred movie 'Kabul Express' (though I felt it was a brilliant movie)
Old 31st August 2013, 16:54   #2388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
I happened to see it a couple of weeks back, wasn't sure what its about but went ahead one Sunday afternoon post lunch. It turned out to be a pretty nice movie with a not-so-usual-these-days storyline, won't give one-liners as its better to watch it with blank mind.

The story moves slowly but you got to be patient and just enjoy the proceedings, someway mid-way you will start empathizing with the three main characters and realize their dilemmas.

I would go with 3.5/5.
Very apt review. I watched it a few days ago. You have to keep a little patience as I felt it a bit stretching in the later half. But the performances are very natural and Farookh Sheikh is brilliant as ever. I think he is among the most underrated actors in the industry. I would rate it as 3.5/5; watch it for an unusual story line, natural performances and to experience difference from the contemporary league.
Old 31st August 2013, 20:25   #2389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
I did catch it it pieces while wifey was watching it. Looked decent enough. Topic is a bit unusual ...great acting all around! Sorry can't give you a detailed review but I'd say its a good one time watch. It was nice watching them together again after so long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post

I would go with 3.5/5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Very apt review. I watched it a few days ago. You have to keep a little patience as I felt it a bit stretching in the later half. But the performances are very natural and Farookh Sheikh is brilliant as ever. I think he is among the most underrated actors in the industry. I would rate it as 3.5/5; watch it for an unusual story line, natural performances and to experience difference from the contemporary league.

Thank you all... curious as to what people thought of the film and whether any of our very own sensible petrol heads had actually managed to see it in the first place!

You guys are champs
Old 31st August 2013, 21:26   #2390
Distinguished - BHPian

Satyagraha :

My satya agraha to you guys is to avoid this movie at all costs.
Even if it's offered at no cost, even so.

You may think a star cast such as this would result in a good movie. Or that amitabh bacchan would create an impact no matter what he does. Or that Kareena kapoor would be a treat.
Well, you'd be so wrong.
It looks as if the guys got together everyday for week after work and did a garage film.
There's no cohesion, no continuity, silly and abrupt movements in the plot. And then they asked the maid to work with the cook and create a soundtrack.

1/5
Old 1st September 2013, 14:23   #2391
Distinguished - BHPian

Satyagraha

Completely agree with Mayankk review. It is a movie to be avoided at all costs

Prakash Jha has copied pasted the content, style, dialect, background scenary of his regular MP style movies and made this movie which is highly unimpressive. He is slowly going the RGV way. He needs to get out of MP, Pronto !!

Ajay leaves a 5000 crore company to support a movement which is insipid than a sugarless cold tea in a small village that is equally inconsequential. Why? Because the director thinks audience is brainless. That's why

Kareena without any reason leaves a plum journalism assignment and settles down in that village to support this movement. Why? Because she falls in love with AD out of the blue. Zero chemistry between them.

Arjun Rampal wears designer kurta and jeans and is the local goon. Sad to see him play second fiddle. Why is he supporting this movement? Nobody including the director knows. However, he looked super gorgeous

Amitabh Bachan was the most boring character of this entire painful almost 3 hours long movie. Zero conviction and acted as if he was doing this movie with a gun pointed to his head

Saving grace is Manoj Bajpai. He is like a slippery eel, slips into characters with a finesse that is rare. I enjoyed the movie whenever he was on screen

To summarize, its based on Anna Hazare movement and this movie will fizzle out similar to that movement.

1.5/5 ( for Arjun Rampal looks and Manoj Bajpai acting)

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th September 2013 at 19:07. Reason: Corrected the time...
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:17   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Watched Satyagraha

enough has been said, if you mix up some scenes from Satygrah & Arakshan you wouldnt be able to tell which movie you are watching. Almost same starcast, similar dialogues & similar setting.

He seems to have lost it after Rajneeti. I hope better sense prevails & he makes movies which he is great at.

1.5/5
Old 7th September 2013, 11:37   #2393
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone caught up with SDR? Read some mixed reviews about the movie.
Old 7th September 2013, 14:30   #2394
BHPian

SDR is quirky. It is modern, with Jaipur city as the traditional India connect to give it an earthy and rooted in India feel.

Sushant has done a superb job, he will be an actor, never a star (which for me is a better propsostion than see some stars ham their way thru their movies)

Parineeti - I usually visit the theater if the script and story appeal to me. SDR was one exception due to Parineeti. Kudos to her and the makers to not justify her character and dilute her role. It is a sight for sore eyes to see her on screen.

Vaani - She is efferecent and lights up the screen with her smile. Her role demanded her to speak less and convey more and in my books, she delivers.

Rishi Kappor - WOW.

On the whole, the movie made me squirm at times and lose my patience at some. The screenplay is wee little weak at some place, and jerks an otherwise fine pace of the movie. The city of Jaipur was a little too much in-your-face, wish they had show the city a little slick, rather than so many colors and idiosyncrasy of the city.

Summary, one time enjoyable, not gonna miss much of your skip it either.
Old 8th September 2013, 19:46   #2395
BHPian

I ordered few movies from amazon.in which I had missed earlier and watched these with my wife. Following is our feedback.

1.Rakht Charitra1- Rating 4.5/5. I do not know why I'm not giving full 5. After long time I have seen such a good action movie.
2.Rakht Charitra2- Rating 3.5/5. Not as good as part one but still good movie. Too many slow motion scenes are very annoying.
3.Jail- Rating 2.50. Good enough for one time watch only or worth a 55 Rs dvd as it was in my case.
4.Madras Caffe- Rating 3.5. Good plot, kinda fresh in India. However some other than John would have done far better job.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 8th September 2013 at 19:52.
Old 9th September 2013, 18:49   #2396
PGA
BHPian

SDR - Strongly recommended for great performance of all four protagonists, electrifying and realistic portrayals. Little weak story line is more than compensated with some very sharp and slick dealing of contemporary issues. Felt it was celebration of life and youth , enjoyed every bit of it.
Old 9th September 2013, 19:02   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Shudh desi romance, don't waste money watching on theatre, wait for it to come on television. From my side 1.5/5.

BTW I should mention, two things, first brilliant acting by three of them and second, toilets played an important part in the film
Old 10th September 2013, 14:17   #2398
BHPian

Shudh Desi Romance, i loved the movie and watch it for sushant singh rajput and parineeti chopra and also for jaideep sahni's dialogues which are really good.
A very different themed movie, so many will not like it and also elders will definitely not like the movie. My rating 3.5 for the movie.
Old 10th September 2013, 14:36   #2399
BHPian

SDP....though the acting is good and some of the chemistry between the main actors is quite good as well, the story is something that I am not able to get into. Too many gaps in why people do certain things in the movie, though the monolouges do try to give some insight into the thought behind their actions. But sorry to say, I think it was a bit too far fetched.

I would suggest you watch it on TV.
Old 10th September 2013, 15:20   #2400
Senior - BHPian

I somehow didnt like Shuddh Desi Romance. While the actors looked brilliant, the story is the weakpoint here. It gets repitetive and there is no fun element here. While the topic is very much "in", the way it has been conveyed is a little confusing.

Vaani - Will watch the movie again only for her.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks