Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2013, 02:26   #2356
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Just saw D-Day. My recommendation would be below average. This movie is a story of 2 completely different halves. The first half is somewhat bearable but the second part is just bad. Rishi Kapoor’s role was wasted in my opinion and his dialogues were also not good. After viewing the ending, you will feel that there is no logic at all in the movie. All actors acted satisfactorily. Music was nothing worth remembering.

In short, this movie can be skipped.
Old 21st July 2013, 19:52   #2357
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Saw Bhaag Milka Bhaag. Farhan Akhtar has done a stellar job & he should get a few awards atleast next year! But i feel this movie is an opportunity wasted by the Director. The length of the movie needs to be cut by half hour atleast! The romantic angle was unnecessary. I'm not sure if Milkha ever had a fling with any Aussie girl back then or whether the Director took cinematic liberty!
Still i feel movie is worth a watch if you don't have anything to do. It would have been highly recommended if it was short & crisp. The repeated flashbacks also hamper the pace of the movie.
Old 22nd July 2013, 00:10   #2358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Saw Bhaag Milka Bhaag. Farhan Akhtar has done a stellar job & he should get a few awards atleast next year! But i feel this movie is an opportunity wasted by the Director. The length of the movie needs to be cut by half hour atleast! The romantic angle was unnecessary. I'm not sure if Milkha ever had a fling with any Aussie girl back then or whether the Director took cinematic liberty!
So true. The movie could have been so much better with some good editing and cutting it short by atleast half an hour. Another part I felt was uncalled for was the camp in Pakistan. What was the point of showing that? One aspect they never touched upon was how he came back into India with his whole family.
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:56   #2359
BANNED

Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. Watched it yesterday and liked it. Here is my take.

First, all of us have read that the film drags on and could use at least 30 minutes of fat trimming. This is true. The way I saw it, they could have easily clipped at least that much off without affecting the intensity of the emotional journey and the trajectory of the story arc. All it would have required was for the director to choose to not try and make everyone's character seem decent and worthy of empathy.

Second, it feels like the creative team slightly screwed up the balancing act between the themes of a man vanquishing the demons from his past to eventually find himself, and that of a gifted athlete (and his dedicated team) triumphing in the face of serious adversity. I say this because the film inexorably moves towards a climactic race in Pakistan. And while this has a lot to do with Milkha's story coming full circle to the place where it all began for him, you will most likely find yourself wishing that the film makers didn't have to go there. God knows that Mr. Singh has won enough medals, and they could have probably used some other seriously competitive (and global) platform for the climax, albeit with a differently aligned story line. I mean, if our only source of drama and adrenalin is a face-off with our neighbor, it just makes us (and them) look like two petulant children who can't grow up and claim their place in the world community.

But aside from these two gripes, the film is pretty good. In fact, it's one of the best Hindi movies that I have seen in the last 2 years. Farhan is excellent as Milkha Singh (talk about inspired casting); Pavan Malhotra and Divya Dutta are eminently watchable; and Binod Pradhan's camera work is crisp and comforting. The music is probably not SEL's best, but some songs are good. That Bhaag Milka Bhaag song by Arif Lohar is great.

I was especially happy to see the film playing up two key aspects of our defense establishments that aren't usually discussed. One, we get to see how the inclusive nature and the rehabilitative power of these institutions provide purpose and dignity to so many people who would otherwise operate on the fringes of our society. Seriously, the army is the only hope for so many of our countrymen.

And two, it is brilliant to see the film pay a natural homage to the proud tradition of sports in the services. I say this because we typically see films featuring the military go the route of war heroics invariably accompanied by chest thumping jingoism (of course, a lot of that has to do with their job of putting their lives on the line for our sake). So, it is truly gratifying to see the film portray the pride that Services personnel take in their sport, and in advancing the national agenda in ways that don't all involve kicking the ever living crap out of someone somewhere.

I have always told my dad that I regret missing the opportunity to join the defense cadre and to be part of something way bigger than myself. This film reinforces those regrets.

Salute officer Milkha sir. And Thank You.
Old 24th July 2013, 22:37   #2360
Senior - BHPian

Watched Bhaag Milkha Bhaag

I have pretty much the same view as everyone else. The film could have been trimmed easily by half an hour. The storyline too is not impressive but just Ok. The performances however are brilliant. I cant think of anyone else than Farhan who could have carried out this role as effectively as he did. Music is decent standalone however doesn't gel much with the period the movie belonged to.

3.5/5

Note From MOD - Guys, Please provide your rating on a scale of 5. Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 14:34   #2361
Team-BHP Support

Any reviews on Chennai Express?

My wife has gone ahead and booked 2 seats at PVR Gold Class - Rs 1560. Daylight robbery just because its an SRK movie.
Old 9th August 2013, 14:45   #2362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any reviews on Chennai Express?

My wife has gone ahead and booked 2 seats at PVR Gold Class - Rs 1560. Daylight robbery just because its an SRK movie.
Seriously? I need to book 8 tickets for the entire family. Plus, factor in other eatables and stuff. I am looking at a damage of atleast 10K this weekend. I hope the film doesnt disappoint by being a "Bokwass" film
Old 9th August 2013, 15:04   #2363
BHPian

Saw chennai express yesterday. Not worth the hype. I feel Rohit shetty was not his own self in this movie or rather asked to be not his own self. It is Red chillis entertainment movie after all. Need not mention more which is obvious. Some of the famous car stunt scenes (in this movie it is Jeep getting bad hits :P) for which Rohit Shetty is good at are real breathtaking, cinematography is superb especially the way they shot Dudhsagar falls was really impressive. Best part was the Lungi Dance after the climax. Romance scenes in the movie is quite irritating (at least i felt so) since i feel SRK should stop acting as a romantic hero now - he is ageing up fast and it is quite obviously visible now

I would rate this movie 3 out of 5. Total damage for 2 - PVR cinemas 775 (tickets for 2) + snacking Rs. 500.

If possible avoid watching this movie in multiplex. Book it in decent local theatres. At least they dont loot on the name of SRK brand.
Old 9th August 2013, 23:26   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
... My wife has gone ahead and booked 2 seats at PVR Gold Class - Rs 1560. Daylight robbery just because its an SRK movie.
Exactly ... it is so if its any day time show, even otherwise I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
... I would rate this movie 3 out of 5. Total damage for 2 - PVR cinemas 775 (tickets for 2) + snacking Rs. 500.

If possible avoid watching this movie in multiplex. Book it in decent local theatres. At least they dont loot on the name of SRK brand.
I feel lucky, got tickets for yesterday night's preview show, damages were only 300/- for 2 for a multiplex show!!

Movie was ok, a bit of diversion from Rohit Shetty's usual stuff, thats probably because they were trying to make a wholesome entertainment movie with Shah Rukh. I think thats where it dragged in the end, the comic sections in first half were better.

Would rate it 2.5/5, but definitely a one time watch over Eid/ID holiday season.
Old 10th August 2013, 10:05   #2365
Team-BHP Support

Ticket- Rs 1560/-
Parking- Rs 60/-
Popcorn- Rs 400/-

For this money, I'd rather have filled full tank diesel. Anyways, 'Chennai Express' turned out to be an 'ok' movie. Something I'd rate 2.5/5.

I think people who haven't interacted much with the 'madrasis' (as some of my north Indian friends call all south Indians) might enjoy it more. But then, they'll struggle to understand the language. Yes, the language. Tamil is used in abundance throughout the film, on many occasions without translations too. My wife can't understand Hindi properly, but she enjoyed- and her main comment was that it was almost a Tamil movie.

Deepika looked stunning with simple dresses and make up.
Old 10th August 2013, 10:44   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Movie was ok, a bit of diversion from Rohit Shetty's usual stuff, thats probably because they were trying to make a wholesome entertainment movie with Shah Rukh. I think thats where it dragged in the end, the comic sections in first half were better.
I dont know how many of you have viewed old aamir khan movie Ghulam, but i somehow felt climax action scene of chennai express was straight lift from ghulam action scene climax - The scene in Ghulam where sharad saxena beats aamir khan black and blue and aamir khan collapses on the ground to eat dust . finally only his will power makes him get up and gives him courage to fight back strongly. Was the scene in chennai express any different? The only difference is in Ghulam aamir khan acted much better and the scene looked more natural

Last edited by lazybrain : 10th August 2013 at 10:46.
Old 10th August 2013, 22:25   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Chennai Express - Chennai Express begins with the famous train sequence of DDLJ and this time it is Deepika who needs Shahrukh's hand!

Rahul (Shahrukh’s favourite screen name) goes for a train journey, carrying the ashes of his grand father to Rameshwaram. He meets Meena in the same train who has run way from her marriage. She is the daughter of a tamil don. Some unexpected things happen and Rahul is forced to go with the heroine to her place.
Shahrukh has done the role in his style. Deepika was good. Her tamil pronunciation was much better than what I expected. Satyaraj was wasted.
The Titli song was nice but some other songs look more or less out of place. Cinematography is excellent. The dialogues and actions adapted from Shahrukh's previous movies and and communication done through the song lyrics was interesting. The story is predictable since we have seen it in many films but Rohit Shetty has presented the movie in his own over the top style. This one is much better than the director's previous movies. Overall, its a fun filled ride!

My Rating- 7/10. Don't underestimate the power of a mass entertainer!!
Old 13th August 2013, 02:18   #2368
Senior - BHPian

Chennai Express-
2/5 rating from me. 1 for beautiful south locations and 1 for Deepika. Srk disappoints big time. So does Rohit shetty. I dont know why Srk isn't doing anything like chak de and swades. He needs to do such roles.
Old 14th August 2013, 13:39   #2369
BHPian

Chennai Express - It is as lame a movie as it can get. If mass entertainer means, no story line and no logic then this is one. SRK accepting this script itself is a joke. If you want to save some time and money, it is advisable to skip this.

1/5 for the attempt.
Old 15th August 2013, 15:14   #2370
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Saw 'Once upon a time in Mumbai dobara' today morning!
The movie doesn't have much of a story to begin with. The first half is just about bearable but in the second half it goes downhill. The best part of the movie are its dialogues which the masses will enjoy. After a point of time it starts to get annoying though! Imran Khan's acting prowess only comes to the fore in limited roles like the one in his debut film. He's horribly miscast in this film. Akshay Kumar & Sonakashi are reasonable in the movie.
I wish we could see more of Sophie Chowdhary in the movie.She's a hottie & always underutilized.
Rating: 1.5 / 5

I haven't seen Chennai Express but im trying to wonder which movie could be more worse!

Last edited by PPS : 15th August 2013 at 15:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks