Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:17   #2341
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

My Raanjhanaa Review

Raanjhanaa had the kind of promos that would attract you to theatre based on the promise that it claims to carry; an inter-faith lover story, political setup, good music all together could potentially lead to a blockbuster. However, the movie fails to live up to this promise as it loses its steam after the interval as it labours hard to create new logics and turns that the characters and the storyline take. Sadly enough, all this is done while leaving the central characters underdeveloped and letting the storyline meander along.
The first half of Raanjhanaaaa is a treat with visually rich display of Banaras, its colours, traditions and people. It is richly aided by A R Rahman's music as it brings it all together. However, its other central location, JNU, is used either symbolically or sadly as a caricature.
Dhanush excels in his first Hindi role, Sonam Kapur promises, much like the movie, but her role is lost between glamour and reality. Swara Bhaskar and Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub deliver in their acts as friends. In fact, their characters look more real than that of the leads. Anand Rai's previous film, Tanu Weds Manu, hit the right cord because of its believable characters that one could relate to emotionally. Unfortunately, Raanjhanaa does not do enough to let you empathise with its leads as in the end you feel more for Bindiya and Murari than for Kundan and Zoya.
Watch Raajnhanaa for Dhanush who could (should!) give some acting lesson to the bollywood stars; if you go to the theatre hoping for a punch of a story, you will be disappointed.
Old 24th June 2013, 15:43   #2342
Senior - BHPian

I had read reviews about Shortcut Romeo in the paper and decided to take a chance.

Boy, was I wrong!

Came out in 1 hour as I wanted to keep my sanity

Rating: 0/5 ( What was Susi Ganesan thinking)
Old 24th June 2013, 16:18   #2343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I had read reviews about Shortcut Romeo in the paper and decided to take a chance.

Boy, was I wrong!

Came out in 1 hour as I wanted to keep my sanity

Rating: 0/5 ( What was Susi Ganesan thinking)
The movie is a remake of a Tamil movie helmed by the same director. It had a decent run here which probably would have enouraged him to make it in Hindi. The film came about 6 years back though IIRC
Old 26th June 2013, 07:44   #2344
Distinguished - BHPian

Fukrey.
There is NOBODY in this movie!
Or at least, noone anybody would know.
But drop plans for any big budgeters and go to watch this. If only for chucha and lali.
Its tremendously funny, the jokes are simple, but they are new. Don't think it's 4 guys again,cos its not that focussed .

A full 5/5!!
Old 26th June 2013, 21:20   #2345
Senior - BHPian

Raannjhaanaa spoiler review by Vigil idiot:
http://mumbaiboss.com/2013/06/24/the...ot-raanjhanaa/

Epic review. Nailed it! (mind the language!)
Old 26th June 2013, 23:34   #2346
BHPian

Can't stop laughing. Awesome stuff. Way more entertaining than the movie itself.

"when that doesn't work, he goes and slashes his wrist again! Because, Banaras!" hehe...
Old 28th June 2013, 10:45   #2347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Raannjhaanaa spoiler review by Vigil idiot:
http://mumbaiboss.com/2013/06/24/the...ot-raanjhanaa/

Epic review. Nailed it! (mind the language!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Can't stop laughing. Awesome stuff. Way more entertaining than the movie itself.

"when that doesn't work, he goes and slashes his wrist again! Because, Banaras!" hehe...
Gave it a watch last evening. For me, decent one time watch. Not bad at all. Though the second half looked like being overstretched a little.

The review was GREAT. Everytime I had that stupid grin on my face when people were slashing their wrists around.

"when that doesn't work, he goes and slashes his wrist again! Because, Banaras..."
Old 8th July 2013, 09:33   #2348
BHPian

Watched Lootera (1/5):

What a waste of time and money. The second half really drags. Only saving grace was one of the viewer gave a very loud yawn and the audience was in splits.. The public felt looted of their money.
Old 8th July 2013, 10:19   #2349
BHPian

Jolly LLB

Watched "Jolly LLB" on TV, missed in in the cinemas. Must say is a good watch. Nice movie with good comic timing by Arshad. Saurabh Shukla as a judge was outstanding. Watched the re-run as well
Old 12th July 2013, 08:52   #2350
BHPian

Hey no other reviews for LOOTERA which has looted everyone who has seen the movie of their hard earned money man, these bollywood people are living in a shell of their own and raving about vikramaditya motwane like there was no tomorrow. I know people who have seen the movie and they were shell shocked that how can anyone like such a stupid sanjay leela bhansali type of movie where the film does not have any material only the visuals are done perfectly.
Old 14th July 2013, 14:37   #2351
BHPian

Hi any first hand reviews of bhaag milkha bhaag. I have read mixed reviews. Am scared to watch any Hindi movies these days. They are high on promo and publicity with the actual stuff being sub par. Skipped many of the recent releases. The last movie I watched was hangover 3. It was very funny.
Old 14th July 2013, 14:50   #2352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
Hi any first hand reviews of bhaag milkha bhaag. I have read mixed reviews. Am scared to watch any Hindi movies these days. They are high on promo and publicity with the actual stuff being sub par. Skipped many of the recent releases. The last movie I watched was hangover 3. It was very funny.
I saw it last night.
This guy has the Midas touch, farhan akhtar.
It is quite brilliant, and will keep you engrossed.
Of course there are liberal doses of artistic license, but that's quite alright. He has captured senior singh's personality quite well.
Do watch it if you can.
Old 15th July 2013, 12:52   #2353
BHPian

Saw "Bhag Milkha Bhag" on saturday afternoon at Q Cinemas whitefield. I loved the movie. The movie is very well made. Farhan akhtar is superb and boy Divya Dutta and Pawan Malhotra has shown equal brilliance on screen. Sonal Kapur has been wasted in such a small role but her looks as an ordinary punjabi girl are appealing. The cinematography is superb. The movie is 3 Hrs plus but I did not find it lengthy. Music is good and nothing to complain about the storyline as it claims to be a biography.

PS: For the first time I liked Prakash Raj in a hindi movie.
Old 15th July 2013, 20:17   #2354
BHPian

Bhaag Milkha Bhaag - 4/5

First half is little boring, but second half is really intense. Photography, cinematography and graphics are just amazing. Some really strong and impactful sequences in second half of the movie. Songs are good too.
Old 15th July 2013, 23:19   #2355
BHPian

Bhag Milkha bhag is definitely a good movie. Farhan Akhtar comes out with an impressive performance, so do Pawan Malhotra. Direction is a strong point and some of the scenes are just brilliantly shot.

Story ofcourse is based upon the life of Mr Milkha Singh, which has been represented without any exaggerations if we just ignore some creative freedoms.

It should have easily been reduced to less than 3 hours, somehow required a little more efficient editing.

Overall a good one time watch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks