Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 20:11   #4021
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

I think Atul Kulkarni must carry the blame for this one. The screenplay doesn't work at any level. This being an adaptation, he could have worked hard on it or even re-imagined. I'm sure Aamir will bounce back with his next
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
From a guy who gave us films like Lagaan, Ghulam and 3 idiots. This was absolute garbage.
Old 11th October 2022, 21:09   #4022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I think Atul Kulkarni must carry the blame for this one. The screenplay doesn't work at any level. This being an adaptation, he could have worked hard on it or even re-imagined. I'm sure Aamir will bounce back with his next
Direction and screenplay aside no one else is to be blamed for Aamir's one dimensional acting except for Aamir himself. Good acting lifts the movie up inspite of a weak story or direction. His portrayal of an Autistic kid or adult wasn't right. I have an Autistic nephew so I know quite well how they behave. Seems his research for the character wasnt upto the mark.
Old 12th October 2022, 01:40   #4023
Senior - BHPian

Laal Singh Chaddha (LSC) vs. Forrest Gump

I really wanted to watch this movie in theatre considering the hype and criticism it had recieved, but couldn't as I was travelling with an almost empty wallet for last two months (watching movies abroad is a costly affair). Came back to my beloved Pune last week. Usual morning time, took The Times of India out of the safety door's handle and started the day with a huge one page advertisement staring back at me: LSC now on Netflix. What a relief! There was some talk about this movie not making to OTT Platforms.

And just like that, I watched Laal Singh Chaddha on Netflix.

Before I start talking about LSC, I'll make it clear that I watched Forrest Gump again on a boring 14 hour flight to Seattle while people in India were beating Laal Singh Chaddha to death for all the right and wrong reasons. The first time I watched it was 10 years back and had forgotten quite a few things, this time, I memorized the movie as I had nothing else to do.

Any one who has not watched the original movie will get bored and say 'Ye kya ho raha hai' in the first hour and go to sleep or get back to doing something constructive in their lives. I marched on as I wanted to write about it
That the movie is a copy of a classic American movie is LSC's boon as well as bane. The writers could have taken up the challenge and converted it into an excellent story of the journey of Chaddha along with the journey of India, but I guess they got too busy in shaping Amir Khan's character and forgot what Forrest Gump, the movie, was really about.

Forrest Gump, is a not a simple movie to make, it is a complex machine, just like an airplane. Each and every part, even the tiniest one, is connected to something big and is responsbile for flying that thing safely. One missing rivet and the plane will crash, we've all seen that on Nat Geo. Sadly, that is what happened with Laal Singh Chaddha.

Forrest Gump shows the story of America, the key moments where the country came together or fell apart from 1960s to 1990. Gump just happens to be a part of that broader story where he is placed perfectly by happenstance or otherwise. When you watch that movie, you tend to forget Forrest Gump (the character) at some moments and soak in the mood of what the country went through at that particular time, that magic of movie-making is glaringly missing in LSC. Be it the scene where Gump delivers the speech while the mic is deliberately faulted (turmoil in U.S. during the Vietnam War), the one where he is seen handing a book to the black girl trying to get into a college (US government forced Universities to admit Black students ) or where he inadvertently becomes a pivotal part of the Watergate scandal. All these scenes were done brilliantly in the original movie. Not to mention some extremely funny dialogues and acts. Atul Kulkarni could have nicely written similar plots in Indian context, but he ends up showing Mandal Commission, 1993 blasts/riots just as a timeline while Chadda's life story is unfolding. No one will understand the purpose of those historic moments in the movie if they haven't seen and understood what Forrest Gump movie was about. Wish there was some depth added to India's story as well.

While the central theme of Forrest Gump is about being good to everyone and living life happily as it comes, it is also a story about human will and how the world is full of opportunities if one overcomes his own demons that are born as a result of something bad happening in his/her life. Don't know exactly who, but either Atul Kulkarni or Amir Khan messed up this story by bringing in the character or Mohammad from Pakistan. The story of Lieutenant Taylor, starts building from the point Gump meets him in Vietnam and shows how brave and great leader he is, but later, he drenches himself in alcohol and questions everything, even the existence of god when he loses his legs. Mohammad Paaji's story has no start, so the character does not build upon anything. Ok, he too questions about god. But the brilliance of Forrest Gump, the movie, is that scene where Lt. Taylor (our Mohammad Paaji) challenges God and defeats Him when he alone survives on the fishing boat along with Gump. That ultimate triumph is what motivates him to move ahead in life. Where is that victory of Mohammad Paaji?? Not to mention, the movie also depicts how soldiers returning from war were treated or what was the opinion of people in U.S. on Vietnam war. LSC ends up showing only the valor of Chaddha in the Kargil war.

The plots in the original movie, like I said earlier, were meticulously connected and you wont find loose ends. For example, Gump becomes a soldier because U.S. Army was going to colleges to pick up students to fight in the Vietnam War. Gump and Chaddha, are considered 'stupid', so there is no chance they will become soldiers by following the usual screening process. Laal Singh cannot become a soldier unless there is some easier way and peole need to see that. The piece where changing name from 'Bala' to 'Rupa' turns the company's fortunes is too loose. There is one scene where Jenny (=Rupa) throws stones at her dad's house when she returns to Gump for the last time, and subsequently a scene where Gump demolishes that house after she is dead. In this case, Rupa is seen beating a man abusing his wife (instead of throwing stones). But once she is dead, nothing happens in LSC. Gump demolished the house as he wanted Jenny to rest in peace. Gump's innocence and devotion are again highlighted in that 20 second clip. These scenes are there in the original movie for a reason. Instead, we got some really lengthy songs. At the end of 2 hours and 20 minutes, when bladders are full and throats are dry, people sitting in theatres should not be subjected to songs that drag a movie unnecessarily.

Last thing, the movie focusses just too much on Laal Singh. As I said earlier, every other character in the movie Forrest Gump has a story of her own and has a takeaway. Be it Lieutenant Taylor's amazing story of blaming his fate for all the bad things happening to him, then fate and his will power making him a millionaire in the end; or Jenny's efforts to shape her own fate but ending up in even worse situations than before. Rupa and Mohammad's stories could have been much better written.

Amir Khan did a fine job as an actor, I even appreciated Kareena for once, but the movie needed a much better script to work perfectly. I wonder what research Atul Kulkarni or the team did for all these years before the movie hit theatres. This is clearly an opportunity missed.
NiInJa is offline   (134) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 08:18   #4024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post

The plots in the original movie, like I said earlier, were meticulously connected and you wont find loose ends...

These scenes are there in the original movie for a reason...

...every other character in the movie Forrest Gump has a story of her own and has a takeaway.
Man, what a review! Everything that is written everywhere of LSC, I find this post of yours truly enlightening. It is not just a review but a lesson in film making. I am sure with such depth in dissecting the movie, you must have some formal training. Thanks man.
doxinboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 10:07   #4025
BHPian

Quote:

While the central theme of Forrest Gump is about being good to everyone and living life happily as it comes, it is also a story about human will and how the world is full of opportunities if one overcomes his own demons that are born as a result of something bad happening in his/her life. Don't know exactly who, but either Atul Kulkarni or Amir Khan messed up this story by bringing in the character or Mohammad from Pakistan. The story of Lieutenant Taylor, starts building from the point Gump meets him in Vietnam and shows how brave and great leader he is, but later, he drenches himself in alcohol and questions everything, even the existence of god when he loses his legs. Mohammad Paaji's story has no start, so the character does not build upon anything. Ok, he too questions about god. But the brilliance of Forrest Gump, the movie, is that scene where Lt. Taylor (our Mohammad Paaji) challenges God and defeats Him when he alone survives on the fishing boat along with Gump. That ultimate triumph is what motivates him to move ahead in life. Where is that victory of Mohammad Paaji?? Not to mention, the movie also depicts how soldiers returning from war were treated or what was the opinion of people in U.S. on Vietnam war. LSC ends up showing only the valor of Chaddha in the Kargil war.
Very nice review man. You portrayed excellently where exactly director went wrong in making LSC in comparision with Forrest Gump.
Definitely direction team has not put in enough efforts or did not understand the original movie at all and ended up bringing a movie just for a controversial discussion.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 10:56   #4026
BHPian

Very nicely written, well thought review.
The script writers took the English screenplay, put it in google translator, made a few 'Indianisation', signed some superstars and made the movie. In my opinion, this type of movie is bound to fail. In today's world only new ideas sell.
edunata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 13:44   #4027
BHPian

Quote:
Amir Khan did a fine job as an actor, I even appreciated Kareena for once, but the movie needed a much better script to work perfectly. I wonder what research Atul Kulkarni or the team did for all these years before the movie hit theatres. This is clearly an opportunity missed.
So well written. Loved it. You've captured every single point where LSC goes wrong. This is so awesome, I can read it all over again

Last edited by Eddy : 14th October 2022 at 14:46. Reason: Please quote only the relevant portion of a long post for better readability. Thanks
sanjayrozario is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 14:39   #4028

What a way to write, blown away by your observations; which is how I felt as well. Not wanting to dismiss the movie entirely I was waiting for the OTT release as well.

Though the movie is mediocre coupled with bad CGI. There is one aspect that I liked, being in my 30’s I have stopped appreciating noise, make belief sets and CGI which is abundant. Not that I did not like KGF but then everyone in the movie making business starts dishing out the same fare by making it a template; which is taking away the charm.

The template is quick to realise as well. Another example is Rajkumar Rao & Ayushmann Khurrana. I enjoyed their movies and content a lot but of late you see it’s the same fare. A taboo topic, cocky humour, Arijit singh and justification for the topic. This is what is causing the boredom.

So, in all the movie watching experience has changed and IMHO is recalibrating itself.

I love ❤️ Rohit Shetty’s Golmaal universe per se, yeah yeah, it’s a template but the last real full package I enjoyed in theatre was “Chennai Express” - Beautiful Actors, tastefully shot and great music (I am an SRK, DP & SPB fan so please forgive the bias)

Waiting for the next rohit shetty non-cop universe movie. Until then LSC did turn the terrible-treble down a bit.
warbug is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 16:30   #4029
BHPian

Quote:

Amir Khan did a fine job as an actor.
Aptly said! I found this LSC to be more like a biopic of a person rather than the emotions of Gump. Remaking to our trend is ok but songs definitely take off the show. We definitely need to come out of this unnecessary song placements in the movie.
Old 14th October 2022, 23:57   #4030
BHPian

Anyone who like Guy Ritchie movies might want to see Hindi films in those flavour. I'd recommend - Delhi Belly, 99, and Titli.
driver52001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 00:12   #4031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver52001 View Post
Anyone who like Guy Ritchie movies might want to see Hindi films in those flavour. I'd recommend - Delhi Belly, 99, and Titli.
Big fan of Guy Ritchie. While I saw Delhi Belly liked it.

I never heard about 99 and Titli? what are these movies about?
Old 15th October 2022, 19:46   #4032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I never heard about 99 and Titli? what are these movies about?
99 was released in 2009. It has Cyrus Broacha in the lead. Fast, funny, black comedy style, about a bag of money (one of those bag of money lost movies). 99 is low on fat, high on energy. Doesn't stretch unnecessarily. Has only 1 song if I remember correctly, called "Delhi Destiny", which was often played at Shivaji Nagar kebab restaurants (i was in the Luru that year).

Titli (2014) is another slick but dark movie. Totally raw with dark humour. Again, no fat, all steel. Pasting screenshots below.

The Hindi Movies Thread-screenshot_20221015193938_chrome.jpg

The Hindi Movies Thread-screenshot_20221015193952_chrome.jpg
driver52001 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 19:39   #4033
BHPian

Do Baaraa on Netflix -

For people who have watched the Spanish original and are planning to watch this, please do not.
For those who have not seen either, watch the original(Mirage), also on Netflix.
The Hindi Movies Thread-mirage.png

Even though DoBaaraa is a scene by scene copy as far as I remember (I watched Mirage in 2019 or 20), this one is bad. So bad that even Tapsee looks tired and out of form. The scene where a child on the TV is talking to her, the lady in the original(Adriana Ugarte) shuts off the TV as any normal person would do as she is scared and panicky, but our Tapsee got no chill(or emotion in this scene) and continues talking back to the kid as if it is totally okay. I don't recollect being bored while watching Mirage, but DoBaraa was consistent on that front. I love the 1.5X speed option on Netflix.

I request admins to consider renaming this Hindi movie thread to the MESSED UP REMAKES thread.

Maja Maa on Amazon Prime
A made for OTT movie with good intentions and premise but falters on the executions part. After showing promise in the initial few scenes, it fizzles out into a yawn fest, esp the second half. All the actors have done well. If you have seen any of those coming out movies earlier, this movie has nothing new to offer.

Last edited by AnnaRocks : 16th October 2022 at 19:41.
AnnaRocks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 11:59   #4034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post
Maja Maa on Amazon Prime
A made for OTT movie with good intentions and premise but falters on the executions part. After showing promise in the initial few scenes, it fizzles out into a yawn fest, esp the second half. All the actors have done well. If you have seen any of those coming out movies earlier, this movie has nothing new to offer.
+1. I am huge MD fan and in my opinion she acted well although the subject was nothing new. It was absolutely hilarious to see seasoned actor like Rajit Kapur, Seema Chaddha and newbies like Barkha Singh speak with an American accent.

I watched the movies only for Madhuri Dixit and I was happy with her performance.

Rating: 2.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 23:36   #4035
Team-BHP Support

Anyone here who's seen Kantara in Hindi? Is it a good dub? I want to watch it, but I've never really enjoyed dubbed content (regional indian languages to Hindi). I found Bahubali very boring.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks