Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2019, 12:20   #3271
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Movie: Manikarnika
Rating: 0/5

Review: This is possibly the worst movie I have seen in the past few years. I left the movie theatre post the interval. Somehow this movie has received good ratings on IMDB and BookMyShow (BMS). I acknowledge that movie ratings are subjective and depend on personal preferences but the ratings given on websites definitely do not justify the actual quality of the movie. The script is extremely weak and you will find it hard to connect with the movie. I will not be surprised if the movie is directed by a newcomer. It is possible that the movie gets better in the second half but I did not have the patience to sit in the theatre after experiencing the terrible pre-interval portion of the movie.

Most of the positive reviews on IMDB were from new members who had joined the platform a few days before the movie was released. This movie has a 79% rating on BMS which as per my historical assessment implies that the movie is at least a one-time watch. Unfortunately I was wrong. I want to know which sources are reliable for getting genuine reviews on movies.
Old 14th February 2019, 12:58   #3272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Movie: Manikarnika
Rating: 0/5
I saw a WhatsApp message where someone had asked for a one word review of this movie. one of the witty answers was
Manikarnika - Manikarchnahikarnika
Old 14th February 2019, 18:29   #3273
Senior - BHPian

Gully Boy - Fantastic movie, both Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt are superb. The rap music is also fantastic, though I am not a big fan of that genre. Its good to see Ranveer Singh in non Sanjay Leela Bhansali films, where in my opinion, he is asked to overact.
Old 16th February 2019, 10:40   #3274
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Gully boy - 2.5/5
What could have been a hard hitting story of disparity between social classes has been turned into romantic trash. If you pay close attention to the lyrics, you can feel the emotion and bitterness driving it. But then the movie is a very very poor attempt to try and capture that emotion.

Wait for it come on Amazon prime.
Old 16th February 2019, 21:33   #3275
BHPian

Gully Boy

There are some movies that stay with you, that linger on. Gully Boy is one of those. Thoroughly enjoyable, engrossing, with amazing performances all around. The movie has heart, and shows, as an an example, of how cinema has its strengths amongst other art forms. I loved it, and I've been thinking about it. It is in my head.

If there was any doubt that Ranveer and Alia are the best out there today, this should truly quash those doubts. This is Zoya's best work too, and the rest of the cast has done exceedingly well. Sher was sher, Sky was Sky, gully boys were gully boys, and Mumbai was Mumbai. She's shown the city in an incredible way.

The music makes you want to go out and just do sh*t. The entire album works. There are a few skip-worthy songs, out of 18(!), but even they're not bad. I've been listening to the album on repeat.

I had high hopes after watching the trailer, and the movie exceeded all of my expectations. It is to say when the interval pops out of nowhere.

Just a lovely, lovely piece of work.
5/5

Last edited by ach1lles : 16th February 2019 at 22:00.
Old 17th February 2019, 19:56   #3276
BHPian

Watched Gully boy today.

The movie is all about rap and Gen X people, like me, may not like the film to that extent.

Ranveer, Alia, Kalki Koechlin and Vijay Raaz are excellent. What is particularly noteworthy is the effort that has gone into the photography and filming in narrow Dharavi area.

Rating : 2.5/5

Last edited by AltoLXI : 17th February 2019 at 20:00.
Old 17th February 2019, 23:39   #3277
Senior - BHPian

Some really mixed reviews there for Gullyboy. Will wait for it to come on Amazon prime.

Watched KGF on Amazon prime. Could barely make out the face of the hero. So much beard and hair . The movie is all about the lead actor's swag. The story isn't really as gripping as the initial buildup is. And the ending is way too hurried.

Okay-ish one time watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Rating : 2.5/5
Old 18th February 2019, 06:03   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

Watched KGF on Amazon prime. Could barely make out the face of the hero. So much beard and hair . The movie is all about the lead actor's swag. The story isn't really as gripping as the initial buildup is. And the ending is way too hurried.

Okay-ish one time watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Rating : 2.5/5

I started out on the Kannada ( original version) but then wifey also wanted to watch, hence moved to Hindi version.

I felt that dubbing takes some of the passion/swag out of the movie. But I'm trying to understand how/why did this movie become such a sleeper hit? Just doesn't make sense. Story is regular done to death theme and neither action nor cinematography is really out of the ordinary wow!

p.s: Not sure what kind of focus group did the director/stylist do, all lead characters have so much facial hair that it looks directly IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Sher was sher, Sky was Sky, gully boys were gully boys, and Mumbai was Mumbai. She's shown the city in an incredible way.

I have realised that only someone who has lived in the city for sometime truly gets to know the various different facets of Mumbai compared to what is generally visible on the surface. Hence a lot of city-centric cinema may not make sense to a lot of out of towners. I have seen the trailer and i felt it is a story of the struggles of an upcoming artist. And Dharavi (Asia's largest slum) is a city within a city with its own dynamics and heart.

Gotta watch the movie!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th February 2019 at 06:42. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 19th February 2019, 12:40   #3279
BHPian

Manikarnika - 5/5

I absolutely loved this movie to the core. This movie is a depiction of women empowerment in a true sense. Kangna's acting is fabulous and so has everyone else lived up to their respective roles.

The present generation women, especially from the urban metro background, are better off watching Manikarnika than some disgusting movies like "Veere de wedding". Hope that helps them understand what is true empowerment, not what is shown in most Bollywood movies these days where a female character is degraded to the core in the name of liberalism, equality and freedom of expression, freedom to wear any kind of dress and what not.
Old 21st February 2019, 15:19   #3280
BHPian

Watched Gully Boy yesterday - 4 /5. Like a few people mentioned here, it is a film which you may or may not like if you cant relate with the surroundings. Typically Mumbai crowd would love it. I thought the socio economic side of a particular section of the society has been captured subtly but very well. I am not a big fan of Ranveer as such but loved his natural acting in this film. Alia is good as well. Having seen the cluttered gullies of Mumbai from close quarters I can very well relate to the life style shown in the film, especially those tiny houses of Dharavi and the typical language.

Last edited by Prafful_Rathod : 21st February 2019 at 15:20.
Old 10th March 2019, 12:53   #3281
Team-BHP Support

Badla = 4 stars

A gripping tale and a remake of the Spanish movie "The Invisible Guest". The second half may be a little predictable for someone who watches this genre regularly, but pretty good nonetheless.

Maybe a better actor than the one who plays Tapsi Pannu's boyfriend would have made the movie better.

Amitabh, Amrita Singh and Tapsee Pannu rock and the "Kahani" director does a good job too.
Old 11th March 2019, 04:08   #3282
BHPian

I just had to post this looking at the large number of low ratings for Gully Boy in this thread. I can understand that one may not enjoy the hip hop genre of music, however it is undeniable that the lyrics to all the songs are hard-hitting and deeply meaningful. It is certainly not a traditional film or 'romantic trash'.

What it is, is a beautifully shot and directed film with rustic tones.
The lyrics of the rap songs, especially Doori are a masterpiece.
Old 11th March 2019, 09:41   #3283
Senior - BHPian

Total Dhamaal & Badla

Total Dhamaal
I had to tag along with my son to watch this movie since he wanted a break after his exams. And now for the movie review - this was supposed to be a comedy movie. So did it make me laugh? Yes, I did laugh a few times, thinking about my idiocy in accompanying my son to the cinema to watch this one. Rating 0/5. The only silver lining was that we got to watch this in IMAX and the sound system was really great.

Badla
I would rate it as a good movie to watch one time. I have not watched the original, but now want to. The movie mostly keeps you engaged and although some of the outcome is predictable, it still keeps an element of suspense throughout. I would rate it 3/5.

Last edited by pjbiju : 11th March 2019 at 09:43.
Old 11th March 2019, 11:02   #3284
BHPian

Soni

I watched this fantastic Netflix film over the weekend. Stellar performances by the two lead actors along with excellent pacing and cinematography. It is wonderful to see streaming services like Netflix release local content that is real and unconventional. Do watch.

Old 11th March 2019, 12:54   #3285
BHPian

Uri

This was one movie which I was really looking forward to watch and came back thoroughly disappointed.
They had an enigma of an event to transform into a cinematic experience and ended up making it seem like a poorly and hurriedly made film, even serials nowadays are better made.

With films like Lakshya, Border, Baby etc. I was expecting a lot more.

And I won't even get to Zero Dark Thirty or Hurt Locker!

Few points really made me wonder
- There seems to be only one officer in the Intelligence team who takes care of all their needs right from being a nurse to leading covert operations
- Everyone seems to be talking about the Surgical Strike right after the PM announces how they were supposed to keep it a secret
- Post the NE mission, the officer talks directly to the PM and Paresh Rawal whilst the General? looks on
- The IB officer (Yami Gautam) leads the operations while all others are just busy emoting.
- With what could have been an extremely gritty and fast paced content, this comes out as being lost and trying to lift spirits from time to time, the intensity was just not there
- Whats with breaking phones?
- Everyone switches off their night vision glasses when they should be using them while hitting the bad guys, everyone's glasses glow like crazy which defeats the purpose of a night vision glass advantage
Duh!

I so wish this master stroke event is remade by Farhan Akhtar or Kathryn Bigelow!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks