Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2022, 13:47   #2896
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Which is not very different than Yakshagana Sangeeta, from Tulunadu area. There is simply too many overlap between Tulunadu culture and Kerala culture, being neighboring regions. Even Kalari was common to Tulunadu, although now Kerala fully claims Kalaripayattu. The most advanced form in Kalaripayyatu is called Tulunadan.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=gotUFqNsGS8
I was talking about why Navarasam may not be that appealing to public compared to Varaharoopam. And I was talking about copyright infringement and not about the possible overlaps between Kathakali and Yakshagana. Myself married to a person from different states, I'm proud of any authentic art form that I come across in this world and I don't have any partisanship on these matters and not a regional man at all. Plagiarism is a big turn off for me and for many who live on this planet.
vinodvayyat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 08:22   #2897
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Plagiarism is a big turn off for me and for many who live on this planet.
It is just an accusation, yet to be proven. Anyone can accuse, doesn't make it a fact. It requires unbiased experts to assess the truth.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st October 2022 at 08:27.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 09:03   #2898
Team-BHP Support

Thiruchitrambalam

A light hearted and fun Tamil movie staring Dhanush and Nithya.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiruchitrambalam

Enjoyed it on SunNxt.
It's a family friendly movie with good music.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 12:07   #2899
BHPian

Viruman

Chanced upon this over the weekend. Pretty bad storyline and pretty bad acting. Karthi tried his best to shoulder the movie completely, but the others let him down completely. None of the characters have been built and the songs can be completely forgotten. The heroine is the daughter of filmmaker Shankar and has potentially zero acting skills.

Guidance: Stay Away or be Brain Fried

Rating: (-1)/5

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st October 2022 at 12:29. Reason: typo
Old 31st October 2022, 12:56   #2900
Distinguished - BHPian

After the hangover of 'Kantara', decided to finally watch 2 movies from the other 2 of the famed RRR Trio of Kannada Cinema-Rakshit Shetty and Raj B Shetty, which were pending in my watchlist for quite some time.

777 Charlie- Rakshit Shetty Had not watched it because am not very fond of such man-animal sentimental themes. But this one was pretty nice. Lots of sentiments as expected, but some nice humor also. Was a good watch.

Garuda Gamana Vrishabha Vahana-Raj Shetty, Rishabh Shetty- A violent gangster drama set in Mangalore area. Story of friends turned foes. A well made film watchable mainly because of Raj Shetty's performance and direction.

Raj Shetty is a wonderful actor. First watched him in 'Ondu Motteya Kathe'(I think was his debut). Then in Mayabazaar 2016. Both light, slightly goofy roles, then the funny doctor in 777 Charlie. In between a complete transformation into a slightly imbalanced, hardcore criminal gangster in Garuda Gamana... On top of that- his writer-director skills. Garuda Gamana was so well done.

Also heard in interviews he directed the 'Bhoota Kola' intro and end sequences in Kantara. In my opinion, he is the best of the RRR trio.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 31st October 2022 at 12:59.
Rajeevraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 15:09   #2901
BHPian

Last week watched Kantara in Malayalam. Dubbing was not up to the mark. To get the raw feeling, watched Kannada version in a local theater in Bangalore yesterday. The theater was houseful and 99% of people were localites. I enjoyed the movie and theater experience. As a Keralite from Malabar region, I could easily understand the rituals followed. Kolam, Theyyam, Kavi dhothi, Kannu Theli/Pootu(Kambala in Kannada) etc are also part of our culture.

Liked the BGM, cinematography and total flow of the movie. Happy that they haven't mixed unwanted scenes or masalas into it. The costumes and mannerism of most of the characters were simply awesome. The only sore point was the acting of character Kamala. Felt pretty artificial.

As most of the people mentioned, felt the movie got heavy inspiration from Navarasam of Thaikkudam Bridge. Some of the BGM seems to be inspired from Ayyapanum Koshiyum. Especially the mix of flock songs when they show forest officer.
K_Drive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 15:55   #2902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Last week watched Kantara in Malayalam. Dubbing was not up to the mark. To get the raw feeling, watched Kannada version in a local theater in Bangalore yesterday.
I have not watched Kantara yet. In trailer itself it is clear that Malayalam dubbing is not up to the mark but we have no option to watch the Kannada version in my hometown.
Old 1st November 2022, 05:44   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
It is just an accusation, yet to be proven. Anyone can accuse, doesn't make it a fact.
This video is wrong at so many levels, I don't even know where to start. Debating over this would be going off topic but i cannot resist. The youtuber is not lying, hes quite accurate in almost all things. But the conclusion is one dimensional and contrived. What he conveniently passes off as "referencing" is merely an impostor for the erstwhile terms "inspiration" or "adaptation" used by people when they simply meant to say "unoriginal idea".

This usually happens with new or lesser known composers, no Director/Producer would dare give "reference" to an established music director. You may suggest genres or themes but to provide an existing track and ask them to be inspired (that too Indian!) would be considered offensive.

Sure there are technicalities behind which such artists are protected. Copy pasted works are usually less vulnerable to legal scrutiny as compared to cut paste jobs. Case in point Bappi lahiris copyright victory against Truth hurts and Rakim for playing "kaliyon ka chaman" as it is on their track "Addictive".

Karan Johar bought the rights of Roy Orbisons "Pretty woman" for his version of Pretty woman in Kal ho na ho. Despite the Shankar Ehsan Loy number being quite different from the original.

The point is Ajaneesh couldn't take Varaha Roopam far from what it's originally derived from. Traces of Navarasam are still very evident. It's only fair that they give credit where it's due.

DISCLAIMER: This is not to tarnish or demean Rishab Shettys achievement in any way. Kantara remains a masterpiece and Varaha roopam is a great track. But I also sympathize with Thaikudam bridge.
400notout is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 08:10   #2904
BANNED

Just started watching the original Byomkesh (Bengali) series (Gourav Chakravorty) on Zee after a gap of over a year. Turned out just as good as the first time! This Byomkesh creation I feel is the best of the lot, with various other mega stars in the starring role. The effort put in, in recreating the period ambience and the studied effort at a less violent and more cerebral treatment of the character certainly contributed to its success.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 12:48   #2905
BHPian

If it's running at a theatre near you, please watch : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21288778/ : Gandhada Gudi

It is not a "movie" - it is a documentary about Karnataka's nature and wildlife - but it stars a much loved star of our generation Dr Puneet Rajkumar. For those of you that have enjoyed Karnataka's natural bounty via treks, drives, jeep rides, safaris or just sitting taking in the rains from a resort on the ghats - it's a great opportunity to relive it all ( and discover new stuff ) via a great set of lens.
airguitar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:58   #2906
BHPian

Quote:
It is just an accusation, yet to be proven. Anyone can accuse, doesn't make it a fact. It requires unbiased experts to assess the truth.
I had watched the mentioned video a day or two before you had posted this. The author conveniently forgets many dimensions of song making and gives a lot of importance for chord progression (because that is what he can quickly demonstrate in the video perhaps). Creation of anything in this age is such a difficult task and let alone music. One thing the commercial artists take care of these days if he/she wants to claim genuineness is to give credits where it is due. The composer has indeed mentioned in few interviews that he had taken inspiration from Navarasam - what prevented him to at least display the band's name in credits? Or what was the issue with the production house on procuring rights? No renowned production team does such a thing and then get embroiled in controversy. It takes unbiased experts to evaluate this indeed which I agree with and I'm not an expert. As a first step, there is a court directive on this already. Let it progress further.

No one holds exclusive rights on Tulunadu/Tulu culture/Yakshagana/Theyyam/Kathakali - but the modern creations are indeed copyrighted. Giving credits where it is due should be a decent way forward. If you can't, never have any reference to start with - that way it will be near impossible to have even 50% resemblance to a copyrighted creation - because how can arrangement/types of instruments/rhythm/chord progression can all match "unknowingly"?
vinodvayyat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:24   #2907
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
As a first step, there is a court directive on this already. Let it progress further.
Is the court directive being followed? Does a small town local court have powers to issue orders like that, without hearing both parties & proper deliberation on the matter?

I don't see anything on twitter or news that the song has been nixed in the movie theaters. The song is after all integrated into the now famous climax of the movie.

Unlikely local courts have such powers because then ANYBODY can misuse the system to stop screening a movie or parts of a movie, with a claim that story is copied or music is copied or dialogues are copied.

Last edited by SmartCat : 2nd November 2022 at 10:43.
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:26   #2908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Is the court directive being followed? Does a small town local court have powers to issue orders like that, without hearing both parties & proper deliberation on the matter?

I don't see anything on twitter or news that the song has been nixed in the movie theaters. The song is after all integrated into the now famous climax of the movie.

Unlikely local courts have such powers because then ANYBODY can misuse the system to stop screening a movie or parts of a movie, with a claim that story is copied or music is copied or dialogues are copied.
The court order I don't think asked for cuts in the exhibition version of the movie - only stopped the song being broadcast or performed in a standalone fashion (eg: FM, Spotify etc.). Have you checked in these? I imagine there would be a delay while the band gets certified copies of the judgment and delivers it to all the parties to which it is applicable.

Also, I guess what the band obtained from the court is a temporary, ex-parte injunction under section 37(1) of The Specific Relief Act. The affected parties can approach the court for vacation of the injunction. And it is not any small town local judge; it is the principal district/sessions judge who is just one rung below a high court judge.

Remember one Arindam Chaudhuri who used to file applications for such ex-parte injunctions in far-off Guwahati/Silchar to silence his critics?
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:35   #2909
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The court order I don't think asked for cuts in the exhibition version of the movie - only stopped the song being broadcast or performed in a standalone fashion (eg: FM, Spotify etc.). Have you checked in these?
It is still there on Youtube/Spotify/Gaana etc

Quote:
I imagine there would be a delay while the band gets certified copies of the judgment and delivers it to all the parties to which it is applicable.
Aah yes, perhaps you are right.
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:44   #2910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Is the court directive being followed?
I watched it yesterday and the song was still played at Theaters.

Quote:
IMO, its a direct rip off. No questions about it.

PS : I went to a theater after a long time based on lot of positive reviews and though I was not elated, the movie was different.

So it only goes on to prove that if you base a film on a good story and script, it would succeed.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks