Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2022, 10:14   #3001
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think censor board certification and the rules / processes associated with that are relevant only for public exhibitions (ie, in theatres) and not for watching in the privacy of our homes (OTT).
Some of the Youtube video songs are censored. Its amusing to watch Gemini's Naatu Kattai song where majority of the song is blanked out The audio streaming is uncensored though.

There are differing censorship in how the OTT video is rated. Air Crash Investigation has swearing and its subtitles blanked, but Game of Thrones rated 16+ is not.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 11:01   #3002
Senior - BHPian

Demonte Colony
(Tamil)

"After consuming liquor, four friends decide to do something interesting and visit a haunted bungalow. However, they do not realize that they have returned home with an evil spirit."

Suggested by a few bhpians, we finally got a chance to watch this movie. It turned out to be a fun ride for us horror fans. Nice music and thought the fellows acted well.

3.5/5
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 13:00   #3003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
There are news reports that kantara on OTT is back with the original song now that the courts have reversed the ban. Can someone confirm whether Kantara is available with original varaha roopam song on Amazon Prime?
Watched Kantara in Telugu yesterday night, it had the original song at the end where Shiva disappears. Liked the movie.
Old 28th November 2022, 13:37   #3004
BHPian

Masooda (Telugu)

Genre: Horror

Rating ****

After a long time, I watched a spine-chilling horror on a big screen and oh boy, it was scary! The movie is true to its genre and an almost perfect scarefest!

Synopsis : A middle-class working mom and her teen daughter who struggle to make their ends meet assisted by a friendly but cowardly neighboring young man, have a supernatural connection to a couple of gruesome murders that occur in 1980s.
The movie is about how these ordinary mortals fight a supernatural entity by exploring that connection, written in blood and gore.

The movie definitely has the vibes of The Exorcist. Further, the makers have certainly left couple of easter eggs that serve as references to other horror movies ( Protagonist's Love interest name is Minnie- ref to name of Revathi character in RGV's Raat; Specific usage of Tonga is reference to many of the Ramsay's movies and also the legendary Dracula and its horse cart)

Being true to its genre, there's no funny stuff apart from some contextual comic lines. Only 2 songs that are not long. All the actors performed brilliantly . Though there are certain shortcomings and loose ends, I am sure horror fans would enjoy it. The narration is gripping and elements of horror add certain freshness.

There's old fort, dark forests, old graveyard and rainy nights - all perfect recipes for horror.

Must watch for horror fans.

Last edited by poised2drive : 28th November 2022 at 13:39.
poised2drive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 15:57   #3005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This is what I thought as well. The movie works because of the way the folklore is woven into the mainstream mass elements. For this reason, I would rate Kantara much higher than say a RRR or a KGF Chapter 2. Rishabh Shetty was really good with the start and end, but the middle part, especially the romantic/comic scenes were either flat or loud.
I agree in principle Vb-san. But you see, in my eyes both RRR and KGF are out and out masala films that don't aspire to be anything else. Kantara on the other hand is another masala film that aspires to be something else (probably forced upon it by the hype). So I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison.

To be fair, I enjoyed all the three movies. While I watched RRR and KGF knowing very well what I was getting into, Kantara despite the good parts left me feeling unsatisfied.

I would believe a better parallel is Thallumala (malayalam). Thallumala uses nonlinear story telling and showcases the mappila tradition of north Kerala to mesmerize the viewer and hide the underlying weakness in the script. While Kantara uses intelligent imagery and Bhootakola visuals to camouflage what is essentially a masala movie.

Yes there is issue of encroachment and exploitation being straddled, but it does not do much other than scratch the surface. In the end, if you remove the beautiful cinematography and a few moments that admittedly punch above their weight, it is actually an ordinary film. But yes, that is subjective so happy to agree to disagree on this one

Last edited by vibbs : 28th November 2022 at 15:59.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 03:30   #3006
BHPian

Alright !! I am an odd man out here and gonna face brickbats for saying this, but seriously didn't find anything special about Kantara including the famed last 15 mins. I watched it today in my mother tongue Kannada and not a single aspect of the movie impressed me. I am a spiritually inclined person though being a Doctor but sorry, Kantara was nothing great. I know, I should have watched it in theatres but anyway I wouldn't be impressed with only the visuals. Expected more from the movie given the hype !

Last edited by vivek95 : 29th November 2022 at 03:32.
vivek95 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 09:53   #3007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Alright !! I am an odd man out here and gonna face brickbats for saying this, but seriously didn't find anything special about Kantara...
Let's make it even I also didn't find anything spectacular about Kantara. Definitely an over hyped movie just like Rorschach but at least I didn't feel I wasted my time after watching Kantara but the other one was a sheer torture.
prabhu789 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 12:03   #3008
BHPian

Quote:
Alright !! I am an odd man out here and gonna face brickbats for saying this, b !
You aren't alone.

Many of my friends haven't found it great. It is not that we are not able to relate to the mood of the movie. Many of us hail from rural, semi-urban areas where these kind of festivities are common. We call them "Jaathara" where the deities are supposed to speak through a specific devotee.

Its that these kind of movies were run of the mill in mid 1990s ( Soundarya & Ramyakrishna starrer Ammoru was the most famous of all and a massive hit) and the whole plot was so predictable. Further, the plot of "Zamindar" was quite similar to that of Rangasthalam. Hence, couldn't say Kantara was anything special.

Personally, I found the plotline of how the final ( but mortal) threat had to be handled by the supernatural element unappealing, which points the failure of combined might of villagers and even the Government.

Of course, it was entertaining- the colorful visuals, the stunning cinematography and the final intense 15 min of Varaharoopam on a large screen would certainly enchant the audience.

And now on OTTs, without Varaharoopam original tune and the large screen, the audience would be left puzzled.

Last edited by poised2drive : 29th November 2022 at 12:09.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 12:08   #3009
BHPian

Quote:
I know, I should have watched it in theatres but anyway I wouldn't be impressed with only the visuals. Expected more from the movie given the hype !
I definitely felt that kantara didn’t live up to the hype it received. I have a pretty elaborate home theatre setup that is atleast as good as local multiplexes in terms of both audio and video, and I didn’t find any wow moment in the movie. I thought I was the odd man out
ece2k2 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 00:37   #3010
BHPian

Padavettu (malayalam) - Netflix : 2.5/5

Name:  images 57.jpeg
Views: 325
Size:  17.1 KB

It's a Malayalam language socio-political drama starring Nivin Pauli in lead role. Though the main thread of the movie is relevent to the current socio-political situation in India, the execution felt not upto the mark.
The movie fails to get me engaged into it. Nivin was good at parts but at places he was looking out of place.

Shammi thilakan was superb as always.

Kochaal (Malayalam) - Zee5 - 3.5/5

Name:  images 56.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  26.3 KB

Malayalam language investigation thriller. The movie have no big cast and takes first half in charector development, many of which have no significance in the movie, but changes the mood to a decent investigation thriller in second half. Worth a watch.
Asish_VK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 20:27   #3011
RRM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Kantara is a good movie with excellent last 15 minutes. That is it. It has many negatives. So called Varaha roopam song itself did not have that impact in the movie I was expecting.
Agree. The last 15 mins was the only highlight of the entire movie. Acted really well. The overall story was just OK. With all the hype made, I expected more

Last edited by RRM : 2nd December 2022 at 20:39.
RRM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 20:35   #3012
RRM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK;5448631

Kochaal (Malayalam) - Zee5 - 3.5/5

[ATTACH=images 56.jpeg
2385531[/ATTACH]

Malayalam language investigation thriller. The movie have no big cast and takes first half in charector development, many of which have no significance in the movie, but changes the mood to a decent investigation thriller in second half. Worth a watch.
Loved this movie. No big cast but everyone did well in the role. The story especially towards end asking the senior officer to find “how” was a twist for sure

Another Malayalam movie MONSTER released in Disney hotstar today. Mohanlal, Siddique etc in the role. The story was extremely weak and nothing great to speak about. Slightly twisted plot. 12th Man in comparison was better.

Monster - 2/5

Last edited by RRM : 2nd December 2022 at 20:37.
Old 3rd December 2022, 08:13   #3013
Distinguished - BHPian

Kooman-Malayalam-Asif Ali-Jeethu Joseph-Prime

Yet another thriller type movie from Jeethu Joseph. A genre he does very well. Asif Ali is a policeman and is seemingly good at the job. One would expect it to be a regular investigative thriller but does go off in unexpected directions. A good watch, won't get bored watching and Asif Ali is fantastic. On the down side, the 2nd half is a little bit of a let down compared to the first.

Rating : 3/5
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 23:06   #3014
RRM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Kooman-Malayalam-Asif Ali-Jeethu Joseph-Prime. One would expect it to be a regular investigative thriller but does go off in unexpected directions. A good watch, won't get bored watching and Asif Ali is fantastic. On the down side, the 2nd half is a little bit of a let down compared to the first.

Rating : 3/5
I loved this movie for the first half as well as the revenge sequences that he plots. Though second half was not bad but got dragged I felt. Overall experience in watching movie was very good

I would rate 3.5/5
Old 3rd December 2022, 23:20   #3015
BHPian

Kantara 0/5. Hated the movie, lewd behaviour by hero towards his mother and other girls being glorified.
heydj is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks