Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:20   #2911
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Unlikely local courts have such powers because then ANYBODY can misuse the system to stop screening a movie or parts of a movie, with a claim that story is copied or music is copied or dialogues are copied.
Kozhikode might be a small city compared to Bengaluru - but that isn't how these things work. If litigants try misusing the system, they will be rewarded enough - right? Time, money, reputation - all will be taken into consideration. That said, Mathrubhumi who owns copyright to Navarasam is already supposed to be in talks with Kantara team. This case is different though - the artists are party here who wants credits (not money). So, something might happen soon or later - hope justice will be served.
vinodvayyat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 13:51   #2912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
If it's running at a theatre near you, please watch : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21288778/ : Gandhada Gudi

It is not a "movie" - it is a documentary about Karnataka's nature and wildlife - but it stars a much loved star of our generation Dr Puneet Rajkumar. For those of you that have enjoyed Karnataka's natural bounty via treks, drives, jeep rides, safaris or just sitting taking in the rains from a resort on the ghats - it's a great opportunity to relive it all ( and discover new stuff ) via a great set of lens.
Watched the docudrama last night and it seems today is the last day for it at most cinemas/multiplexes, do watch if possible. The journey traces from Nagarahole to Gajanur to BRT tiger reserve to an elephant camp (Sakrebyle perhaps, but not sure ) to Netrani island to Gersoppa/Jog to Vijayanagara/Koppala to Dandeli/Pathagudi/Diggi - familiar places overall but the excellent cinematography raises the satisfaction levels.

At one point during a king cobra capture effort, Dr. Puneeth Rajkumar says " Is it safe to be around? I have many films riding on me and have a family to look after" - the irony and emotions as a watcher is depressing.

Do watch on the big screen.

Last edited by airguitar : 3rd November 2022 at 13:53.
airguitar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 10:01   #2913
Senior - BHPian

Ghost

Streaming: Netflix

:. I guess this sums it all. Nagarjuna should retire from playing lead roles now, the age is clearly seen. The dialogue punch is gone. I just happened to see this during a flight as I had no other option, I ended the 2 hrs in 30 mins so can imagine there is no plot to mention.

Avoid Avoid Avoid at all costs (unless you are a Naga fan)

Rating: 1/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 20:21   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Watched the docudrama last night and it seems today is the last day for it at most cinemas/multiplexes, do watch if possible. ...
Good reccomendation.

I watched it yesterday.
This is one movie that should be made a free watch for all school kids in the state. A popular film star talking about conservation and stopping littering for sure goes a long way to bring sensitivity to conservation.

The stunning visuals by Amoghavarsha makes the time fly by.

Here's a sample of this guy's amazing work:
whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 21:07   #2915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
This is one movie that should be made a free watch for all school kids in the state. A popular film star talking about conservation and stopping littering for sure goes a long way to bring sensitivity to conservation.
The producers too think so and therefore have reduced prices in single screen cinemas and multiplexes across the state; tickets will be priced at ₹56 & ₹112 respectively at these places. This will be valid from 7th to 10th November 2022.

The Regional movies thread!-img20221106wa0032.jpg

I think once the initial rush subsides, Government of Karnataka too will encourage schools to take their students to theatres, as has been done in many earlier instances.

Source: Social media
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 23:33   #2916
BHPian

Ponniyin Selvan Part1, Tamizh, Amazon Prime.

Having read the novel in school days, I was intrigued to watch the movie; but it turned-out to be a huge disaster.

Unsuitable Tamizh dialect, plasticky actors (baring Kundavai and Aazhvarkadiyan), no style, actors walking like going to the restroom, delivering dialogues like a school-play, pathetic music for the period, stage-like scenes and acting; just couldnt watch the movie at a stretch.

This novel needed a visionary like Rajamouli and not Mani Rathnam.

I am glad I skipped the theatres, would have walked-out after the first few min.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 6th November 2022 at 23:35.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 10:36   #2917
Distinguished - BHPian

Appan - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-screenshot-20221107-10.25.15-am.png

It's one of those movies that you wished that you didn't watch and never want to watch again (in a good way). Sort of a really toned down version of "Churuli". It's just a raw experience which is why Malayalam movies are getting noticed.
All acted pretty well but it was the mother that stood out in my opinion. Felt the movie was a bit long. Should have cut down a bit.

Not to everyone's taste.

Rating - 3.75/5 (SonyLiv)
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 11:38   #2918
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Anyway, 3.75/5... I'm really eager to understand how you arrived at this double decimal rating. If you've come to this figure I'm wondering if there is some kind of rating sheet that results in this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Easy, he must have a 20 points rating sheet. Each point is .25 worth.
Ha ha. Nothing significant. I went with high expctations. Film was engaging. Didn't notice how 2.5 hrs passed by. Once the film was over, It was all normal. It didn't get me thinking about the story again and again. May be there ware so many things happening so fast. Or may be I am not inclined towards the theme which is focused on diety or daiva. No offence to any one.
Hence my (just mine) rating was 3.75 . On the lines of my thought process, not comparing here, but let me give you an example - ' Manchester by the sea' movie is so dark and depressing. Still after watching that movie, It kept me thinking, what else could have actors done to change the narrative of story. The impact was so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, Rishab Shetty is a local talent in a way. That Keradi Kambala track (ಕೆರಾಡಿ ಕಂಬಳಗದ್ದೆ) does belong to his maternal family.

He trained for 6 months to reach the level where he would look natural behind the racing buffaloes. Gotta give credit for that. Having a Kambala track owned by the family really helped, I suppose.
Thanks for the info. Didn't knew it. Like they say - talent and smart work can get you there. But hard work will take you there eventually. For Rishab, its mix of Smartwork, Hardwork and talent all working in tandem and the results are the proof. Good luck to him.

Cheers
HTC
HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 19:26   #2919
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Ponniyin Selvan 1 on Prime 2 days ago.

Overall a well made movie. Unlike others here, I've not read the book it is based on or any other book. Also, I don't know much about Chola history apart from what I've read in School many years ago. So my impressions of it is just as a movie and nothing more.

Although the set is extravagant and a bit of exaggerated grandeur, the war sequences are still realistic and believeable. Thankfully Mani Ratnam has not spoilt it like how SSRajamouli has done in Bahubali. Same goes to the main male protagonists...although they are shown as strong men, they haven't conveyed that through laughable, physics-defying sequences like we see in Bahubali.

All the actors have expectedly done their roles quite well . With so many superstars in the cast, I liked how everyone have been given fair screen presence. Music from ARR is wonderful as usual. Some beautiful locations shown as Lanka are actually Thailand but they don't seem out of place. VFX could've been better. Aishwarya and Trisha don't seem to age at all! Some sequences of Aishwarya reminded me of Jodha Akbar!

Generally I watch movies in the original language but because my wife insisted I watched it in Kannada. In the end it was a good thing I felt. Due to the complexity of the plot and more importantly the relationships between the characters, I had to rewind and rewatch couple of sequences to understand even though it was in my own language It would've been tougher in Tamil. And the Dubbing was not too bad either. The story has been nicely built-up so that viewers look forward to the upcoming sequel. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

I'd rate this 4 out of 5

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 9th November 2022 at 19:40.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 21:56   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Appan - Malayalam

Attachment 2376317

It's one of those movies that you wished that you didn't watch and never want to watch again (in a good way). Sort of a really toned down version of "Churuli". It's just a raw experience which is why Malayalam movies are getting noticed.
All acted pretty well but it was the mother that stood out in my opinion. Felt the movie was a bit long. Should have cut down a bit.

Not to everyone's taste.

Rating - 3.75/5 (SonyLiv)
Agree to your ratings, I may give it a 4/5. Yes the acting is top class and the premise is raw. As you said, editing should've been more crisp.

Apart from the occasional abusive language, I don't think its anything like 'Churuli'. This is a more realistic representation of a traumatic experience of a family who is suffering the aftermath of a womanizer father figure.
I was glad that the movie did not glorify those acts & the father character did not end up becoming a changed man at the end

Highly recommended.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 00:25   #2921
Senior - BHPian

Jaya Jaya Jaya Jaya he - M - Theatre - 4/5

A very good movie. It released a while ago and didn’t really thought of watching it. But looking at the excellent ratings and more or less houseful shows running in the city, gave it a watch. Good acting by Basil and Darshana. A nice comedy film and good story. Must watch.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 10:16   #2922
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews for this movie?

Poochandi
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8176124/

It's on Netflix
Old 12th November 2022, 11:28   #2923
Distinguished - BHPian

Rorschach - Malayalam - Hotstar - Mammooty

A nice fairly creepy semi- supernatural thriller with some great performances. The theme, if a person has wronged you and died then how do you take revenge and get redemption. Nicely shot and great background score.

Mammooty nails the slighty deranged mysterious character who seems to have an agenda of his own. Another masterful performance from him. Ably supported by some great performances by Jagadeesh , Bindu Panikker , Grace Antony and Sharafudeen. The pace is a little slow which is the only major downside.

Rating: 3.5/5
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 13:59   #2924
BHPian

Name:  images 52.jpeg
Views: 238
Size:  59.1 KB

Rorschach - malayalam - Disney Hotstar - 4/5

Slow paced psychological supernatural thriller starring the great Mammootty.

If we look at the main plot, it's the age old revenge movie. But the treatment and visualisation is what sets this movie apart.

+Ves
  • Cinematography - one word , fabulous. The colour tone, the frames all add to the gritty & creepy feel to the plot.
  • Background Score - again superb.
  • Mammootty - Man, an absolute legend, who seems like have reinvented himself during the COVID break. What a performance. Subtle yet terrific.
  • Bindu panickar - Wow, she was something else. She portrayed the role to perfection. Her best performance yet.
  • Supporting cast - everyone did a fabulous job when comes to acting . Special mention to Kottayam Nazir, Jagatheesh & Sharafuddin

-Ves
  • Felt the movie needed few more cuts and little less of slow-motion scenes. Some places the movie lost the focus.
  • Mammootty chemistry with his wife - It can be a personal preference, but the pair did not felt convincing due to the age difference. A father-daughter combo might have been more impactful.

Overal a high quality movie, it was a surprise hit in Kerala, considering the experimental nature.

Highly recommended.
Asish_VK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 15:11   #2925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
So, something might happen soon or later - hope justice will be served.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I imagine there would be a delay while the band gets certified copies of the judgment and delivers it to all the parties to which it is applicable.
Looks like Youtube has taken down the song:

The Regional movies thread!-screenshot_1.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks