Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2019, 09:44   #1411
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Helen

The general reviews/responses were good and I was really looking forward to it. The movie is a survival thriller and you have tons of Hollywood movies based on similar lines. But for a debutant director and a not so experience lead female actor, it was a good watch.

It's available on Amazon Prime.

Rating - 3.5/5
Old 31st December 2019, 09:47   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

Avane Srimmanarayana - Guy Richie+Tarantino inspired kollywood wild west movie, which could have been very good with tighter screen play and story telling.

The Good - Rakshit Shetty. Comic timing and expressions are spot on. Also the BGM (very similar to Sherlock Holmes - Game of shadows).

The Bad - songs and sloppy story line. Too many random pieces that try to fit into the puzzle.

The Ugly - excruciatingly long movie. 100-110 minutes run time would have made this an awesome movie. Even before the intermission, you can feel the drag.

Overall Rating - 2.5/5
Wait for it to hit amazon prime.
Old 31st December 2019, 10:15   #1413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Avane Srimmanarayana - Guy Richie+Tarantino inspired kollywood wild west movie, which could have been very good with tighter screen play and story telling.
This is the first review of the Tamil version of the movie That I've read. Thanks.

But all my friends who watched in Kannada also have pretty much the same feedback about the length of the movie. Everyone have told that it's just a one-time watch. Will take your suggestion and watch it on Amazon Prime.
Old 31st December 2019, 12:12   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Saw Ujda Chaman on Prime, the movie for a change was better than original-Ondu Motteya kathe. They did make some tweaks and felt the screenplay was better and did not find them to drag at any point.
Old 31st December 2019, 13:01   #1415
BHPian

Matthu Vadalara (Telugu )

4.5/5

This small budget comic thriller flick gives more Bang for your buck.

The movie is exceptionally well written with a nifty script and well crafted characters.

All the actors performed well , while Satya takes the cake. His comic timing was incredible throughout the movie and he literally shouldered the movie from the beginning till the end.

Strengths :
Satya's Comedy
Script
Brilliant photography , especially the scuffle in the climax

Weakness :
Running Time

PS : The theme is inspired from BREAKING BAD & the director shrewdly credits his inspirations- Breaking Bad & other TV Series by leaving notes all over the movie. Also, it is impressive how the director uses pop references to Chiranjeevi & Balakrishna

I think all the movie buffs regardless of the language got to watch this.

Last edited by poised2drive : 31st December 2019 at 13:03.
Old 2nd January 2020, 19:27   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Asuran - 2/5:
As soon as 10 minutes into the story, I kinda knew how the rest of it would pan out and I only watched it to see what the hype was all about. Isn't a must watch for sure. Dhanush has played his part well but meh.
Watched it with my wife a second time and thought that Dhanush has played the role really well.

But I figured out why "I" didn't like the movie that much even the first time - Caste is not even mentioned in the movie. The whole movie revolves around the problems faced by lower castes from time immemorial but nobody mentions it and why they suffer the way they do!. They played it down by alluding to the problems as "family" problems. Was it by design by the director - sure! Easier to pussy-foot around the issue than face it headlong and face the wrath of caste warriors.

Reminds me of so many movies in the 80's that followed a similar strategy - portray caste issues as "family" and "financial" issues. Oh well.....
Old 8th January 2020, 16:25   #1417
BHPian

Movie: Avane Shriman Narayana

Language: Kannada

Date: 29-12-2019

We have been watching Indian cinema since time immemorial and the same monotonous storylines, jokes, songs etc continue time and again. So much so that, sometimes we get a feel that the film makers have run out of ideas and remaking old movies (and songs) has become the new “in” thing.

Avane Shriman Narayana, (meaning: Its him, Sriman Narayana), breaks all such barriers with a fresh set of story line, narration, music and overall presentation. Perhaps it is a rare case of an Indian movie which revolves around the context of the untamed wild west and Shetty brothers have excelled in every which way. This movie is a great attempt by an Indian cinema maker to overcome the regular ingredients of romance, action, sentiments etc., but create a new genre of strategic mind games. Whilst the storyline in itself is very much binding with suspense being maintained intact all throughout, the outstanding performance by the lead artist Rakshit Shetty, which gives hints of Jack Sparrow, along with the outstanding music and song numbers spruces up the viewer’s experience.

This particular number, ‘Hands up’ just gives goose bumps each time I hear.

When I play this number on my sound bar at home, my neighbour just does not stop drooling over it.

As the saying goes, a good presentation should be long enough to cover the subject and short enough to retain interest. The movie however, seems a tad too long and start loosing grip at places. It would not be out of place to suggest trimming down a good 20 minutes of content from the first half and 15 minutes of content, from the second half, this would have made the overall movie much crisper and help retain interest.

For out of box thinking, excellent music, rich cinematography, excellent performances from Rakshit Shetty, Achyut Kumar and many others, picturization and above all the overall presentation, I give it a generous 4.5/5.

-0.5 is just for the length of the movie.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 8th January 2020 at 16:33.
Old 8th January 2020, 16:35   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Mookajjiya Kanasugalu (Kannada)
Based on a Jnanapitha award winning 1968 Novel by Dr. Shivaram Karanth, this movie was a good way to end my weekend.
Will this be available in Prime(or any other App) sometime later?
Old 10th January 2020, 18:31   #1419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Will this be available in Prime(or any other App) sometime later?
No idea. May be

Kathasangama (Kannada)

Warning: long review

It's not a single feature-length story but a collection of 7 short 20-minute stories. A concept similar to Bollywood's Dus kahaniyaan. Rishabh shetty's vision and a dedication to legendary director Puttana Kanagal...it's a beautiful collection. Happy to see more and more such movies in Kannada cinema industry. The new breed of actors and directors are doing a great job. I know it won't attract huge crowds as much as the mass movies do but wish it does. All 7 stories are beautifully presented with wonderful camera work and excellent BGM. In such stories, the messages we see in them are more important than the narration of the story itself. 150 minutes of thought provoking movie time. Overall 4/5 and below are individual reviews and ratings

Rainbow land:
Beautiful depiction of a nuclear family in Bengaluru and how a dad tries his best to fulfill a wish the wish of his 4-6 year old daughter. The message I saw in that: 1. "All your efforts may be spoilt by factors not in your control, but a good intention will always succeed, may be in some other form" and 2. "There is colour in the otherwise grey Bengaluru, you should only see it." 4/5

Sathya katha prasanga:
A story of a 60yr old person who's lived all his life for his family foregoing himself. The message: 1. "It's never too late to live your life your way" and 2. "Enjoy today...kya pata, Kal ho na ho" 3.5/5

Girgitle:
A fictional story where a person can start a day all over again by falling into the sea. Camera work and attention to detail is amazing. The astrology symbol depicting congress and a grocery bag showing BJP. The shadow movement showin the progress of the day are 2 examples. It is a fun story. Message: "Make corrections whenever you get opportunities to do so" 3/5

Uttara:
A story about how the current social-media world has taken over our lives...literally. A father who has lost his son trying to take revenge against someone whose indirectly responsible for that death. Message: "Social media is good but be very careful of the traps laid all around. It can be dangerous too." 4.5/5

Paduvarahalli:
A nice story set in the British-India era. A Barber who is also an informer to an extremist group who's caught in two minds whether to slit the throat of a police officer who has come to him for a shave or do justice to his profession. The message: "Just do your job and be honest to it." 4/5

Saagarasangama:
A phyciatrist who's presenting a PhD thesis on Judgemental Heuristics Psychology but herself judges another person just based on his appearance. Message: "You may be a subject matter expert but still a novice would've better ideas. Don't be Judgemental." 4.5/5

Lachhavva:
A story of an innocent village lady who is forced to migrate to Bengaluru and gets lost in the city. The message: 1."Villages are dying and more and more people are migrating to the city and getting lost!" and 2."there are still helpful people around in the city". 4/5
Old 11th January 2020, 22:05   #1420
Distinguished - BHPian

Darbar - Rating - 2/5
An average story with below average acting and screenplay. Unnecessary songs plugged in because the female lead needs to have some screen time. Even Rajani seems a little subdued when compared to his performance in Petta. Better to watch it when it hits prime.
Old 13th January 2020, 00:25   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Darbar - Rating - 2/5
An average story with below average acting and screenplay. Unnecessary songs plugged in because the female lead needs to have some screen time. Even Rajani seems a little subdued when compared to his performance in Petta. Better to watch it when it hits prime.
Saw this movie on Friday and second almost every word of your review. Don't even watch it in Prime/Netflix too. Too bad.
My rating : 1/5

P.S: I feel Rajani should stop doing action oriented movies and act more in a patriarchal role.
Old 14th January 2020, 19:47   #1422
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Darbar (Tamil) - 4/5 - you can't question/ask for justification for a Rajni movie rating

Amazingly fit at 70 years, only he can carry off such a role with ease. Anirudh's music is loud, blaring and unbearable at times, and just the title track is worth a listen.

For Rajni fans it's a must watch, just for all the screen time he hogs and his screen presence. Nothing new in the story, again as I said, watch it just for the Super Star

If you go with no great expectations, no comparisons with any of his other movies and just enjoy the moment, you will most likely not be disappointed.

Last edited by NPV : 14th January 2020 at 19:53.
Old 14th January 2020, 21:17   #1423
BHPian

Watched "Aa karala ratri" (Kannada) out of curiosity on Hotstar after it won the State film award 2018 for the best film. Excellent acting by all the actors. Liked the camera work and lighting as well.

Wikipedia link mentions this film was based on the story "The Return of the Soldier". It also mentions,

Quote:
Senior director S. K. Bhagavan had revealed that during the making of 1978 Kannada movie Shankar Guru, he had narrated this story to matinee idol Rajkumar.The film was planned to be shot in Ladakh and some preparation was undertaken, but in the end Rajkumar backed out as he felt the story was too dark.
Rating : 4/5

Last edited by AltoLXI : 14th January 2020 at 21:20.
Old 14th January 2020, 22:05   #1424
BHPian

Surprised that noone has mentioned Driving License (Malayalam) yet!

Quite a normal masala entertainer. Decent performances by Suraj & Prithiviraj! Quite a cast of cars also in the movie, unusual in a Mollywood movie - LC Prado, 7 Series, Panamera etc!

Rating - 3/5
Old 20th January 2020, 11:31   #1425
Distinguished - BHPian

Anjaam Pathira

I took this as any other murder investigation thriller, but the reviews were going bonkers. Some even claimed it to be one of the best investigative thrillers.

Coming to the movie, it does start pretty well and keeps you guessing. But felt the later part of second half was all too common (seen in the usual investigative thrillers). Shyju Khalid does a good job with the visuals and show some amazing drone shots of Kochi. BGM was very similar to "Virus"Although the lead characters did the role well, I felt some of the other characters deserved a better cast (female cop, villain). Anyhow, it's definitely a good film (something along the lines of "Memories") but definitely not upto "Mumbai Police", "7th day" etc. Not considering "Drishyam" since that's totally in a different league.

Definitively, a must watch movie.

Rating - 4/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks