Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2019, 21:44   #1261
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Saw Athiran (Malayalam - Fahadh Faasil & Sai Pallavi) on Saturday. Decent-ish, that captivated for the most part. The location+cinematography I think is the best part of the movie. We could predict the twist about an hour into the movie (I think the cinematography sort of gave it away).

Fahadh is good+, Sai Pallavi is passable+, rest of the cast is earnest. I loved the character played by Nandu - his accent and all. :-) Atul Kulkarni and Shanti Krishna are wasted. Prakash Raj has nothing to do. Lena's vamp act is jarring. The revelation for me was Renji Panicker. Loose ends galore. Didn't quite understand the point of Sudev Nair's character.

Don't read the Wikipedia article on the movie; it has spoilers.

The movie is primarily a win for Fahadh Faasil and the location scout.

Athiru (അതിര്) is Malayalam for boundary/border; Athiran probably means "the man from beyond". Which is apt in the context of the movie.
Old 30th April 2019, 00:23   #1262
BHPian

Oru Yemandan Prema Katha

Watched this movie today. Was planning to watch it on Wednesday, being a public holiday, but ended up accidentally booking for today at 3:30. The theatre was almost empty with hardly 20 people for the show.

Coming to the movie, was average. The story line is very loose and unrealistic. The first half is kind of engaging with the multitude of comedy by Soubin, Vishnu and co. Dulquer did his part well and is well within his comfort zone. Standout for me was Vishnu. I had loved him in Kattappanayile Hrithik Roshan, and he was great in this one as well. Did full justice to his character.

Rating 3/5

Not worth watching in theatres, but a good casual watch at home with friends/family.
Old 1st May 2019, 20:32   #1263
BHPian

Kavaludari - (Kannada : Suspense Thriller) - My Ratings : 4/5

One of the few movies in Kannada I liked, after a long time.
Very engrossing, fast-paced (especially first half).
Go watch it, it won't disappoint you!

IMDB - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7109900
Old 3rd May 2019, 18:24   #1264
BHPian

Watched " Uyare"

Well crafted move with a good script.Absorbing from beginning to end.

Parvathy has done a great job so has Asif Ali and Tovino Thomas.

The story in my opinion could have been a little more researched . Maybe I am hyper critical because I work in Aviation, but the way they have portrayed the role of Air Traffic Control in the film is outright ridiculous and insulting to a profession who works away from the public limelight, with very high stress levels yet is a vital cog in aviation safety. The pilot training part was researched well though.

Last edited by TKMCE : 3rd May 2019 at 18:25.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 00:47   #1265
BHPian

Oru Yamandan Prema katha.

Watched it and have to say it was Oru Yamandan Bore katha. Maybe the expectations was way too high with the movie from the same writers of Amar Akbar Antony and Kattapanayile Hrithik roshan. And with a cast of Dulquer, Salim kumar, Soubin, Vishnu (Hrithik Rosan fame), Dharmajan etc. So was expecting a laugh riot start to end. But the overall movie was no where close to the earlier ones neither in story line or comedy.

First none of the characters other than Dulquers was developed beyond the first step. Soubin as Vicky Peedika had this name but nothing beyond that. Hareesh Kannaran as tea stall owner had a calculation problem and the same joke was repeated multiple times. The non-existent singing skills of Vishnu as a blind handicapped singer was also repeated. Felt like he was trying to create a comedy effect with his handicapped style of running and walking. Dharmajan as a lazy village bum was also repeated like anything. And some of the characters like Baiju as police officer, Pradeep kottyam (thakarthu, thimirthu, kidukki fame) never had a chance to go beyond a certain point. Most of these characters were actually not required.

For some reason felt it was a full fledged DQ movie which he coudnt carry off well as he couldnt handle the comedy timings that well. And his supporting comedian actors dint have much to help him out. And writers just used some unconnected comic elements here and there to some how fill up the story.

My ratings - 1.5 /5

FundaG
Old 5th May 2019, 10:07   #1266
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched both yamadan premakatha and uyare.

Yamadan was a silly film. Looks like DQ wanted to try something in the comic massy mode. Did not have much expectations so felt it an ok watch. More of a DVD watch I would say.

Uyare was very good. Great acting all around. Especially liked Siddique. Several cinematic liberties, but can be forgiven considering the overall impact.

Liking Malayalam cinema this year. Several wonderful films already.
Old 5th May 2019, 17:13   #1267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Liking Malayalam cinema this year. Several wonderful films already.
Yes, yesterday watched this little gem (of a movie) called June. Just brilliant! 4.5/5
Old 6th May 2019, 00:12   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Kavaludari - (Kannada : Suspense Thriller)

One of the few movies in Kannada I liked, after a long time.
Very engrossing, fast-paced (especially first half).
Go watch it, it won't disappoint you!
Watched Kavaludari today.

Was expecting better from the film and it could have definitely been better. The suspense built up in the first half was not matched with a riveting climax but instead turned into a cliched politician bashing ending. Somehow felt the last 30 minutes had quite a few unwanted / unrelated scenes.

Anant Nag and Achyuth kumar have, as usual, given a good performance.

Rating : 3/5.
Old 6th May 2019, 09:38   #1269
Distinguished - BHPian

Over the weekend, I caught up watching quite a few good movies in Kannada and Malayalam.

Kavaludaari - Kannada:

2 main reasons we went ahead and watched this flick in a theatre: Hemant Rao and his impeccable direction of "Godhi Banna....." and a cast that included Anant Nag and few others like Achyutha Kumar who are always amazing to watch on screen with their acting skills.

The story of the movie as a whole is inclined towards a crime that takes place in he 70s and the director manages to depict this flawlessly giving us the pleasure to get into nostalgic mode of eastman color, bell bottom trousers, Dial type landline phones and above all, the Hindustan Ambassador and Premier Padmini!

Overall, the movie keeps you engrossed with twists quite frequently. One actor who takes it all with this simple yet tough acting is Rishi who was perhaps underutilized in his first move (Operation Almelamma). Rishi as a Traffic Cop acts as one and delivers it nearly to perfection without giving us a feel that he is the "Hero" of the movie. I won't talk about any other actors as most of the other roles were limited except Achyutha Kumar who as always was dominant as the lead cast (the cop).

Anant Nag is always a treat to watch right from my school days. I am glad he is getting some awesome roles to enact in the last few movies he was part of.

Overall, I would rate this movie 4/5 for story telling, editing and cinematography. The Plot is unusual which is quite OK but the way things unfold perhaps takes too much of cinematic liberty that there are quite a few questions you would ask as to how easy it was for the cop to shoot someone or a common man to disguise and hand over a cup of poisoned drink to the someone who occupies the highest position in the state cabinet or a servant who was shown as someone with no education to grow up and become the editor of a crime daily!!

Otherwise, the movie is all good. Go watch it as this might probably be the last week it should be in theatres.

Njan Prakashan - Malayalam

I have been a fan of Malayalam Movies from school days even though I dont entirely manage to follow the language. But subtitles and Doordarshan Sunday noon regional movies always helped .

This one came up as a suggestion on my Netflix and after watching this, I was certainly moved. Like Maheshinte Pradikaram, here too Fahad manages to pull out yet another brilliant performance of a common man. I simply cannot think of anyone else who today can look so simple, talk soft and without any dancing or fighting skills manage to leave an impression of what a common man's mind goes through.

In this movie, Fahad is shown as one greedy and selfish Malayaaali with big dreams to achieve but with shortcuts. He tries quite a few times but fails and a life changing event (or rather assignment) as a male nurse where he gets into this amazing, emotional, friendly and professional connect with the patient that he has to deal with. Few events in this movie really move you as it did to me!

There is nothing special in this movie - The story is nothing extraordinary but the way its portrayed and delivered is what makes it different. You will realise it only once you watch it.

I rate this 5/5 because there is nothing I recollect in this movie that could have been better because it was that simple yet hard-hitting!!

Sudani From Nigeria - Malayalam:

I watched this one soon after I finished watching Njan.... and it was delightful watch too. Soubin Shahir and Samuel Abiola Robinson steal the show but more importantly its Soubin who takes away the cake.

I learnt later that the old mothers Savithri Sredharan and Sarasa Balussery are veteran theatre artists and while watching the movie I could sense that they come with immense theatrical background.

The Plot of the story was less sports but more on how we Indians treat foreign guests even today, especially in small towns and villages, even when you are under the worst financial state. Humanity, Humility, Hospitality, Love, respect and simplicity - These attributes sum up the movie.

I have loved watching Malayalam movies for their simplicity and this one does not disappoint you in any way.

Personally, I would rate this 5/5 too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th May 2019 at 09:53.
Old 6th May 2019, 15:40   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Fahad manages to pull out yet another brilliant performance of a common man.
Few other Fahad movies I love watching are Varathan, Iyobinte Pusthakam, Kumbalangi Nights.
Old 6th May 2019, 17:14   #1271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Few other Fahad movies I love watching are Varathan, Iyobinte Pusthakam, Kumbalangi Nights.
I have watched Lyobinte Pusthakam after Gannu_1 recommended and loved it too. Next one is for sure Kumbalangi Nights.
Old 6th May 2019, 20:45   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have watched Lyobinte Pusthakam after Gannu_1 recommended and loved it too. Next one is for sure Kumbalangi Nights.
Then you should like Varathan too. Varathan means an outsider coming to stay in a locality. Even though some say it's a copy of an English movie, I was totally engrossed by the plot and the take. Kumbalangi Nights has less of Fahad and more of others though he has done a terrific cameo. Kumbalangi is a feel good movie.

Last edited by thoma : 6th May 2019 at 20:46.
Old 7th May 2019, 20:14   #1273
Senior - BHPian

I would add 'Thondimuthalum driksaakshiyum' also to the list.

What a way to make a great movie out of a very simple story line. Fahad really excels in such roles as well.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th May 2019 at 04:47. Reason: Added quotes to the name of the movie for better visibility.
Old 7th May 2019, 20:21   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I would add thondimuthalum driksaakshiyum also to the list.
Sure, but I skipped mentioning it because he is in a negative role and there is not much dialogues from him. One another good one, though a bit old, is Oru Indian Pranayakadha.
Old 8th May 2019, 04:48   #1275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I watched Varathan, and absolutely loved it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks