Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2018, 07:31   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Watched Varathan couple of weeks back. Typical Amal Neerad style. Many had said, that the movie is slow to pick up pace in the first half. But I thought it was built up nicely.
The best part is of course the last 30mins or so. Over the top - yes, but Fahad makes it worth.

Not sure though if I can agree with the over all premise of the movie where everyone in that village seemed to be a pervert.

Last edited by vibbs : 5th October 2018 at 07:34.
Old 5th October 2018, 10:49   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Team, what are the recent must watch Malayalam, Tamil & Telugu family type movies. I dont follow Telugu much but still watch with family.

Want the kids to be connected to the language and culture. Big issue when you are abroad.
(focusing on movies where this is some takeaway for kids or kids will enjoy)

2018 Movies
  • Sudani from Nigeria
  • Hey Jude
  • Aravindanthe Athithikal
  • Jomonte Suvisheshangal
  • Minnaminingu
  • Parava
  • Njandukalude Naatil oru edavela
  • Aadu 2

I have found that my daughter is enjoying old classics. Some of the timeless comedies that still make you laugh
  • Kilukkam
  • Yodha
  • Chitram
  • Nadodikkattu series
  • Ramji Rao Speaking and so on..
Old 6th October 2018, 19:09   #1113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Even I watched this movie recently and liked it. Nice message delivered with a dash of dark-humour.

Being a "probashi" Bengali, I unfortunately never got much taste of Bengali movies or literature. Trying to change that a bit by watching Bengali movies. Especially with quality content on Prime Videos and Hotstar, it's getting easier to watch/follow.

Some of the movies I have recently watched are:
  1. Jaatishwar - My favourite out of the lot. Fantastic movie with excellent story, acting and songs. A must watch for everyone.
  2. Hemlock Society - described above
  3. Uma - a nice story with a good mixture of emotions and a bit of masala. Overall a good watch.
  4. Baishe Srabon - Excellent thriller. Won't reveal much about it.
  5. Khaad - A good commentary on life.
  6. Macher Jhol - Good one time watch.
  7. Meghe Dhaka Tara (2013) - A bit too artistic for me. Watched it as my dad used to be a follower of Ritwik Ghatak.
  8. Nirbashito - Beautiful story about a writer in exile and her pet cat. Based on Taslima Nasreen's life.
  9. Cinemawala - I have pretty much become a fan of Kaushik Ganguly (not sure if it's because we share the same last name ) Captures the conflict between the past and present beautifully.
Hello Biraj, what a splendid surprise hearing from you again! So did you get to make that trip to Uttaranchal or - as often happens to all of us, to me certainly! - the exigencies of life keep getting in the way? Our trips to Naukuchiatal continue but with reduced frequency.

It was very pleasant getting your msg, and I must confess to sharing similar sentiments. Being another Probashi Bengali, it was only later in life (I am embarrassed to admit that Zee Bangla had a good deal to do with it!) that an affinity for things Bengali began to grip both of us, including of course Bhapa Shorshe Ilish! And the result (as you have highlighted) is a great sense of enjoyment as the nuances of the language (and what a language!) begin to filter through!

Baishe Shrabon was a great watch and Macher Jhol was pleasant too. And so was another culinary surprise - Tok, Jhal, Mishti.
And what I'm really beginning to enjoy are some of the serials too, even tho' they are mostly light entertainment - Bokul Kotha, Bhoomi Kanya, Byomkesh Bakshi (the earlier serial starring Gourav Chakravorty)

I must admit though that I like my Bengali screen watches to be straight entertainment - humour, mystery, romance (not historical), thrillers and ghost stories. Anything convoluted & overtly cerebral - like most art house films are - are therefore usually avoided.

I shall try to catch up on the other titles you named & which I missed. Thanks again.
Old 7th October 2018, 17:57   #1114
Distinguished - BHPian

Varathan

Rajeev and Vibbs have commented what I have to say but I found it to be slow. Of course the acting, camera and BGM did a good job but overall the movie was not to my expectation (might be because I do watch a lot of English movies similar to this ).

Rating - 2/5
Old 8th October 2018, 17:21   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Watched the Tamil movie '96 last evening. Such a soul-touching movie. With limited characters, a plot without much twists or turns, without any action scenes this movie is all about the lead pair's love story. The music is a really important character in the movie and takes the story forward and makes the audience connect with the movie so well. Vijay Sethupathi and Trisha have given the performance that the movie asks for and nothing more. Haven't seen a more realistic and classy film like this in ages.

If you were a 80's or 90's kid, then lots of nostalgic moments await you through the journey of this movie. Most of the movie happens through one rainy night, and the movie really will tug your heart's strings if you ever had a school-time crush. And if you din't the movie still connects and makes you want to feel the love between the lead pair - that is the beauty of the movie. Kudos to the director, for such a strong debut.

My Rating - 4.5/5
Old 8th October 2018, 17:37   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Watched the Tamil movie '96
This movie is the perfect example of how a good screenplay can lift a movie. There's literally nothing in the story and probably has been told a million times, and the scenario itself is not realistic. It is how the story was told, that set it apart. Clever dialogues, usage of songs of the times and the small 'Rashomon effect' piece left me impressed. This would easily be Trisha's career best role. After a disappointing run-in with Chekka Chevantha Vaanam the previous week, this was an unexpected surprise
Old 15th October 2018, 10:47   #1117
BHPian

Hello people,

Watched Aravinda Sametha Veera Raghava (Telugu) movie yesterday. Story and Direction by Trivikram starring NTR Jr and Pooja Hegde. Jagapathi Babu is the antagonist. All the actors pulled off their respective roles amazingly.

The story starts off at a very slow pace and slowly picks up steam by the interval. Post interval, the movie continues with the momentum. Overall its a different kind of film as per Trivikram standards and a good flick. Cinematography and music was good too.
Old 15th October 2018, 11:34   #1118
Distinguished - BHPian

Kayamkulam Kochunni- Malayalam- Nivin Pauly.: A period tale based on the life of Kochunni, who was a Robinhood style thief in the early 19th Century. Movie has taken a huge opening and is a big success.

I felt it was a good movie and worth watching, but have the feeling that it could have been so much better. Somehow seemed a little shallow. So while you can watch through without getting bored, somehow you dont empathize with most of the characters. Nivin has done a pretty good job, but the show stealers were Mohanlal in a 15 min Cameo and Babu Antony as the Kalaripayattu Master.

Rating: 3/5

U-Turn- Tamil version- Have been wanting to watch the Kannada Original for a long time now. Never got around to it. When the Tamil Version popped up on Amazon Prime decided to finally watch it. Pretty impressive movie. Keeps the thrills and the atmosphere and the background music adds to it.

Rating: 3.5/5

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 15th October 2018 at 11:38.
Old 15th October 2018, 17:17   #1119
BHPian

Watched Pariyerum Perumal this weekend. One of the finest caste based mainstream movies Tamil cinema has seen in a very long time. No fake macho bravado, david vs goliath story this - This is a much deeper movie, talking of the humiliation and emotional turmoil faced by the protagonist. And there are some sparkling scenes which remain with you long after the movie is done.

Watch it specifically for - Story, Music and BGM, Dialogues & nuances.

This for me is the MUST watch tamil movie of this year.
Old 15th October 2018, 17:52   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Guys any one seen kayankulam kochunni?
Wanted to hear some reviews before heading out
Old 15th October 2018, 18:41   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Guys any one seen kayankulam kochunni?
Wanted to hear some reviews before heading out
Check RajeevRaj's post above.
Old 19th October 2018, 09:01   #1122
BHPian

Sandakozhi 2, tamizh starring Vishal Reddy - nothing as good as the original sandakozhi, give a miss unless You are Vishal's fan.
Old 20th October 2018, 23:22   #1123
BHPian

VadaChennai, tamizh starring Dhanush - if You loved Pudhupettai, You will Love this even more. Though the first half is a drag, second half makes up for it big time.

Cant wait for the second part (oops).
Old 28th October 2018, 03:29   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Kayamkulam Kochunni- Malayalam:

I felt the movie was watchable, but somehow not satisfying. Maybe it's a problem with my own expectations. Having read the Kochunni story many times in my childhood, I was expecting an action-packed movie. Instead the first half deals entirely with Kochunni's life before he became a thief and it just felt far too long to me. The second half makes up for it to an extent, but still I failed to connect with the characters. In the end, it was a case of what could have been.
Old 28th October 2018, 05:56   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Kayamkulam Kochunni- Malayalam:

I am not a Malayali myself but watched the movie with my Malayali friends. They have heard the story several times or read them in childhood and so it was not so fascinating to them as it was for me. I went to the movie with least expectations and I definitely liked the movie story and cast. Somehow I felt Mohanlal overdid his act though and Nivin does not appear fit enough ( rather appears plump) to justify the stunts shown on the movie, especially the fighting practice. IMHO to someone who has no whiff of kochunni's story it's a recommended watch for one time, at least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks