Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2021, 10:08   #1861
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

I managed to catch Nayattu yesterday. Like Benbsb said, this could very well be something that can happen. Brings to life on how the police top brass really would manage such situations where they have to face tough decisions involving politicians, public and fellow colleagues.

The acting is top notch.

There is one more beautiful Tamil movie that brings about the dark side of the police, VISARANAI. This is based on a true story. It’s a fantastic one to watch.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 12:54   #1862
BHPian

The Disciple (Marathi)

Name:  Disciple.png
Views: 1333
Size:  355.5 KB

Chaitanya Tamhane has directed one of my favourite movies: Court. So I was really looking forward to watching The Disciple. And it’s incredible.

This isn’t for everyone. It’s quiet, layered, reflective and leaves a lot of things unsaid. The basic plot is about a young khayal singer, Sharad Nerulkar, going through the rigours of training. His guru is uncompromising and his spiritual mentor, Maai, whose voice recordings he listens to demands a purity of approach that is almost unachievable. As time passes, Sharad begins to question this approach and wonders whether it will ultimately lead him to what he desires from life.

The acting is top notch. I know very little about classical music but some of the passages raised goosebumps. You need to use a good sound system to get the best out of the film. There are many layers which are almost always left unsaid so you need to be watching with focus and with time on your hands. I’m going to be rewatching this several times.

A wonderful film from a brilliant director. It's on Netflix.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 15:30   #1863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Nayattu -Malayalam (Netflix)

Attachment 2154040

I had seen the trailer for this one prior to release, and was looking forward to it. It surely does not disappoint!

The best part of this movie is how realistic it is. The story as portrayed in this movie can easily be an event in any town/society, and the manner in which situations escalate felt so real, it had us hooked. Kunchako was his usual understated self, while Joju was quite endearing. Nimisha did her role as she does, evoking a comment from my wife on how there aren’t many other actresses around at the moment who can be so simple, and so real!

I highly recommend this one for its edge of the seat feeling, yet making us feel this could happen to anyone involved.
4/5 from me.
Watched it last night. A gripping, well made film, not a single moment of drag or overacting. Joju's performance was top notch. One can wonder if such a minor incident can trigger a high level political drama putting senior policeman in risk, but its not uncommon. A film that excels in all departments from script, acting, background, photography.
vivek_lo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 18:00   #1864
Distinguished - BHPian

Back to back releases for Kunchako Boban. Came with one day gap in theaters and same one day gap in Netflix and Prime.

Nayattu: As already reviewed above a realistic thriller with 3 policemen having to go on the run due to an incident and the politics around it. A good watch with some great performances. Rating 4/5..

The original subtitler Vivek Ranjit had put a series of tweets saying how Netflix has modified the sub titles and made it lose the contextual meaning in many places. Was tracking this after reading these tweets and I too felt the same when looking at the subtitles and the actual context.

Nizhal Amazon Prime. Kunchako along with Nayantara. Yet another thriller centered around a little boy seeming to know about murders that happened. An interesting premise and was watchable. Some downsides , but not putting those here. Rating: 3/5
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 14:31   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Teddy (Tamil) - Disney+ Hotstar - Rating : 3/5

Not sure if anyone got a chance to watch this flick. It is a different type of subject and a fantasy plot and a theme on organ transplant. I liked it and Arya played a charming role. Hats off to the makers to try a different genre. Several silly mistakes but entertaining.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 00:08   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Teddy (Tamil) - Disney+ Hotstar - Rating : 3/5

Not sure if anyone got a chance to watch this flick. It is a different type of subject and a fantasy plot and a theme on organ transplant. I liked it and Arya played a charming role. Hats off to the makers to try a different genre. Several silly mistakes but entertaining.
There was Mat Damon movie called Ted. Similar character, but the story lines are different.

It is between Kids and Adult movie, I dint like it much though. Too many Doctor, Organ scam movies nowadays.
Old 14th May 2021, 16:46   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Just watched Nayattu (Malayalam). Did they forget to attach the climax thread?. Sorry, did not mean to be spoilsport here, but seriously? Such a good gripping story they came up with but finally...

Or did I miss something. Let me think again!!

Last edited by balenoed_ : 14th May 2021 at 16:56.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 16:53   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Just watched Nayattu (Malayalam). Did they forget to attach the climax thread?. Sorry, did not mean to be spoilsport here, but seriously? Such a good gripping story they came up with but finally...
Spoilers are not allowed here but the ending is realistic to me. There is a clear winner and loser in line with what happens around us
ashishy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 16:53   #1869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Such a good gripping story they came up with but finally...
I was also expecting a climax but then realised that the rest of the movie depicts what happens in reality, in dirty politics and the ending was real too.
Old 14th May 2021, 17:29   #1870
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Cinemabandi, a new Telugu flick that popped up on Netflix. Story about an auto driver in a village who finds an expensive camera left behind by someone and then attempts to make a movie with a bunch of his friends and villagers in the hope of getting fame and money for solving their own and the villages problems.

A very nice feel good movie. Funny as well as thought provoking. Rating 4/5
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 21:51   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Watched Cinemabandi, a new Telugu flick that popped up on Netflix. Story about an auto driver in a village who finds an expensive camera left behind by someone and then attempts to make a movie with a bunch of his friends and villagers in the hope of getting fame and money for solving their own and the villages problems.

A very nice feel good movie. Funny as well as thought provoking. Rating 4/5
Thanks for the recommendation, it was a good watch and everyone at family enjoyed this. Sure, it throws light on the dreams and aspirations of villagers.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 22:15   #1872
Senior - BHPian

[Nizhal - Malayalam, Prime Video]

A 7-year old kid starts talking about hidden corpses in places he has never been to. A judge suffering from PTSD takes an interest in the kid and finds out that he's spot on. The judge and the kid's mother strike up a friendship and they try to unravel the mystery. For the most part, it held my attention. Unfortunately the movie totally lost me towards the climax when a completely unnecessary character was introduced. I'd cut 2 stars just for that lazy deus ex machina.

A movie to which I found parallels is Utharam (The Solution, 1989) from the prolific MT-Mammootty collaboration.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 08:07   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Karnan, Tamil, on Amazon Prime. 3.5/5.

The movie is apparently based on a real life incident in the 90s and at the core it talks about oppression due to Caste divisions. The rural setting, supporting actors are as real as they can get. Very well made.
Dhanush does it again, he manages to bring the character to its fore, but to me the stand out actor was Lal, one of the most under rated actors we have in the south.

Two things that I probably did not like, one was some of the typical hero slow motion shots. In a movie like this it could have been avoided, but I guess it had to be done else the common folks would lose interest in a movie like this. And second was that some scenes were a bit too dramatic, could have been a bit subtle.

There is a fair amount of violence, but it’s as real as it can get.

For sure this is one of the better Tamil movies off late. Hats off to Dhanush and the Director for executing a movie that breaks all stereotypes associated with commercial cinema.
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 12:15   #1874
BHPian

Karnan - Tamil

Watched the movie last night on Prime. Hats off to Dhanush and the director Mari Selvaraj (his second movie). Very realistic but bits of masala here and there. Again based on a true incident which happened.

Would like to give credit to the antagonist Natraj who has done an amazing role as a Police SP. Even though he comes only during the last stages of the movies, he has done an amazing job. In a recent interview he was talking about fans calling him and abusing him for his role in the movie.

Overall a good watch and it does leave you with mixed feelings about the atrocities faced by certain communities.
Satish Pari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 14:14   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Karnan- didn't like the movie. Lengthy, boring and even though based on true story, numerous films have been made and similar lines. Acting from Dhanush was top though.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks