Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2021, 15:57   #1876
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Gumnaami - Bengali

A very-well directed tale dwelving into Netaji's disappearance - probably modern India's greatest political mystery. Recounts the events leading upto the Mukherjee commission report and how political bigwigs across party lines have deliberately refused to accept well-researched findings.
Even non-Bengalis can understand the plot well through the subtitles and a large part of the dialogues are in English/Hindi. Acting is top-notch, fast paced and a lovely track by Sonu Nigam - a very good watch.

Imdb - 7.8
Watch it on - Disney Hotstar Premium
smukherjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 19:58   #1877
Distinguished - BHPian

Cinema Bandi- Telugu
OTT- Netflix

This movie released just a couple of days ago and based on a movie review group I follow who reviewed this to be a must watch, I caught up on it.

After a real long time, I enjoyed a movie so much. Unknown actors, unique and funny theme makes for a hilarious and wonderful watch.

An auto driver finds an expensive camera in his auto (forgotten by a passenger) and he decides to make a movie with his friend casting all oddball characters from his village.

What ensues is a combination of laugh a riot as well as moments that is full of innocence and naivety of villagers.

I understand telugu to some extent but, the dialect in this movie is complicated as it seemed like mix of Kannada (I know this language as well) so subtitles will help.

Must Watch (4.5/5)
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 20:24   #1878
BHPian

Operation Java - Malayalam
Platform - Zee5
Must Watch (4/5)

Excellent debut by the director. The movie is about two guys working temporarily with the cyber cell to tackle cyber crimes. When i saw the trailer earlier, i thought it was going to be a ripoff of 'Jamtara'. But it wasnt, this movie shows a number of incidents which seems to be inspired from various incidents of cyber crime reported from across the country in the past decade.

Both Balu Varghese and Lukman Avaran are impressive. The cyber cell team also does a good job especially Irshad, Binu Pappu and Prasanth Alexander. Vinayagan, who is there for a short time, is brilliant. Shine Tom Chacko has also done his job well.
kap04 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 21:20   #1879
Distinguished - BHPian

^Operation Java is a very good watch. Rating 4/5.

Unfortunately it is streaming without subtitles in ZEE5 which is very strange. Hope they add the sub titles so that non kerala audience can also enjoy this movie. As good as some of the other highly rated recent releases. Many of the cyber incidents mentioned also really happened.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 04:05   #1880
Senior - BHPian

Watched Nayattu yesterday and Operation Java today. Both are super movies and I rate 4/5 for each. A must watch.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 07:47   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Cinema Bandi- Telugu
OTT- Netflix

I understand telugu to some extent but, the dialect in this movie is complicated as it seemed like mix of Kannada (I know this language as well) so subtitles will help.

Must Watch (4.5/5)
Yes, the Telugu dialect is of the Karnataka border. Infact, this movie is shot entirely in a village Gollapalli, which is in Karnataka.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 10:19   #1882
BHPian

Karnan - Amazon Prime

Mari Selvaraj, the director wanted to bring out a Asuran'isque film from Dhanush. I was excited to watch it on Prime and what a waste of time it was. Dhanush who usually excels in these type of roles has not given his 100% for this film, the dialogues were not punchy, not even one stand out scene which took the movie to the next level.

Lal who is an excellent actor was also not fully utilized, the less said about Rajisha & Gouri, the better, what is the role of 2 heroines in the film, I don't understand at all. If you look at it from an outside perspective, the movie is about one angry lad taking on the entire local police and the rest of the crew is put in place just to get the 2.5 hrs length time.

Watchable, only if you have spare time in hand.
FURY_44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 02:17   #1883
BHPian

My dear Kannadiga brothers,

Can you please suggest me which are the must-watch recent movies of Puneeth Rajkumar and Sudeep?

Recently, I had watched both Yuvarathnaa and Robert and I felt Yuvarathnaa was much better than Robert, which I felt lame in terms of the storyline!

I'm a Telugu guy and I watch other language movies as well apart from our Tollywood movies!
Old 17th May 2021, 07:22   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Karnan - Amazon Prime
Watchable, only if you have spare time in hand.
Movie is more on caste oppressions and dignity of a community along with how state and its powers are helping the oppressor( more representation of Dalits in powerful positions might help to understand their plight )

Asuran”s backdrop is also the same but here it’s more explicit: Dalit deities , name of the characters. This has got its inspiration from Kodiyankulam caste violence that happened in 1997. I loved the movie, it’s songs and the characters. Yes Asuran is more gripping but this is more artistic.

For me, Karnan is a must watch

Last edited by greyhound82 : 17th May 2021 at 07:43.
greyhound82 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 09:14   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Movie is more on caste oppressions and dignity of a community along with how state and its powers are helping the oppressor( more representation of Dalits in powerful positions might help to understand their plight )
The directors debut movie Pariyerum Perumal which had also dealt with caste oppression's was fantastic to watch, it was a cult movie. I guess both Dhanush & Mariselvaraj wanted to try something on similar lines but failed.
FURY_44 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 09:49   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Nayattu: Malayalam - Netflix.

What a gripping movie. Contrary to some opinions in this thread, I liked the ending.
What powerful acting by Joju, without over-doing even a bit. I also liked Kunchako Boban. I think he is one of the most improved actors now-a-days in Malayalam Cinema.
vibbs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 17:00   #1887
BHPian

Nizhal - Malayalam - Amazon Prime

Another psycho thriller from Kunchako. After watching Nayattu and with the kinda build-up and Kunchakos unusual getup, had a lot of expectations. As such a pretty good movie till the climax. Finally it turned out to be one of those thriller movies where the director and writer didnt know how to end the movie on a high. Need to take a training from Mr. Jeethu Joseph on this. Also could not connect some of the dots and the actual need for some of the gimmicks like Kunchakos face mask. Even without these, the story could have still been the same.

Conclusion : A good thriller movie minus the climax. Keeps the viewer trying to figure out how the story is going to end and what the twist would be, till the last 10 mins when everything goes down the drain.

Rating : 3/5

Manam - Telugu - Disney hotstar

Watched it seeing Nagarjunas thumbnail. There was a tamil dubbed version. An ok ok feel good movie. The main attraction is having the entire Nagarjuna family in the movie - Nagarjuna, father Nagarao, son Chaitanya, DIL Samantha, wife Amla, younger son Akhil... And a rebirth story connecting the 3 generations in a funny manner which is the main highlight of this movie. Some of the jokes might not register if you dint know that the actors had an actual family connection.

Conclusion : Good for a one time relaxed afternoon watch.

Rating : 2.5/5

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 17th May 2021 at 17:13.
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 18:40   #1888
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watched Karnan in Amazon Prime.
Rating: 4/5.

Dhanush nailed it when it comes to next door boy/hero characters in all his films & this is not an exception.

The film is about caste politics in TamilNadu, way back in mid 90's & it's said to be based on real life incident happened at 1995, though the director denies it.

Worth watch & there is a bit of violence as well which kids will feel uncomfortable & you can pass through those sequence if needed.

Note: Personally i hate these kind of films (and watch only thriller, comedy or adventure films always), but only when we watch it, we can understand how much pain people are going through because of these things.
Fiestaboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 19:44   #1889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
^Operation Java is a very good watch. Rating 4/5.

Unfortunately it is streaming without subtitles in ZEE5 which is very strange. Hope they add the sub titles so that non kerala audience can also enjoy this movie. As good as some of the other highly rated recent releases. Many of the cyber incidents mentioned also really happened.
Subtitles have been updated for operation java in ZEE5.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 20:14   #1890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Subtitles have been updated for operation java in ZEE5.
Thank you Rajeev. I usually watch each and every recommendation where members rate anything above 3 stars. Watched quite a few over the weekend too. This one was on my list and glad you reported now that STs are now available for this.

Have caught up with more than half a dozen flicks over the weekend that went by and loved them all. This thread and each of the recommendations are simply brilliant.

How I wish I could post reviews of some of the recent gems like - Joji, Nayattu, Cinemabandi, Disciple & Ganvesh (Both Marathi) but my list runs really long .
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks