Old 3rd April 2021, 17:29   #1786

Re: The Regional movies thread!

I'm waiting to watch Kurup. Wonder when is the release?
Old 3rd April 2021, 20:16   #1787

Watched Telugu romantic movie " Shaadi Mubarak" on prime video, nice movie, did not find any major flaws in the story. Small budget movies by new directors are the best.

Recommended for anyone who like love stories, "Pelli choopulu" kind of movies.

https://app.primevideo.com/detail?gti=amzn1.dv.gti.d0bc21fb-a414-cd46-b1b6-146800db00ef&ref_=atv_lp_share_mv&r=web

Last edited by SKC-auto : 3rd April 2021 at 20:18.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 09:52   #1788

Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Irul - Malayalam
Started off like any other typical horror/thriller, got little bit interesting midway and then it was a downhill. Nothing new or exciting, it's just an ordinary thriller which we have seen countless times. Disappointed. The acting and cinematography was good though.

Rating - 2/5
Completely agree with the rating. Stylishly shot, but the plot was weak and I found even the acting quite average. Saubin struggled, Darshana's drama background really showed (which can be a handicap when it comes to movies) and Fahad fluctuated between his Trance and Thondimuthal characters. Looking forward to Joji now.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 12:40   #1789

Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The Great Indian Kitchen (Malayalam)
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Which OTT can we catch this one please? I am not able to locate this on Prime/Netflix/Hotstar/Zee/Sun
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here's a post that refers to the OTT platform where it is available. This one is on my wishlist too and I plan to watch this over this weekend.
The Great Indian Kitchen now streaming on Amazon Prime.

A worthy watch! Highly recommended.
ashvek3141 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 14:13   #1790

Good to know.

I watched the Great Indian Kitchen on dailymotion.com. I’ll watch again on Prime.
Old 7th April 2021, 05:18   #1791
KPR

Watched in Netflix 'Mandela' a tamil film on election. My rating should be 4.5/5. Had this film been released a month prior to TN election (voting happened yesterday 06.04.21 and the film got released two days earlier only) it would've been a slap at the face of parties.

Last edited by KPR : 7th April 2021 at 05:19.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 07:04   #1792

IRUL - Malayalam (Netflix)

We ended up watching this over the long weekend as a family movie night screening. Heavy rains and the theatre effect at home added to the ambience portrayed in the movie.

Supposed to be a whodunnit thriller, there are ofcourse loopholes if analysed. Soubin in a role that wasn't exactly his genre, Fahad literally breezed through this one. Got to give him credit for playing psycho roles like it comes naturally. Joji, an upcoming movie with Fahad will be one to watch out for, surely.

We actually enjoyed this one. Some parts were interesting, some parts superficial, but on the whole I think it was time well spent as compared to other movies we could have watched.

Rating : 3/5
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 00:06   #1793

IRUL 3.5/5
JOJI 3.5/5

Watched both these in my newly setup home theater having 125 inch screen, awesome cinematography & effects, especially IRUL surround effects were amazing!! though its ending was average.

Last edited by splitsecond : 8th April 2021 at 00:09.
splitsecond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 08:16   #1794

Joji (Amazon Prime, Malayalam) – 4.5/5.0

Just one word – Brilliant!

The disappointment of Irul was fully compensated by this one. Slow-paced movie but the narration is such that you will never feel a lag at any point. And all the performances were top-notch; Fahad performed brilliantly as expected from a Dileesh Pothan movie but I felt Baburaj was the star of the show – subtle and powerful!

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th April 2021 at 08:17.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 08:52   #1795

Watched Mandela, Irul and Joji over the last few days.

Really liked Mandela(Netflix). Yogi Babu was very good. Was good to see him in a solid lead role as opposed to his typical sidekick roles. 4/5

Irul(Netflix). Average watch. I felt Soubin struggled a bit in the out burst scenes. Fahad was his usual self and Darshana was also very good. 2.5/5

Joji(Prime). Unlike most reviews which have declared it a masterpiece. I found it an ok watch. Reminded me of the 'art movies' of the 80's and 90's. The Adoor Gopalakrishnan type movies that critics rave about and get all the awards. As a simple Malayalee looking for entertainment, you wonder what the fuss is about. . Jojy to me was like that( Just my personal opinion as an armchair critic ). Of course, great performances by all of the cast especially Baburaj. Long time since we have seen him in a solid character. 2.5/5.

Going back to my favourite pet peeve of the current Malayalam cinema, most of them seem to be dark themed or thrillers. So missing the light hearted comedies we were famous for. Just looking at 2021- Priest, Irul,Joji, Kala, Love to name a few and the 3 releases coming this week, Chaturmukham, Nayattu, Nizhal. All in the dark thriller mode.
Rajeevraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 09:51   #1796

Joji (Amazon Prime, Malayalam) – 4.5/5.0

Just one word – Brilliant!
Yes watched and couldn't agree more. Baburaj is the winner here.

It also bought me memories of similar movie "Irakal" by K C George starring Ganesh Kumar.

Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 10:55   #1797

Really liked Joji and planning to watch it again in a couple of days. I am a big fan of dramas that explore characters. Found this to be very well made. Also found the rawness of the film to be very real. I am sure there are such real-life people out there [like PK Kuttapan].

An additional plus was the brilliant cinematography!

Open question - Wouldn't some of the swear words be censored had it been a theatre release?
Old 8th April 2021, 13:11   #1798

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
So missing the light hearted comedies we were famous for. Just looking at 2021- Priest, Irul,Joji, Kala, Love to name a few and the 3 releases coming this week, Chaturmukham, Nayattu, Nizhal. All in the dark thriller mode.
Thanks for the list. Though not a native malayalam speaker, an ardent fan of Malayalam cinema. I think you can look forward to Minnal Murali, which I am also eager about. I agree about the malayalam comedy movies from Kerala. They actually tell an outsider a lot of cultural quirks, which is hard to notice in serious films. For eg. I loved the musical comedy Amen.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 8th April 2021 at 13:14.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 13:49   #1799

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Joji(Prime). Unlike most reviews which have declared it a masterpiece. I found it an ok watch. Reminded me of the 'art movies' of the 80's and 90's. The Adoor Gopalakrishnan type movies that critics rave about and get all the awards. As a simple Malayalee looking for entertainment, you wonder what the fuss is about. . Jojy to me was like that( Just my personal opinion as an armchair critic ). Of course, great performances by all of the cast especially Baburaj. Long time since we have seen him in a solid character. 2.5/5.
I agree with your review, although it is far from the art movie types of the 80s and 90s. I really liked Baburaj's character and performance in the movie. Overall, I think the movie is an ok watch.

I hope to see Fahad playing a "normal" character in a movie. Looking back at his Malayalam films, it seems he has been playing some sort of psycho character in his movies since 2018, except maybe "C U Soon". It's getting a bit tiring.
Old 9th April 2021, 10:14   #1800

I feel Joji was just brilliant. We are introduced to the characters and their individualities during the course of the movie with a hint there and a dialogue here - unlike regular movies where separate space is given for characters to develop. The dark humour looked more like a Lijo Jose movie than a Dileesh Pothen one. Loved the photography, editing also. The music too was brilliant, though a hint of Vivaldi - Four seasons could be felt at places