Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:34   #1666
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

I loved the 'Paava Kadaigal' too. These are real stuff that is happening around us and the different directors have bought out those harsh realities beautifully in each of those stories. A bit heavy, but a good watch.

Aside - a quick word on 'Triples' on Hotstar. ( Tamil ). It is not a movie per se, but a good watch. Its silly, some good laughs, a lot of holes etc..but it was a fun watch. I am not sure why they had to make it into 'Episodes' instead of a movie.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:10   #1667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
She is great! Can totally own any role - her first movie was the amazing Maheshinte_Prathikaaram. Do give it a try if you can stomach a great movie in Malayalam. I think it's there on Prime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Maheshinte Prathikaram is on Prime. Another good one of Aparna is "Sunday Holiday". A light watch. She is also a pretty good singer.
On Prime, It comes in the search result but then says video isn't available. I don't see it on other OTT platforms too.
Attached Thumbnails
The Regional movies thread!-screenshot_20201222180445_prime-video.jpg  

hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:23   #1668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
On Prime, It comes in the search result but then says video isn't available. I don't see it on other OTT platforms too.
Looks like it has moved to the Malayalam platform 'Manorama MAX' . Unfortunately available only if subscribed.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 00:10   #1669
Distinguished - BHPian

Paava Kadhaigal on Netflix is a masterful watch and equally sensitive and disturbing both. Four moving stories with a common running theme leaves you choked. Kudos to Ronnie Screwvala and the directorial team to have kept the stories real and incisive and coming up with this gem.

The stories force you to think that these incidents happen to this day and that we don’t even get to know the pain and sufferings of the people involved. Of all the stories, the one involving Prakash Raj is the most disturbing and the most moving one is the one titled Thangam for sure. Recommended watch absolutely.

Jallikattu on Amazon Prime is another little gem. The movie is our Oscar selection this year and involves a story about a missing bull. How the missing bull effects the whole narrative of the village is what the movie is all about. The underlying themes is what makes the movie wonderful to watch. Recommended watch again.
Old 27th December 2020, 12:59   #1670
BHPian

Watched Kali yesterday. Was thoroughly impressed by the plot and cinematography. It's a good watch especially because it has a less than 2 hour running time with engrossing plot and good on screen acting.

I've become a fan of DQ after watching OK Kanmani, Kannum Kannum and then Kali this year.
Old 8th January 2021, 23:34   #1671
BHPian

Maara ( Short form of the protagonists name Manimaaran), Tamil on Prime Video is a decent remake of Malayalam movie Charlie. Unlike many other remakes, the Director has not veered away from primary plot.
Madhavan has done a no lesser job but DQ still wins. I liked the opening few minutes of the Tamil version better. Felt Parvathy's character was a little loud.

4 stars
Marshall is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 09:54   #1672
KPR
BANNED

Watched Pavakadaigal. Thangam is watchable for Kalidas's acting is so good. Love panna Uttrunum is enjoyable. Rest are below average.
2.5/5.
Old 9th January 2021, 19:46   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see Teaser of K.G.F Chapter 2 Trending at #1 on YouTube since release and it has already amassed a mind boggling 100 M views in under 48 Hours.

The makers smartly created a Teaser that cuts across all Languages as compared to earlier multi-lingual films that release a separate video per language. Based on what I read on some articles this is a new World Record

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 9th January 2021 at 19:50.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 21:48   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
When its official Telugu remake - Uma Maheshwari Ugra Roopasya - debuted on Netflix, Maheshinte Pratikaram was removed from Netflix India.
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 23:17   #1675
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Maniyarayile Ashokan (Malayalam). A one time movie. The first half is rather well built and second half a little draggy. The second half just couldn't carry the momentum from first half.

A movie about a bachelor marrying a plantain tree to ward off horoscope problems and the story unfolds from there. The lead guy (Gregory) also debuts as a producer through this movie I guess.
Old 11th January 2021, 05:57   #1676
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Watched Maniyarayile Ashokan (Malayalam). A one time movie. The first half is rather well built and second half a little draggy. The second half just couldn't carry the momentum from first half.
IMHO, it was the worst movie of 2020. And I say this despite liking both DQ as well as Gregory.
Old 11th January 2021, 09:04   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Maara ( Short form of the protagonists name Manimaaran), Tamil on Prime Video is a decent remake of Malayalam movie Charlie. Unlike many other remakes, the Director has not veered away from primary plot.
Madhavan has done a no lesser job but DQ still wins. I liked the opening few minutes of the Tamil version better. Felt Parvathy's character was a little loud.

4 stars
I tried this and had to quit after 45-50 minutes. The plot was yet to unfold and it was a drag. I don’t know if the movie gets interesting after this, but a long dragging one with no semblance of what the movie / plot was made me quit.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 11:36   #1678
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I tried this and had to quit after 45-50 minutes. The plot was yet to unfold and it was a drag. I don’t know if the movie gets interesting after this, but a long dragging one with no semblance of what the movie / plot was made me quit.
While my wife liked Charlie (having interests in arts etc), I didn't enjoy it. I'd like to think Maara will not appeal to all equally.
Old 11th January 2021, 12:30   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
While my wife liked Charlie (having interests in arts etc), I didn't enjoy it. I'd like to think Maara will not appeal to all equally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I tried this ... one with no semblance of what the movie / plot was made me quit.
True, the temperament required is slightly different, not everyone might like it.
Old 11th January 2021, 13:03   #1680
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Same goes for me - somehow it did not click, not exactly able to pin-point on any specific aspect. And I hear that Maara though adapted, is quite different from Charlie. Will give it a try sometime this week

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks