Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2020, 15:28   #1576
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
[*]Hoichoi: Bengali only. Came across it when I was searching for a specific movie. Haven't tried it because they didn't seem to have a trial version and also mentioned their entire inventory is not subtitled.
A lot of Hoichoi content is available in MX.
Old 17th July 2020, 17:08   #1577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Zee5 and its companions (Voot, Sony Liv) are missing - because they are mostly Hindi?
Forgot to add mxplayer. Some of the other streaming services like Zee5, Eros are already there on Airtel Xstream, so I didn't mention that in particular since many contents from various streaming services are available on Airtel.
Old 17th July 2020, 20:43   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Watched Kappela (Malayalam, Anna Ben, sreenath bhasi, Roshan Mathew). Lovely little film with great performances and a good message. Streaming on Netflix.
Was about to subscribe NetFlix to watch this, but then found the movie on YouTube too

Does anyone have a review of "Parmanu"?
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 20:17   #1579
BHPian

Uma Maheswara Ugra Roopasya on Netflix - Telugu with subs.

This is an official remake of the 2016 Fahadh Faasil movie - Maheshinte Prathikaaram
The original Malayalam movie too is on Netflix so for now, that movie has been removed from the Netflix library so people do not watch both back to back & compare.

The movie is a faithful remake. The first scene itself - hero washing his slippers in the waterfall - reminds one that this is not a typical Telugu movie.
The hero - Satya Dev - does a great job. It is good that they did not take an over-the-top hero for this or we would have faction fighting, item dances and the usual tropes that you find in many Telugu & Tamil movies.
The movie was to release in April 2020 but thanks to the pandemic, it was released on an OTT.
Those who haven't watched the original - do watch this one. You will thoroughly enjoy the film.
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 21:56   #1580
Senior - BHPian

French Biriyani had me in splits. Great comedy, and good performance overall. The comedy was just too good. Brought out the cultural diversity in a subtle way too.
Would rate it 3.5/5
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:00   #1581
BHPian

French Biriyani - Kannada (Amazon Prime)

Director Pannaga Bharana tried to make Priyadarshan sort of movie but certainly could have been better. Being T. S. Nagabharana's son, the expectations will be high though

Being a regular visitor to Shivajinagar area, where the film is shot, I can connect well with the characters in the film. Danish Sait as usual at his best but felt was not utilized to his potential - understandable as his role is limited. Rangayana Raghu is at his best, as usual. Sal Yusuf as French expat has done well.

The story writer has tried to cram too many facets of Bangalore life in a 2 hour movie. Cab drivers, auto drivers, police, journalists, con men, shady characters, and add to that a confused / lost foreigner and we have a Khichdi.

Rating : 2.5 / 5

Last edited by AltoLXI : 2nd August 2020 at 10:03.
Old 9th August 2020, 10:50   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Shivaji Surathkal: The Case of Ranagiri Rahasya [Kannada, Zee5]

Watched Shivaji Surathkal episodically over two days.

I am a sucker for whodunnit novels and movies - and in movies, I seek them out in as many languages as possible (in books too, but translations). And Google knows this, like it does about every other aspect of our lives. So I wasn't surprised when it surfaced a news item that Shivaji Surathkal was getting an OTT release. A quick perusal of the review convinced me that it is worth a dekko.

First of all, it is far more mature and complete in its story and suspense element when compared to movies of the same genre I watched in many other languages. There were loose ends (no story writer is Alistair MacLean), but mostly overlookable. The denouement is satisfying though I had figured it out. The way the two threads in the story got connected and tied up I felt had some loopholes but that could be because I was reading subtitles and not understanding the dialogue. There are no "hidden" clues that so often are presented in these sort of movies.

Felt the lead actor (the investigator) is overdoing it a bit. Maybe that's how his fans like it.

Streaming on Zee5.

Last edited by binand : 9th August 2020 at 10:51. Reason: Added a formatted title
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 14:54   #1583
KPR
BANNED

Just now finished watching Sufiyum Sujatayum in Amazon prime. 2/5. Movie lacked a strong storyline. But the movie location is quite good. Anyone know which place of KL was it shot?
Old 14th August 2020, 11:31   #1584
BHPian

Law Point on Prime
Malayalam with subs.

My cousin suggested me this movie and it is a good movie to watch on a lazy day.
Kunchacko Boban & Namitha Pramod are outstanding.
When I checked out Wiki, I found that Namitha was 18 when the movie released and what a fine actress she was at that age.
I will start seeing more of her movies.

Kappela on Netflix
Malayalam with subs.

What a movie. Don't want to say anything since I do not want to give spoilers.
Do watch if you want an entertaining evening.
Annie Ben's movie selection process is outstanding. Hope she has a great career.

Power Pandi on Netflix
Tamil with subs.

A movie by Dhanush and a great road movie. Do watch.
Story is about an ex-stunt master who feels his son does not respect him so he goes out on the road.
Meets up with a bunch of roadsters and what happens after that.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 09:24   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Safe [Malayalam, Amazon Prime]

One word recommendation - avoid. Horrible movie, ridiculous plot. Apparently a group of people could distribute a standalone IoT device, hack into sundry utility databases within a few minutes and kickstart rescue operations of women in trouble utilising the mobility of a biker gang or an FM station's reach. Apparently the scruitiny of nominations papers for an election does not involve any sort of background checks that would bring to fore an impersonation of the scale in the movie.

Can't think of anything redeeming.

Last edited by binand : 17th August 2020 at 09:26.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 14:07   #1586
BHPian

I watched 2 Gujarati movies few weeks back just to experience new flavours in movies.

The first one, Golkeri (2020) was a sweet romantic comedy and drama which showcased a few amusing as well as heart touching moments of parents trying to get their son and his fiance together after a fight. I would rate it 3.5/5.

The second one was Dhunki (2019), a movie around a couple of IT professional friends trying to run a food business. Again, a very nice one time watch movie that captures the trial and tribulations of running a business, getting funding etc. I would rate it 4/5.

Both these movies are available in Amazon Prime Video, nice relaxed weekend watches.
jphukan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 14:35   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
I watched 2 Gujarati movies few weeks back just to experience new flavours in movies.

Golkeri (2020)
Agree on Golkeri. It was bittersweet movie.
Very well portrays the issue which a highly successful folk may face and how the near and dear ones are always there for him / her.

Would watch Dhunki soon. Thanks for recommendation.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 01:26   #1588

Law Point (Malayalam)
A very nice movie with an interesting plot.

Kappela(Malayalam)
Interesting movie on a simple storyline.

Mayaanadhi ( Malayalam)
A passionate movie with well played characters by Aishwarya and Tovino.

Varathan(Malayalam)
A Fahad special.

Take-Off (Malayalam)
A wonderful movie which portrays the reality of Nurses being safvd from conflict zone in Iraq.

Virus (Malayalam)
Realistic portrayal of how kerala handled Nipaah virus outbreak.

More Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu movies to continue.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st August 2020 at 03:30. Reason: .
Ram_BMWTravel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 08:55   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Goyenda Junior [Bengali, Hotstar]

My tryst with the whodunnit genre continues.

After exhausting all the Abir Chatterjee / Byomkesh Bakshi movies available on the various OTT platforms I started looking at other movies in the genre. The first attempt was a very slow paced (to the extent of being boring) Meghnadbodh Rohoshyo; this was the second.

Here the investigator is a high school student, along with his sidekick who's the actual police investigator (the two are real life son and father I'm told; it shows in their chemistry). The investigation part is rather bland and comes to an end abruptly not by virtue of any Holmsian chops displayed by the kid, but just because the culprit chose to expose themselves.

Still, it was a decent watch and probably kids would enjoy it.
Old 21st August 2020, 09:16   #1590
BHPian

Vikrithi (Malayalam)

Suraaj and Soubin star in this movie based on real life incidents showing how irresponsible use of social media can wreck havoc on one's life.

Good one time watch. On Netflix.
rajivr1612 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks