Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 13:52   #1636
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Halal Love Story

Thanks to all who have recommended the movie above. Such a delightful little movie. The climax scene is the one where every pre conceived notions break for everybody despite the dogmas. Not outstanding but the way they have created the funny scenes involving the so called ‘halal’ ways are hilarious, specially that refusal to drink colas scene !!

This is the beauty of streaming platforms that we are getting to see contents from various languages and some outstanding ones at that.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 30th October 2020 at 13:54.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 13:02   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Putham Puthu Kaalai

Absolutely loved this. A brilliant one after "Sillu Karupati". Not all short stories were good, but it's definitely a good watch that shows almost all human emotions being portrayed in these movies.

Rating - 4.5/5
Thanks a lot for recommending. Enjoyed the movie to the core. I liked 4 stories out of 5. Lots of emotions well conveyed. Life is beautiful!
Old 1st November 2020, 21:17   #1638
Distinguished - BHPian

Putham Pudhu Kaalai Nicely put movie of short stories. Loved two of the stories specially, slice of life stories always have this beauty about them.

I am just hooked onto Malayalam content on Amazon, such delightful stories. Saw Kumbalangi Nights and loved that too. This guy Faahad Faasil is superlative in the movie.

Aapla Manus A Marathi movie starring Nana Patekar, Sumit Raghavan and Iravati Harshe is a take on loneliness felt by people of old age and their acceptance among their children. The movie uses suspense as their main instrument leading the viewer to many unexpected angles, clever work I say. The movie is complex and unique in its treatment . Highly recommended, streaming on Netflix.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 22:57   #1639
BHPian

Miss India Telugu movie with English subs on Netflix

My verdict - avoid this movie even if someone is sponsoring your Netflix subscription.

Why are folk churning out half baked products on OTT services without fine tuning their movies to make some sense. This movie would have been an utter flop if released in theatres. Even Keerthi Suresh and Jagapati Babu together cannot resurrect this dumpster fire of a movie.

This movie could have been a masterpiece if the heroine - villain dynamic was fleshed out more and exploited but sadly it turns out as badly as a bland flat cup of filter coffee. The heroine wants to inculcate a tea drinking habit in the US and her main opponent is a Coffee chain baron who is also an Indian. And she chooses "Miss India" as the brand for her tea - I applaud the genius who thought a tea chain could be called "Miss India"

You have the usual tropes of her family not wanting the girl to get into a business, want her to get married after her education. Fortunately there are no cheap comedy tracks or actors slapping each other and calling it humour. (most Telugu & Tamil members will know what I mean by this)

Colour Photo Telugu movie with English subs on AHA

This is one of the best movies I have seen on any OTT platform during this lockdown period.
Nice to see Telugu comedian Sunil venturing into a villain role. Kudos to supporting actor Suhas for getting such a great role to showcase his talent.

The movie is about a dark skinned poor boy who is loved by a fair skinned upper class / caste girl.
The hero knows he has zero chance with the heroine and keeps avoiding her till she practically forces herself into his life. What happens to their love story, why does the villain feature in such a simple story are spoilers I do not wish to give away.

Do watch this movie. It is a better made product than "Miss India"
Ithaca is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 09:30   #1640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

My verdict - avoid this movie even if someone is sponsoring your Netflix subscription.

Why are folk churning out half baked products on OTT services without fine tuning their movies to make some sense. This movie would have been an utter flop if released in theatres. Even Keerthi Suresh and Jagapati Babu together cannot resurrect this dumpster fire of a movie.
We are watching this in instalments to laugh at the absurdity of it all.
Totally agree with your review, though.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 11:35   #1641
Distinguished - BHPian

Any reviews on Gatham (Telugu)? Stopped midway as I found the psycho dude's acting a bit amateurish.
Old 9th November 2020, 11:44   #1642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
We are watching this in instalments to laugh at the absurdity of it all.
Totally agree with your review, though.
Yes, this falls in the "so bad its good" category. Many unintentional laughs with this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Any reviews on Gatham (Telugu)? Stopped midway as I found the psycho dude's acting a bit amateurish.
The acting across the board is amateurish but from a story point of view, it has got good twists and turns. Lot better movie than "Miss India" type nonsense that is regularly churned out. Everyone in US is a Telugu guy though
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:04   #1643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

A little bit of a spoiler below:

What an absurd movie it was. Seemed ok till the starting of the the set up of the Miss India Chai Shop-Although it took a very long to get there. Then within a span of 3-4 months, the shop is launched, becomes the hottest thing in America(through a single shop), the owner upgrades to a swanky Mercedes and gets a 'rich' make over and becomes 'Businesswoman of the year' (in 6 months), then as expected the evil villain plots her downfall, gets into a debt trap by the 9th month, and then somehow manages to recover(in a good old fashioned manner nothing to do with her business acumen which she is shown to be very good at) and back to the original popularity in the 11th month and all is well again.

At the very least have the common sense to show the story playing out over 3-4 years.

I think the director thought, I have Keerthy Suresh, that should be good enough. Just like the director of Nishabdam thought he can make a block buster just by having Anushka Shetty and Madhavan.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 9th November 2020 at 12:08.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:36   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Mild Spoiler Alert:

And during the launch, they decide on the name of the brand on the stage that too as an after thought after the question is asked . Long time since I had such laughs while watching a movie. Joke would have been us if this movie had seen a theater release though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
A little bit of a spoiler below:

I think the director thought, I have Keerthy Suresh, that should be good enough. Just like the director of Nishabdam thought he can make a block buster just by having Anushka Shetty and Madhavan.

Last edited by arvind71181 : 9th November 2020 at 12:38.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 17:47   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Soorari Potru: This is the new Tamil movie starring Suriya, has released on Amazon prime and i believe it has released in Telugu as well. So this is supposedly a fictionalised take on the journey of Captain Gopinath, the founder of Air Deccan. This is not a raw, realistic take, but rather has been made for the consumption of the masses. Not that its a bad thing at all, the director manages to keep the viewers engaged and there isnt a dull moment in the movie. After some really bad movies like NGK and Kaapaan, Suriya finally manages to bring home one of his best. Its an irony that something so much better than many of his earlier movies had to release thru OTT. This one truly deserves the big screens!

There are a lot of commercial and tear jerker scenes, but surely one of the better Tamil movies off late.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 13:21   #1646
BHPian

Aakashame Haddhura / Soorrari Potru -

After a long time, Surya finally managed to score a sensational hit, despite the trailer similar to his previous movies.
This is absolutely a Emotional RollerCoaster and it is no wonder , an out and out Surya's movie ( not undermining the effort of Director Sudha Kongara) the way he carried the whole movie on his shoulders.

This is the story of a common man and his unreal dream and his motivation that drives him entwined with his struggle not just with the overbearing Indian Bureaucracy & Privileged Lot, but with his parents , wife , friends and Boss.

Kudos to the debutante, Aparna Balamurali, who encashed completely the opportunity she got and it is fortunate she got such a brilliantly written role , unlike the common damsel-in-distress/mindless eye candy.

And Sudha Kongara deserves all the praise for making the movie with a complicated and not so popular theme - Low cost aviation , intertwining with the periodical setup and socio-cultural elements.

I think only the letdown is the shallow writing of the Antagonist and lack of scope for other actors.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 16:12   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Gatham [Telugu, Amazon Prime]

One of the movies where some travellers along an otherwise deserted road have a car breakdown, find an unexpected samaritan who offers them shelter and food, but over the course of a night they discover not everything is as it seemed. Many twists and turns and coincidences that stretch one's credulity later, the movie ends with practically every character having something to hide/different role to play.

The story is ridiculous from the get-go. If they had based the story in India, it might have been somewhat believable. Anything more I say might work as spoilers so I'll refrain. If you are into thrillers this movie has nothing going for it.

Last edited by binand : 15th November 2020 at 16:15.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 18:02   #1648
Senior - BHPian

Happened to catch Soorarai Potru ( Tamil ) this noon.

The acting jobs are all a tick. What I found hard to comprehend was the over cinematisation / dramatisation of certain scenes. Some of the scenes doesn’t come anywhere closer to the Simplifly book of Captain Gopinath.

The names of some people were Paresh ( for Naresh Goyal of Jet ) , Jaz airlines ( I/o Jet ) and Balaiya ( for Mallya). They even had one for the former aviation minister Praful Patel but my memory is failing me now. Found those names a bit funny.

It was just about ok for me. I’ll rate it about 3.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 18:05   #1649
BHPian

Soorarai Pottru was just fantastic! Suriya hits it out of the park with this one after such a long time. With such a natural and convincing performance, brought me to tears once or twice.
The movie and the story of Captain Gopinath (Air Deccan founder) as a whole was very nicely presented with a some dramatization/commercialization to keep it engaging! Kudos to the director for extracting the maximum out of the lead actor.
Too bad this missed the theaters, would have done so well across the states.

I would recommend this to every tamil & non-tamil movie viewers as well.
ridehard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 09:02   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Soorarai Pottru (Praise The Brave) - Rating: 5/5
In all South Indian languages
Amazon prime
I'm a non-Tamilian but this movie had me mesmerised. Watched it twice with subtitles on. It's a simple tale of a man from the village who dreams of starting a revolution by starting a low cost airline. Based on the real life story of Capt. Gopinath of Air Deccan, this movie takes wings and lifts off with the sheer brilliance of Suriya, the hero - and a surprise female lead; Aparna Balamurali. I was just riveted to the screen as the story unfolded, and every element was so spellbinding (Cinematography, music, dance, performances - all round). A truly inspiring 'must-watch', for any Indian who aspires to make the cut. I can bet this will win the National Award, this year.
Attached Thumbnails
The Regional movies thread!-sp.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks