Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2022, 07:11   #2386
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Top class work on Pada. As i mentioned in my review, the flow was brilliant, keeping you engrossed throughout the movie, which says a lot about the editing work.

Good to see you on Team-BHP, and looking forward to more of your work.
Completely agree! Just watched the movie yesterday night. The events unfold a real pace but the scenes are so well-defined and absolutely no gimmicks or abrupt cuts. And great performances from all actors.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 21:51   #2387
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Finding a good horror movie is difficult. More often than not I find the horror movies laughably bad or just gory.
Another horror movie fan here. Once one has exhausted the usual suspects of horror movies, finding a good quality movie becomes more and more difficult.

OT: I've one suggestion to you if you haven't watched it, there's a Tamil movie named Maya (Nayanthara starrer) and it's easily the best horror flick I've watched in the last decade. Do give it a try and I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.

Cheers!

Last edited by aah78 : 5th April 2022 at 17:11. Reason: Typos.
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 10:17   #2388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
OT: I've one suggestion to you if you haven't watched it, there's a Tamil movie named Maya (Nayanthara starrer) and it's easily the best horror flick I've watched in the last decade. Do give it a try and I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.
I have not watched it. Thanks for the tip. Shall be sure to check it out. Saw a few scenes of another Tamil movie "Iruttu", looked promising, might catch up on that as well.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th April 2022 at 17:08. Reason: Quote trimmed. Typos.
Old 5th April 2022, 11:35   #2389
Senior - BHPian

[Lalbagh - Malayalam, Zee5]

A whodunnit attempted in the classic mould. There is a death (established a bit later to be murder). There are a number of suspects who seemingly had the opportunity to kill. Several of them had the motive too. Whodunnit?

A couple in Bangalore celebrate their daughter's birthday with a bunch of close friends. At the end of the party the man goes to sleep and is discovered dead the next morning. An industrious cop takes up the job of identifying who among these people killed him.

Very Agatha Christie-like vibes in this one, but the plot is quite shallow. Everyone present at the party had grudges against the man, and maybe in some cases it might even stretch to murdering him - but early on we learn the man was suffering from a chronic disorder and might not have survived for long anyway. The means of killing was borrowed from a Christie novel (who in turn credits Shakespeare for it) which I could see from a long way off.

Some loose ends too. Not a well-packaged one. But a short movie (< 2 hours) and reasonably entertaining. The city of Bangalore is very well showcased.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 11:41   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I have not watched it. Thanks for the tip. Shall be sure to check it out. Saw a few scenes of another Tamil movie "Iruttu", looked promising, might catch up on that as well.
Iruttu is movie with good plot, but bad acting takes a lot away from the movie. So I suggest you watch Iruttu only if you've run out of options. Another movie I would suggest is Demonte Colony, if you haven't watched already. It's a low budget movie with a simple plot, but packed with some nice performances by actors. Another very low budget horror/thriller I recommend is Ambuli.

Cheers!

Last edited by aah78 : 5th April 2022 at 17:08. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 17:10   #2391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Interesting opinions on Bheeshma Parvam. I haven't watched it myself. But it seems that those who watched it in the theatres are generally more impressed with the film that those who watched it on OTT platform. I am not only referring to the opinions here but also outside the forum.

Is this down to the theatre experience? Watching the action unfold on the big screen is definitely something that home viewing cannot match.

Another factor could be expectations. After generally good reviews from people who watched in theatres, the expectations from a movie will be greater for someone watching it on OTT platform. So it's easier for the movie to fall short of high expectations.
This is definitely true. While a theater experience is important for all films, some films are made for the big screen and will not create the same impact when seen on a smaller screen. One point as you mentioned is distractions, people would rarely sit through without checking phone or doing some house hold stuff or if watching at night, in the comfortable setting of home, we may just nod off for a bit. That is enough to miss a few key scenes although you don't realize it. The second is the content consumption device itself. Most of the OTT consumptions happen on mobiles, laptops and then TV's (typically in the 32-42 inch range). Very few viewers will be watching on large screen TV's and even lesser folks will have a dedicated sound system.

The other interesting comment I heard was from an interview by Prithviraj in an interview couple of days back when asked about the OTT vs theater debate. He said this: "Some films work well with individual viewing. If you sit and watch it alone on a small screen also, you will connect and enjoy it. On the other hand, some films are made for community viewing. For such movies the energy and the reactions of people around you add to that experience".

Films like Bheeshma Parvam, Hridayam and even RRR fall under this- category -Apart from the visual and auditory scale, the community viewing elevates the experience.

Pretty sure when RRR comes on OTT, lot of people will say-what was the fuss about!
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 10:11   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another horror movie fan here. Once one has exhausted the usual suspects of horror movies, finding a good quality movie becomes more and more difficult.

Cheers!
Watched it last night. We loved it! Good movie it was and some genuine jump in the chair moments.

Watched it on the Vi app on phone screenshared to tv.

Now to watch Iruttu.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th April 2022 at 15:21. Reason: Please avoid spoiler elements :)
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 10:23   #2393

Quote:

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Watched it last night. We loved it! Good movie it was and some genuine jump in the chair moments.

Watched it on the Vi app on phone screenshared to tv.
Thanks for the recommendation. I too watched the movie yesterday via SUNXT app with Dolby Audio. It was a good movie that made me glued to the screen.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th April 2022 at 15:21. Reason: Quoted post edited
mailbalaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 19:10   #2394
Senior - BHPian

[Irudhi Pakkam - Tamil, Prime]

Another in the long list of police procedural whodunnits that Tamil cinema has been churning out over the years. This time the investigating officer is one who self-deprecatingly admits to having no Holmes chops, that he got the job in compassionate employment quota. His technique, which has been somewhat successful for him, is to follow each suspect to the far end where they are either exonerated or arrested for the crime.

The victim is an author who lives with her boyfriend. The actual killer is also apprehended not too far into the movie, but when it becomes evident that he was forced into committing the crime the cops have another task - who hated this lady so much that they would hire an amateur to kill her?

The eventual reveal of the killer would have been clear to regular watchers of the genre but the real interesting part for me was the motive. Short movie, gripping watch.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 19:36   #2395

Anbe Sivam (2003) -Tamil - Netflix

Got this movie as a recommendation from a friend last week and boy o boy - I loved it.
Can seem like preachy to some but it's a breath of fresh air considering the environment in our country today. Never considered the thought that "Love is God" i.e. meaning of Anbe sivam.

Not a thriller or a masala entertainer but certainly food for soul. A timeless classic.

Rating - 5/5
Attached Images

micky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 20:41   #2396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post

Not a thriller or a masala entertainer but certainly food for soul. A timeless classic.

Rating - 5/5
A fantastic movie. I think it was a commercial flop, but now a cult classic.
Old 8th April 2022, 10:53   #2397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Thank you.
I'm the editor of the movie.
Great Work- with such a simple story line, the narration was extremely engaging, which speaks of the incredible editing.

It was a wonderful watch. Riveting drama bringing the untold stories of the vulnerable groups .

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post

"Love is God" i.e. meaning of Anbe sivam.

Rating - 5/5
One of the greatest movies of Kamal. The duo of Kamal-Madhavan was absolutely fantastic.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 15:39   #2398
Senior - BHPian

I watched Irudhi Pakkam and the Kannada dubbed version of Cold Case, a well-directed movie with Prithviraj in the lead role, Janamaithri was the most-watched movie amongst my family members in 2021.

Last edited by deehunk : 8th April 2022 at 15:41.
Old 9th April 2022, 10:05   #2399
Distinguished - BHPian

Naradan-Malayalam-Prime-Tovino

A movie that tries to delve into the world of the TRP hungry media and the lengths they go to get exclusives and top the ratings. Multiple subjects are discussed - media financing, ethics, owner interference, sting operations etc..

While it was a decent watch, felt it tried to cram too many things into the first 1.5 hrs and then slowed down into one elongated sequence and then ended abruptly. There is no proper backstory to Tovinos character that helps us understand why he behaves the way he does. Tovino does well, so does Anna Ben and Renji Panikker, but the best performance was from Indrans in a short and effective role. Honestly considering the roles he gets and his performances in them, now look forward to watching films just because he is there.

Rating 2.5/5

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 9th April 2022 at 10:06.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 10:05   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Super Sharanya - 3.5/5 Malayalam (Zee 5)

A nice one time watch comedy movie. At first we did not have much hope but we ended up sitting through the movie till end. Small cast, simple and hilarious treat for youngsters. The lead character (Sharanya) done by Anaswara was really good. Excellent acting by all.

A fun filled entertainer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks