Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2022, 17:51   #2296
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Garuda Gamana Vrishabha vahana - a fantastic Kannada gangster movie on Zee 5.
Set in Mangaluru along with wonderful music.
werfish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 20:12   #2297
Senior - BHPian

"Putgosi Life Purusotte Illa" with Late Sanchari Vijay in lead role is a good movie on OTT, "One Cut Two Cut" is a complete disaster with nothing, "Amrit Apartments" by new comers is also a watchable movie on OTT.
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 21:09   #2298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
"Putgosi Life Purusotte Illa
Just a small correction...it is "Puksatte" not "Putgosi". A nice watch indeed.

Amruth apartments is also a good watch. Neat execution of a good plot with no unnecessary diversion. Most of it is shot just outside my apartment
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 21:12   #2299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Garuda Gamana Vrishabha vahana - a fantastic Kannada gangster movie on Zee 5.
Set in Mangaluru along with wonderful music.
Second this recommendation. Very nicely done with a limited cast and gives you a deja vu feeling of Company (RGV's 2002 movie).
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 11:30   #2300
Distinguished - BHPian

Meow - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-mv5bod_.jpg

It was just ok. I felt it drifted away at times. But overall, a decent watch. I liked the driver this time. He used to don some irritating roles before. Felt he matured this time.

Available on Amazon Prime.

Rating - 3/5
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 01:27   #2301
BHPian

Watched the Bengali film Bony (Hoichoi).

Reasonably faithful to the classic novel, although the paucity of budget shows in the sci-fi film.
Kanchan Mallik is very good in his cameo, Parambrata solid as usual and this is another solid "acting" performance by Koel. Post motherhood she seems to be choosing solid roles rather than the glam doll roles of yesteryear and surprisingly, she is quite a good actress.

Disclaimer: My opinion of her may have been unduly influenced by movies like 100% Love, Paglu etc.

3.5/5
chinkara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 08:18   #2302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Watched the Bengali film Bony (Hoichoi).

Reasonably faithful to the classic novel, although the paucity of budget shows in the sci-fi film.
Kanchan Mallik is very good in his cameo, Parambrata solid as usual and this is another solid "acting" performance by Koel. Post motherhood she seems to be choosing solid roles rather than the glam doll roles of yesteryear and surprisingly, she is quite a good actress.

Disclaimer: My opinion of her may have been unduly influenced by movies like 100% Love, Paglu etc.

3.5/5
Hello chinkara, your post came as a relief. Before your post I'd come to believe that there was no Bengali film audience in our forum.
Being a probashi Bengali and coming to Kolkata relatively recently, I haven't seen a lot of Bengali films. I have seen a few of the newer films and found them to be good watches (The Byomkesh films, Bhooter Bhabishat, Hemlock Society among them). After your post, I'll try and watch "Hoichoi". Now I'm going to post more frequently and hope more Bengali contributors emerge.
Old 13th February 2022, 08:50   #2303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello chinkara, your post came as a relief. Before your post I'd come to believe that there was no Bengali film audience in our forum.
Being a probashi Bengali and coming to Kolkata relatively recently, I haven't seen a lot of Bengali films. I have seen a few of the newer films and found them to be good watches (The Byomkesh films, Bhooter Bhabishat, Hemlock Society among them). After your post, I'll try and watch "Hoichoi". Now I'm going to post more frequently and hope more Bengali contributors emerge.
Hoichoi has now become the default app for watching Bangla shows and movies. If you haven’t already, then do watch MAANDAR steaming on Hoichoi. It’s a brilliant adaptation of Macbeth and wonderfully made series.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 08:53   #2304
BHPian

Saw ‘Mahaan’ on prime movies, felt the director wanted to do a Quentin T type of a movie with very convenient happenstances. Found it very boring and acting over the top TBH. 1/5 would be my rating.
Old 13th February 2022, 14:28   #2305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Hoichoi has now become the default app for watching Bangla shows and movies. If you haven’t already, then do watch MAANDAR steaming on Hoichoi. It’s a brilliant adaptation of Macbeth and wonderfully made series.
Do they have English subtitles for the movies? Though a non Bengali, am a fan of Bengali masters. But find it a bit difficult to follow the language in the movies
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 15:21   #2306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Do they have English subtitles for the movies? Though a non Bengali, am a fan of Bengali masters. But find it a bit difficult to follow the language in the movies
They do have subtitles in English. Also, if you are fan of Bangla Master’s then ZEE5 has all the collection of the great masters of Bangla cinema. In fact, ZEE5 has some of the most brilliant movies from great masters like Satyajit Ray and the others. The thing with streaming platforms is that I enjoy Malayalam movies now more than ever since I am getting to see some quality content across languages.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 19:02   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
They do have subtitles in English. Also, if you are fan of Bangla Master’s then ZEE5 has all the collection of the great masters of Bangla cinema. In fact, ZEE5 has some of the most brilliant movies from great masters like Satyajit Ray and the others. The thing with streaming platforms is that I enjoy Malayalam movies now more than ever since I am getting to see some quality content across languages.
Seconded.
Hoichoi is more for some recent content, although it has some classics as well. After the fallow 80s, 90s and 00s Bangla movies are having something of a renaissance (not as much as Mallu movies though).

Zulfiqar, Baishe Srabon, Dwitiyo Purush, Mandar series, Ekenbabu Series, Shabar Trilogy, Vinci da (also on Amazon prime I think), Posto, Bhooter Bhabishyat etc. makes the subscription worthwhile. If you like classical music, you can try out Tansener Tanpura and its ongoing sequel Rudrabinar Abhishap although personally I found it a little too long and corny at parts.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 12:04   #2308
Distinguished - BHPian

Freedom Fight - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-freedomfightmoviereview.jpg

Although, it's got very good reviews, I didn't like it much. Maybe, couple of stories were reasonable while others were a bit too much (swearing/offensive scenes). Not a family entertainer but a realistic take on some issues in the society.

Available on Sony Liv.

Rating - 2/5
Old 15th February 2022, 12:50   #2309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Amruth apartments is also a good watch. Neat execution of a good plot with no unnecessary diversion. Most of it is shot just outside my apartment
Thanks. I should watch this. The actor playing the Cop/Auto Driver is my childhood friend - Balaji Manohar. I've only seen the trailer thus far.
Old 18th February 2022, 12:40   #2310
BHPian

Watched Freedom Fight, Bhootakalam, Madhuram on SonyLiv

Freedom fight - 3.75/5

All the stories had a message. Which would make one think. I mean honestly, the problems showcased are genuine. We all see it in real life and at times dont give more thought about it. The ladies working in shops requiring a proper washroom or the life of a septic tank worker. Do we think about their plight when we go to a shop or call people to clean our shit. Even if we do, do most of us care beyond a point.

The plight of the girl who cant find a suitable lover would be the movie with the least seriousness. Felt it as the humorous one of the 5 stories.

The story about the challenges of the elderly people are genuine and have seen similar real life experience with few of my relatives who have health and memory issues.. And managing alone as their kids are settled in foreign countries. Such elderly rich have a strong financial support but very less emotional support, while the poor may not have either - both brought out equally in the movie.

The fish story also dint have much of a punch. Where there was always an option to explain and resolve matters, rather than get so tensed. And every keralite knows the red chilly fish curry always tastes better the following day . So why waste it. The only purpose could be to show how rich vs poor people feel about food. But still the location where the story is happening does not match this exactly.

Though some of the dialogues were offensive and there was some amount of swearing, the point is certain classes of societies use this kinda language in their day to day life and that is reality. Similar to how the upperclass use words like ****, shit etc in every sentence they utter and no one gives a heck. And this being a realistic anthology, it is in a way required to get that actual feel.

Bhootakalam - 2/5

I am huge horror movie buff and love watching horror movies of different genres and languages - international as well as desi. And so when my wife said Ramgopal verma gave a high rating for this movie with the comment that it was the best indian horror movie made post his Bhoot, I was like - Have to watch this !!!!

But have to admit I was a little disappointed. Not sure if I missed something that Mr.RGV saw that scared him or gave the kick. . Revathi and Shane did a decent job. Otherwise the movie followed the usual set pattern - old house, dark interiors even during day time, yellow low voltage bulbs during the night, self closing and opening doors, moving objects etc etc etc.

My wife also mentioned that the first half is a little dragging and the actual story starts post interval. So I keep waiting and waiting till the final scene, thinking that was the interval. And WHAAAAAT !!! The end credit starts rolling. If the makers plan to have a sequel to explain what is in the house and more, that would be interesting. Or else its like a dead end. Again did I miss a hidden thread in the movie?? If anyone has an answer, would love to hear that.

Madhuram - 3.75/5

Simple movie with a lot of simpletons (one of the words that the came up most in the subtitles). May not be as good as Home. But still this was good in its own way. The acting of Jojo, Indrans etc were pretty good. Though its not the new gen romance, but a more mature romance that touches your heart strings, its not old school.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 18th February 2022 at 12:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks